• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shin Megami Tensei HD news coming on October 23

NSESN

I think that some people are giving this ''HD project'' on the official site too much thought when there is no reason. If the game was coming to other platforms, why they wouldn't say it already? I mean the game has been announced since January and every time they talked about it, it was pretty clear it was for Switch. I think that they left it as an HD project on the official site because it will be the first real HD game in the franchise (well there is SMTxFE but...).

I think it is timed exclusive. I doubt Sony would like to see a game that is being launched simultaneously being announced just for the Switch.

Oregano

I'm assuming this is multiplatform but it's worth keeping in mind that the two other third party games(Octopath and Travis Strikes Again) that had a presence during the Switch conference are both exclusive.

Laplasakos

I guess the new informations will first be given at the SMT 25th Anniversary Chaos Side live concert, taking place in October 23 in Japan.

Yeah, you are probably right. I wonder if the will have a paid stream again.

Atlus should just spread the love around.

SMT HD on PS4.
Persona 5 Crimson on Switch.

I agree.

I don't get Atlus and the exclusivity thing. Persona is Sony, SMT is Nintendo - makes little sense to me.

Nintendo is getting Persona games. Sony is not getting SMT games.

I think that some people are giving this ''HD project'' on the official site too much thought when there is no reason. If the game was coming to other platforms, why they wouldn't say it already? I mean the game has been announced since January and every time they talked about it, it was pretty clear it was for Switch. I think that they left it as an HD project on the official site because it will be the first real HD game in the franchise (well there is SMTxFE but...).

I think the idea is nothing from the big 3rd party games ( Dragon Quest Monster Hunter Final Fantasy etc)are no longer exclusive anymore. So this game must not be either. Though I'm not sure if I would call SMT a big 3rd party game.

NSESN

I'm assuming this is multiplatform but it's worth keeping in mind that the two other third party games(Octopath and Travis Strikes Again) that had a presence during the Switch conference are both exclusive.

I assume too. But I think people expecting as much have to live with the fact that are huge chances that the game is exclusive or timed exclusive. Specially for the fact I stated above.

Oregano

I think the idea is nothing from the big 3rd party games ( Dragon Quest Monster Hunter Final Fantasy etc)are no longer exclusive anymore. So this game must not be either. Though I'm not sure if I would call SMT a big 3rd party game.

There are quite a few Japanese franchises bigger than SMT that are Sony exclusive.

I assume too. But I think people expecting as much have to live with the fact that are huge chances that the game is exclusive or timed exclusive. Specially for the fact I stated above.

I wouldn't say a huge chance but the fact that Octopath is exclusive and is getting a big push from Nintendo makes me think they might have a similar deal in place for this game too. They were presented back to back in January.

KLoWn

I really, REALLY, hope this is going to look great. SMT is the shit.
And after the reveal I wouldn't mind some Nocturne + DDS remakes/ports for the Switch too.

duckroll

I wouldn't say a huge chance but the fact that Octopath is exclusive and is getting a big push from Nintendo makes me think they might have a similar deal in place for this game too. They were presented back to back in January.

OTOH if Nintendo were helping to market the game it would have showed up on Directs instead of Atlus' own streams. Even Octopath was revealed on a Direct before TGS, and the demo survey was handled by NIntendo. As far as we can see so far, this is completely an Atlus game. It showed up in Jan as a teaser and that's about all.

Mobile devs?

Even mobile devs who have made it big no longer care about TGS. Did you know Cygames didn't even attend TGS this year? They have their own annual festivals to cater to their fans now. Same with Level5. I don't think Gungho had much of a presence either. TGS is where you go to network and show off some existing products. It's hardly a big deal event for anyone anymore. Hasn't been for years.

Oregano

OTOH if Nintendo were helping to market the game it would have showed up on Directs instead of Atlus' own streams. Even Octopath was revealed on a Direct before TGS, and the demo survey was handled by NIntendo. As far as we can see so far, this is completely an Atlus game. It showed up in Jan as a teaser and that's about all.

It's only shown up as a teaser anywhere so far!:p

But that is definitely a good point.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I really, REALLY, hope this is going to look great. SMT is the shit.
And after the reveal I wouldn't mind some Nocturne + DDS remakes/ports for the Switch too.
Why most people want remake for Nocturne? To me both game's visual and gameplay holds really well. All I need is remaster so I can play it on my PS4.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

No switch mention in this update though

Jb

I really want it to be V because we haven't had a mainline SMT game on consoles since Nocturne.
And yet I'd also like them to try out some new sub-series like DDS and Raidou. Or a spinoff like Strange Journey.

Eolz

Not too surprising, since it was expected there'll be more during the concert, happening on the same day :p
Same thing happened with Persona after all.

And yeah, it'll absolutely be V imo, considering it was an anniversary reveal.

edit:
Unless Nintendo pays for it, they won't ignore the platform where their best selling game to date is currently on.

You mean the 3DS where it has the best selling SMT game to date? They handle all their franchises differently, for better and worse.

I would say that SMT HD Project has a likely chance of being multiplat with PS4, but the series and non-persona spin offs being groomed on 3DS and its initial reveal being a Nintendo Switch related thing, it will continue to keep the brand association.

Will they use their P5 ps3 engine?

Unreal Engine 4

Opa-Pa

I really want it to be V because we haven't had a mainline SMT game on consoles since Nocturne.
And yet I'd also like them to try out some new sub-series like DDS and Raidou. Or a spinoff like Strange Journey.

The SMT brand in Japan is only ever used specifically for mainline games, so this will be either V, a remake, or a "spinoff" in the vein of Strange Journey... Which let's be honest, it's a mainline game in everything but name.

Then again liberation exists, so spinoff can get a bit crazier now, I guess.

Jb

The SMT brand in Japan is only ever used specifically for mainline games, so this will be either V, a remake, or a "spinoff" in the vein of Strange Journey... Which let's be honest, it's a mainline game in everything but name.

Then again liberation exists, so spinoff can get a bit crazier now, I guess.

Oh right I forgot about that. It would make little sense for their first HD SMT game to be anything other than a mainline title, just like Nocturne was their first fully 3D game which was then followed by a bunch of weirder stuff.

Oh right I forgot about that. It would make little sense for their first HD SMT game to be anything other than a mainline title, just like Nocturne was their first fully 3D game which was then followed by a bunch of weirder stuff.

NINE was their first fully 3D SMT title.

StereoVsn

I got to admit that I will be puzzled if this will be a Switch exclusive. It is weird that they wouldn't take the opportunity to release on PS4, considering it should be easier considering its UE4 based and going to a more powerful platform.

Of course this is Atlus so irrationality is to be expected. I am also puzzled that they don't port P5 (and P4G) to the Switch and don't port anything to PC.

I will get the game in either case whenever Atlus decides to grace us with its release in the West (or may import) but it is rather weird. I also really hope that we don't have to wait till 2019 for localization but that's probably futile.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
SMT IV is the reason I bought a 3DS so it makes sense this will probably be what makes me buy a Switch.

Excited to see what the news is. I don't have a Switch, but it's not a huge deal to me if this ends up being exclusive. I'll just get a Switch and enjoy all of the other Switch games I would have missed out on.

fortunato

Banned
Even mobile devs who have made it big no longer care about TGS. Did you know Cygames didn't even attend TGS this year? They have their own annual festivals to cater to their fans now. Same with Level5. I don't think Gungho had much of a presence either. TGS is where you go to network and show off some existing products. It's hardly a big deal event for anyone anymore. Hasn't been for years.

How many games do Cygames have in the pipeline, though?

Elfstar

We know it's coming to Switch. 99% chance it will be an exclusive just like every SMT game in the last decade.

That was because they could still make cheap sd games with Ps2-tier assets on 3ds. Now that even Nintendo handhelds have joined hd world every former third party exclusive is becoming or will become multi. Welcome to 2006.

But at least good now a good chunk of stuff is going to be able to be ported on Switch too.

Clov

I was kind of hoping for sooner, but I guess a month isn't that bad of a wait. Looking forward to it!

duckroll

How many games do Cygames have in the pipeline, though?

Mobile:
- Lost Order
- Princess Connect Re:Dive
- Umamusume Pretty Derby

PS4:
- Granblue Fantasy PS4
- Untitled Project Awakening
- ZoE2 Mars

Ongoing Updates:
- Shadowverse
- Granblue Fantasy

If they wanted to have a booth they would certainly have more than enough content for it. Two Platinum Games titles? One directed by Matsuno? Anime crossmedia mobile projects? A ZoE2 remaster with VR? Two of the most popular browser/mobile titles with ongoing updates and a CCS anime tie-in event coming to Granblue soon?

Cygames doesn't need TGS because TGS smells.

RPGCrazied

Dumb question, but Persona isn't SMT is it?

I still want 3&4 HD Atlus!!

But I'll take any other HD to support you so we can eventually get it.

Top Bottom