• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what IPs can nintendo still use to breathe life into the 3DS in 2018?

sphinx

the piano man
I was just thinking about this and thought, I should ask GAF haha

with Metroid and Pikmin in 2017 it seems every major and middle-tier IP has made it into the 3DS, that being said nintendo, wants the 3DS to live forever...so.

IYO, what IPs can they still use to make 2018 somewhat exciting? it can be IPs too that have appeared on the 3DS already. the only thing is that nintendo normally does one, two games max, per IP for every piece of hardware so I dont think we'll see more fire emblem ór main Mario from them.

One thing I'd love to see is a from-the-ground-up, brand-new, non-port-whatsoever of Donkey Kong Country. in 2018

we had returns 3D very early on and I think a new, exciting game would make gamers happy and it's the kind of game that doesn't need the Switch power, it can look stunning on 3DS if nintendo whats it.

what else is there that they can put for 3DS on 2018?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Tokyo Mirage Sessions port
Tropical Freeze port
Captain Toad port
Wonderful 101 port

F-zero

As much as I'd prefer one on switch. It would be cheaper to develop and less of a risk for Nintendo just to gauge how viable the series still is. Also having one in 3D would be awesome.

Considering what we are getting this year (not that the 3DS had a bad year, it's just obvious the substantial games aren't coming) I have no idea how they can keep the 3DSs momentum going in 2018. But I mean I don't expect them to do much. Switches are flying off the shelves and its popularity will only get stronger.

Sushi Strikers is 2018, no? I think it'll be that and maybe just 1 or 2 games at most. Probably not anything fancy, maybe just a port or a remake or something else relatively small-scale. All hands are pretty clearly going to be on deck for Switch by then.

They'll probably localize Yokai Watch 3 and there's possibly Dragon Quest XI. Then there's Radiant Historia and SMT: Strange Journey Redux's localizations and I think those are the only confirmed non-Nintendo games for next year. Most of the major third-party developers are moving on and Nintendo's studios seem to be as well.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Pokémon, it did it before during the Game Boy era when the original gen 1 game was released.

Now before people start jumping in and saying "but but they just said that they are moving to the Switch." Yes that is true but it could get delayed which has happened twice in the series so they could fire out one game for the system say a probable Sinnoh remake.

Maxey

Wouldn't run very well on 3DS I don't think. Besides I think Sony moneyhatted the exclusivity rights.

L85IbAt.png

sphinx

the piano man
Splatoon 2D platformer.

interesting idea. I'd like to see that.

also people, pokemon.. yet again, after playing sun and moon and the ultras to death... I don't think that would make 2018 exciting in the least, personally at least.

not to mention, to fanbase is expecting the switch game, it's nonse to distract them with a mainline pokemon game on 3ds in 2018.

z0m3le

Banned
3DS will start to be phased out next year and will have eol in 2019. It is mostly saturated the Japanese market, and that focus will move onto Switch and smart phones. Development takes 2 to 3 years, so teams that released 3DS games in 2015 and worked on new 3DS projects will finish off their games next year, meanwhile late 2015 and early 2016 Switch devkits went out to Nintendo's internal teams. Now 3DS is just filling a gap while Switch's userbase grows, with the current pace, it will pass 20 million before fall 2018, That is a big enough userbase to move away from 3DS. The timeline is why we see so many Wii U ports, the last internal development that saw games for the Wii U, was in 2015 with Splatoon, Mario Maker and Xenoblade X. Those teams were put onto Switch devkits after that, which is why we see Splatoon 2 and Xenoblade 2 happening so fast. Mario Maker has no port yet, but I would be surprised if a sequel wasn't happening.

3DS will end it's life around 80 million units, give or take a few, that is respectable for a platform with such a poor image problem and launch.

simonshinra

Neo Member
After Samus Returns, I'd love a remake of Zelda II, I think it would be quite easy to develop; also, the game would greatly benefit from some modern tweaks.

18-Volt

Honestly, I wouldn't say no for another "Echoes" Fire Emblem remake. Genealogy/Thracia compilation, for instance.

butman

It's dead Jim

Nope

Metroid: Samus Returns
Monster Hunter Stories
Yo-Kai Watch 2: Psychic Specters
Culdcept Revolt
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga + Bowser's Minions
Pokemon Ultra Sun
Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth
Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaires' Conspiracy
Persona Q2
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux
Fire Emblem Warriors
Kirby's Blowout Blast

Atheerios

Nope

Monster Hunter Stories
Culdcept Revolt
Pokemon Ultra Sun
Persona Q2

We're talking next year...

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I only need Dragon Quest XI and ill be fine. Everything else would be an extra at this point.

Nope

Monster Hunter Stories
Culdcept Revolt
Pokemon Ultra Sun
Persona Q2

Pretty much - some people just keep living in their own bubble.

Forward

Nope

Monster Hunter Stories
Culdcept Revolt
Pokemon Ultra Sun
Persona Q2
Fire Emblem Warriors
Kirby's Blowout Blast

The haters will never, ever win. :)

Honestly after DQ11 next year they should just let it die.
let-it-die-lorax-o.gif

But if they do continue with the 3DS support then something Advance Wars related would be great.

Yeah... I honestly don't know if there's anything else they can put on 3DS that wouldn't be better suited on Switch. That console already had it's go at Mario, Zelda, Animal Crossing, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, and now Metroid and even Earthbound via VC!

I don't expect them to fully pull the plug in 2018, but I'm also not expecting any "big" first party titles.

Top Bottom