• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade Runner 2049 Review Thread

superfly

Watched it in an empty theatre really felt it was outstanding. The only real thing I didn't appreciate was the score. Not that it was bad but it was so Zimmery. Wish JJ hadn't been booted.

Trumpets

I agree it's too slow and too long. Loved the original (which is also pretty slow) but this was too portentous and plodding to be enjoyable, for me.

Also, Ryan Gosling doesn't have the charisma to carry a film like this on his own.

I agree it's too slow and too long. Loved the original (which is also pretty slow) but this was too portentous and plodding to be enjoyable, for me.

Also, Ryan Gosling doesn't have the charisma to carry a film like this on his own.

I haven't seen the film yet, but I know this right here is nonsense.

The Gos' is one of our very best right now.

So wrong, Gosling is literally one of the best leading men we have.

Yup. The Gos knocked it out of the ballpark with this film. Loved him as K.

So wrong, Gosling is literally one of the best leading men we have.

I was talking to my fiancé about the fact that I think there's an argument to be made that Gosling's track record is actually the more consistent between him and Ford, as much of an absolute legend as Ford is.

Drive, La La Land, Place Beyond The Pines, Blue Valentine, Lars and the Real Girl, The Nice Guys, Half Nelson, now Blade Runner 2049? Dude just keeps fucking hitting it outta the park.

Fjordson

aw hell naw

The score is actually even better when listened to on its own.

Memories of Green
Blade Runner Blues
Rachel's Song
Love Theme
Fading Away

The original score is so good and definitely worth listening to even independently of the movie imo.

I have multiple GB's worth of compilations and bootlegs in an effort to collect every piece of music that was made for Blade Runner (since none of the official releases have even come close to being complete).

I know Final Cut is the one that everyone always recommends, but for people that have seen 2049 - does it solidify in any way that final cut is the canon cut? I'm not familiar with all the differences. Probably going rewatch the original later before seeing 2049 tonight.

DeathyBoy

Banned
That is a damning indictment on modern day Hollywood.

I have no idea why you're having a pop at Gosling, given he's pretty damn versatile and can jump between stuff like Drive and stuff like The Nice Guys almost effortlessly.

Like he's, empirically, a guy who loves stretching himself. Dude was criticised for mumbling in films so he did a Shane Black film and then a friggin musical. The performance in Drive is nothing like The Nice Guys is nothing like La La Land.

Aurongel

That is a damning indictment on modern day Hollywood.
The guy has more range than Harrison Ford ever had at his peak. If "modern day Hollywood" is one that's filled with multifaceted actors then it's a Hollywood I'll gladly take.

The "Ryan Gosling is one note" hot take hasn't been hot since like 2011.

Flipyap

I know Final Cut is the one that everyone always recommends, but for people that have seen 2049 - does it solidify in any way that final cut is the canon cut? I'm not familiar with all the differences. Probably going rewatch the original later before seeing 2049 tonight.
Nope. Only the theatrical cut doesn't fit the continuity.

Blader

I'm listening to the 2049 score right now and it doesn't really sound like a typical Zimmer score to me, at least not like one he's done in the last decade+. It sounds to me like a more dynamic version of something Johan would do.

I'm fucking HERE for this Ryan Gosling love-in.

giphy.gif

Every scene builds atmosphere or contributes to character development. Saying there are completely needless scenes embeds the claim that you understand the purpose each scene should serve. Quite honestly, if you're going to throw around terms like "dull" and "long" when you're discussing a purposefully moody, atmospheric film that is consistent in its use of deliberately paced shots and wordless sequences, your grasp of cinematic technique is probably not as firm as you'd like to think.

There can be more to a scene than blasting the audience with exposition or serving up pulse pounding action. Every drawn-out sequence is an invitation to immerse yourself in the world or imagine the inner lives of the characters. Each seemingly pointless interlude was designed and presented to you for reasons that might demand some careful thought to discover. How can you have the experience the director intended if you're impatiently waiting for your expectations to be fulfilled?

Movies have so much to offer if you can leave your preconceptions at the door and let them unfold on their own terms. "What happens next?" is not always the most important or appropriate question.

Yeah, ok, you've convinced me. It's wrong to criticise any film ever made. Well done. Have a 100 internet points.

Harrison Ford puts out a much better and charismatic performance in the film, IMO.

Ryan does a fine job, I just don't think he's quite as good as people say he is.

Ryan's performance is more understated, but nuanced. There's a bit of a French New Wave thing kinda going on with him in the film.

He's not my absolute favorite performance of 2049, but I think Ryan did a better job here as K than Harrison Ford did as Deckard in the original film.

korona15

Banned

I agree with your assessment of Gosliing. The script and direction also contributed to the flat performance. I guess I like emotional range in actors, a lot of people don't seem to care if they have it or not.

Ryan Gosling is a versatile actor and a treasure of modern Hollywood. Dude can do it all. He was the leading man in the best comedy of 2016, The Nice Guys. In the same year he sang and danced his little heart out. And remember Remember the Titans? He was in that, too.

Still haven't seen the movie. Got back from a business trip last night, turned out the arcade bar down the street was having a Blade Runner themed trivia night. We were winning but ended up tied at the end; the tiebreaker was top score (one attempt) at Crazy Taxi; we lost.

Still, our team of three got two BR2049 shirts, one LED umbrella, and 24 bucks in Fandango cash each to buy a pair of tix to go see BR2049. Plus 10 bucks in bar credit for getting second place.

FWIW of the four rounds one was Blade Runner themed and we aced it.

9xo73pS.jpg

zVimWAw.jpg

DeathyBoy

Banned
Harrison Ford puts out a much better and charismatic performance in the film, IMO.

Ryan does a fine job, I just don't think he's quite as good as people say he is.

He's better.

Again, the same guy was criticised for being monotone and mumbling and lacking charisma. So he made a Shane Black film and was hilarious. Then he made a musical despite having minimal dance and singing experience.

It seems like you have a weird issue with him, but in versatility alone he's in his own league.

Just left the cinema a few minutes ago.

Whew lad

I loved it but I think, like the first film, it'll need a rewatch to truly shine.

The projection at my screening was kinda shitty, though. Could barely read the credits 'cause it was so blurry.

God dam!

Watched the movie last night, slept on it and fully digested it.

The atmosphere is so good, i love the always raining, dirty, cold unfriendly world that Los Angeles is displayed as again, this time around is so much better than the last.

I hope Cyberpunk 2077 displays night city like this considering it's pretty much the same location, a little north of the mega city Los Angeles has become.

Such a beautiful movie, i hope it wins an Oscar for cinematography or something.

jett

D-Member
I wonder what the fuck Johann was doing, then... Given that Denis copped that he let Johann go to back to something closer to the original Vangelis.

It's honestly a mystery to me. The musical connections this score has to the original are mostly subtle and minimal. 99% of it doesn't resemble Vangelis at all.

This is like the third time he's retired, and there's still one upcoming film of his. :)

Get'sMad

man just browsing my local theaters that have reserved seating for showings tonight and every single one is like 95% open.....

Surfinn

He's better.

Again, the same guy was criticised for being monotone and mumbling and lacking charisma. So he made a Shane Black film and was hilarious. Then he made a musical despite having minimal dance and singing experience.

It seems like you have a weird issue with him, but in versatility alone he's in his own league.

My weird issue is that I haven't seen anything he's done that's really blown me away, as an actor. Maybe I need to watch Shane Black then.

I'm not saying he's not hard working or is bad of course. I thought he had a scene or two in Blade Runner that fell flat. But he was generally good.

I think Harrison Ford is much, much better overall, even if he hasn't done as many different kinds of roles as Ryan.

His post is the fucking opposite of twaddle. Just because he disagrees with you doesn't make it "twaddle." It's a pretty well-written post, you don't have to agree with it.

It tells me that I don't understand cinema because the film has plenty of dull sections, and seems to think that I have incorrect expectations and don't know how to watch movies. It's utter twaddle at its finest.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Loved the movie except for 3 or 4 handhold on moments.

Phenomenal special effects and cinematography, the soundscape and score and acting all top notch.

But man, those handheld story moments need to be excised in a directors cut/workprint/final cut. Pronto

Surfinn

Loved the movie except for 3 or 4 handhold on moments.

Phenomenal special effects and cinematography, the soundscape and score and acting all top notch.

But man, those handheld story moments need to be excised in a directors cut/workprint/final cut. Pronto

Yeah there were a few heavy handed scenes for sure.

Top Bottom