• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You're somehow able to visit ONE JRPG town for a week. Which would you choose & why?

-GOUKI-

gold saucer
Gold_Saucer_Outside_Close-up.jpg

Rich!

Might have been posted, bit my choice would be the fallen arm in xenoblade. Being able to look up at the two colossal giants would be incredible. Would be able to visit too, while still having a safe hideout from the fighting above. Failing that, Tazmily in Mother 3 before the pigmask takeover.

-GOUKI-

Offtopic but the hojo mansion used to scare the shit out of me as a child. Wouldnt ever go back after visiting the town.
Shinra_mansion.png

Id go to that town in FFVI Where everyone lies. Then id tell everyone i had a big dick.

Seriously tho, Kingdom of Zeal is great, Santa's house in Secret of Mana, the main village in Chrono trigger is so lovely too - funfair, castle etc. Loved it.

Alrix

Since someone said Lindblum (FF IX) already, I'm gonna go with

cot-lost-odyssey-ss4-large.jpg

Numara - Lost Odyssey
edit: Beaten, should have read more than the first page. High five to other Numara dude. I also wanted to say Malkuth from Tales of the Abyss or those seaside towns from NieR/Lost Odyssey, but can't remember the names. But yeah those seaside towns are really cool imo, plus Numara/Malkuth are really nice with the fountains all over the place, very "blue" towns.

RoyalFool

Banned
gold saucer
Gold_Saucer_Outside_Close-up.jpg

Thank you! Was frantically trying to remember my login password so I could post this last night. The 20 second looping music might drive me insane after a few years mind you.

My other choice would be Gold City from secret of mana, the fact they made a city of of solid gold but then had to flee because it started sinking into the sea makes it temporarily the coolest place to live.

Anyway, my answer is Esthar from FFVIII. I like futuristic utopias and this was one of 'em.

Esthar_streets.jpg

Ragnarok_2.jpg

EDIT: Man, I love the angle/perspective in the above shot. And it gives you a sense of scale of the Ragnarok ... that thing is huge.

I thought I was going to be alone in this one but I find 3 posters talking about this before me. Great minds think alike.

Well, just to be somewhat unique I would have to change my answer to Iwatodai from persona 3

Ravage

Yes, here and Arcadia... Actually a lot of cities from FF12!

I can't be the only one disappointed with the fact that we never got to visit Rozaria. Felt almost cheated actually, i was so looking forward to exploring the cities of the western empire. It's a real pity because FFXII has such imaginative town designs :(

I can't be the only one disappointed with the fact that we never got to visit Rozaria. Felt almost cheated actually, i was so looking forward to exploring the cities of the western empire. It's a real pity because FFXII has such imaginative town designs :(

Yeah same here. There's a lot that I hated about XII, (it was almost the opposite of everything I'd want out of a JRPG let alone an FF game) but it had some amazing cities. Considering the bar that Rabenastre set, I was eager to see the rest.

Ravage

Yeah same here. There's a lot that I hated about XII, (it was almost the opposite of everything I'd want out of a JRPG let alone an FF game) but it had some amazing cities. Considering the bar that Rabenastre set, I was eager to see the rest.

Rabanastre is the kind of place i dream of living in and i usually hate medieval fantasy settings with a passion (prefer modern-fantasy i.e. VIII and Versus).

Magnus

There should be a provision that the JRPG town's music/soundtrack is boomed on permanent loop during your week there. Like, it's a part of living in the town, haha. Should help make the choice more difficult. :)

Myriadis

Final Fantasy XII, Bhujerba. It's a city in the Sky and actually more forested than it looks like. Sadly you can't visit the forest there, but it's clear in the opening video. I also like the Port of Balfonheim.

And if I may nominate a non-jRPG Town, Hyllis Town from Beyond Good and Evil. At least after the events of BG&E.

ZenaxPure

So much FF in this thread, so I choose something else from recent memory: Ebel City in Resonance of Fate. Doesn't happen often in the game itself but there are a few night time shots where you can see the rest of Basel below you and it looks pretty stunning. Actually just going to the world map and looking at the entirety of Basel below it at night is very cool looking. Bright lights everywhere.

I imagine it's a dangerous place to live though, with all the narrow paths with huge drops and spinning gears ready to mutilate your body.

Real answer though = Academia

Cipherr

Toran_Castle_level_4.jpg

Does mah castle in Suikoden I count? Doesnt look like much at first, but by the end of the game it was flllllyyyyy. And dat music!

The town from resonance of fate. Can't recall the name? It had a really unique vibe that I can't quite explain, and is visually interesting. Love that place, damn...

7AWWZ.jpg

FFXI
White Gate

A week means I'll get to fight in the siege events. There's the sea, a tea area, lots of colorful characters, and the astral candescence.

Some of these places have real-life correlatives. People should go out and explore the world - they might find a place they like living!

Personally, I came here to say Chrono Trigger's sky islands. I'd like to live on one...alone.

Some of these places have real-life correlatives. People should go out and explore the world - they might find a place they like living!

Personally, I came here to say Chrono Trigger's sky islands. I'd like to live on one...alone.

This is very true. I guess everyone that creates these places have to get inspired from somewhere in real life.

Enhasa

Neo Member
I like Zeal as a choice except for that it's not a city. As might be obvious, Enhasa is my choice. I want to explore truth in dreams! I want to learn about the power of crystals and talk to Nus! I WANT TO BE THE WIND! WHOOSH!

I was just going to post that as my choice :)

Second would be Midgar. Probably because size wise it is the biggest town/city there has ever been in a jrpg (if it was real and you could visit all of it)? Lots to see and do I imagine.

I think Archades from FFXII is the biggest. It seemed like we only had access to like 0.1% of it.

art-002.jpg

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Why do jrpg towns elicit the most nostalgia? I think its mainly Japanese artistic style is so strong in all their work, moreso than Western stuff most of the time.

Oh come on, you mean you don't want to visit Generic Medieval Village, or Generic Post Apocalyptic Village and all those wonderful western RPG towns?

Would be nice to have one single Japanese RPG discussion on this site without the western RPG brigade coming in and shitting things up, for once. Come on, don't you guys have some anti-Bioware rants to write or something?

Anyways... back to the original topic. Any of the towns in the Baten Kaitos games, or Altamira in Symphonia (it's like living in an RPG Disneyland!). Eshtar, Academia 4XX or any other futuristic city would be awesome too.

can't choose between:

Final Fantasy VIII - The Town of Balamb

Balamb_Town_1.jpg

Balamb_Town_6.jpg

Balamb_Town_2.jpg

or:

Final Fantasy VII - Icicle Inn

IcicleInn.PNG

Icicle_inn.png

guess it just depends on if I'm ready for an ocean climate one day or a snowy climate another day. :D

Oh come on, you mean you don't want to visit Generic Medieval Village, or Generic Post Apocalyptic Village and all those wonderful western RPG towns?

Would be nice to have one single Japanese RPG discussion on this site without the western RPG brigade coming in and shitting things up, for once. Come on, don't you guys have some anti-Bioware rants to write or something?

Anyways... back to the original topic. Any of the towns in the Baten Kaitos games, or Altamira in Symphonia (it's like living in an RPG Disneyland!). Eshtar, Academia 4XX or any other futuristic city would be awesome too.

lol leave him alone, he is one of the "good guys"

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
lol leave him alone, he is one of the "good guys"

I actually wasn't writing that to ~Kinggi~ (well, aside from the first paragraph), but rather the people who come into the thread, complain about JRPGs and say "Fallout New Vegas" or something.

Krujo

Banned
Wasn't there a town in one of the breath of fire games that was made of gold? if so I would hang out there and bring back some bricks.

WallJump

Banned
FFX: Kilika- before
Sin showed up, anyway- tidal wave in the background lol
. Always wanted to live on the water and the wind.

Kilika.jpg

Top Bottom