• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there an MBA. graduate, doctorate crowd here on GAF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amory

Finally finishing my MBA next week, with a concentration in health sector management.

Took me 3 and a half years doing it part time (nights). Going to school while working full time is a bitch. Hardest thing I've ever done in my career

Necrovex

Got my school psychology applications submitted along with all my supplemental forms and LoR. Deadline for my main universities are the 15th, and New Years. Now the waiting game begins.

gazele

Banned
I am currently looking into magnesium transporter and TRPM7 currents in Jurkat cells. I been performing whole-cell patch clamp and perforated patch on Jurkat cells with and without mutations in those channels I mention. Along with changing the external solution as well.

Haha frankly I just started this project about 2 months ago so I am still unsure of the details ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BTW I hate patch clamping. Even though I was able to pick it up "fast".

Do you have to manually suck to break the membrane?

I had to do that for a lab rotation and could never get the hang of it

Always so weird to me that you literally sucked open a whole in a cell haha

I see, I always liked immunology aspects. I actually did handle some macrophages for calcium imaging when I first started my lab rotation in my current lab.

Haha true dat. I guess after doing the same thing hours during a day, you should pick up fast on it :p But for real patching a tiny ass cell is a pain!

Well regardless, I wish you the best of luck and let me know when you get in ;)

BTW we should keep in contact as fellow neuroscience students :3

that makes it at least 4 people in Neuroscience here, eh

I'll definitely stay in touch with you guys! Always good to hear from fellow neuro people.

I want to get into more flow cytometry (only use one laser) and wasnt really using it for the traditional sorting with antibodies, used it to quantify protein in cells.

Western Blotting and is my fav technique. Followed by ELISAs.

Yeah, we have two different flow cytometers in our facility, one for regular flow and one for cell sorting. Each has three lasers for up to 8-9 colors. Things can get really complicated, real fast, especially when people don't bring in proper controls and then it's impossible for me to help them out with compensation of fluorescent spillover.

I do enjoy doing some immunoassays. We got a multiplex immunoassay instrument a little while back that's been fun to mess with.

Do you have to manually suck to break the membrane?

I had to do that for a lab rotation and could never get the hang of it

Always so weird to me that you literally sucked open a whole in a cell haha

Yep, it took me a while to figure how much I should suck. I feel like I am just gently smacking my lips whenever I do it.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I'll definitely stay in touch with you guys! Always good to hear from fellow neuro people.

Yeah, we have two different flow cytometers in our facility, one for regular flow and one for cell sorting. Each has three lasers for up to 8-9 colors. Things can get really complicated, real fast, especially when people don't bring in proper controls and then it's impossible for me to help them out with compensation of fluorescent spillover.

I do enjoy doing some immunoassays. We got a multiplex immunoassay instrument a little while back that's been fun to mess with.

anyone here going to Allen Brain next week?

Was doing a western blot today and was wondering why my protein just wasnt transfering even after four hours...didnt know the new Immunoblot pvdf membrane I ordered had to be activated with methanol. Why cant bio rad include instructions with orders :(

WedgeX

Banned
Finished my first final of the first semester, a microecon class.

Guess I won't be an urban economist after this...

I have 1 week left in my last course of my MS in EE. I am freaking the fuck out because I have the final next Monday and the project is due next Tuesday and I don't feel ready for either. Work has really been beating me up recently so I am behind on so much.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Was doing a western blot today and was wondering why my protein just wasnt transfering even after four hours...didnt know the new Immunoblot pvdf membrane I ordered had to be activated with methanol. Why cant bio rad include instructions with orders :(

Dont... all... pvdf membranes have to be activated with methanol first? But yeah that's an easy thing to forget about, at least you only wasted a day on it!

I've got my MA from a fancy school in London, UK.

But, it was mostly a box ticker for me personally, completely abandoned that profession / aspiration once I graduated with nearly $30,000.00 CAD in debt from my studies.

[debt paid, decision justified]

woodland

Been studying for awhile for the GMAT, getting ready to take it again on the 19th and possibly again before New Years. I'd love to get a 700+ but will be cutting it close and don't think I can wait til March apps:/

Really hoping to get into Duke, UNC, or UVA.

ruxtpin

Banned
Curious if anyone has any thoughts on the worthwhileness of a PhD in IT? Recently completed my Masters in IT, but wasn't sure how much return on investment I would see if I attempted a PhD. Feel like a lot of advanced IT jobs look more favorably on experience over multiple degrees.

Edit: Part of me thinks it would be enjoyable - in masochistic sort of way - to get the PhD. The other part of me thinks I should just focus on programming/application dev in my own time, eventually making a career shift (in healthcare IT now).

Curious if anyone has any thoughts on the worthwhileness of a PhD in IT? Recently completed my Masters in IT, but wasn't sure how much return on investment I would see if I attempted a PhD. Feel like a lot of advanced IT jobs look more favorably on experience over multiple degrees.

A PhD is a research degree. I don't really see what you would get out of it especially since you are thinking of it in terms of what jobs it will get you. What sort of research is there in IT? Do you want to be a professor? If not, I would try to start getting work experience instead.

I ground out a Masters in Comp Sci over the course of a calendar year. After graduation I got a job for over double what I made previously. Would make the decision over again in a heartbeat.

tokkun

Edit: Part of me thinks it would be enjoyable - in masochistic sort of way - to get the PhD. The other part of me thinks I should just focus on programming/application dev in my own time, eventually making a career shift (in healthcare IT now).

My standard advice is to only do a PhD if you have a concrete goal that requires a PhD. Something like wanting to be a professor, a research scientist, a psychologist, work at a national lab, or some other job where most of the people have PhDs. It isn't really essential that you end up doing that after you graduate, but it's important to have a well-defined goal rather than a hand-wavy one.

That or be someone who is independently wealthy with nothing else better to do in their lives.

VegiHam

Gaf, sorry if this isn't graduate enough for this thread but my masters degree is not going well. At all. I work so hard all the time to just scrape through and I'm so stressed and I'm just not good enough and I barely see my friends or my family any more and I never have time to exercise and today my sensei chewed my out in front of a bunch of other people because my martial arts skills have atrophied and I hate everything and I just don't see the point in anything anymore and I don't wanna carry on and keep trying so hard at every area of my life only to fail at all of them.

I just feel so useless and pathetic.

So, people with experience here's my question: does it get any better? or is it all downhill from here?

Gaf, sorry if this isn't graduate enough for this thread but my masters degree is not going well. At all. I work so hard all the time to just scrape through and I'm so stressed and I'm just not good enough and I barely see my friends or my family any more and I never have time to exercise and today my sensei chewed my out in front of a bunch of other people because my martial arts skills have atrophied and I hate everything and I just don't see the point in anything anymore and I don't wanna carry on and keep trying so hard at every area of my life only to fail at all of them.

So, people with experience here's my question: does it get any better? or is it all downhill from here?

How long have you been working on your masters?

I'm currently an undergrad with my masters next year, and yeah you're making everything sound terrifying!

Maybe the key is time management? I've had a load of assignments the last month and haven't done any exercise or even proper shopping. Meanwhile if I spent maybe 20 minutes at the start of the week nailing down when and where things would get done I would've probably found the time to do that shit.

But you're gonna be way more overworked than me. Projects are hard and there are low times, but the next breakthrough will be worth it. Hope this helps man, I'm pulling for you!

Slo

Finished my final yesterday, and anxiously waiting on the results. First class in 15 years, so it's been an adjustment to say the least.

Any other former PhD students who mastered out in this thread?

Was going for a PhD in Biochemistry, left early with a masters 3 months ago, easily one of the best decisions of my life.

manakel

Got my school psychology applications submitted along with all my supplemental forms and LoR. Deadline for my main universities are the 15th, and New Years. Now the waiting game begins.
I'm in school psychology now! Realized it's not for me.. so I just submitted all my applications for social psychology doctorate programs on dec 1st.

Edit: with that being said, there's such a shortage of school psychologists across the nation, so you should have no problem getting accepted. Best of luck!

Kayhan

Publishing sucks. Anyone else agrees!?

It is often rough, yeah.

But then a few years later you see that your paper has been cited by 72 other articles on PubMed and you feel good about it as the memory of what a bitch to publish it was fades.

VegiHam

How long have you been working on your masters?
Feels like 500 years, but it's only been a couple of months.
I'm currently an undergrad with my masters next year, and yeah you're making everything sound terrifying!

Maybe the key is time management? I've had a load of assignments the last month and haven't done any exercise or even proper shopping. Meanwhile if I spent maybe 20 minutes at the start of the week nailing down when and where things would get done I would've probably found the time to do that shit.

But you're gonna be way more overworked than me. Projects are hard and there are low times, but the next breakthrough will be worth it. Hope this helps man, I'm pulling for you!
Ah I'm sorry man! Please don't let me put you off from following your dreams, I'm just personally overwhelmed at the moment.

Time management would absolutely help, yeah. But I always get easily distracted by shiny things and really don't have the discipline to work at this stuff.

Cheers for the support! I'm just dealing with this at the same time my personal life is becoming a train wreck so it's a bit overwhelming.

Necrovex

I'm in school psychology now! Realized it's not for me.. so I just submitted all my applications for social psychology doctorate programs on dec 1st.

Edit: with that being said, there's such a shortage of school psychologists across the nation, so you should have no problem getting accepted. Best of luck!

Your edit is partly why I decided to pursue the field. All of my applications are for NASP-accredited schools, so I have the opportunity to work in a blue-heavy state.

Florida is on point for their programs. One of my choices includes a master's degree in HR once one finishes their EDS program.

tokkun

Or maybe it's just something you enjoy doing.
I hate being career minded, I don't think I could ever do it.

If you enjoy learning or doing research, those are things you can do without being in a formalized degree program. If you don't plan to use the degree, I'd encourage some self-introspection on what you are looking to get out of it that you couldn't get from alternatives that are less demanding on your time and money.

Skittles

Feels like 500 years, but it's only been a couple of months.

Ah I'm sorry man! Please don't let me put you off from following your dreams, I'm just personally overwhelmed at the moment.

Time management would absolutely help, yeah. But I always get easily distracted by shiny things and really don't have the discipline to work at this stuff.

Cheers for the support! I'm just dealing with this at the same time my personal life is becoming a train wreck so it's a bit overwhelming.
i hear the first semester is usually the worst for a lot of people. hang in there man, you'll get the hang of it.

starting my master's next spring, super excited since I'll be moving for it and I'll have a gta position

i hear the first semester is usually the worst for a lot of people. hang in there man, you'll get the hang of it.

starting my master's next spring, super excited since I'll be moving for it and I'll have a gta position

Semesters with taking classes + teaching three classes + lab research + writing a research plan and doing a committee meeting were the worst for free time. Not enough hours in a day.

Fou-Lu

I definitely feel the heat nearing the end of my first semester. In some ways I feel like I have hit a wall where Physics has become too complex for me, but I could just be being hard on myself. Still I look around at the other students and they seem to be thriving while I feel like I am crashing and failing. For the first time ever I didn't complete an assignment because I just didn't have time and found it too difficult and it felt awful.

I should be studying for a final right now, but I don't even know what to do because the midterm totally blindsided me with what the Prof expected out of us. It felt so different from the assignments and the in class examples and even the textbook. I don't think I have ever gotten a lower mark on a midterm than I did with that.

Of course it is exacerbated by the fact that I have realized in doing computational work, that I really enjoy and have a passion for programming over physics. I am feeling some regret in choosing Physics over Comp Sci all those years ago and kind of just want to get started on trying to make myself a career in programming. At the same time I am one semester down on a Masters degree, it's really not that much more time in my life to complete it and I will gain skills and a credential from doing so. I am hoping I'll have some spare time over the summer with no TAing and no classes, just research to build on my programming skills as well.

I definitely feel the heat nearing the end of my first semester. In some ways I feel like I have hit a wall where Physics has become too complex for me, but I could just be being hard on myself. Still I look around at the other students and they seem to be thriving while I feel like I am crashing and failing. For the first time ever I didn't complete an assignment because I just didn't have time and found it too difficult and it felt awful.

Try not to worry about how everyone else is doing, hard I know. I remember back in first year everyone else seemed really smart. Then by second year we'd all gotten to know eachother and hang out more, then I realised everybody was leaning on everybody else. I still don't like how I seem to be a lot slower than some people on my course, but in trying to clamp down on that. Gotta focus on getting the best out of yourself.

No worries dude, my degree is a bachelor's and a Master's rolled into one so anything you say can't stop me!
Literally. I asked my advisor what it would take for me to finish early. He really didn't look pleased.

Anyway, I feel you experienced academics might be able to help me here. So I'm studying chemistry, and have to pick a project for my master's year at some point next semester. How essential is the project choice to my options afterwards? I feel like I want to move into product development of some kind (not pharma though) so should I be looking at synthetic projects? Or, I'm pretty solid on nanotechnology (Thanks Kojima), so should I explore that and then be able to land a job in a different field?

Also the subject of publishing. Word I'm hearing from my Dad is that getting something published during the year might be the most valuable thing for your CV. How true is this? And if so, should I discard everything else and pick the project that had the highest chance of resulting in my name on a paper?

If you can help me SmartGaf I'd really appreciate it!

ryseing

Didn't even realize this was a thread. I just found out that I'm starting my master's in January! Staying at my undergrad so the transition shouldn't be too bad.

I was a PS undergrad so I'm going for an MPA.

manakel

Your edit is partly why I decided to pursue the field. All of my applications are for NASP-accredited schools, so I have the opportunity to work in a blue-heavy state.

Florida is on point for their programs. One of my choices includes a master's degree in HR once one finishes their EDS program.
My program is a joint M.Ed/EdS program, and I'll have my EdS after finishing my internship in June. Although I likely won't stay in this field (you never know, though..) I'm extremely thankful for the opportunities it has awarded me working with such diverse populations.

I will say though, there is definitely a reason as to why there is such a shortage in this field. I don't think programs in general do a good job of informing students what the field is actually like, not until you start practicum your second year. It's very, very, VERY much report writing and testing. It can very depending on the type of school district you work in, but I would say more often than not, most of your days will be spent writing reports.

Edit again: Speaking of NASP, I'll be at the NASP conference in February presenting research; if you're anywhere near San Antonio, you should check out the conference to get a feel for what it's like!

Dre3001

So does anyone on GAF have a second graduate degree here or what is the general opinion on a second graduate degree?

I currently hold a Master of Public Administration (MPA) and am considering getting a Master of Science in Finance degree. My main goal and primary reasoning behind this decision, is that I believe this will enhance my knowledge base in business principles and eventually assist with me earning a CFA. This would be absolutely vital in propelling me career wise as I currently work at a small investment trust and feel as if my lack of a financial background is a roadblock in advancing much further than where I currently am.

Any thoughts on whether this would be a worthwhile pursuit?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
So far having a Master's Degree has done zero favors for me in the job seeking department... I did frame it and put it on my wall though.

Chaplain

First year of Seminary is complete. So far, after eight MDiv classes, my GPA is around 3.70. I have 19 classes left, plus four CPE (Clinical Pastoral Education) courses which will take about a year.

I wanted to say thanks for all the input, suggestions, etc.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
What kind of degree?
M.S. in Education.

Do jobs in your field often ask for a master's?
It's actually a requirement in the teaching profession after a certain point. You can start out without one, but they make you go get one later (I think you need one by four years after getting certified or something like that). I'm just starting out though.

Between my undergrad and graduate school, I've pulled through 17 semesters total. Seventeen.

Yikes.

5 calendar years of grad school and 4 of undergrad for me. All together I was in school from the age of 4 until I was 27. So at the time of finishing my PhD, I had been in school for 23 years, or about 85% of my life. It won't be until I'm 47 years old that I will have spent more of my life out of school than in school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom