• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kendrick Lamar - DAMN. |OT| Damn! Good Friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sun Drugs

So much to take in. I am on LOVE. Reminds me a lot of Frank Ocean for some reason. I love this album so far. Don't have the words yet to truly express how I feel about this album. It's gonna take several, several listens straight through to really digest this album.

RoKKeR

It was pretty funny watching freaking out because he had a track with U2 and Rihanna

Yeah, as a U2 fan I was skeptical but of course Kendrick was able to pull it off. The feature makes sense, works well, and happens to be on a killer song. Win-win.

Jocund

What a strange project. It doesn't have that same racially charged texture Butterfly had, which was a pretty obvious anchor. I don't know what's obvious about this one. It's definitely gonna take some digging.

Catvoca

Banned
Ya'll were doubting U2 but brehs
6lMe6.gif

kmag

Just heard XXX. Damn, that's good.

To my ears it sounds like it's actually the rest of U2 playing piano, drums and bass during the beat switches. The drums and bass sounds a bit like I'm not your baby from the Pop era musically.

RoKKeR

To my ears it sounds like it's actually the rest of U2 playing piano, drums and bass. The drums and bass sounds a bit like I'm not your baby from the Pop era musically.

Definitely going to take another run through and try to figure that out. I mean, if all of their names are listed on the credits then I don't doubt it's them. Surprisingly sweet groove.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Listening to it on dashradio.com, on the skeenet channel. It's legit, no leak or anything if that is worrying you. I am enjoying what I am hearing so far. I think they are going to loop it for awhile.

Manzanas

Neo Member
Well, just finished my first listen.
That was a pretty fucking boring album. I won't judge anything until I give it a few more listens, but that was disappointing.
I'll come back to it tomorrow. Hopefully it will grow on me.

Bookoo

What's going on?! My emotions right now

Only to add to your confusion. I think the album is good and has a lot of good tracks, but not sure if I like it more than his others.

One of the reasons I am a huge fan of Kendrick is because his albums are concepts and feel really thought-out. I remember losing my shit at the end of TPAB because it just blew my mind and felt it was nuts he was able to pull of another great concept album after GKMC.

This album feels more like a collection of songs and there isn't much really holding it together or at least it isn't as strong as his past albums. I just finished my first play through though.

Jocund

So much to take in. I am on LOVE. Reminds me a lot of Frank Ocean for some reason. I love this album so far. Don't have the words yet to truly express how I feel about this album. It's gonna take several, several listens straight through to really digest this album.

I feel you on the Frank comparisons. Hot take, but it feels a lot like Blonde. Very...subtle? And personal. I got a lot of appreciation for the album artwork now, with Kenny at the center, and that dead look in his eye. He's real close. Then there's the brick wall in the background, and that opening skit,
about the woman on the street and Kenny getting shot
. It's like all the action of the album's taking place on that sidewalk.

The whole project's like...an episode? It's very open/close. Limited in scope and conclusive.

I think Kendrick said something about this album being really urgent. That comes through, both in the pacing and the production.

Strider

I'm not listening to any leaks... Will wait for it to be on apple music/spotify.

K-dot batting 1000 so far so I expect this to be another great album.

rdytoroll

It's not the masterpiece that TPAB is (TPAB is probably the best album ever tho tbh). I'm a bit disappointed atm, but I had sky high expectations. And I'm missing the funk

I'd put it on the same level as Section 80 after the first listen. Great but not a classic. It's also not as cohesive a project as GKMC

phanphare

Banned
I'm gonna save in depth reactions for when this shit actually drops because they feel like spoilers tbh

really good album though. sit yourself down for your first listen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom