• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Heart of Thorns |OT| Welcome to the Jungle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

Greatsword got a huge buff which I'm in love with (for multiple classes, ranger, Guardian (<3) and others)

Thanks Anet!

I'm getting back into the game to get through some of the living world. Yeah there's not much GAFGuild on, but we could make a comeback!

Dizzy-4U

We (as in nearly the entire map) failed to kill him, and he exploded us into oblivion. The 2nd most casualties I have seen, with the most casualties being when someone failed to defend one of the batteries during a Teq fight.
Yeah, fought him twice. Party got blown up the first time (apparently we got there too late in his cycle) but got him the second time. Good fun.

Question: I just got to 80. I have the base game (bought it 4 years ago) but don't have the expansion yet. Would it be a waste of time/points to keep doing stuff with this character until I get the expansion? I'm worried about the mastery point system, I don't know if these points are locked somewhere until I buy the expansion or if I don't get anything at all.

Sonicbug

Yeah, the new current event was great. Great closure and great reward.

Also, I use greatsword on both my ranger and necro, so I'm pretty happy with the game right now.

Fishious

Question: I just got to 80. I have the base game (bought it 4 years ago) but don't have the expansion yet. Would it be a waste of time/points to keep doing stuff with this character until I get the expansion? I'm worried about the mastery point system, I don't know if these points are locked somewhere until I buy the expansion or if I don't get anything at all.

There are two kinds of mastery points, Tyria and Heart of Maguuma. Each comes from doing content introduced pre and post expansion respectively. Tyria mastery points are all tied to achievements, so if you complete achievements that grant mastery points the points you've earned will automatically unlock when you play through the first part of the expansion. So technically you can earn Tyria mastery points without the expansion, you just can't see or use them. Of course you can't earn any Heart of Maguuma mastery points since they're all tied to expansion and later content.

The other aspect is experience. You can't earn experience toward either type of mastery without the expansion. So ultimately you can still earn some points, but your XP goes to waste after lv 80. It's up to you whether it's worthwhile to wait or buy the expansion. I don't know what your buy in price is, but HoT is currently $32 on amazon.

Dizzy-4U

There are two kinds of mastery points, Tyria and Heart of Maguuma. Each comes from doing content introduced pre and post expansion respectively. Tyria mastery points are all tied to achievements, so if you complete achievements that grant mastery points the points you've earned will automatically unlock when you play through the first part of the expansion. So technically you can earn Tyria mastery points without the expansion, you just can't see or use them. Of course you can't earn any Heart of Maguuma mastery points since they're all tied to expansion and later content.

The other aspect is experience. You can't earn experience toward either type of mastery without the expansion. So ultimately you can still earn some points, but your XP goes to waste after lv 80. It's up to you whether it's worthwhile to wait or buy the expansion. I don't know what your buy in price is, but HoT is currently $32 on amazon.
Thanks for the explanation, I think I understand how it works now. I'm getting the expansion in a couple of weeks so I'll slow down doing stuff with the level 80 character and focus on my other one.

Pro

OAdm9hN.png

W.T.F. I just beat the boss for the latest living story and died simultaneously. No option to retry and no NPCs to rez me. Literally nothing I can do. The portal to the end of the mission is right there. Had to log out and now I have to redo the whole mission again.

Massicot

For Guard/DH, seems like Scepter/GS is basically on par with scepter only or scepter/sword now. Really nice because greatswords are cool and I missed using them.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
I played Guild Wars 2 a lot and dropped it during the start of Living Story Season 3.

Two weeks ago I picked up Guild Wars ( the original ) and I'm hooked.

Hooked to the point that I don't think I can go back to Guild Wars 2 now. I mean, of course I still like 2, but the original and its expansions just feel ... 'more interesting'? I don't know... I find myself wanting more like Cantha, and less 'here's a couple of new zones stapled onto the old map'. I want more Factions ( a new threat in a different land ) vs. Heart of Thorns ( here's another one of those dragons but he's off to the west this time ). I think the best we can hope for at this point is that Kralkatorrik flies off to Elona. x3

But I like a lot about the original - I like the way you can build your character, I like being able to start a new character in any of the campaigns, I like Cantha and Elona being so different from Tyria, I like being able to run around with Heroes, I like that the level cap isn't some arbitrarily high number, etc. I also got a lot more insight into little lore things that I previously hadn't fully understood or recognized the significance of.

After completing Prophecies, Factions and Eye of the North, I feel like Guild Wars 2 should have been called 'Guild Wars: Eye of the North 2' instead. >x>

Massicot

I played Guild Wars 2 a lot and dropped it during the start of Living Story Season 3.

Two weeks ago I picked up Guild Wars ( the original ) and I'm hooked.

Hooked to the point that I don't think I can go back to Guild Wars 2 now. I mean, of course I still like 2, but the original and its expansions just feel ... 'more interesting'? I don't know... I find myself wanting more like Cantha, and less 'here's a couple of new zones stapled onto the old map'. I want more Factions ( a new threat in a different land ) vs. Heart of Thorns ( here's another one of those dragons but he's off to the west this time ). I think the best we can hope for at this point is that Kralkatorrik flies off to Elona. x3

But I like a lot about the original - I like the way you can build your character, I like being able to start a new character in any of the campaigns, I like Cantha and Elona being so different from Tyria, I like being able to run around with Heroes, I like that the level cap isn't some arbitrarily high number, etc. I also got a lot more insight into little lore things that I previously hadn't fully understood or recognized the significance of.

After completing Prophecies, Factions and Eye of the North, I feel like Guild Wars 2 should have been called 'Guild Wars: Eye of the North 2' instead. >x>

Guild Wars is great fun, and I suggest that anyone with passing interest in the lore should try it out. It's very easy to get to level 20 with Factions or Nightfall and see lots of aspects of the world that haven't been touched on yet in GW2.

That said, I do think you should try out Season 3. I think it's the best iteration of the Living Story so far. The updates aren't as frequent as they used to be but they feel like meaningful content patches now instead of 2 hour distractions (Current Events are pretty bla on average, but the last one was really great so hopefully that keeps up).

I just hope upcoming episodes of season 3 break from the formula that they have going a bit though.

I have the original, but haven't really played much of it. I might have to go back into it and play some. Think I've been waiting for my wife or some of my friends to pick it up to play with them though.

I'm still here waiting for a sale before getting the first game. Not sure if it will ever happen though.

I'll make sure that we send someone over to check on your corpse.

From what I've seen they have never gone on sale, other than the bundles they currently use. I just said eff it and picked them up.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The recent current event was really sweet. Though I kinda wish we got the actual
Caladbolg

Also since I was banned when I made this (roughly three days ago), here's my... (Frostfang, Nevermore, Twilight, Zap, HOPE) sixth legendary!

C6AF0zAUwAEamqj.jpg

C6AF2YlVAAEMCPc.jpg

C6AF36aU8AA_7vX.jpg

Massicot

Messing around with a few things today. Finally moving on from SweetFx and trying out Reshade. I'm not 100% sure how to work with presets for ReShade 3.0 (I don't see many floating around immediately compatible with 3.0 anyway) so I'm just messing with the levels myself. I don't want to smear a ton of post processing effects over the screen but I'm finding that I really like just injecting some SMAA and sharpening and just a tiny bit of vibrance. The base game looks washed out and blurry, comparatively. You might be able to get a similar result with forcing some AF or SGSSAA from gpu drivers but I sometimes run with compatibility issues with those, where this can be set as a toggle from a button.

You could also use Gedosato or DSR to downsample to get some effective AA but then you have to get used to a small UI and it might not play well with specific setups (I'd lose my precious borderless window mode), etc.

I'm still tinkering, but this is where I'm at so far.

ReShade also allows for PNG or bitmap screengrabs which is a nice bonus.

Before

After

I'm still tweaking and will probably tone a few things down but immediately I can see the stems in the leaves and the vines better in the distance. And look at the groves on the yak statue.

Anyways. I was bored tonight and that's what i messed with. SAB soon right.

Boss Doggie

*tries crafting HMS Divinity path*
*those tribute materials*

why

WHY

WHY

WHY

aaaanyway...

could you guys explain to me how GW2spidy works for max profit? Say I have a couple of deldrimor steel ingots in my inventory, should I follow the one placed by highest profit and craft that item to sell? or is the profit only for those who buy things to craft then sell?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hiya anybody looking to run some missions tonight, I am still planning on it but just sat down to the movies so it'll be late, e.g. 10pm edt. Feel free to hop on then.

Massicot

Pretty major update today

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/info/updates/Game-Update-Notes-March-28-2017

The Havoc's Heir has been retrofitted with new Silent Steam technology, allowing Captain's Airship Pass holders to visit in peace and quiet.

Also SAB I guess.

Also interesting that they gave another super thorough pass through the last HoT instance.

Edit: Also cool

Studded, Marauder, and Scale armor have been added to the Legacy Armor Reward Track for PvP and WvW.

Raid boss tokens (e.g. Vale Guardian Fragment) can now be consumed to automatically add to your guild.

Quenk

I wonder why they added leather and metal to other crafting schools

Because the marks needed to purchase ascended items using fractal pages/ascended shards of glory weren't craftable by those professions. You had to have other crafting professions leveled as well. A person couldn't buy ascended light armor if they just had tailor at 500 for example.

Boss Doggie

Because the marks needed to purchase ascended items using fractal pages/ascended shards of glory weren't craftable by those professions. You had to have other crafting professions leveled as well. A person couldn't buy ascended light armor if they just had tailor at 500 for example.

Ah interesting, didn't realize it had those requirements.

Now that I think about it I remember seeing those leather + cloth insignia combos and was wondering how certain professions would obtain the missing piece

Boss Doggie

I'm really interested to see what they do with scepter and of course, great sword.

The meteorologicus looks great but I don't have a "main" scepter user, the ones that do use them tend to to use it as a secondary weapon hahaha

also iirc the legendary doesn't change projectile bullets from guardian scepter 1 or mesmer scepter 1

That_Shaman been datamining some more Elona faces/hairstyles:

We gon' be slaying undeads in Vabbi folks. Better check your Sandals for Sand cuz it's going south!

Very nice to see more Africa inspired games:) Not many games with hairstyles like these!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom