• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I really wish that their headband doesn't look like the handles on a piece of luggage and also aren't so comically huge, because otherwise I'm fine with their looks.

HiResDes

Yeah I don't know any other options for you if you're that worried about ergonomics, yet also supposedly have a pretty large head, and don't want on-ears...Maybe the new Momentum over-ears that's pretty much the other only thing that seems to meet your requirements.

Any GAFthletes use Meelectronics M6 Pros for listening to music while they work out? Any impressions? Any alternative suggestions for sports-oriented IEMs in the $50 range?

Any GAFthletes use Meelectronics M6 Pros for listening to music while they work out? Any impressions? Any alternative suggestions for sports-oriented IEMs in the $50 range?

I use those while running, and I have no complaints. Pair them with Comply tips for a more comfortable fit.

MoonGred

Does anyone have any experience with the Aedle vk-1, doesn't mattee if it's the carbon version or not.

I'm looking for a pair of closed back commuting headphones, that still look great and are somewhat portable.
My other choice would be b&w p5 or p7. But I'm open to suggestions.

HiResDes

HiResDes

Yea read that as well, the comfort issue would be my biggest concern.

Have you got any other recommendations Des?
I think the P7, Momentum 2.0 wired, Sony MDR-1RA, and master dynamic mh30 would also be great choices. The MH30 seems to be quite similar to what you want.

Eanan

Just picked up a pair for Sennheiser Urbanite XL's for €99. Really good sound and super comfortable. Bass is very good on them, but best of all, they are the best built headphones ive ever held hands down. That aluminium frame and steel hinges is glorious.

HiResDes

Got to try out LCD3. It sounded really good but not much better than my modded T50RP. Kind of a relief to know I don't have good ears so I can't justify spending more.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
My AKG 518LE are literally starting to fall apart, after 5 years. Shame.

So I'm thinking about replacing them. Budget is 70€, I'd hook them up to my receiver/amplifier, I listen to everything. I obviously want something better than wha I have now lol.

How are the Sehnnheiser HD 449? They're 60€ on amazon here.
Other suggestions?

HiResDes

My AKG 518LE are literally starting to fall apart, after 5 years. Shame.

So I'm thinking about replacing them. Budget is 70€, I'd hook them up to my receiver/amplifier, I listen to everything. I obviously want something better than wha I have now lol.

How are the Sehnnheiser HD 449? They're 60€ on amazon here.
Other suggestions?

Brainwavz HM5, Koss Pro DJ200, or Takstar Pro 80 would be my choices...All sound better than the HD 449 IMO. I don't like any of Sennheiser's offerings under the HD 515 too much.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Brainwavz HM5, Koss Pro DJ200, or Takstar Pro 80 would be my choices...All sound better than the HD 449 IMO. I don't like any of Sennheiser's offerings under the HD 515 too much.
Thanks you. Problem is that those are all priced at around 100€ here. -_-

Yeah I don't know any other options for you if you're that worried about ergonomics, yet also supposedly have a pretty large head, and don't want on-ears...Maybe the new Momentum over-ears that's pretty much the other only thing that seems to meet your requirements.

Well that and the pair of ATs I had already. Perhaps most of the AT line. I haven't tried the Momentums, but I can give those a shot too.

Antiwhippy

Not going to expect Sennheiser or Bose sound quality, but they should do fine for gym etc.

Nah, you can expect Bose sound quality if what you're expecting is mediocre sound for the price. :p

Their noise canceling technology is pretty amazing though. It works so well that I'm actually scared of using them while walking because I want some awareness of my surroundings.

Fox1304

Just picked up a pair for Sennheiser Urbanite XL's for €99. Really good sound and super comfortable. Bass is very good on them, but best of all, they are the best built headphones ive ever held hands down. That aluminium frame and steel hinges is glorious.

Nice ! here did you get that price ?

Eanan

Nice ! here did you get that price ?

Amazon DE warehouse. It was priced as "Acceptable condition" but is in very good condition. Just missing the bag (would never use it anyway) and the box is a bit damaged.

Loving these headphones. Great with the usual hip hop, drum and bass and techno I listen to.

MoonGred

I think the P7, Momentum 2.0 wired, Sony MDR-1RA, and master dynamic mh30 would also be great choices. The MH30 seems to be quite similar to what you want.

I looked into the MH30 and they do look exactly like something I want. Still can't make up my mind between a brand new MH30 for 450AUD or a factory refurbished P7 for 370AUD.

MoonGred

Am I right in thinking that factory refurb is basically new without brand new packaging? Or could there be use marks on the headphones as well?

Hip Hop

Why do my ATH-50's have no bass at all on my PC,

but when I use my MP3 from 6 years ago, it sounds amazingly better?

terrible

Banned

That can happen if it's not plugged in completely. Is there anything preventing the plug from going in all the way on your computer? It's probably not that but you never know.

HiResDes

The M50 while having a decent mid bass quantity is overhyped in its ability to deliver impact especially in the sub bass region. I would also check out if you're PC has a decent soundcard or not. It can make quite a bit of difference.

Antiwhippy

The momentums are an interesting one for me. I guess I've mostly been used to pretty aggressive signatures because I feel like I've never heard a headphone where the highs are so restrained. Not veiled or undetailed or anything, just restrained.

I think I like a more aggressive signature. Justice's Cross for example I feel needs a bit more energy in the highs. I like this sound though, and now I can see why people say Senn's house sound (other than the HD25 which are incredibly aggressive) are very non-fatiguing to listen to.

What's the verdict so far on Bluetooth headphones?

Over on Gaming, seems Denon is doing a collab for the P4 Dancing All Night game (thread here) and it's got me somewhat interested in getting a pair of some form of Bluetooth headphones in the near future. When working out, I use a pair of sol republic relays, which have been pretty good so far but wouldn't mind cordless tbh.

Got to try out LCD3. It sounded really good but not much better than my modded T50RP. Kind of a relief to know I don't have good ears so I can't justify spending more.
Other than the Stax or the abyss I think they are the best headphones in the world if you got the fasers. What was your source?

JoeMartin

3 years and 11 months into owning my LCD-2s and the left driver unit seems to have failed. I have no idea what's happened but the left channel has completely ceased to work with any source or cable combo where other pairs work just fine. Cable continuity seems in place, internal wiring seems good, all the solder joints look okay - the driver simply produces no sound. It's rather unfortunate.

It's well beyond warranty at this point but Audez'e has offered to replace the pair for $400 which I'm definitely taking them up on.

Other than the Stax or the abyss I think they are the best headphones in the world if you got the fasers. What was your source?

Not familiar with the brand but it looked like a very expensive amp and dac and streaming lossless from Tidal. It was at a high end speaker and headphone store in SF.

M.D

Anyone has any experience with the Roccat Kave? My uncle gave them to my, he bought them years ago and barely ever used them

I've used the SteelSeries Siberia v2 Frost Blue for a couple of years and they are excellent for my uses (games & music), but I wonder if its worth switching to the Roccat ones

nick nacc

Banned
I am gun shy on pulling the trigger on the 950bt by sony I just think they are so sexy.

bb4becc46b52f6bef9d2cf4ffcd6d0bc

I can get them refurb for like $90. Can someone either talk me into getting them or discourage me? Is there a comparably priced Bluetooth headset that looks as good and minimal? (wirless is a must) I am not working out in these.

Karish

I am gun shy on pulling the trigger on the 950bt by sony I just think they are so sexy.

bb4becc46b52f6bef9d2cf4ffcd6d0bc

I can get them refurb for like $90. Can someone either talk me into getting them or discourage me? Is there a comparably priced Bluetooth headset that looks as good and minimal? (wirless is a must) I am not working out in these.

Have them. Love them. Went through about 9 pairs of BT before finally finding these. Buy!

nick nacc

Banned
Have them. Love them. Went through about 9 pairs of BT before finally finding these. Buy!

AWWWWW YEAHH im doing it!

Have we discussed the bullshit of international versions (impossible to find) come in the unique cool colors... So lame.

you buy new or refurb? How much did you spend? I want to get it for under 100

Karish

OK guys. Ready to upgrade from my Monoprice 8323. Use mostly for gaming. Currently have HM5 Velour Pads and vmoda boom pro mic attached and would like to utilize those with whatever's new. Could be convinced to ditch them for the right new pair. Live with my fiance so probably need closed but open to semi open or open if they don't leak too much.

Budget ~$100 or less

Karish

AWWWWW YEAHH im doing it!

Have we discussed the bullshit of international versions (impossible to find) come in the unique cool colors... So lame.

you buy new or refurb? How much did you spend? I want to get it for under 100

New on black Friday for 99. They're great dude.

I have a pair of ATH-AD700's and they are about 5 years old now. They are pretty grimy now and I am looking for an upgrade. I want something that is not opened back, I don't like how much the sound bleeds. What should I get?

Top Bottom