• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what IPs can nintendo still use to breathe life into the 3DS in 2018?

scamander

Banned
I don't expect many first party offerings in 2018, but I hope they'll bring some more third party games to the West, that would otherwise stay in Japan. The Great Ace Attorney 1+2, Dragon Quest XI, Inazuma Eleven Go Galaxy (for Europe), The Snack World and the Yo-Kai Watch spin-offs come to mind.

Lgndryhr

giphy.gif

There might be more ports, plus maybe something like Warioland was in the works which they can't cancel anymore. But the "success" of the 3DS has been blown out of proportion for a long time. The install base is only great in Japan, but at best middling in western countries - - it's by a very large margin their worst selling handheld. In certain months some years ago the NPD leaks suggested that 3DS units sold were nearly as low as WiiU already, when there weren't major releases like revisions or Pokemon. And other than Pokemon, 3DS games here haven't exactly set the western charts on fire for a couple of years either. So in reality nothing suggests that 3DS still has this active userbase that would be this guarantee for sure-fire profits. This year its lineup was better than Switch, but only because it was their last resort. With Switch not flopping, that isn't the case anymore.

Pejo

As the owner of 2 3DS (original and a *New* XL), and a Switch - I hope the 3DS dies so I can get more Switch goodness. I don't really play games outside of my house, even if portable, so the 3DS is just a couch machine like any other game console I own. I'm not liking that trend of handheld-only Switch games though, kills the whole gimmick of the console for me.

That said, more on-topic: I wouldn't mind seeing a new Trauma Center out of nowhere. I miss those games.

fetus8

I think I would be sort of disappointed, but I would actually love if Nintendo gave the 3DS the full catalog of virtual console games. Like give me access to GB, GBA, DS, NES, SNES, and even N64 (if it could handle it) games and I would be in love. I'd prefer if they did this on the Switch, but would also be waaay into this too.

CANLI

Nintendo has almost used all of its IP during the last 6 years. It would be difficult to release other games and sell well.

Maybe a zelda maker or a 3d version of Mario kart 8
I thought on trauma center but I prefer a release of a switch version

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
What was the last one? What is the next one that's been announced?

2018 wouldn't be overnight.

Considering Switch has only just launched in March 2017 I would consider it too quick for Nintendo to completely move on from it especially with the way Nintendo are struggling to keep Switch hardware demand satisfied. The Switch hardware shortages will probably continue well into 2018 so why not release new games (even if they're spin offs) and ports of old Wii / Wii U games for 3DS to make money in the meantime? It's basic business sense.

These massive corporations only take calculated risks especially considering the massive jump in development costs going from 3DS to Switch (it's about a 100x leap in computational terms and the largest technological generational leap ever). Not every new game will be exclusive to Switch as Fire Emblem Warriors shows.

Nintendo can make a lot of easy money by porting things like Mario 3D World, Captain Toad and DKC Tropical Freeze to 3DS as Mario Maker and Yoshi's Wooly World have already shown. They're almost guaranteed 1 million+ Worldwide sales from the porting costs of peanuts because there were a lot of Wii U games 3DS fans wanted to play but didn't feel Wii U was worth the investment.

Neoxon

There might be more ports, plus maybe something like Warioland was in the works which they can't cancel anymore. But the "success" of the 3DS has been blown out of proportion for a long time. The install base is only great in Japan, but at best middling in western countries - - it's by a very large margin their worst selling handheld. In certain months some years ago the NPD leaks suggested that 3DS units sold were nearly as low as WiiU already, when there weren't major releases like revisions or Pokemon. And other than Pokemon, 3DS games here haven't exactly set the western charts on fire for a couple of years either. So in reality nothing suggests that 3DS still has this active userbase that would be this guarantee for sure-fire profits. This year its lineup was better than Switch, but only because it was their last resort. With Switch not flopping, that isn't the case anymore.
I can understand the Metroid remake, but topping Zelda, MK8D, ARMS, Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey, & Xenoblade 2? The only stand-out 2017 3DS games from Nintendo are Metroid, Pokémon, & Fire Emblem (not sure if the Pikmin spin-off turned out to be any good).

Peltz

Let's wait and see how Metroid does before we determine whether or not the audience has moved on. I'm sure Nintendo will be paying close attention to sales of that title to determine the handheld's future.

It may still work as a budget platform for budget releases next to the Switch.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member

There's a very good chance the 3DS family of systems will outsell the GBA by the time Nintendo stop it's production. 2DS could hit $50 with a bundled game, 2DS XL could hit $100 with a bundled game in the next year which is a no brainer for a family who want a cheap Pokemon / Mario machine.

Considering Switch has only just launched in March 2017 I would consider it too quick for Nintendo to completely move on from it especially with the way Nintendo are struggling to keep Switch hardware demand satisfied. The Switch hardware shortages will probably continue well into 2018 so why not release new games (even if they're spin offs) and ports of old Wii / Wii U games for 3DS to make money in the meantime? It's basic business sense.

These massive corporations only take calculated risks especially considering the massive jump in development costs going from 3DS to Switch (it's about a 100x leap in computational terms and the largest technological generational leap ever). Not every new game will be exclusive to Switch as Fire Emblem Warriors shows.

Nintendo can make a lot of easy money by porting things like Mario 3D World, Captain Toad and DKC Tropical Freeze to 3DS as Mario Maker and Yoshi's Wooly World have already shown. They're almost guaranteed 1 million+ Worldwide sales from the porting costs of peanuts because there were a lot of Wii U games 3DS fans wanted to play but didn't feel Wii U was worth the investment.

I'm not against ports. I'm just curious who would port what. As I said, it seems apparent that internally, Nintendo has moved on which would rule out their teams. Nintendo often uses external companies for porting but my main thing is, would these companies be better served porting games to the Switch instead since that is the console they are trying to push and focus on. Isn't it easier to port a Wii U game to Switch then 3DS? Wii ports make sense.

New games is even more problematic. We have Metroid and Pokemon. Nothing from Nintendo themselves.

Neoxon

Please please please just kill it. I want to play my switch for more than 3 months a year.
The 3DS losing both Pokémon & Fire Emblem after this year means that that it's done. It's now a question of how long Nintendo can keep it on life support (though third parties may do a good job of that on their own).

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Please please please just kill it. I want to play my switch for more than 3 months a year.

Oh dear. Is the 3DS threatening you and preventing you from approaching your Switch to turn it on?

The manual does say to keep it out of reach of knives for a reason.

Let's wait and see how Metroid does before we determine whether or not the audience has moved on. I'm sure Nintendo will be paying close attention to sales of that title to determine the handheld's future.

It may still work as a budget platform for budget releases next to the Switch.

Looking at Hey Pikmin or Fire Emblem Echoes would make more sense. Metroid is a special case and I doubt they have other projects that would appeal to its special kind of starving demographic that is more interested in playing a new franchise entry than actually excited about digging up their 3DS.

There's a very good chance the 3DS family of systems will outsell the GBA by the time Nintendo stop it's production. 2DS could hit $50 with a bundled game, 2DS XL could hit $100 with a bundled game in the next year which is a no brainer for a family who want a cheap Pokemon / Mario machine.

I doubt it, but even if so, it would have needed like 7-9 years to get to the point where GBA was after like 4? That just proves that it wasn't that hot of an item that some people try to make it out to be.

Instro

What's that conclusion based on? It would need to sell in the range of 15m units to catch the GBA at this point. That's nearly twice what the DS has sold since the launch of the 3DS. That doesn't even go into the issue of the DS stunting GBA sales when it launched 3 years after the GBA launched. The 3DS is assured to be their worst performing handheld, certainly if you consider how much money they lost on it after the massive price drop.

3DS still has life as long as all those wonderful games (DS + 3DS) are trapped in its ecosystem.

Once (or if) the games become available on VC, then and only then will the system be completely and utterly dead.

Ondore

North America hopefully gets Inazuma Eleven as a World Cup sop (or Pocket Football Club?)

Given all of the footage for Fire Emblem Warriors is the Switch version, I wonder if the New 3DS port will slip to 2018, or maybe another Echoes game (Genealogy of the Holy War, come on down) to get ready for the big one on Switch.

Also, we haven't heard anything about the Mario and Sonic Olympics games for the winter games next year. Assuming Pyeongchang isn't a smoking crater by then...

GLAMr

I'm quite happy for Nintendo to support the 3DS until they iron out the wrinkles on the Switch (I.e. Supply issues, more killer apps, steep pricing). The fact that they dropped the New 2DS recently suggests to me that they want the platform to have legs for a year or so.

I would like to see another 2D Zelda, plus ports of any remaining 2D Zelda games (I don't think Minish Cap is on VC). They could just reuse significant chunks of code/assets from A Link Between Worlds to make a follow up game like they did with Links Awakening > OoS/OoA, OoT > MM and I'm assuming TP>SS. They could even farm it out like they did with the Oracle games. They were excellent.

Fiendcode

I doubt it, but even if so, it would have needed like 7-9 years to get to the point where GBA was after like 4? That just proves that it wasn't that hot of an item that some people try to make it out to be.
Yes, very similar to PSP. The only way 3DS would beat GBA ltd is by taking twice as long to do so.

That said the late 3DS growth is unusual for a Nintendo system. The only other one to ever do something like this was the original Gameboy in the mid 90s with the Pocket model and Pokémon revitalizing it, but that was even more pronounced. It's not impossible we see 3DS passing 80m depending on how Nintendo proceeds with the platform.

Astral Dog

Nothing. They shouldn't try to because it's dumb. The entire future release is about getting the best out of the 3DSs death throes, not about breathing new life into it
3DS is still selling around the same as Switch in some territories, i don't think people yet get that Nintendo can't get away with throwing a high userbase with the idea their fanbase will move to their nexr system, the Wii and DS to 3DS and Wii U transition humbled them just enough.

A long dormant IP that would generate some hype (well, it will get the usual "why not on swiiiitch ?!") and wouldn't be too expensive to produce, like F-Zero, Advance Wars, Wario platformer or minigames.
And also some ports from the GC/Wii/WiiU like Luigi Mansion 1, Punch-Out, Kirby Epic Yarn, DKTF...

Hopefully none tbh

Part of what made me buy a Switch was that Nintendo's efforts would all be focused on one platform (like they said before it came out) instead of divided between a console and a handheld. More games on 3DS just means less on Switch, and fuck that mess.

WarioWare. Wario Land 5. F-Zero X 3D. Advance Wars. Puzzle League.
Honestly forgot about Wario but it's been awhile since he had a spin-off. What was it Game and Wario? Dramatic difference from the Gameboy through DS days where he was getting platformer spin-offs and minigames collections.

3DS is still selling around the same as Switch in some territories, i don't think people yet get that Nintendo can't get away with throwing a high userbase with the idea their fanbase will move to their nexr system, the Wii and DS to 3DS and Wii U transition humbled them just enough.

I get it. It's why they're still releasing games, but the idea that they should actively try to "breath life" into it, as opposed to preserving what life it has left is a nonsensical idea. Luckily it seems like Nintendo has realized this as there's been a clear transition in the resources and projects allocated to the 3DS vs the Switch

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
I'm not against ports. I'm just curious who would port what. As I said, it seems apparent that internally, Nintendo has moved on which would rule out their teams. Nintendo often uses external companies for porting but my main thing is, would these companies be better served porting games to the Switch instead since that is the console they are trying to push and focus on. Isn't it easier to port a Wii U game to Switch then 3DS? Wii ports make sense.

New games is even more problematic. We have Metroid and Pokemon. Nothing from Nintendo themselves.

But really who cares who makes them? My point is that there is a lot of money still to be made on 3DS with very little cost and effort in comparison to starting a brand new Switch game from scratch. Whether it's interns, new staff or established teams, I'm sure Nintendo won't let them out the door unless they are made to a certain standard.

No, you said "it's by a very large margin their worst selling handheld". The 3DS family can outsell GBA in the coming few years quite easily. That would be twice as long as GBA to hit those numbers but that wasn't your point now was it.

It wouldn't surprise me to see the 3DS family come closer to 100 million units by the time Nintendo stops production of it.

Nintendo can use the 3DS family as an entry point for young children and families to enter the Nintendo eco system by offering 2DS at $50 and 2DS XL at $100 both with a game in the coming years. Even if they don't make a profit on the hardware, they will make profit on software and hopefully create lifelong Nintendo fans who will go on to buy the Switch and whatever comes next.

I love my Switch but it doesn't come close to my 3DS in terms of being a portable for a number of reasons including portability, ease of use, software library, battery life and cost. This is one of the reasons Nintendo are keeping 3DS around, at least until they can create Switch in the sort of form factor 3DS currently is.

Ridley327

Honestly forgot about Wario but it's been awhile since he had a spin-off. What was it Game and Wario? Dramatic difference from the Gameboy through DS days where he was getting platformer spin-offs and minigames collections.

Yeah, Game and Wario is the most recent title in the series. Sakamoto's team has been pretty busy since then, what with Tomodachi Life, Miitomo, Rhythm Heaven and the upcoming Metroid: Samus Returns.

Megatron

How much could a new fzero game on 3ds really cost at this point? Just throw the fans a bone and port it to switch 6 months later.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
I get it. It's why they're still releasing games, but the idea that they should actively try to "breath life" into it, as opposed to preserving what life it has left is a nonsensical idea. Luckily it seems like Nintendo has realized this as there's been a clear transition in the resources and projects allocated to the 3DS vs the Switch

I don't think anyone in the thread is suggesting Nintendo make their big name future games for 3DS. People are merely pointing out that it would be stupid of Nintendo to act like the 3DS doesn't exist especially when it's very easy, quick and cheap to port older console games or remake older portable games for it to give the impression to prospective and existing customers that it's still a very vibrant platform with not only a huge library of games but also new releases coming all year long.

Nintendo have learned a valuable lesson here with DS to 3DS and Wii to Wii U. You don't just completely cut off those massive install bases without first creating a decent install base to move over too.

How much could a new fzero game on 3ds really cost at this point? Just throw the fans a bone and port it to switch 6 months later.

It's more an issue of development staff numbers. Nintendo have a tiny amount of them compared to other companies. More people are probably involved in creating the new Assassin's Creed than Nintendo have total development staff period.

I really wish Nintendo can moneyhat SE to do an enhance port of TWEWY for 3DS. :/

Realistic speaking, there's still no detective pikachu sequel.

I don't think anyone's nervous, the 3DS was never going to end its life in 2017. We always knew it would be supported at least through 2018.

But the fact that the Switch is getting a mainline Pokemon and that Nintendo's first party teams have ended all 3DS development should be a clear indicator that the Switch will be replacing it.

Switch getting a mainline Pokemon game and first party developers moving on to Switch means exactly that - they're moving on to Nintendo's next system as everyone expects. There's no talk of replacing 3ds or abandoning it. For some reason people think 3ds is eating its way into the Switch library when there's no indication that the systems share libraries or that any of the newly announced 3ds games could have been Switch games.

Also as far as I'm concerned, I've been told since 2015 that the 3ds would be already dead in 2016. Now every new game announcement for the 3ds comes with a few shitposts on the level of "3ds again? boo", "just kill the 3ds" and "this could've been on switch."

So yeah nervous is an understatement, 'visibly agitated' fits the bill more.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
������

Yeah, completely agreed. What I don't understand is why we couldn't have gotten Metroid as a "cross-gen" release for Switch too. Like, I get that they want to release games on a system with an install base more than 10x larger than Switch's, but why not release 'an on both, y'know. I'm sure it would take some effort, but surely it's worth the effort to release your new games on your new system!?. I just don't get Nintendo sometimes, man.

Who is to say they won't release an HD version of Samus Returns for Switch next year? I would say it's a virtual certainty.

Instro

Why bother though, you would be sending it to die. Anything like that would have a better shot of success on a new platform.

kunonabi

As far as Nintendo goes I'd really only like to see Famicom Detective Club, Mach Rider, and Tetrisphere.

Most everything else has already been covered or would be a better fit on the switch.

3DS would really benefit more from some collaborations with 3rd parties to get some games localized.

Advance is the obvious answer. That would be amazing, easy to make, and would perform wonderfully on the 3ds.

Love the idea of Captain Toad port, or whole new game, as it was my most played game on wiiu. Right now I'm really digging the Atlus 3ds remakes so maybe they could just polish a few ds games? Im sure some people won't like that though.

I am continually baffled at the 3DS fans that seem determined to spite Switch owners and seem to want it to fail in favor of their ailing system. The 3DS was bad hardware when it was released! Why wouldn't you want your games to be played on better hardware? Because honestly, it's library is what made the 3DS great in spite of itself.

Now, maybe you don't have a Switch. So then the games you want trapped on the 3DS will be waiting for you when you do get one. And if you're never going to buy a Switch, then really, why should Nintendo support you?

Really, the only thing the 3DS offers over the Switch, besides its library, is the 3D (barely relevant at best, and nonexistent for 2DS owners) and its dual screens. Now if Nintendo wants to create some interesting dual-screen usage games, then yes, the 3DS makes sense. Something like a Hotel Dusk or the original 999 (even though that has been ported to single screen systems) would absolutely sing on the 3DS and validate its existence.

Small ports done by smaller teams or outsourced teams could also be great. DKC or 3D World were mentioned. If it seems profitable, then sure, why not extract more money from the large base of 3DS owners?

But Nintendo really needs to focus on its future, which is the Switch. I'm not sure why they aren't doing cross-platform ports for upcoming games like SunMoon Ultra and Samus Returns. Maybe they don't have a good pipeline for doing so, which was definitely a mistake.

Top Bottom