• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWF/WCW Attitude Era (1995-2001): Time to nostalgia over out favorite moments!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattDoza

lol I loved being a child and wrestling with my brother. My brother pedigreed me on my floor face first and I bled from my nose and mouth.

I also did the swanton bomb on my brother jumping off my couch and getting some serious air. I probably could've hurt myself pretty bad but that was so badass.

Ah, good times.

I used to stinger splash anyone(mostly my brother and sister) who sat on near the arm of the couch.

Getting a trampoline was one of the greatest things we had ever done. Shooting star presses, 450 splashes, frog splashes galore.

rpx7r.jpg

Everything with these guys

And now they're practically all dead

I posted this in the Wrasslin thread but it also belongs here. One of my fav 5 WM matches

Bret vs Owen

http://youtu.be/HbZL56QEgcE pt 1

http://youtu.be/CSssR7IVscM pt 2

http://youtu.be/jADPPJjCCjs pt 3

I wish D Lo Brown came back in a royal rumble like Road Dogg did, haha Dlo's head shimmy was awesome back when he wrestled B^)

someone mentioned Y2K's countdown and first appearance, i remember seeing that countdown every time and when it hit 0 i was D:

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Asshole Shawn Michaels was the best Shawn Michaels.

I think I stopped watching right around 2001 or so.

4 pages in and no mention of Mark Henry and Mae Young giving birth to a bouncing baby
hand
. Or
HHH screwing the brains out of a corpse

Lothar

Banned
4 pages in and no mention of Mark Henry and Mae Young giving birth to a bouncing baby
hand
. Or
HHH screwing the brains out of a corpse

The latter has nothing to do with the Attitude Era. That's associated with the time period when wrestling became shit again.

GeoramA

WCW 96-98 were my favorite years of pro wrestling. Ordered every PPV and went to every house show when they came to the Hammond Civic Center. Then the ridiculous Goldberg push happened, along with some awful booking. But Jericho leaving was definitely the beginning of the end times.

You don't let a talent like that walk and expect to be okay. His WWF debut was a crushing blow.

Forkball

I still remember that night when WWF invaded WCW and Shane said WCW was over and it was shown on both channels, made me go D: D: D:

lol i loved Gilberg , such a random spoof of goldberg, we never got Gilberg vs Goldberg :(

Supposedly WWE wanted to have a Gillberg vs. Goldberg match, but apparently Goldberg hated Gillberg and they were worried that Gil would get legit killed in the ring.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I think I've watch every video posted. These really were better times.

The end of Backlash 2000 where Stone Cold returned and helped the Rock win the title was the best thing I've ever seen in wrasslin. dem pops

edit: found it! so fucking good

also, anything with heel stone cold was absolutely golden

I'll say one thing, Shane McMahon always knew how to take a chair to the face. He never put his hands in the way.

Izick

ibaAVUYtWftXTU.gif

Video does it proper justice. Got a huge, well deserved pop.

Basically, what made this so special was that to the weeks prior to this, Jericho was doing his great heel thing, by calling out Malenko in every way possible, even taking personal pot-shots at him, and then Dean appeared out of nowhere, and it was just electrifying. It worked because it was given the proper build-up, and payoff, both of which modern wrestling severely lacks.

Izick

For anyone who gets misty-eyed and nostalgiac over this stuff, and are curious about current wrestling, don't be. Trust me, besides some good stuff that CM Punk is doing, along with Jericho, and the occasional Ziggler or Daniel Bryan moment, the show is absolute garbage. Same goes for TNA x1000.

Wrestling will never reach the heights of the late 90's and early 00's, because the talent was just all so good, and the WWE have no real competition to push them, so they can push out schlock every Monday night. I watched a while when Punk was making his marquee run, and then after that dissolved, and they fell into this lame Cena/Rock storyline, but I just can't bring myself to watch something so awful, that will eat up 2 hours of my day, without me being entertained for but perhaps, what, 7 minutes out of the whole program? The endings are always the worst. Empty, devoid of feeling, no payoff or controversy even. You can feel it in the stands the crowd even. Everything is cookie-cutter, lackluster, middle-of-the road, saltine cracker flavored, biege slack colored boring.

idnuKp0WX6rud.gif

Fuck boring.

Izick

wonder why the rock got booed so hard.

This took place at the SkyDome in Toronto, Canada. It's kind of this weird thing, because he's not Canadian, but Hulk Hogan is absolutely loved and adored by the Canadian fans, in a similar fashion to Brett Hart.

I forget the video, but there was a time he made his entrance, and the show was in Canada, and the crowd went nuts clapping for him, from his entrance, all the way through the commercial break and beyond. I think it was like 9 minutes in total of non-stop adulation.

Canada loves Hulk Hogan.

looking back as a teenager..

favorite:

trish stratus
sable
sunny
debra
nitro girls
miss hancock/stacy keibler

the rock selling the shit out of the stone cold stunner
dx
jeff jarretts "dont p*** me off" guitar
chris jericho and ralphus
motherfucking LA PARKA aka the chairman of wcw

least favorite:
david fucking arquette

Terri Runnels and later, Stephanie.

And the Undertaker/Rock/HHH/Stone Cold Attitude area was simply the best. Watching now is hard remembering how great that era was.

And The Dudleyz, still my favorite tag team. That first Tables run was fucking amazing.

Because WCW was terrible. Unless you enjoyed seeing every single episode end the same.

Oh look, it's a gullible idiot that believes Vince McMahon's version of history. What I never understood about that version of history was that it reflects right directly on the WWF. I mean really, what does it say about you if you got your ass kicked for over a year and a half by a crappy company? Or ended up stealing a number of their storylines and hiring a ton of their wrestlers? It's just idiotic and buries the entire industry.

Back on topic though, to this day, the Best of Seven series between Benoit and Booker T are my favourite wrestling matches of all time. Two of my favourite wrestlers ever mixing it up and putting on amazing matches twice a week.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
This took place at the SkyDome in Toronto, Canada. It's kind of this weird thing, because he's not Canadian, but Hulk Hogan is absolutely loved and adored by the Canadian fans, in a similar fashion to Brett Hart.

I forget the video, but there was a time he made his entrance, and the show was in Canada, and the crowd went nuts clapping for him, from his entrance, all the way through the commercial break and beyond. I think it was like 9 minutes in total of non-stop adulation.

Canada loves Hulk Hogan.

I was at the SkyDome for that Wrestlemania. That match was insane with how crazy the crowd was going.

I can at least say back then Canadians were really big wrestling fans, we'd normally cheer for the heels because they tended to be the better workers.

Someone like Hogan who was an icon there was no way in hell we'd boo him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom