• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So.... did anyone else know Kirsten Dunst was in a im turning japanese music video?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen Aku

As much as I like Kristen Dunst, I'm not going to watch that for the sake of my sanity.

Also directed by McG... Oh boy.

ZOONAMI

Probably needs to be in the OP.

Song was released in 1980 and 'Turning Japanese' is an archaic piece of British slang to describe squinting one's eyes when climaxing.

The song is about wanking, in other words.

The exhibition this was part of also featured a couple of Jeff Koons pieces and several other notable 90s/00s Pop Art creators. This is the original picture Murakami painted that inspired the video:

4058957388_39abe8be8f_b.jpg

That isn't what the band said the song is about, and a solitary wikipedia source doesn't really sell me on the song being about that.

Anyway, this art exhibit still doesn't really explain why Kirsten Dunst was a part of the exhibit, why this song has anything to do with the exhibit, etc. The whole thing is bizarre.

kyser73

That isn't what the band said the song is about, and a solitary wikipedia source doesn't really sell me on the song being about that.

Anyway, this art exhibit still doesn't really explain why Kirsten Dunst was a part of the exhibit, why this song has anything to do with the exhibit, etc. The whole thing is bizarre.

Murakami wanted to work with her is about the extent of it IIRC. I've actually done a deep dive into my old photo folders because I took a ton at Pop Life including the description panels, but couldn't find the one for Princess... which details their collaboration.

As to the song...well, that's what it's about :)

Metalmarc

Hmmm it also popped up on my recommendations on Sunday and thought so she sings now? youtube pushing this thing for views?

televator

I watched half of it yesterday, because of how it was juxtaposed to her serious appearance on Hidden Figures. Which I saw just recently. I was just "Why, how, what..." lol

Bossun

I was actually in Akihabara when that thing was being filmed. I remember getting out of a shop with a friend à getting face to face with the dancing blue guys. It took us a moment to realise it was Kirsten Dunst though with the wig, the movements and the people..
It might have been around 2008 - 2009

Probably needs to be in the OP.

Song was released in 1980 and 'Turning Japanese' is an archaic piece of British slang to describe squinting one's eyes when climaxing.

The song is about wanking, in other words.

The exhibition this was part of also featured a couple of Jeff Koons pieces and several other notable 90s/00s Pop Art creators. This is the original picture Murakami painted that inspired the video:

4058957388_39abe8be8f_b.jpg

I need receipts here. I've never heard this about that expression

Saw this years ago and for some reason it's been all over my youtube recommandations lately. Nice to see that I'm not alone.
I'd love to read a breakdown of how that happened.

Ploid 3.0

Yeah, I saw a video or picture of her as she was making it. Maybe a paparazzi pic, she was looking at the photographer in a, "leave me alone" kind of way. She's been a anime fan for a long time apparently.

Spladam

This was new to me too OP, and holy crap she was hot in that video. She was really good in the second season of Fargo, which I just finished.

As much as I like Kristen Dunst, I'm not going to watch that for the sake of my sanity.

Also directed by McG... Oh boy.

Yup. It is actually an amazingly good video.

I was not expecting to like it as much as I did. Both the video and the cover were rather well executed.

Kadin

I remember seeing pictures when she was there filming this and I thought she looked pretty damn good. Just watched a bit of the video and I can confirm that earlier me was correct.

Macka

This randomly popped up in my YT recommendations a few days ago as well.

I saw the thread title and was like 'what are the chances', but I guess this must be a weird thing that's affecting everyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom