• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is up with the "My Sex Junk" segment on Bill Nye's new show?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyzer

Banned
I could listen to Crazy Ex-Girlfriend songs all day but I couldn't even make it halfway through this clip. If Rachel Bloom's brand gets tainted because of this (I've seen a post calling her a singing Amy Schumer in response to this clip), then that just really sucks for her and undersells her talent.

what if she wrote it

This song single handily made me almost burn my old Bill Nye VHSs...
Also how is this science again?
I want to learn about physics, nature, the universe!
I mean... biology is a pretty significant component of science, and the main takeaway of the episode is clearly meant to dispel the ignorance that makes people vote against granting trans people the most basic of human dignity.

TJ5lDSo.gif

Cartman86

Banned
He's even gone anti-natalist?

Jesus...
I don't think that is a fair assessment of that episode at all. The show constantly talked about education for women and giving them choices in planning. That was THE thing about this episode. In a round-table discussion where Bill asks one of the guests if we should have forced policies in the developed world one of them responds that we should at least think about it. The other two were strongly opposed based on a couple of reasons. One being our history of forced sterilization of minorities. Bill just lead the conversation and didn't really give his own opinions (though he does do that in the show). Considering the complexity of this whole topic you can probably guess that the final segment where he sort of wraps everything up pretty come comes to the conclusion that we are all sharing this planet and we each need to do our part to share it responsibly. No politics. Actually quite bland and kind of useless, but not anti-natalist.

Anyways

A. For the most part the politics and science of the show are really good. It does a great job of embracing liberal progressive social movements and justice, and at the same time doesn't ignore areas that progressives as of late don't seem to care about (alt medicine, GMO, and other pseudoscience).
B. The format and writing are poor. People are right when they say it's cringe. It's so cringe inducing that it's impossible to tell if someone's negative opinion of this show is because they are a trigger warning joke making ass hole who hates politics in their science, or people with good taste...

I really liked Crazy Ex-Girlfriend season 1, but what I saw of season 2 fell flat. It felt like all the songs from season 1 had been worked on for years and they just couldn't create good content on their production schedule. This was not encouraging.

I can't help but wonder who this show is for. These messages will never reach people who disagree for multiple reasons, the main one being it's complete shit (the show, not the message). If it were spectacular maybe people would be enticed to hang in there when opposing viewpoints were presented, but this trash can't even engage the most ardent supporters of the issues presented in the show.

Having a message doesn't mean anything if it's presented poorly. This crap is so bad it's become a meme for the opposing side.

Speevy

Banned
I hate to take this from the perspective of an educator, but this show completely undermines the integrity of the person behind it.

I grew up with this guy. What the hell?

I can't help but wonder who this show is for. These messages will never reach people who disagree for multiple reasons, the main one being it's complete shit (the show, not the message). If it were spectacular maybe people would be enticed to hang in there when opposing viewpoints were presented, but this trash can't even engage the most ardent supporters of the issues presented in the show.

Having a message doesn't mean anything if it's presented poorly. This crap is so bad it's become a meme for the opposing side.

Yeah...this is the kind of thing that alt-right folks are going to feed on.

impirius

If anything noteworthy happens after the ~55 second mark, can someone please just describe it? It's been a long day, and I just can't handle this video right now

depths20XX

Yep. I've seen everyone rail on the show from climate change deniers, anti-GMO people, right wing people. Shit even people on the left don't like it.

So uhh, great job, Bill...

Permanently A

This show was a mistake. I wanted an adult version of Bill Nye the Science Guy, not The Daily Show But Somehow Even Less Funny Than Current The Daily Show

The show just sucks.

Sometimes talented people get together to do something and it doesn't work.

And sometimes they include a 90s edutainer.

Show is pretty damn bad. It was a big mistake turning this into a show with the live audience

Should have done it like the previous bill nye series with filmed edutainment segments. Not this basura. Dude is out of his element in this revival

Biske

It was a terrible song. She is capable of some amazing stuff. The message was great, I get it, awesome but the song... good lord.

How that got approved and they were like "yeah, this is awesome" I'll never understand.

I mean "Fuck Me, Ray Bradbury" is a true gem.

But that song..... yeesh.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
bill nye truly saving the world. don't remember something as politicised as this drawing all sides of the spectrum together in one voice before.

If they wanted to capture the nostalgia of Bill Nye they should of took his old show and reworked it for a modern day audiences. Instead of doing this.

The song might of sounded really good on paper but it just dident work out in reality. It happens sometimes something sounds good on paper but bad when applying that off said paper.

zeshakag

The alt-right subreddits have been harping on this segment for days already.

I wish Carl Sagan was still alive.

I was watching Cosmos on Twitch. All the little experiments replicating what scientists of old performed to unlock knowledge, its appreciation of context, simple visuals like gathering all the naturally occurring elements, things like those enticed Twitch chat and myself. It was an appreciation of the scientific method. Hypothesis, experiment, and observation.

Sagan delivers it in a way that is more earnest than Bill Nye or NDT. He knows that these things convey themselves.

I feel like popular culture and things like the science march have shifted into taking up science as some team to root for, like you would root for the Marvel cinematic universe. Sagan's cosmos had a refreshing lack of self-awareness and conveyed an appreciation for the actual practice and discipline of science.

I was watching Cosmos on Twitch. All the little experiments replicating what scientists of old performed to unlock knowledge, its appreciation of context, simple visuals like gathering all the naturally occurring elements, things like those enticed Twitch chat and myself. It was an appreciation of the scientific method. Hypothesis, experiment, and observation.

Sagan delivers it in a way that is more earnest than Bill Nye or NDR. He knows that these things convey themselves.

I feel like popular culture and things like the science march have shifted into taking up science as some team to root for, like you would root for the Marvel cinematic universe. Sagan's cosmos had a refreshing lack of self-awareness and conveyed an appreciation for the actual practice and discipline of science.

Where does Mr. Wizard fall on the spectrum

bsp

Sagan delivers it in a way that is more earnest than Bill Nye or NDR. He knows that these things convey themselves.

I feel absolutely similar. I tend to consider things like the Science March as perhaps necessary given the current climate of the US administration, but much of it is still distasteful and conveying the absolute wrong image of science in my mind. "Scientism" use to be a boogieman promoted by the likes of Ken Ham, but they are increasingly becoming validated as "science" gets delegated the role of magical buzzword and tshirt slogan. Cosmos had such a pure and honest outlook on the empirical method, and Sagan's philosophy of science was ironclad to go with it. Modern popular takes on science communication just seem incredibly empty and shallow in comparison. Bill Nye looks on himself as carrying Sagan's torch in part, but he could not be further from the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom