• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moments when you forget basic game mechanics

jonjonaug

Like, times when you think you're stuck or that you broke the game somehow or something is "poorly designed" or just generally inconvenience yourself when in fact you just somehow managed to forget about a basic game mechanic. Some examples off the top of my head...

Breath of the Wild - On Eventide Island you need to put balls into switches all over the island in order to activate the shrine. One of the receptacles for one of the balls is situated on a small island off of the main island, and you need to get the ball into it. It's just far enough away that you can't toss the ball over, but close enough that it looks like you could get it there through some alternate method. So I started trying every way I could think of to get the ball over there. Mostly this consisted of trying to cut down nearby trees and make a bridge out of them, or attaching octo balloons to the ball and blowing it over before they popped. It wasn't until about an hour and three complete resets of the area later that I remembered that I had an ability to create stepping stones out of water since the first 20 minutes or so of the game.

Metroid: Samus Returns - I forgot multiple times during the game that the Spider Ball existed. Including multiple puzzles that made use of it and two late game boss battles where can use it to easily avoid damage.

Xenoblade - I forgot you could fast travel between landmarks after doing it once early on. I didn't remember that fast travel existed until I got to Satorl Marsh, spent a ton of time walking back and forth in Bionis' Leg doing the camp sidequests.

MGS 2 hanging and moving bodies

CQC in MGS 3 and 4, always need to go to the menu

Ground pounding in Mario Sunshine, this one actually made me stuck on a certain shine for quite a while

Steroyd

I don't know if it was basic or because it became a thing like twice ever in the game but Twilight Princess early on highlights there was these invisible things that stops you from jumping as high as you normally can and all you have to do is spin to get them off,it took me more time than I'd like to admit before I figured it out it one of the later dungeons.

Pretty much any item in any game where its sole purpose is to be sold for lots of money. I always forget I have those items even though I might be hurting for cash.

Items in practically every RPG game.

I just use heal spells becuase I have this "save it for later" mentality to the point where I never use items because I forgot I have them.

jonjonaug

I don't know if it was basic or because it became a thing like twice ever in the game but Twilight Princess early on highlights there was these invisible things that stops you from jumping as high as you normally can and all you have to do is spin to get them off,it took me more time than I'd like to admit before I figured it out it one of the later dungeons.

This happened to me too. I thought that this was a bug from the quicksand in the room, so I kept retrying the room over and over until I managed to get past the big gates in it before I would start to slow down. It wasn't until after I saw people discussing the same thing online afterward that I realized what I was supposed to do.

Just last night, as a matter of fact. I was playing Samus Returns, trying to reach a missile upgrade unfruitfully for a good 10-15 minutes or so, having temporarily forgotten that I could freeze enemies into makeshift stepping stones.

koss424

Like, times when you think you're stuck or that you broke the game somehow or something is "poorly designed" or just generally inconvenience yourself when in fact you just somehow managed to forget about a basic game mechanic. Some examples off the top of my head...

Breath of the Wild - On Eventide Island you need to put balls into switches all over the island in order to activate the shrine. One of the receptacles for one of the balls is situated on a small island off of the main island, and you need to get the ball into it. It's just far enough away that you can't toss the ball over, but close enough that it looks like you could get it there through some alternate method. So I started trying every way I could think of to get the ball over there. Mostly this consisted of trying to cut down nearby trees and make a bridge out of them, or attaching octo balloons to the ball and blowing it over before they popped. It wasn't until about an hour and three complete resets of the area later that I remembered that I had an ability to create stepping stones out of water since the first 20 minutes or so of the game.

Metroid: Samus Returns - I forgot multiple times during the game that the Spider Ball existed. Including multiple puzzles that made use of it and two late game boss battles where can use it to easily avoid damage.

Xenoblade - I forgot you could fast travel between landmarks after doing it once early on. I didn't remember that fast travel existed until I got to Satorl Marsh, spent a ton of time walking back and forth in Bionis' Leg doing the camp sidequests.

Yeah I forgot I I control water too. After subsequent attempts I ended up tossing away a palm leaf from my equipment just before hitting the beach. Then when the island takes your equipment, I turned around and equipped the leaf again and later brought the ball over by raft.

Already in your OP, but I think I forgot I had cryonis when I could use it more often than I remembered it. It just never became something I naturally thought to use.

CloudWolf

Items in practically every RPG game.

I just use heal spells becuase I have this "save it for later" mentality to the point where I never use items because I forgot I have them.
This. I often only find out at the end of the game that I had several game-changing buffing items on me the entire game.

Batman Arkham Series:
During combat, I almost always forget to use any gadgets. Just mashing triangle and square like a badass. Honestly, I think it might the reason why I had such a hard time with the City and Knight.

Fluloco

Batman Arkham Series:
During combat, I almost always forget to use any gadgets. Just mashing triangle and square like a badass. Honestly, I think it might the reason why I had such a hard time with the City and Knight.

I think it was more the "mashing" part.

Recall

Batman Arkham Series:

Don't mash and you'll be ok, there is a very deliberate pace and it will give the chance to use all the combat actions.

Everything in games like Deus Ex, Bioshock, System Shock or Prey 2017.

Love those gales but when I watch gameplay videos of dudes mixing the power with the environment and combining them to do incredible killing science stuff, I feel too damn stupid because if I don't have any shotgun ammo left, I'm LOST man.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Just recently in Samus Returns, I reached a lava pool and my mind immediately classified this as a roadblock, to return to when I got the gravity suit. Turns out I forgot the spider ball and I could pass clinging to the upper ledge.

120v

Everything in games like Deus Ex, Bioshock, System Shock or Prey 2017.

Love those gales but when I watch gameplay videos of dudes mixing the power with the environment and combining them to do incredible killing science stuff, I feel too damn stupid because if I don't have any shotgun ammo left, I'm LOST man.

yup... i've seen some Dishonored clips where i would've swore to god they were playing a different game

Msyjsm

After I beat Super Mario Galaxy 2, I took a break for a few years before going back to get all the green stars. Everything was progressing smoothly, until I got to this one level with a green star floating out in empty space. "OK, no prob, I'll just long jump, I've got the timing down pat," I thought to myself, yet I just barely came short. I must've tried that long jump 50 times before a stray movement of the Wiimote reminded me that I did, in fact, have an additional way to increase my jump distance (spinning). Got it on the first try easily after remembering that....

SoulUnison

Banned
There were a couple really embarrassing moments in Zelda: A Link Between Worlds where the solution to a puzzle was really obviously "use the title's main gimmick" (melding into walls,) and yet I'd sit there for a half hour trying to play it like Link to the Past.

"How can I bomb this?"
"How can I Boomerang this?"
"Have I pushed and pulled everything?"
"What haven't I tried!?"

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Learnt about it at the start of dark souls 3 but never did it. You can burn the undead things at shrines to increase how much health your estus flasks heals

I didn't know about this till the second last boss, which made everything significantly harder.

Instead of 2 drinks to heal my health, it took 4 or so. Shit was dumb.

mas8705

It wasn't as much "forgot basic game mechanics" as it was a "migration" from 3DS to Switch during the MHXX demo, but the idea that you have the bumpers and the triggers rather than just bumpers on the switch controllers, it did make me lose my grips on basic Hammer combos.

Otherwise, I would say items in an RPG since I usually don't use any of them and then when I'm doing the final boss fight I open my inventory and it is like "I had HOW MANY REVIVES?!"

Smasher89

Also missed the fasttravel part in xenoblade until a quite deep part into the game, the Eventide solution I tried was golfing, resulting in shooting the ball away too hard, resulting in a "minor softlock", so I had to restart it again!

Does completely losing my coordination when I need to do a complex set of button presses during an intense moment count?

Because that happens to me a lot.

Oreiller

I didn't know I could upgrade my weapons in Revengeance until the final boss. I thought it was weird that bosses had so much life.

I used to be terrible about reloading during multiplayer firefights when it would have been smarter and faster to switch to my side arm. This was pretty much the case for all shooters across the board but I've gotten much better about it to where it's basically instinct at this point.

Spoit

Life is strange - the like... 3 times you
exploit the fact that your position in the world is static through time rewinds. Even if you broke a door down to get there

Top Bottom