• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Gandalf a conjurer of cheap tricks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omadahl

Banned
In terms of power structure, he's angel-level on par with the Balrog. I can't find it, but in one of my many copies of The Lord of the Rings, there is a hierarchy laid out that shows the order of creation in Middle Earth. Gandalf is way up there.

nded

Gandalf's like 5-5 against Balrog so he's at least B+ tier.

∀ Narayan;234517651 said:
Into the Eastern regions, apparently. I'm curious as to what the rest of the world was up to during the Third Age.

J.R.R. Tolkien said:
"I think that they went as emissaries to distant regions, east and south, .... Missionaries to enemy occupied lands as it were. What success they had I do not know; but I fear that they failed, as Saruman did, though doubtless in different ways; and I suspect they were founders or beginners of secret cults and "magic" traditions that outlasted the fall of Sauron."

"Their task was to circumvent Sauron: to bring help to the few tribes of Men that had rebelled from Melkor-worship, to stir up rebellion ... and after his first fall to search out his hiding (in which they failed) and to cause [?dissension and disarray] among the dark East ... They must have had very great influence on the history of the Second Age and Third Age in weakening and disarraying the forces of East ... who would both in the Second Age and Third Age otherwise have ... outnumbered the West."

Sounds like sequel bait if I've ever heard it.

TheGrue

ctpromo-600.jpg

Yep.

Didn't the extended edition of ROTK bring it up at the very end? It's been years but I could swear it did.

I remember the movie focused on the ring on Gandalf's hand briefly, kind of implying that it was one of the three rings.

Can't recall if they showed Vilya and Nenya at all(think they showed Galadriel wearing it been a while).

I remember the movie focused on the ring on Gandalf's hand briefly, kind of implying that it was one of the three rings.

Can't recall if they showed Vilya and Nenya at all(think they showed Galadriel wearing it been a while).

Yeah, I do remember in FOTR extended Galadriel showed her ring to Frodo.

teiresias

The clip sounded badass, and it was, but from a gender perspective I feel everything about it got immediately invalidated since she saved Gandalf, but then you needed two men to rescue her. Only based on this clip, never saw the movie itself. She should just AOE pulsed the wraiths away IMO and everything would be awesome.

I mean, she holds back Sauron himself later on in the sequence which is still one of my favorite moments from the Hobbit films.

https://youtu.be/NLhypaRifcE?t=236

Actually, seeing Galadriel all badass in The Hobbit films is one of the few redeeming qualities of them, frankly.

I've always liked the depiction of magic in LOTR as more ritualistic and less overtly elemental and weapon-like. In my experience, when someone complains about magic in LOTR what they really want is for it to devolve into people throwing laser beams at one another from sticks - aka Harry Potter.

.JayZii

Banned
I never watched the extended version but the fireball makes Saruman look so cheap and lame really.
Well, at that point, Saruman has cut himself off from what gives him power and has backed the wrong horse in the battle for Middle Earth. He's basically a conjurer of cheap tricks at that point, and that scene shows it. He ends up and goes out as even more of a lame punk in the books.

This is so bad it looks like a fanvid.
The Hobbit movies' MO seemed to be "fuck subtlety". It's too bad too, Cate Blanchett's performance deserved better than all those over-the-top visuals and audio effects. Her speech in a more restrained context would have been way more badass.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I still think Tom Bombadil will come along ANY minute to help. Any minute now. He's coming. I feel sure of it.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Okay, I think you've sufficiently jogged my memory. I've probably only watched The Two Towers twice, but have seen Fellowship like a dozen times. There's a scene in TTT where he fights the balrog on a mountain top, right?

yeah

the killing blow is him holding up his sword, it gets stuck by lightning and stores the energy, then he plunges it into the Balrog

Kinyou

This is so bad it looks like a fanvid.
What bugs me is how Galadriel takes the exact same form as when she was talking to Frodo and how she even uses the same light she gives him later. Was this Jackson referencing his own movies or is this scene also in any of the books? To me it just makes Galadriel look like a one trick pony.

Armaros

What bugs me is how Galadriel takes the exact same form as when she was talking to Frodo and how she even uses the same light she gives him later. Was this Jackson referencing his own movies or is this scene also in any of the books? To me it just makes Galadriel look like a one trick pony.

It's suppose to be her inner light since she is probably the elf only left left alive that had received the light from the Elven Trees of the first age. (It's why she was able to push back Sauron himself)

But they fucked it up and made it this weird ghostly spectral green light as her 'light form'

Taken Tolkien's metaphorical description and making it a VFX fest.

Akira

The most epic battle in the entire series, and it happens offscreen.

I don't know whether to praise Tolkien for inviting us to imagine it so we're no way disappointed by it, or just resent the bastard because I want to see it so bad.

GRFYqhb.png

Some of it was in The Two Towers theatrical cut right? In the very beginning. They might have shown more in the Extended Edition.

bsp

Gandalf (Olorin) was basically a super-angel (Maiar) in the Undying Lands who was sent as the wisest of the Istari (wizards) to serve as guides against those fighting Sauron. All of the Istari were handicapped by the Valar (demi-gods, second only to Eru) so their true power is unknown.

openrob

I love how the magic in The Lord of the Rings is this subtle, strong hard to define force. It's interesting to hear more about Gandalf having power to inspire hope and courage because it underscores what magic is in this world. A steady river that can shape the earth around it as opposed to a super soaker.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
So, a Balrog vs a true dragon like Smaug, who wins?

Balrogs are higher on the totem poll. Dragons are constructs, like orcs, bred by Morgoth (Melkor before his full corruption), Sauron's master and teacher. Balrogs come from the same stock as Sauron, Saruman and Gandalf.

He smote the Balrog's ruin upon the mountainside.

I remember watching these in theaters and that line got cheers from the audience. Was a great experience. These movies belong to Peter Jackson and the franchise should be left alone. They're a masterwork. The best you could ever ask for in a film adaptation of this series.

Dali

Balrogs are higher on the totem poll. Dragons are constructs, like orcs, bred by Morgoth (Melkor before his full corruption), Sauron's master and teacher. Balrogs come from the same stock as Sauron, Saruman and Gandalf.
This raises some [more] plot hole questions. So Gandalf is cool with [apparently] giving ole 'Rog the business when his life depends on it or when it suits him. He's gimped... but not really. If it came down to it would he have offed Smaug? What's his stopping point? If a Balrog decided to not be content trolling away on some bullshit until he bumped into a sweet looking mark, and instead wanted to wreak havoc on the countryside would old man river intervene then? It all seems pretty subjective.

So, a Balrog vs a true dragon like Smaug, who wins?

Balrog. Maybe a dragon like Ancalagon the Black could put up a decent fight, but a one on one fight should result in the Balrog being victorious. Balrogs are just made of tougher stuff. If the Balrog was injured or something, or it wasn't a one-on-one fight, I might give it to the dragon.

The problem the dragon would have is that their primary weapon is fire - but that doesn't do a whole lot of good against a being made of fire. Even Gandalf knew to use his sword against the one he fought. I'm sure he threw in other things too, and maybe a bit of fire (since he was especially good at that), but he wouldn't have solely used that. Now, we can examine the "other weapons" a dragon possesses. A dragon's other assets besides its breath are its size (which won't mean shit to a balrog), the kind of hypnosis they can achieve (again, won't mean shit to a balrog), intimidation (lol, good luck with that), and it's claws and teeth. Against a balrog, only the last will be much help. A balrog has weapons it can use, and it will do its best to nail a dragon in its underbelly, while a balrog doesn't have a real weak point.

I'm not saying it's impossible for the dragon to win, but it would be an uphill battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom