• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam axes submission process, ALL new pubs/devs must go through Steam Greenlight.

Revelations 2012 uses the Source Engine.

I know and I don't like either one of those possibilities. Whether they got in because they used Source or because they had someone on the inside, it sucks, plain and simple.

Greenlight is probably Valve's solution to that issue, an 'objective' way of filtering games. It's still not enough and they know it. Although it's far less likely for a bad game to make it through Greenlight (and in that case Greenlight works as intended), good games are still falling through the cracks because their creators don't have the means to market their games. This needs to be fixed.

I've ended up enjoying a lot of games that I knew nothing about prior to their release, either on Steam or in an indie bundle. I played Binding of Isaac to death and I would have never known it existed if I hadn't seen it on a Steam sale. This is what Valve needs to work on, bringing good games to the attention of their audience.

allansm

I don't even understand why they are greenlighting at such a slow pace if they are doing so for Alpha and Beta versions of games.

What annoys me the most is that most of the games being greenlighted are still far from release or free mods. Why not make games ready to release a priority? It's not like all the votes those games far from being released will disappear with the passing of time. They could even greenlight 20 games: 10 already released non-free games and 10 alpha-beta games and mods.

Uthred

as for your other points: I never went "full denial" and I responded accordingly. And I did check my facts before saying you are factually wrong and guess what: you are factually wrong. Even though all your other arguments are still completely valid as to how PC games became more important again; Steam is still very much the main reason. Not even hyperboling here, without Steam PC development wouldnt be where it is today. You can shoot down my arguments all you want but this is still simply the truth. Everyone wants to get it on it thus encouraging developers to look at the platform. Games werent selling, Retail was dead. Steam changed this.

If it wasnt too much trouble I'd love to see those facts

Sibylus

Banned
While I can see conceptually why this was done (to obviate Valve's blindspots and internal inefficiencies), I don't think this really empowers Greenlight more than it already was with regard to small indie developers and the like. Nothing has really changed for the big guys, but it's the small studios that need a lot more help from Greenlight in the future. Still on balance things are improving, but in typical Steam fashion it's more than a little undercooked at the moment.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I know and I don't like either one of those possibilities. Whether they got in because they used Source or because they had someone on the inside, it sucks, plain and simple.

What I mean is that's all but assured to be the case. There's nothing on the Source website or in the product brochure that states as much outright, but there's the simple fact that Source is, in some ways, directly intertwined with Steam, and it really wouldn't make any sense for Valve to deny a Source licensee a Steam release when the platform is an integral component of the engine itself.

What I mean is that's all but assured to be the case.

True. I'm curious as to how Valve is planning to handle this issue with Source 2 which is supposed to be getting a radical overhaul in the usability department, probably in order to entice third-party use. Will they allow any Source 2 game on Steam, regardless of quality? Will they decouple Source 2 from Steamworks? Neither of those seems likely, so who knows.

In any case, occasionaly allowing a bad game to slip through and be sold through Steam is not such a big deal in my opinion, as noone will buy it. It's the problem of genuinely good games staying out that still concerns me. Talented indie developers should get their chance in the spotlight.

Salsa

If it wasnt too much trouble I'd love to see those facts

I wouldnt know how to look for the numbers, but i'll give you an example:

the indie market, or rather the $5-$15 market of games

before Steam, were these range of games even marketeable (at least to the point to wich they are now) on the PC platform?

and the fact that PC retail was completely dead is as easy to prove as walking into a game store, back then or now

Wiktor

I wouldnt know how to look for the numbers, but i'll give you an example:

the indie market, or rather the $5-$15 market of games

before Steam, were these range of games even marketeable (at least to the point to wich they are now) on the PC platform?

and the fact that PC retail was completely dead is as easy to prove as walking into a game store, back then or now

Retail might be dead in US, but it's alive everywhere else. Steam helped PC gaming immensely, but it's still only a small portion of all standalone games sells and a petite niche of the whole pc market (when counting other business models)

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So, basically, all new games ( indie, big titles, etc.etc.) from now on will have to go through Greenlight, or just the new games from who's approaching Steam for the first time?

Blizzard

Banned
So, basically, all new games ( indie, big titles, etc.etc.) from now on will have to go through Greenlight, or just the new games from who's approaching Steam for the first time?
In theory just companies that don't already have games on Steam, though there may be exceptions and we don't really know (I think).

My guess is that "new to Steam" might have the meaning of "unproven". So maybe the term extends to developers who've published a small amount of (maybe commercially unsuccessful?) games on the platform. They really should be more transparent about this.

Top Bottom