• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade Runner 2049 Review Thread

Monocle

Or, more likely, there is a whole lot of time wasted on completely needless scenes?

I won't go into it any further in this thread though, for fear of spoilers.
Every scene builds atmosphere or contributes to character development. Saying there are completely needless scenes embeds the claim that you understand the purpose each scene should serve. Quite honestly, if you're going to throw around terms like "dull" and "long" when you're discussing a purposefully moody, atmospheric film that is consistent in its use of deliberately paced shots and wordless sequences, your grasp of cinematic technique is probably not as firm as you'd like to think.

There can be more to a scene than blasting the audience with exposition or serving up pulse pounding action. Every drawn-out sequence is an invitation to immerse yourself in the world or imagine the inner lives of the characters. Each seemingly pointless interlude was designed and presented to you for reasons that might demand some careful thought to discover. How can you have the experience the director intended if you're impatiently waiting for your expectations to be fulfilled?

Movies have so much to offer if you can leave your preconceptions at the door and let them unfold on their own terms. "What happens next?" is not always the most important or appropriate question.

Every scene builds atmosphere or contributes to character development. Saying there are completely needless scenes embeds the claim that you understand the purpose each scene should serve. Quite honestly, if you're going to throw around terms like "dull" and "long" when you're discussing a purposefully moody, atmospheric film that is consistent in its use of deliberately paced shots and wordless sequences, your grasp of cinematic technique is probably not as firm as you'd like to think.

There can be more to a scene than blasting the audience with exposition or serving up pulse pounding action. Every drawn-out sequence is an invitation to immerse yourself in the world or imagine the inner lives of the characters. How can you have the experience the director intended if you're impatiently waiting for your expectations to be fulfilled?

Movies have so much to offer if you can leave your preconceptions at the door and let them unfold on their own terms. "What happens next?" is not always the most important or appropriate question.

You. I like you. Good post!

Surfinn

I'm surprised this dropped into the 80s. Sitting at 88% right now

Not that that means anything, but I thought RT would be all over this film, up and down.

It was a fun experience. Gunna be seeing it again soon

Not that that means anything, but I thought RT would be all over this film, up and down.

Damn, sucks it dropped that far down. Hope it bounces back up to the 90s like it deserves in due time.

Damn, sucks it dropped that far down. Hope it bounces back up to the 90s like it deserves in due time.

The original has always had it's naysayers. Some folks just don't jive with what it's doing. I expected this film would have a similar reaction.

The average score, and the metascore, are pretty fucking high.

SOLDIER

Never saw the original: is it recommended I watch it before the sequel, or are the references vague to the point that it's unnecessary?

Are there any streaming services that rent the "definitive" version? There was a 4K re-release coming out, right?

kmax

Never saw the original: is it recommended I watch it before the sequel, or are the references vague to the point that it's unnecessary?

Are there any streaming services that rent the "definitive" version? There was a 4K re-release coming out, right?

I can adress your first question:

You definitely should watch the first film. You'll be able to appreciate the film if you don't, but you won't get as much out from it as it very much builds on the events that takes place in the first film. There's a lot of nuggets there that you will find in 2049 as well.

jett

D-Member
This shit is nothing but an admission of your own deficient attention span.

My favorite movie is nearly fours long. Do I also suffer from an attention deficit disorder if I also thought this movie felt really slow?

There can be more to a scene than blasting the audience with exposition or serving up pulse pounding action. Every drawn-out sequence is an invitation to immerse yourself in the world or imagine the inner lives of the characters. Each seemingly pointless interlude was designed and presented to you for reasons that might demand some careful thought to discover. How can you have the experience the director intended if you're impatiently waiting for your expectations to be fulfilled?

Do you have any idea how pretentious you sound like?

Although I do find it funny how you turn your nose up at exposition dumps, considering this movie has a few of its own.

nachum00

While it does work as a standalone film, it's a direct sequel with the characters from the first film being the major driving point of the plot. I'd recommend you watch part 1 first.

Watch it. It can stand on it's own but some scenes will be lacking emotion for you if you don't.

Spacebar

I don't think it's necessary, but I enjoyed it more after watching final cut over the weekend. I felt more connected to Deckard than I would have if I hadn't refreshed my memory.

I think Amazon video and YouTube has it on sale to rent.

Yeah, I won't be seeing the film until tomorrow, but everything I've heard paints it as a sequel-ass-sequel.

Not a reboot, not a remake, not a sequel designed to also serve as a jumping on point; a sequel. From what I'm hearing, it sounds closer to Godfather Part 2 or Empire Strikes Back than something like Fury Road or even The Force Awakens.

JB1981

Personally I would have preferred if this movie didn't involve Deckard and had nothing to do with the original characters. The most compelling aspects of the movie involve the new characters

jett

D-Member
Yeah, I won't be seeing the film until tomorrow, but everything I've heard paints it as a sequel-ass-sequel.

Not a reboot, not a remake, not a sequel designed to also serve as a jumping on point; a sequel. From what I'm hearing, it sounds closer to Godfather Part 2 or Empire Strikes Back than something like Fury Road or even The Force Awakens.

It's absolutely a sequel in every single way. If anything it's too much of a sequel. I don't understand people saying it stands on its own.

I'm a little worried about this movie's performance. My double feature theater was less than half full.

There were four people at my screening and one left mid-way. :p

What movie is this? Just curious. :)

Lawrence of Arabia, which coincidentally it's also my avatar. :p It shares the top spot with Master and Commander.

Monocle

You should absolutely watch the first film (Final Cut preferred).

There are many connections large and small. Your experience will be much improved if you can speculate on the meaning of certain developments as they bear on the orginal's plot. It's also nice to compare the style and setting of the first film with the new one.

You. I like you. Good post!
Thanks!

Surfinn

It's absolutely a sequel in every single way. If anything it's too much of a sequel. I don't understand people saying it stands on its own.

There were four people at my screening and one left mid-way. :p

Some dude stuck in and hung out next to me for like 45 min then left during the original, never to return (he asked if anyone was sitting there)

It was weird

black070

Personally I would have preferred if this movie didn't involve Deckard and had nothing to do with the original characters. The most compelling aspects of the movie involve the new characters

I thought it was a very well thought out continuation in all honesty, it ties into the first movie extremly well.

Blader

I don't know if I'm as high on the original score as a lot of you -- by which I mean the *entire* score -- but the stuff I can always go back to, like Blade Runner Blues, Memories of Green, and End Titles, are just goddamn fantastic.

I don't know if I'm as high on the original score as a lot of you -- by which I mean the *entire* score -- but the stuff I can always go back to, like Blade Runner Blues, Memories of Green, and End Titles, are just goddamn fantastic.

Tears in Rain bruh

Yeah, I mentioned this the other day. The Vangelis score is classic, but it's not like the entire score is really all that memorable. Its more that people really remember those certain individual key tracks more than anything else.

Mr. Hyde

Great film. The first 45 minutes appealed to my photographer side like no other. Roger Deakins is such an inspiration to me. The pacing in this film was so perfect. I could have just sat there for hours watching those landscapes. Denis is such a master. He slowed down and took his time with the flow of this movie compared to his other work. I hope Deakins tags alone for Dune if he does agree to do it.

Okay GAF I am sure this has been answered several times in this thread but I am going to ask again...

Never saw the original. Should I watch the theatrical cut or final cut for my first time?

Top Bottom