• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Nostalgia Critic |OT| He Remembers It So You Don't Have To

Cheerilee

Yeah I figured that wasn't Adam West. The guy has a pretty distinct voice and that barely sounded anything like him.

In my defense for not noticing, Batgirl was completely stealing the scene.

Also, Batman's "no time for jokes" line. Batgirl was crazy to be bringing up these issues in this situation, but she had a real point and Batman seemed like a horrible dick for dismissing what she said as a "joke". I had too much WTF on my brain to realize that something was very off about the line delivery (my ears didn't even register a "blandness" complaint until NC mentioned it).

Also, I just assumed it was Adam West. How can you have "Adam West Batman" without Adam West? The idea is just inconceivable.

AniHawk

boy, doug walker really doesn't have a lot of room to talk when it comes to writing comedy but he sure loves to try.

there was actually a surprising and funny joke with 'that version of me has expired' and then he continues it for thirteen actual minutes.

Really enjoyed the commercial special, as with the other. I just had to be reminded of the BK Kid's Club character. Course they were fair, during that time.

Batman commercial was also weird too.

But I'm with you guys on that ice cream commercial. The hell?!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So I actually saw that Skittles commercial.

Wow, it really is annoying. How did it get so much views - is it because lolrandom?

Disney Sequels We Want

And no 2nd video following that one, though Doug himself is doing Disneycember next week.

CyN78ehVIAIfjz7.jpg:large

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh man, this Disneycember is gonna be about those straight-to-video sequels? This will be an amusing month.

Boss Doggie

Daily reminder that TLK2 is canon no matter how much purists deny it, because even Lion Guard acknowledges it!

And Cinderella III is the best sequel bar none.

Cheerilee

He made a good point about the last movie. Enchanted or whatever it's called. I'd watch that.

Yeah, that one was a good idea, but overall I think NC failed to make any point about what makes a good sequel or about blatant opportunities that the Disney sequels missed. He was mostly just pitching ideas about which sequels he would make if he was allowed to make them, and "It couldn't be any worse than the ones we got, right?" But I'm sure they could be worse.

Cheerilee

Correction:

Doug said that the Disney Sequels appeared because hand-drawn animation was starting to phase out and CG was starting to phase in, so Disney sometimes didn't have work for their 2D artists, and direct-to-video sequels were something profitable for them to do.

But Return of Jafar came out smack dab in the middle of the Disney Renaissance, one month before a little film called The Lion King appeared in theaters. Toy Story did come out a year later, but Toy Story was made by Pixar, not Disney (just a publishing deal), and at the time nobody but Pixar could even dream of being Pixar.

More accurately, after the success of the Disney Afternoon and early Disney Renaissance, Michael Eisner (the soulless money-loving corporate leader of Disney who came to power after Walt died) felt that Disney should expand aggressively, so he founded Disneytoon studios in Australia. Return of Jafar was a Disney Afternoon pilot which ended up making a ton of money in the direct-to-video market, so while Walt Disney Animation Studios (WDAS) in California was hard at work keeping the Disney Renaissance going in theaters, Disneytoon was tasked with the job of whoring out Disney IP in the direct-to-video market, as quickly and cheaply as possible.

After Eisner threatened Disney's lucrative relationship with Pixar (and set Disney's CG wheels in motion, to try and prove that Disney didn't need Pixar, they could do CG all by themselves), Eisner got the boot and Pixar's John Lasseter rose to power, and Lasseter liberated Disneytoon from the dungeon of Eisner's direct-to-video whore-factory.

This is right around the time that the dreaded Pixar Sequels started, but those are an entirely different phenomenon, despite the timing and similarity (Pixar had always wanted to make sequels, good sequels, but their sequel rights were being held hostage by Eisner. After winning them back, it turns out that Pixar is kind of bad at sequels).

Boss Doggie

Yeah if anything the Disney sequels have more ties with their saturday morning cartoon studio than anything else, since iirc they were the ones responsible for the writing and production.

Boss Doggie

Oh he's not gonna review them on release date huh

also considering how KH2 roughly followed Aladdin 2, I wouldn't be surprised.

EDIT: wow, how could doug miss the whole thing? Kassim didn't return because he thought his family was dead, Aladdin was fooled into thinking his dad was changing, and the whole moral is that sometimes you can't change the person into someone you want to

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
You know, since I got the DVD of the trilogy years ago I tried to marathon them all twice and both times I fell asleep during King of Thieves. I have still never seen the complete thing.

Also, I love Return of Jafar. I really do.

Lagamorph

Ehhh, can't say I'm a fan of these quick reviews really. I know they've gotta be short since Doug has set quite the task going through so many films but I prefer his usual style really.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Ehhh, can't say I'm a fan of these quick reviews really. I know they've gotta be short since Doug has set quite the task going through so many films but I prefer his usual style really.

You do realize he's been doing Disneycember for years now right?

zeemumu

I'm sure previous Disneycember reviews were longer and closer to usual Nostalgia Critic style though, rather than these quick fire reviews.

Nah, Disneycember has more or less always been this length. You sacrifice length for quantity

Outside of Lion King 2 and King of Thieves I don't know any other decent sequels. One of the Lilo and Stitch ones might be good and I heard that one of the Cinderella ones gives one of the step sisters character development.

Cheerilee

Nah, Disneycember has more or less always been this length. You sacrifice length for quantity

Outside of Lion King 2 and King of Thieves I don't know any other decent sequels. One of the Lilo and Stitch ones might be good and I heard that one of the Cinderella ones gives one of the step sisters character development.

Cinderella 2 is made up of a couple of shorts, and in one of the shorts one of the stepsisters breaks ranks to pursue her own romance with a commoner, while Cinderella supports her in this. AFAIK, it's regarded as the best short of Cinderella 2 (but that's not saying a lot).

Cinderella 3 is a time travel plot with Cinderella now having to be a proactive heroine and fight to win her happy ending. It's the last Disney Sequel and it competes with Aladdin 3 for the crown of "Best Disney Sequel". Giving Cinderella some agency could either be seen as an unwelcome betrayal of the original, or a much-needed betrayal of the original, depending on your point of view.

Judging by the clips, Doug's going to be including Tinkerbell, which is a legit good-to-great movie, but not for everyone (it's clearly aimed at children, unlike say a Pixar movie, which is usually aimed at all-audiences). Tinkerbell knows exactly what it's doing and executes really well. Although I'd say it's cheating because it's from the wrong era. It was produced by Disney's most artist-friendly leader since Walt, not the most hated and infamous person in Disney's history. If Tinkerbell (or Cinderella 3, since Aladdin 3 is out of the running) doesn't swoop in at the end of the month as Doug's "Christmas miracle", a Disney Sequel that surprisingly doesn't suck, then Doug is wrong and has no sense of taste (but what else is new?).

zeemumu

Cinderella 2 is made up of a couple of shorts, and in one of the shorts one of the stepsisters breaks ranks to pursue her own romance with a commoner, while Cinderella supports her in this. AFAIK, it's regarded as the best short of Cinderella 2 (but that's not saying a lot).

Cinderella 3 is a time travel plot with Cinderella now having to be a proactive heroine and fight to win her happy ending. It's the last Disney Sequel and it competes with Aladdin 3 for the crown of "Best Disney Sequel". Giving Cinderella some agency could either be seen as an unwelcome betrayal of the original, or a much-needed betrayal of the original, depending on your point of view.

Judging by the clips, Doug's going to be including Tinkerbell, which is a legit good-to-great movie, but not for everyone (it's clearly aimed at children, unlike say a Pixar movie, which is usually aimed at all-audiences). Tinkerbell knows exactly what it's doing and executes really well. Although I'd say it's cheating because it's from the wrong era. It was produced by Disney's most artist-friendly leader since Walt, not the most hated and infamous person in Disney's history. If Tinkerbell (or Cinderella 3, since Aladdin 3 is out of the running) doesn't swoop in at the end of the month as Doug's "Christmas miracle", a Disney Sequel that surprisingly doesn't suck, then Doug is wrong and has no sense of taste (but what else is new?).

Really? That's interesting. Might have to watch Cinderella 3 one day. Seems like Once Upon A Time stole that idea for Cinderella's step sister though.

I haven't seen any of the Tinkerbell movies but part of me wishes that they're accurate to the character in that Tinkerbell is actually an awful person 50% of the time because fairies are naturally bipolar due to their size.

Cheerilee

LOL, that's perfect. Beauty and the Beast is one of Doug's favorite movies, so the knife cuts extra deep.

I haven't seen any of the Tinkerbell movies but part of me wishes that they're accurate to the character in that Tinkerbell is actually an awful person 50% of the time because fairies are naturally bipolar due to their size.
They pretty much dropped that part entirely. It's a prequel series/origin story that rebuilds her character from the ground-up as she's born into a hidden fairy society that was not seen to exist in Peter Pan.

First watching it, you can get an odd sense of wondering what's going to happen to move her character from A-to-B, as she becomes some sort of exiled fairy in love with Peter Pan, but after a while you realize that they're never going to adequately go there, and the Tinkerbell movies don't entirely connect with Peter Pan.

Boss Doggie

Cinderella 3 and Bambi 2 are pretty good (especially the former), but some people take offense that it "retcons" character into existing characters (though you'd argue about them having character in the first place).

Brother Bear 2 is also pretty decent especially if you aren't fond of the first film because it does addresses the fact that "fuck, one of the tribesman did become a bear". Also has some really hilarious implications.

I know people have much disagreement from The Lion King 1 1/2 aka TLK3 but somehow they consider it "TLK is ruined!" even though the movie doesn't even interfere from TLK. It's literally a perspective flip and honestly I find it really humorous. Hell I'd argue it isn't too much intruding unlike in TLK2 where Timon and Pumbaa were really interfering with the mood.

And there's a movie like 102 Dalmatians (the title even is a lie - it's still 101 Dalmatians just with a different focus - it's not like Pongo and Perdita gained a new litter) which is relatively harmless and is aimed at children. People have issues with Mulan 2 even though I think that movie, while harmless, is pretty good at actually expanding Li's character (at the expense of Mushu). And there's Pocahontas 2 which I actually puts Pocahontas in a conflict rather than just... well whatever 1 was.

With how Doug got the plot of KoT messed up, I'm kinda worried how he'd view these films. Though honestly, with his "these happily ever endings" comment, does he not realize some of the implications the supposed happily ever endings imply? I mean, 101 Dalmatians ends with a bunch of puppies in a flat (the animated series actually followed it up properly, matching the books), Pocahontas ends seemingly with a happy ending forgetting the implications it had, TLM ends happily forgetting the inherent racism merpeople and landlubbers have, etc.

zeemumu

Cinderella 3 and Bambi 2 are pretty good (especially the former), but some people take offense that it "retcons" character into existing characters (though you'd argue about them having character in the first place).

Brother Bear 2 is also pretty decent especially if you aren't fond of the first film because it does addresses the fact that "fuck, one of the tribesman did become a bear". Also has some really hilarious implications.

I know people have much disagreement from The Lion King 1 1/2 aka TLK3 but somehow they consider it "TLK is ruined!" even though the movie doesn't even interfere from TLK. It's literally a perspective flip and honestly I find it really humorous. Hell I'd argue it isn't too much intruding unlike in TLK2 where Timon and Pumbaa were really interfering with the mood.

And there's a movie like 102 Dalmatians (the title even is a lie - it's still 101 Dalmatians just with a different focus - it's not like Pongo and Perdita gained a new litter) which is relatively harmless and is aimed at children. People have issues with Mulan 2 even though I think that movie, while harmless, is pretty good at actually expanding Li's character (at the expense of Mushu). And there's Pocahontas 2 which I actually puts Pocahontas in a conflict rather than just... well whatever 1 was.

With how Doug got the plot of KoT messed up, I'm kinda worried how he'd view these films. Though honestly, with his "these happily ever endings" comment, does he not realize some of the implications the supposed happily ever endings imply? I mean, 101 Dalmatians ends with a bunch of puppies in a flat (the animated series actually followed it up properly, matching the books), Pocahontas ends seemingly with a happy ending forgetting the implications it had, TLM ends happily forgetting the inherent racism merpeople and landlubbers have, etc.

I'm indifferent to Lion King 1 1/2. To me it was just a Timon and Pumbaa prequel movie. It didn't ruin the series for me or anything.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm indifferent to Lion King 1 1/2. To me it was just a Timon and Pumbaa prequel movie. It didn't ruin the series for me or anything.
Ditto. I loved it actually. I say this as an adult too. Timon and Pumba (Mostly Timon) were my favorite as a kid. It was really funny seeing the story of the first movie told from a different angle.

It didn't try to tell anything new about the original story. Just showed it from someone elses POV.

My favorite part being when they find a new home and are awakened suddenly by Simba's "Just Can't Wait to be King" song and dance.

Cheerilee

Apparently for Pocahontas 2, Disney asked the director to make it, and he said "Okay, can I have a copy of Pocahontas 1 for reference?" and Disney said "It's not out on DVD yet, so no. Have the script on my desk by the end of the week." So the director turned to his Disneytoon co-workers and said "Sigh. Did anyone catch Pocahontas 1 in the theaters? Can you describe it to the rest of us?"

It's amazing. The Disney sequels are such a fascinating combination of talent and adversity.

Boss Doggie

I feel like the Disneytoon peeps are so underappreciated.

Ditto. I loved it actually. I say this as an adult too. Timon and Pumba (Mostly Timon) were my favorite as a kid. It was really funny seeing the story of the first movie told from a different angle.

It didn't try to tell anything new about the original story. Just showed it from someone elses POV.

My favorite part being when they find a new home and are awakened suddenly by Simba's "Just Can't Wait to be King" song and dance.

Also love the twisted line of Mufasa by Timon's mom. "Everything the light touches... is for someone else!"

zeemumu

Disneycember: Lion King II: Simba's Pride

Yeah, this was the reaction to this film that I was expecting. As far as direct to video sequels go, it's fine. Judging it on the merit of the first one doesn't seem fair.

I'm surprised that he mentioned Upendi and not My Lullaby on the list of songs that he liked. Most people go the other direction.

For some reason I have two VHS copies of this film. I think one is mine and one is my friend's that he left over my house a long-ass time ago and never picked it up.

AniHawk

that part is great. i kinda want to watch the film again, but i'm afraid it might not hold up. the movie felt like disneytoon guys having fun and not trying to cling to the past with a much smaller budget.

Boss Doggie

Disneycember: Lion King II: Simba's Pride

Yeah, this was the reaction to this film that I was expecting. As far as direct to video sequels go, it's fine. Judging it on the merit of the first one doesn't seem fair.

I'm surprised that he mentioned Upendi and not My Lullaby on the list of songs that he liked. Most people go the other direction.

For some reason I have two VHS copies of this film. I think one is mine and one is my friend's that he left over my house a long-ass time ago and never picked it up.

Seriously is My Lullaby the most underrated villain song?

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Holy shit that
Cree Summer
ending. Now I see why he picked such an odd subject.

zeemumu

He should really take a loot at Inspector Gadget 2 at some point. It's more accurate to its source material but everything else is worse.

That ending was awesome.

He missed an opportunity to say "Dr. Sandy Claws." And yup ending was good.
Spectacular performance from Cree Summer.

Also lol at 15:17: still waiting for him to tear apart
Fant4stic.

I have yet to actually see that movie. I feel like I should watch it because he'll probably do a clip-less review but at the same time I really don't want to.

Doug Walker and crew usually do clip-less reviews for films that were still in theaters at the time. I.e. Jurassic World, Batman v Superman and Star Wars TFA were all reviewed when they were still in theaters. It's already been around a year since the film in question was released on DVD and Blu-Ray, so I can see that being a regular review. I actually checked out the Blockbuster Buster's review on that film and it was in fact worse than I expected.

Top Bottom