• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 trailer (the real one) [Up: Roll Call video]

McLovin

Well unlike Newfinity Ward, they actually have the ability to make balanced, competitive maps. There isn't a single map in MW3 that's 1/10th as good as Summit.
Yeah I really loved black ops maps. I played mp all the way until mw3 came out. I stopped playing mw3 and cod games a week after mw3 came out. Those maps were terrible IMO.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
what the fuck is this game even about any more?

It looks like they just accepted every idea on the whiteboard.

what a mess.

I'll quote this again for new page only because it makes me giddy:

if you like zombies you're going to be really happy with what we're doing with black ops 2. It's our biggest most ambitious zombies effort ever"
Yeah I really loved black ops maps. I played mp all the way until mw3 came out. I stopped playing mw3 and cod games a week after mw3 came out. Those maps were terrible IMO.
amen. Number one reason I troll IW and praise Treyarch. They get maps.

fernoca

Futuristic zombies!

So far so great. With zombies confirmed... I just need to know if there will be a retro/arcade-mode of sorts like in Black Ops.

Omega

Banned
Because gameplay and 60fps are sometimes better than amazing graphics?

This will be on my long list of game purchases this fall.

Who says good graphics and 60fps can't be done together? Please don't buy into the Activision nonsense. They just don't want to put money into a new engine because well..they're greedy

That money that goes into a new engine that isn't older than the CEO himself could be used to buy that new diamond plated jet they've been saving up for.

Effect

branching storylines?

well that was unexpected

I wonder if this and the non-linear (if true) gameplay is part of why the game doesn't look as good as people were expecting. If it isn't 100% scripted, going from A to B to C and knowing where every single player will be forced to look and what they'll have to destroy, wouldn't you have to sacrifice something for the somewhat random nature of the gameplay?

Thoughts from the other thread:

It looks pretty bad to me, worse than MW3 in a way. It just reminds me of an ambitious mod (that actually got completed due to being a proper game). Maybe it is because I expect the same old crap from Activision- reskinned game, few new mechanics, same old stuff.

I liked Black Ops, so I suppose well done to them for trying something different. However, I'd rather they'd set the game during the late 70s and 80s. You have the oil crisis, the Iranian Revolution, the Iranian Hostage Crisis/failed rescue, loads of third world revolutions and break downs, the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan (could link up to Cod4 by working with a future terrorist as a US spec op- that'd be the controversy sorted), the Falklands War, Iranian Contraband scandal, the Iranian Embassy Siege in London, the final money escalation of the Cold War under Reagan (Star Wars program for example), Chernobyl, the USSR beginning to break down and fall apart, and anything else I've forgotten. Plus all the completely 'made up' scenarios they could use.

Would have been far better.

Edit: shit, they could have even had a Rambo rip off segment at the start of the game in Media Res where you kill loads of national guard in a blood filled rage, shoot up a small town, only to be stopped by your 'Nam commander.

And yeah, the engine is really showing its age now. A lot.

Randdalf

Single player trailer for a game that nobody buys for its single player. Right.

Set in 2025. Horses. Right.

Still use modified Quake 3 engine. Right.

Going to be linear as hell 4 hour campaign with same multiplayer you've already played. Yet people will buy it. Sigh.

Nabs

Hype. I can't wait to play this @ 91fps :D

The campaign stuff sounds interesting. I may actually play a bit before hitting MP.

fuenf

I think that the graphics are at least on par with MW3 it's just that the bright and shiny color-scheme highlights the engines inefficiencies even more. Should still look okay on a TV.

Ridesh

Banned
I was expecting a Future Warfare from Infinity Ward, but okay, kinda want. Call of Duty is a guilty pleasure.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
You are pathetic if you accept that kind of shit with the budget Activision has for marketing this game instead of making it LOOK better.

Sorry for the harshness, but I'd like for fans to always demand more from their favorite game. Especially when you know where money is being moved around.

You think they skimped on budget for the game to market it more? I'm pretty sure they are pushing this old engine about as far as they can...

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
JbXiQ.png

336625-img_1978_killzone2_super.jpg

And please people, don't judge the textures from some stills from smeary youtube video. They probably do suck, but still.

Riggs

Banned
Cool , game will be fun. That engine though is laughable. Coming apart at the fuggin seams like some other poster said.

DomGTAB

Neo Member
Single player trailer for a game that nobody buys for its single player. Right.

Set in 2025. Horses. Right.

Still use modified Quake 3 engine. Right.

Going to be linear as hell 4 hour campaign with same multiplayer you've already played. Yet people will buy it. Sigh.

Everybody knows all horses should be dead by then...

I will buy it, you'll probably buy it too...

hamchan

Take my money Treyarch!

Also the engine does suck yes but it's way too late in the cycle now for them to make a new engine. Next gen is the point I assume CoD gets a graphical update.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Looks pretty cool, love me some "Future" Sci-Fi inspired stuff, really looking forward to what they are doing with Zombies too.

And yeah, the engine is really showing its age now. A lot.

Well luckily we are nearing the start of a new generation, which hopefully means Activision has some developer somewhere working on a new engine that they can carry forward and can scale properly to different hardware.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I'm saying something insightful

*fade to black*

now I'm saying something scary

*fade to black and pause*

now that scary thing has happened!

*PEWPEWPEW building falls over SPLOSION!SPLOSION!SPLOSION!"

demolitio

2025 must be on expensive world considering the vehicles they have would cost billions each. I hope to see SOME current stuff because a lot of the Air Force jets will still be in service then. I don't mind a future setting as long as there's some reality based stuff in there too.

I couldn't tell on my small screen but was that and F-35 going into SVTOL at one point?

Looks dreadful. Basically they've tried NOT to do a rehash...and in the end we've seen this type of thing before.

In no way is this 'Black Ops 2' its much more a new spin off, so am confused its being put in this part of the series...

Waste of time, I'd rather they went further back in time with some gameplay innovations, this just takes current CoD and adds some shiny things. I don't get how this is 'black ops'...

The textures are muddy. Really dreadful. I've seen this kind of stuff on the PS2 quite frankly (in fact a lot of tech based games were, so robots running around just draws attention to this) - seems to me everything that would brand this as 'COD' has been thrown out the window.

DomGTAB

Neo Member
I'm saying something insightful

*fade to black*

now I'm saying something scary

*fade to black and pause*

now that scary thing has happened!

*PEWPEWPEW building falls over SPLOSION!SPLOSION!SPLOSION!"

Love the PEWPEW and SPLOSION part! LOL

Lingitiz

Looks cool. At least it isn't staying modern day like MOH.

Looks dreadful. Basically they've tried NOT to do a rehash...and in the end we've seen this type of thing before.

In no way is this 'Black Ops 2' its much more a new spin off, so am confused its being put in this part of the series...

Waste of time, I'd rather they went further back in time with some gameplay innovations, this just takes current CoD and adds some shiny things. I don't get how this is 'black ops'...

The textures are muddy. Really dreadful. I've seen this kind of stuff on the PS2 quite frankly (in fact a lot of tech based games were, so robots running around just draws attention to this) - seems to me everything that would brand this as 'COD' has been thrown out the window.
I'm not really one to defend CoD, hell I didn't even play blops or mw3, but you're making a ton of assumptions based off a trailer with no gameplay. I agree that the engine is dated though. I could care less about sacrificing graphics for framerate since im on PC anyways.

And here I am again. I know I will enjoy the campaign, always have for cods. Very very cool setup, hopefully this multiplayer delivers where blops and mw3 did not. Call me hyped!!

Avinexus

It appears Activision doesn't care what they put into the single player as long as the MP isn't changed from the cookie cutter formula.

You think they skimped on budget for the game to market it more? I'm pretty sure they are pushing this old engine about as far as they can...

All the budgets and decisions that affect the game are set in stone before Treyarch even touches it. Which is sad as shit for them, but that's Activision for you.

This is a game designed by suits, Treyarch just does the work.

2025 must be on expensive world considering the vehicles they have would cost billions each. I hope to see SOME current stuff because a lot of the Air Force jets will still be in service then. I don't mind a future setting as long as there's some reality based stuff in there too.

I couldn't tell on my small screen but was that and F-35 going into SVTOL at one point?

There are horses :p and obviously the normal tech is reasonably unchanged. I think just generally its going to be that specific technologies become so advanced that they beat conventional weapons.

So if the enemy controls them, the rest of the world and your conventional resources arn't effective against them.

isual

Told myself last year I would not buy MW3, yet I did; rationalized to myself that I wanted to finish the 'warfare' saga, but I still felt empty inside afterwards. I need self discipline to not buy this one.

Seeing that a number of major cities were fucked by WW3 in MW3 are they going to acknowledge anything like the rebuilding efforts or how much damage Markarov's campaign caused?

Top Bottom