• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Mercenary details from Polish magazine, showing back up next (this?) week

VXLbeast

"I thought this game looked awesome but now that I find it doesn't have one specific feature I wanted I'm out."

8 player online is perfectly fine and, with what we have seen of this game so far, probably won't be rushed or thrown together haphazardly. Especially with that release date. Bit long for my tastes. Let's hope they have something in between now and then.

EDIT: I have been crawling back to this thread a couple times a day to see if there is any news. I cannot wait for the full article.

Ran rp

Yep, September date is disappointing. They have been planning the game since January 2011 at the very least. I was expecting May/June.

Also 4vs4 again? Why do I feel like this is some kind of limitation coming from Sony? PSP games had bigger player count.

I wouldn't mind 4v4 if Killzone was a cover based third-person shooter like Gears of War, but this is Killzone. This is war, man!

Oh well, I'm sure the gameplay will be well adjusted to the smaller player count.

BibiMaghoo

If the maps are designed for 8 players then it should be fine. Why all the hate?

Have you played a Vita shooter with maps designed for 8 players?

I have. It's not fun. Here is a breakdown.

80% walking around empty places looking for an enemy.
10% shooting people
5% finding someone and it being a team mate
5% respawning

B.O.O.M

10% shooting people
5% respawning

Again that is because poorly designed maps right?

Carl

10% shooting people
5% respawning

One game =/= every game

10% shooting people
5% respawning

That doesn't sound like maps designed for 8 players

waypoetic

Banned
PSY・S;47092252 said:
Vita Party Chat is limited to 8 people, so maybe Sony or the developers want to make sure that all players could join a chat room. It's a poor excuse, IMO.

I've used that ONCE. I prefer using Skype

PSY・S;47092252 said:
Vita Party Chat is limited to 8 people, so maybe Sony or the developers want to make sure that all players could join a chat room. It's a poor excuse, IMO.

That would be some major BS. I doubt that's the reason (I hope not).

Alienous

It was the reason for Declassified.

I don't think so, bad development was the reason for Declassified.

Anyway, for COD to go from normal 12 to 8 isn't that big of a deal. For Killzone to go from 24 (or even 32 in Killzone 2) to 8 is comparatively more significant.

VXLbeast

PSY・S;47093074 said:
It works well, the only issue is that pausing an online game will kick you offline, so setting up a game and a party for everyone to join can become a mess.

Well, I guess I will get to see first hand when KZM comes out and some matches go down on Neogaf. I. Am. Ready.

Ran rp

I want to see new footage. I have my doubts that the game will be native res, and that it will run at an acceptable frame rate.

I have a feeling that it may not be native-res but close to it, like the MGSHD collection. I hope Cambridge was able to work some magic though and make it native-res.

KageMaru

This is one of the Vita games I'm keeping an eye on. This, PSO2, and hopefully a price drop is all I need to pick up a vita.

- Engine is nearly 1:1 from PS3 version

I know the game looks gorgeous, but this is bull. No way would a handheld game even come close to a console title in technology.

Duffyside

Banned
I would hope that the "9 missions" thing wouldn't mean "not a real campaign," but instead correlate to the fact that you're playing as a mercenary. The story could easily bounce around as your character is traveling all over, taking different jobs, and these 9 missions are just the ones that involve over-arcing story. It'd actually be a neat way to show "yo, you're a gun-for-hire on the road" while still having a connected narrative, presumably involving some main villain that you learn more about as the game progresses, who doesn't appear as such from the get-go.

Dantis

This is one of the Vita games I'm keeping an eye on. This, PSO2, and hopefully a price drop is all I need to pick up a vita.

I know the game looks gorgeous, but this is bull.

Yep. I said it would be, and those screens seem to prove it.

It looks like the best game on the Vita, but it's miles off Killzone 3.

While 8v8 would have been solid, I much enjoy smaller player games.

Team Tactical on COD4 was by far the most competitive fun I've had with that game.

I just hope the maps and modes are designed well enough for it. They should take advantage of special 4v4 features, like making squad leaders have a more vital role, and whatnot

test_account

XP-39C²
Can't they just make the graphics worse if it can have more players on multiplayer?
Yep, it is possible. There is a PSP game that has like 24 or 32 players online (some World War 2 shooter, i dont remember the title). 8 players is made by design choice.

EDIT: I found the game, it is Medal of Honor: Heroes 2. You can see it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-i0mBKHdoxg#t=316s

Some game rooms have upto 32 players. The graphics looks rough though, but it is possible to have many players in a multiplayer game for a handheld. Depends on how the game is designed.

Ran rp

Yep, it is possible. There is a PSP game that has like 24 or 32 players online (some World War 2 shooter, i dont remember the title). 8 players is made by design choice.

EDIT: I found the game, it is Medal of Honor: Heroes 2. You can see it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=-i0mBKHdoxg#t=316s

Some game rooms have upto 32 players. The graphics looks rough though, but it is possible to have many players in a multiplayer game for a handheld. Depends on how the game is designed.

If the 8 player limit was chosen to keep Killzone's visuals up to snuff then I'm totally okay with that.

Moosichu

I know the game looks gorgeous, but this is bull. No way would a handheld game even come close to a console title in technology.

Not really. The core engine can be nearly 1:1, but that doesn't stop there being compromises elsewhere (polygon counts for example).

SSReborn

8 players may be a a good thing that may mean that they are tailoring the game to be more tactical like Killzone 2 than twitch based.

Iacobellis

I've never had a problem with eight players on either Vita FPS. I'd rather have less players and better stability, and the options for more immersive environments.

Top Bottom