• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FCC Comments on "Restoring Internet Freedom" Press Release Open for response

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ars Technica said:
Did you feel a sudden loss of Internet freedom in February 2015? That's when the Federal Communications Commission imposed net neutrality rules that prevent Internet service providers from discriminating against websites and other online services. And that's when Americans lost their Internet freedom—according to the current FCC chairman, Ajit Pai.

Pai, a Republican and former Verizon lawyer, opposed the net neutrality rules when Democrats held the commission's majority, and he quickly got to work dismantling the rules after being appointed chair by President Donald Trump. To convince the public that the FCC should eliminate rules it passed two years ago, Pai's office yesterday issued a press release titled, "Restoring Internet freedom for all Americans."

The press release says the plan to eliminate Obama-era Internet regulations "will benefit all Americans" by "boost[ing] competition and choice in the broadband marketplace" and "will restore Internet Freedom by ending government micromanagement and returning to the bipartisan regulatory framework that worked well for decades."

The press release doesn't say which freedoms ordinary users of the Internet lost because of net neutrality rules. The rules didn't actually impose requirements on users of the Internet—or the website operators and other companies that provide services over the Internet. The rules were targeted only at ISPs such as cable, DSL, and fiber home Internet companies and cellular data carriers.

Because of net neutrality rules, ISPs aren't allowed to block or throttle lawful Internet traffic and cannot accept payments in exchange for prioritizing some online services over others in the network path to customers' homes or mobile devices. The rules were implemented using the FCC's Title II authority over common carriers, and Pai intends to eliminate the FCC's classification of ISPs as common carriers.

Along with net neutrality rules, Title II was also used to require greater disclosures about hidden fees and data caps and to force ISPs to get consumer consent before using or sharing Web browsing histories, two sets of rules that Republicans started chipping away at even before yesterday. Title II has also been used to prevent slowdowns of Internet traffic caused by disputes over network interconnection fees, which was a problem for Netflix users before the net neutrality rules were implemented.

More generally, the classification of ISPs as common carriers requires their rates and practices to be "just" and "reasonable" and lets their customers or companies that deliver services over the Internet complain to the FCC about unjust or unreasonable behavior.

ISPs will clearly have more freedom if the Title II classification and net neutrality rules go away. Comcast, AT&T, Verizon, Charter, and lobby groups for ISPs praised Pai's announcement yesterday.

But consumer advocacy groups and Web companies urged the FCC to preserve net neutrality rules, saying they are crucial for giving online businesses access to customers and for letting Internet customers use the applications and websites of their choice. Advocacy group Free Press published an updated list of incidents in which ISPs interfered with Internet content in the years before Title II net neutrality rules were implemented.

As Ars dictates, the "Restoring Internet Freedom" initiated by the new FCC chair is simply a ploy to again, try and destroy the concept of Net Neutrality. Along side the need to donate and support the Electronic Freedom Foundation, it's also important for the voice of the consumers to be heard:

Ars Technica said:
Before implementing net neutrality rules in 2015, the FCC received 4 million public comments, mostly in favor of strict rules for ISPs. Yesterday, Pai dismissed Title II support as coming from "special interest" groups, particularly Free Press.

Sir Tim Berners-Lee, who invented the World Wide Web in 1991, criticized Pai this week, saying, "the Internet must remain a permissionless space for creativity, innovation and free expression."

This initiative of overflowing support for Net Neutrality NEEDS TO CONTINUE. The comments for the press release opened yesterday and you, family and friends; anyone actually interested in Net Neutrality NEEDS to let your voice be heard. Let the FCC know that it isn't fooling anyone. Describe why exactly the efforts to preserve net neutrality are actually important and why taking away government regulation will lead to anti-consumer practices. There are multiple links within the Ars article and that I'll post describing Net Neutrality's importance and the risks associated if it were to disappear.

"Restoring Internet Freedom" Press Release Comments
FCC's Restoring Internet Freedom Press Release
How To Comment - FCC
FCC HOTLINE: 1-888-225-5322
Scripts for calling:
Reddit
Free Press

Net Neutrality: What You Need to Know - Free Press
What is Net Neutrality and What its Reversal Would Mean - USA Today

Ars Technica

Net Neutrality Violations: A Brief History - Free Press
EFF and Allies Letter to Congress

EFF Needs Your Support and Donations
Contact your legislators as well & vote!
Emailed my reps.
It's easy to do on EFF's website.
https://act.eff.org/action/tell-congress-don-t-surrender-the-internet

Everyone should do it.

I guess I'll have to add EFF to my list of donations. I wish I had reps who would sweat about their jobs, but all of my are soulless fucking bitches that deserve to burn in hell.

Before implementing net neutrality rules in 2015, the FCC received 4 million public comments, mostly in favor of strict rules for ISPs. Yesterday, Pai dismissed Title II support as coming from "special interest" groups, particularly Free Press.

someone call an ambulance im choking on the irony

LCGeek

formerly sane
And yet another day goes by where people won't use anti buffer bloat tech or the lack of implementation of it against isps or a corrupt FCC official.

If you did you would have a silver bullet in the argument.

Acorn

If America does this it'll be a matter of months until May does it. With a huge majority, it'll pass too.

Fuck.

Gattsu25

Banned
Last time this came around didn't they reveal that any comments you submit will be ignored unless they are supremely well researched and cited?

Was was watching him last night. He says he wants too help competition and the best way to do it is to remove net neutrality... Yet even before it was implemented, were I live there was never a choice in ISP.

NimbusD

Won't let me upload a comment on my phone without adding a file? Have to try later. Figures this piece of shit FCC has no idea how to build a proper website.

Fuck-You-random-32876583-496-313.jpg

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Curious to see which companies come out against this.

Comcast's response is interesting, I guess. They guarantee net neutrality protections for their customers, but want reallocation of Title II.

Last time this came around didn't they reveal that any comments you submit will be ignored unless they are supremely well researched and cited?

That's why I posted multiple sources to make a well reasoned comment. Of course, "well researched" means zilch coming from them. They're free to ignore comments anyway for the sake of pleasing ISPs.

theWB27

Comcast's response is interesting, I guess. They guarantee net neutrality protections for their customers, but want reallocation of Title II.

They're the last one I'd trust with those kind of options.

I have to get them in my area and their plans are already crap.

60 a month for upto 75mbps (After a year the price jumps to 80 a month)
The tier right below this one is 25mbps for a wopping 66 bucks with no option for a contract to make it cheaper.

Yea...I'd trust them with that.

Gattsu25

Banned
That's why I posted multiple sources to make a well reasoned comment. Of course, "well researched" means zilch coming from them. They're free to ignore comments anyway for the sake of pleasing ISPs.

Oh, I'm not discounting that. I guess more just pointing out that your responses will have to resemble something closer to a research paper than a plea to reason.

Oh, I'm not discounting that. I guess more just pointing out that your responses will have to resemble something closer to a research paper than a plea to reason.

Right. I hope the formality of having to upload a doc will put people in the mindset of writing something of substance.

linkboy

This is the company who was throttling Netflix before the Net Neutrality regulations went into effect.

Those bastards want something uploaded in order to submit comments.

Where do I get them?

We worked hard for Net Neutrality. They have no moral authority over this.

Game Guru

First, I am annoyed this ended up on Page 4. But second, does anyone get the feeling that Pai will just implement the rules anyway despite any efforts of public outcry?

Zolo

First, I am annoyed this ended up on Page 4. But second, does anyone get the feeling that Pai will just implement the rules anyway despite any efforts of public outcry?

He will. Asking for public comment is just a way to seem polite.

Nokterian

Ajit Pai is a tool who gets money from his former boss Verizon and AT&T and that letter? Biggest bullshit i have ever read, just doing it for the ISP's not giving a damn about the consumer.

I genuinely get that feeling. Pai (and this administration in general) has taken pissing on your face and telling you it's raining to a whole new level. Millions of comments could come in and Pai could just say "fake news" and trash them all just for the sake of lining his pockets with ISP money. But even then, I still think we should try and make them force it out of our hands rather than lie down.

I also get annoyed when important topics like this fade to the back pages. I was desperate to bump it but I'm certain I can't on GAF

Aselith

"will restore Internet Freedom by ending government micromanagement and returning to the bipartisan regulatory framework that worked well for decades."

Except for ya know...the part where our network infrastructure is quickly falling behind the rest of the world and internet services are being hamstrung because people need to worry about data caps and throttling.

the Federal Communications Commission imposed net neutrality rules that prevent Internet service providers from discriminating against websites and other online services

You have to be a very special person for this to resonate with you. Seriously if anyone read that and their take away is "My internet freedoms were taken away because these companies couldn't discriminate against online services"...jesus.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
What's the overlap between redditors for net neutrality (which was all over their site the past couple of years) and supporters of /the_donald ?

What's the overlap between redditors for net neutrality (which was all over their site the past couple of years) and supporters of /the_donald ?

Two completely separate circles. r/The_Donald users put Dear Leader and what he wants over everything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom