• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS HD Collection Vita screens

lol @ the date on that youtube video....March 11

how are japanese game/media still able to release happy cool commercials in good conscience during this grave mourning period??? isnt there some kinda national day of weeping much like in North Korea when Kimmy died???? now that was GRIEVING!

joke post of course

Sub native resolution... Disappoint.

Holy fucking crap! This is baffling, heart breaking, and absolutely unacceptable to me :(

The deal with Uncharted was bad enough (and soured me out of getting a Vita at launch), but I thought/hoped it won't be a running trend... Sub-native resolution for a PS2 port?? You gotta be fucking kidding me.

Having sub-native resolution and scaling artifacts pretty much completely negates the allure of the OLED screen for me.

/dumbfounded

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Holy fucking crap! This is baffling, heart breaking, and absolutely unacceptable to me :(

The deal with Uncharted was bad enough (and soured me out of getting a Vita at launch), but I thought/hoped it won't be a running trend... Sub-native resolution for a PS2 port?? You gotta be fucking kidding me.

Having sub-native resolution and scaling artifacts pretty much completely negates the allure of the OLED screen for me.

/dumbfounded
Did you see what Uncharted looks like when you play it on Vita? Something tells me you didn't :p

Did you see what Uncharted looks like when you play it on Vita? Something tells me you didn't :p

No I didn't, and I'm sure it looks "great", "fantastic", or whatever, but the fact is that there is a negative effect on image quality with upscaling vs. running at native screen resoltion. There are no two ways about it. Whether you will notice it or if it bothers you or not is subjective. I am pretty sure I would notice it and it would bother me, and that's enough reason for me to "vote with my wallet" on the issue.

DrBo42

No I didn't, and I'm sure it looks "great", "fantastic", or whatever, but the fact is that there is a negative effect on image quality with upscaling vs. running at native screen resoltion. There are no two ways about it. Whether you will notice it or if it bothers you or not is subjective. I am pretty sure I would notice it and it would bother me, and that's enough reason for me to "vote with my wallet" on the issue.

Everyone is new to the console. Add in the fact that Kojima has never been the greatest with ports, and it's pretty understandable. Not to be confused with acceptable, but yeah.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.

/dumbfounded

Jesus dude, chill out. You'd think they were building the game from the ground up. It's a port and it looks better than the PS2 version. Those pics in the OP are larger and you're studying still shots. Look at the size comparison.

YZxCM.jpg

No I didn't, and I'm sure it looks "great", "fantastic", or whatever, but the fact is that there is a negative effect on image quality with upscaling vs. running at native screen resoltion. There are no two ways about it.

Not only have you not seen one of the key titles running on a 5" OLED screen but you're jumping on a bandwagon FUDing for the sake of it. THere is a massive difference between a portable and a console upsacling when one screen size is over 25" larger than another. Talk about over dramatic.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It can be noticed if you look for it, but I wouldn't say it's bothersome in any way really. It's definitely significantly less noticeable compared to playing a 720p game on 1080p TVs, which is what pretty much everyone with a console is doing nowadays.

Raonak

Banned

Well, guess it depends on the user. I'd rather have the tech that Uncharted is pushing than have a higher resolution. It's still the best looking vita game imo. the other vita games look really good, but don't have the same jawdropping impact. animation, dynamic lighting, enviromental detail, not to mention scale (especially at later parts of the game.)

MGS screenshots look great on the vita :/

There were no Sons of Liberty or Snake Eater HD for Vita before, either. They can include them now because they made them exist, just as they could've with Peace Walker.

Ok, I think what he means is that in japan,the HD collection(MGS2/MGS3) and peacewalker HD was packaged and sold separately.

That was different for overseas. Now for japanese demo screenies, of course the would have ported "the collection" first. Hopefully the western versions will include Peacewlker.

thechemist

I am coming here to say as well the screens look amazing when saved on the vita itself!

Those big enlarged screens don't do the game any justice.

Ok, I think what he means is that in japan,the HD collection(MGS2/MGS3) and peacewalker HD was packaged and sold separately.

That was different for overseas. Now for japanese demo screenies, of course the would have ported "the collection" first. Hopefully the western versions will include Peacewlker.

Ah, indeed. That'd slipped my mind.

Sorry, Ridley.

New CM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAaHfEv1FHI

I don't think they announced it would have touch controls? Either way, I'm sure getting it now.

That made me think of some control concepts for the Vita. Since you can use it for peeking, why not make it option to pull up the gun using backpad? I mean option like turn it off and on.

Swipe, press and hold backpad to pull up the gun in first person automatically, let go touchscreen and aim with left analog (that's how MGS2 played anyways) while still holding backpad, shoot with square. If you let go of backpad you go back into cover like how it's done in mgs2.

Browsed these on my Vita and they look fantastic. Glad I held off on the PS3 version.
I was just browsing through the PS3 HD LE art book last night, and was thinking how glad I was that I could get that... I'll buy these games again on the Vita, though; hell, I've already got five* versions of each - what's one more? ;)

* ya, FIVE! I just realized that!!
For MGS2:
  1. MGS2 Sons of Liberty
  2. MGS2 Substance
  3. MGS2 Substance XBox
  4. MGS2 Substance Metal Gear Essentials Collection
  5. MGS2 Substance PS3 HD
For MGS3
  1. MGS3 Snake Eater
  2. MGS3 Subsistence
  3. MGS3 Subsistence Metal Gear Essentials Collection
  4. MGS3 PS3 HD
  5. MGS3D
It's a sickness... o_O

That commercial has made me even more stoked for this. This is what every dev that wants to make a console like game or wants to remake one for the Vita should do. There's plenty of actions that used to be button presses that now can be made using the touch-screen. No need for bumpers and pressing down the analog sticks.

LeleSocho

Banned
wat? people thinks this looks good?
boy oh boy you sure need your eyes checked
just look at the text of MGS2.. is that a joke? not to mention the aliasing (yes i've seen it on the Vita still looks awful for an "HD" edition)

Binabik15

Sad that it is sub-native, but it's lolnami. Probably spend a tray off coffe to go to get an intern to do the porting overnight and nothing more. If it's really impossible to get graphics heavy games running at native res on Vita make simpler games, devs.

I'll buy this as soon as I find a place to pre-order, though. I'd buy each game at full price, even. In my defence, I only bought the original MGS2 once and only bought MGS3 twice because I never got my steelbook edition back from a friend I borrowed it to. I'm not a sucker, really!

Mr. Swine said:
Looks good, but why in the world are they calling it HD when the PSV resolutions isn't even close to HD :/ isn't that flat out lying?
They tried to call it Sub-qHD Edition, but Square Enix claimed to have a patent on such stupid subtitles.

TriGen

That looked pretty good, how does the PS3 collection look? I never played the MGS games because I used mostly my Nintendo consoles at the time.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Looks good, but why in the world are they calling it HD when the PSV resolutions isn't even close to HD :/ isn't that flat out lying?
Let's be honest here. 960x544 on the high DPI Vita screen is going to appear MUCH sharper than 1280x720 on a larger 1080p display any day. It may not be a full 720p, but it hardly matters as the results are incredibly sharp.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Picture looks good on a PSV, just like Uncharted. As usual, the sub-native res stuff is blown out of proportion, but it's expected by now. I'll double dip on the HD collection since I'm a sucker for all things MGS, and I don't have the trophies for this game since I bought the collection on the 360.

Edit:

If the basis for buying games or not was whether they ran in native res, software sales would be magnitudes lower than they are now, since such a small amuont of games ever run at 1280x720 on the consoles.

Ridley327

I hope they add in the graphical enhancements from MGS3D, as well as the control options. I see no reason why they shouldnt.

The only work they're doing is translating the current control layout to the Vita's layout and recording new VA to explain those controls. You're not going to see any of the 3DS graphical improvements or the control refinements. This is as straight a port of the PS2 version as you're going to get on the Vita.

You're talking out of your ass. Honestly, especially with Uncharted GA, the sub native aspect was overblown to such an extend it's ridiculous. The game looks amazing, the IQ is sound and outside of the occasional jagged edges it's about as good as a launch game can get.

Now I would agree that having a PS2 port not running at the native res of the screen is indeed pathethic, cause unlike Uncharted which has amazing visuals and texture resolutions, these games aren't even close to resemble cutting edge visuals on the Vita.
Especially MGS2 didn't really age well. All those painted 4 colour textures can't hide the fact that the environments are about as blocky as they are sterile.

Confiture

Banned
You're talking out of your ass. Honestly, especially with Uncharted GA, the sub native aspect was overblown to such an extend it's ridiculous. The game looks amazing, the IQ is sound and outside of the occasional jagged edges it's about as good as a launch game can get.

Now I would agree that having a PS2 port not running at the native res of the screen is indeed pathethic, cause unlike Uncharted which has amazing visuals and texture resolutions, these games aren't even close to resemble cutting edge visuals on the Vita.
Especially MGS2 didn't really age well. All those painted 4 colour textures can't hide the fact that the environments are about as blocky as they are sterile.

Exactly what I was going to say.
Uncharted is an ambitious game so the sub qhd res isn't that surprising.
But not being able to make a ps2 game run at qhd, what the hell???

dark10x

If the basis for buying games or not was whether they ran in native res, software sales would be magnitudes lower than they are now, since such a small amuont of games ever run at 1280x720 on the consoles.
That's actually completely wrong. Believe it or not, the majority of games released for 360 and PS3 *DO*, in fact, run at 1280x720. It just so happens that a number of high profile games use a sub-HD resolution and that has drawn attention to the situation.

I disagree. The game has very smooth shading and a design clean enough that it still holds up. Games that attempt to cram too much detail onto a machine that isn't capable of it tend to hold up much worse. MGS2 is very slick and smooth all around even today.

Ridley327

MGS2 may not screenshot so well these days, but playing it is a totally different story. It was designed from day 1 to be one of the smoothest running and playing games out there. It's bound to look great on the Vita screen, especially during the VR missions, where the color schemes are out of this world.

That's actually completely wrong. Believe it or not, the majority of games released for 360 and PS3 *DO*, in fact, run at 1280x720. It just so happens that a number of high profile games use a sub-HD resolution and that has drawn attention to the situation.

I disagree. The game has very smooth shading and a design clean enough that it still holds up. Games that attempt to cram too much detail onto a machine that isn't capable of it tend to hold up much worse. MGS2 is very slick and smooth all around even today.

Well I can see that angle, but most of the visual flair that the original MGS2 had, was down to the 60fps, and not so much for the detail in the environment. It worked for what it was, but that's about all the positive I can say about it. Outside of character models and particle effects the game really didn't do much for me on the graphics side.

I think it's safe to say, that the sub native Res of this collection, as well as the 30 fps are a testament to KOjiPro being cheapskates.

Ridley327

The only proof that we have of any of the games being 30 fps is that they had a shot of MGS3's title screen with a frame counter on top of it. The title screen for MGS3 has a variable framerate that could be controlled by the player, and this is the same story for the game running on the consoles.

dark10x

June 2012 is still "launch phase"?!
I'd say, yeah. The first year of a system is basically "launch phase" in so much as it is typically each companies first attempt at creating a game for a machine.

This was definitely the case for 3DS last year, which had a lot of shoddy efforts for 8-9 months before really high quality stuff started showing up.

hd=1280x720 or 1920x1080. Anything else isn't.
If you're staying strict to the standard, sure, but as I said above, a high DPI produces a more pleasing image than, say, a 1280x720 image on a 1080p display.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'd say, yeah. The first year of a system is basically "launch phase" in so much as it is typically each companies first attempt at creating a game for a machine.

This was definitely the case for 3DS last year, which had a lot of shoddy efforts for 8-9 months before really high quality stuff started showing up.

If you're staying strict to the standard, sure, but as I said above, a high DPI produces a more pleasing image than, say, a 1280x720 image on a 1080p display.

Which is what people tend to ignore when just comparing it to native Vita res vs the actual res of the game. Everything looks much sharper on its native screen regardless of resolution.

First year? So MGS3D was also "launch phase"?

I think 3DS also had a few high quality efforts within the first 8-9 months (DOA, Layton 5, the N64 remakes, RE Mercenaries) though they were few and far between. Some decents ports too (SSF4, Tales of the Abyss, One Piece UCSP, etc).

"Launch window"
Launch windows keep getting longer and longer. 3DS was 3 months, Vita's now 6 months I guess. :/

dark10x

First year? So MGS3D was also "launch phase"?

I think 3DS also had a few high quality efforts within the first 8-9 months (DOA, Layton 5, the N64 remakes, RE Mercenaries) though they were few and far between. Some decents ports too (SSF4, Tales of the Abyss, One Piece UCSP, etc).
Honestly, the US launch for Vita was stronger for me than the first 8-9 months of 3DS.

Perhaps first year was a bit much, but at least the first 6-9 months. MGS3D sure looks and plays like a launch game, though. ;)

Top Bottom