• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Someone posted some super high res versions of Halo 4 Chief pictures in the last OT. Like, 30 pages ago, haha. Can anyone link me to them, please?

zap

Gets good around 7:12. Earning credits on a per match basis and unlocking perks/abilities by spending those credits in-match. So going from nothing, to extra ammo, to extra grenades, to extra shields, or whatever. Sounds potentially cool... Potentially.

And this is all speculation, obviously.

Interesting ideas, I don't think that it is particularly likely... but very cool speculation nonetheless.

monome

That sequence is merely a whisper on the breeze.

I have heard things. Things you people wouldn't believe...

Hummm, so pleasant to be teased after a few hours of Halo 4 dreaming.

I've made my peace with the "perk" system, no info and having impactfull comsetic changes makes too much sense to bitch about until explanations are given.

As an average player, perks make me itchy because they split people even more but I shall see.

I think having a story for MP makes perfect sense and will help the franchise move towards persistent stuff next-gen. Probably a way to implement clans, a "force" players consider spending more time online as some of the story aspects will be fleshed out there and may have an impact in the series.

I really wish for two things now :
a Forerunner fuck fest
a crazy MP mode that makes sense of the story (invasion, in Reach, made so much sense)

PS : O Didact, Where Art Thou?

Zoolader

Not sure how much this has been discussed already but looks like there is an actual arrow indicating where enemy fire is hitting you from.

jbRGHSlI6EZgS.png

blamite

Not sure how much this has been discussed already but looks like there is an actual arrow indicating where enemy fire is hitting you from.

jbRGHSlI6EZgS.png

I've really got tohand it to 343, that is one awesome HUD. Random thoughts:

Whatever's going to be int he upper left where we saw that Grenadier text has got to be pretty damn important to puch grenades over to the right.

I doubt those three small bars under the shield bar do anything at the moment, they're in exactly the same position in this shot and the blue abyss shot.

I wish 343 would back away from showing height on the motion tracker. I Reach it makes knowing the enemy's location on maps like Sword Base or Countdown way too easy.

The new scoreboard is so awesome looking. Those emblems really add that extra bit of cool.

The radar doesn't include the name of the location you're in like it does in reach. I wonder if that's gone for good, or just not implemented yet.

monome

Also, WTF is this Didact?

The reason Halo 4 can't fail with me.
and why I don't give a fuck about the Chief's cosmetic changes, the Didact's style is where the challenge is at

Dead and buried.

I dunno, but I'd love it the Didact ended up being nowhere in the final trilogy, just to see your reaction. :lol

Mouahahahahahaha He will be there, as soon as Halo4, and I will have a huge boner and feel ashamed

Seems sprint is a de-facto action? that's just what the doctor oredered if I may say. But if so what will be of the Jetpack?
Any suggestions on the best gamepad layout since we know their will be power-ups and some sort of abilities?

TheOddOne

The grenadier loadout pic, everyone seemed to be assuming it was jetpack in OT1. I was confused as hell.
So far nothing really has been said about AA. So it's speculation at best, knowing 343 (and their Reach title update) they know how we feel about AA.

TheOddOne

It is not set in stone, but damn me if the Chief is sporting a "Jetpack" just to impress the girls.

That armor changes having functions points without a doubt to AA 2.0
I doubt jetpacks or *shivers* armourlock will be locked down to armour changes. It would be outright stupid to be honoust. Higher ranked players all having armour lock, biggest clustereff ever.

monome

I doubt jetpacks or *shivers* armourlock will be locked down to armour changes. It would be outright stupid to be honoust. Higher ranked players all having armour lock, biggest clustereff ever.

First, jetpack could be a SP only affair. or restricted to certain playlists/modes.

Armor lock, as is, is gonna be a power-up.

Curious about evade...but a ninja armor would make sense.
Just as armor lock can be transformed into a heavy armor.

But all those changes to armor/gameplay are making think about a hidden class based Halo.

TheOddOne

But all those changes to armor/gameplay are making think about a hidden class based Halo.
AA as powerups would make sense, still it would need some nerfing. I dunno how I feel about classed based Halo.

@HollovVpo1nt: The blurry pic looks like a spartan, with trusters, holding a gun of sort.

Yeah but the gun he's holding in the blurred shot looks like it's yanked off of that forerunner, I refuse to beleive it's as simple as a carbine or needler rifle :p

blamite

So I was thinking about what the point would be in having multiplayer be part of the story... And I came up with this idea. Maybe it's crazy, maybe I'm on the right track, I don't know. It just seemed like an interesting idea to me.

It's almost guaranteed that we'll encounter Spartan IV in Campaign at some point in the new trilogy, right? Even if it's not until Halo 5 or 6, It seems like too big of a plot point to introduce just for multiplayer.

Frank also said that there would be a good reason for Spartans to fight Spartans. The most obvious (to me at least) interpretation is that multiplayer represents Spartan IV training exercises, where the IVs could compete against each other, probably in somewhat simulated exercises (meaning dying in multiplayer isn't really death).

We also have word of a persistent upgrade system, with armor that offers additional benefits to the player. I'm assuming that this would work somewhat like Reach's armory, only the armor you buy makes your Spartan stronger.

So t bring these three ideas together, what if the purpose of multiplayer will be to build your own Spartan IV who will have a role in the campaign? Imagine fighting the finale to Halo 4's campaign alongside your customized Spartan IV, with the armor and upgrades you game them? The next step in the path set by Noble 6. What if this extended to the next two games as well, and you could spend 10 years building your perfect Spartan IV to re-finish the fight?

TheOddOne

Yeah but the gun he's holding in the blurred shot looks like it's yanked off of that forerunner, I refuse to beleive it's as simple as a carbine or needler rifle :p
The Forerunner trilogy. Just saying :p

So t bring these three ideas together, what if the purpose of multiplayer will be to build your own Spartan IV who will have a role in the campaign? Imagine fighting the finale to Halo 4's campaign alongside your customized Spartan IV, with the armor and upgrades you game them? The next step in the path set by Noble 6. What if this extended to the next two games as well, and you could spend 10 years building your perfect Spartan IV to re-finish the fight?
That would be a cool easter egg, but they seem to really be focused on Chiefs and Cortana's story and development. So I dunno how your idea would fit into that all.

I think I can get behind these gameplay altering armour pieces if there's one that makes my helmet explode whenever someone is "victory crouching" my corpse.

blamite

That would be a cool easter egg, but they seem to really be focused on Chiefs and Cortana's story and development. So I dunno how your idea would fit into that all.
I suppose, but why bring the story element into multiplayer then? I could see the Chief's story being developed in the campaign while the multiplayer story is kept separate for the most part, with the exception of one character who can be shaped in the campaign through multiplayer. Sort of like how Mass Effect 3's multiplayer is supposed to have an impact on the single player story, but the story is still complete without playing multiplayer.

TheOddOne

I suppose, but why bring the story element into multiplayer then? I could see the Chief's story being developed in the campaign while the multiplayer story is kept separate for the most part, with the exception of one character who can be shaped in the campaign through multiplayer. Sort of like how Mass Effect 3's multiplayer is supposed to have an impact on the single player story, but the story is still complete without playing multiplayer.
Didn't know that about ME3, sounds really cool.

I guess maby the multiplayer is kind of rooted in fiction, but not specifically in the story of the main game. If that makes any sense.

I think this is a great explanation of what is to come with the whole "perks", "armor abilities", and "loadouts" reveal:

http://www.nowgamer.com/features/1270434/halo_4_multiplayer_plot_gameplay_round_up.html

"Halo 4’s multiplayer has custom classes
343 Industries explained to us that Halo 4’s multiplayer modes will feature custom class and load-out creation, but O’Connor stressed that Halo 4’s multiplayer will not be a Call of Duty clone.

O’Connor also explained that players will earn gameplay ‘enhancements’ through progression, hinting at rewards for levelling up to further bolster your multiplayer character. However, the studio was unable to elaborate on this further."

I'm guessing you'll be able to pick from a limited selection of starting weapons (BR/AR/DMR) and maybe even secondary weapons (Pistol/SMG) for your classes.
That along with your armor customization will affect your gameplay experience.

Hopefully we find out more in this week's bulletin.

blamite

Didn't know that about ME3. Sounds really cool.

I guess maby the multiplayer is kind of rooted in fiction, but not specifically in the story of the main game. If that makes any sense.
Yeah I haven't looked into it too in-depth but supposedly completing multiplayer missions contributes to progress in the campaign or something. And I think there's something about bringing multiplayer characters into the story there, too? I'm not totally clear on exactly how they're doing it, but it seems like something that would be possible with H4's multiplayer pushing a story ans all.

I guess I'm thinking of the multiplayer story being something like: You're a Spartan IV training to be assigned to a secret mission. That mission turns out to be joinging the Master Chief to do whatever it turns out he's doing at the time.

I don't know, it's 4am and I'm procrastinating two papers I need to write. Maybe this is all actually a really terrible idea. :p

monome

Covies armory is clearly Forerunner influenced.
But no forerunner weapons to use = total fail, crossing fingers the weapons have animations ala new logo.

Frank also said that there would be a good reason for Spartans to fight Spartans. The most obvious (to me at least) interpretation is that multiplayer represents Spartan IV training exercises, where the IVs could compete against each other, probably in somewhat simulated exercises (meaning dying in multiplayer isn't really death).

Makes total sense!

Recent books spoilers
in Glasslands allegiance to UNSC vs taking side with Halsey has already made Spartans vs Spartans a possibility .
As the story progresses, there is no way in hell the halsey vs ONI plot won't be used.

As for Spartans IV, we know they are aboard the Infinity, which is probably the ship 343GS 2.0 takes control of, and then goes looking for the Librarian.

it makes sense the Chief meets the Librarian, and she probably holds the key to why he is so important. the new trilogy is called Reclaimer, not Reclaimers.

So you get a situation where the Librarian seeks the Chief, while being seeked by 343GS who has taken a UNSC ship for the ride and is full of Spartans.

TheOddOne

Yeah I haven't looked into it too in-depth but supposedly completing multiplayer missions contributes to progress in the campaign or something. And I think there's something about bringing multiplayer characters into the story there, too? I'm not totally clear on exactly how they're doing it, but it seems like something that would be possible with H4's multiplayer pushing a story ans all.

I guess I'm thinking of the multiplayer story being something like: You're a Spartan IV training to be assigned to a secret mission. That mission turns out to be joinging the Master Chief to do whatever it turns out he's doing at the time.

I don't know, it's 4am and I'm procrastinating two papers I need to write. Maybe this is all actually a really terrible idea. :p
I have to study for like 5 exams, still have not started. I really know that feel.

I'm gonna throw out a crazy idea: what if the training is designed to find the next Master Chief.

Raide

I think this is a great explanation of what is to come with the whole "perks", "armor abilities", and "loadouts" reveal:

http://www.nowgamer.com/features/1270434/halo_4_multiplayer_plot_gameplay_round_up.html

"Halo 4’s multiplayer has custom classes
343 Industries explained to us that Halo 4’s multiplayer modes will feature custom class and load-out creation, but O’Connor stressed that Halo 4’s multiplayer will not be a Call of Duty clone.

O’Connor also explained that players will earn gameplay ‘enhancements’ through progression, hinting at rewards for levelling up to further bolster your multiplayer character. However, the studio was unable to elaborate on this further."

I'm guessing you'll be able to pick from a limited selection of starting weapons (BR/AR/DMR) and maybe even secondary weapons (Pistol/SMG) for your classes.
That along with your armor customization will affect your gameplay experience.

Hopefully we find out more in this week's bulletin.

A class based Halo game certainly sounds awesome to me but it might put off the overall Halo community.

The thought of playing Halo and having Battlefield style classes, it just too much for me. I want to play a Spartan Medic damn you!

HUD Analysis
(Click to make bigger)

Also as 3.35 the lead red Spartan is running with one hand/arm swinging by his side which implies some kind of one handed weapon. Could be the sword but the wall isn't reflecting the glow so im stumped

monome

HUD Analysis
(Click to make bigger)

Also as 3.35 the lead red Spartan is running with one hand/arm swinging by his side which implies some kind of one handed weapon. Could be the sword but the wall isn't reflecting the glow so im stumped

that's one fine pic you've made.

I think I can get behind these gameplay altering armour pieces if there's one that makes my helmet explode whenever someone is "victory crouching" my corpse.

I'd like one that only exploded if the guy teabagging me did no damage to me in the fight that ended in my death. That's the most annoying thing, for me.

Top Bottom