• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Simpsons Tapped Out |OT| Push Notification

krae_man

8YluXwZ.jpg

There seem to be tons of of gaffers playing the game but no official thread. So I figured I'd create one so we can exchange friend requests, playing tips, whine about constant crash screens etc

CHRbWmp.jpg

Q) What is Simpsons Tapped Out?
A) It's a Free to Play mobile game available on iOS and Android

Q)Plot?
A) Basically, Homer wasn't paying attention at work(he was too busy playing the happy little elves mobile game) and the power plant blew up. Now your job is to clean up and rebuild Springfield.

Q)How do I do that?
A) You start with Homer and nothing else, slowly you unlock characters and buildings. Characters can perform jobs to earn money and XP, Buildings generate money and xp every X period of time(different for every building).

Q)Any voice/video?
A) Yes, many of the characters are voiced by the voice artists and the game does have some short videos made specifically for the game

Q)It's free to play, what costs real money?
A)The premium currency in the game is doughnuts. You can buy them in bundles that range from $2 to $100. The more you buy at once, the better $ to Doughnut ratio you get

Q) What do I spend these doughnuts on?
A) several things
-You can use them to speed up tasks
-You can buy decorative items
-You can buy Mystery Boxes or Homer Buddas(Basically a lottery, you could get something awesome worth well more then what the budda or mystery box cost, or you could get crap)
-You can buy some new characters or buildings(Duff Brewery? That costs doughnuts, Aztec Theatre? That costs doughnuts, Mount Carlmore? Oh you better believe that costs doughnuts)

Q)How often is it updated?
A) All the time. The level cap has been increased several times, There have been two major expansions(Squidport and Krustyland), and there are holiday themed events throughout the year. The Halloween event is taking place currently.

Q)Why play?
A)Because you're a Simpsons fan and it's mindless fun

krae_man

I'll update this post with some tips and more info on building types and stuff later.

Q) Everything is so Expensive, how can I buy it without spending real money?
A) The easiest way is house farming. House farming is the act of building a crap load of the same house in order to collect the income and XP from them

Q)If I want to house farm, what are the best choices?
A)Your best choices are either Brown, Blue or White depending on your particular situation. Read below for the pros and cons of each

Brown house: Generates $6 and 1xp every 5 minutes although that will be bumped up to $7 and 2xp once you upgrade your conformity bonus even slightly. Costs $355
Pros: Cheap to build, fastest money generation therefore generates the most money, once you upgrade to earning 2xp per tap, you can level up quickly especially early on.
Cons: need to tap every 5 minutes.

A Brown house farm is a nice thing to have especially earlier on. Just tap away while you are watching TV or something.

Blue House: Generates $150 and 13xp every 8 hours, Costs $1800
Pros: Fits nicely on squares(2 across, 4 down exactly fills up a square), nice trade off between money generation vs amount of tapping needed, makes back the initial cost in 4 days
Cons: Buildings are large and take up space, it's easy to miss your mid afternoon tap and you'll lose 1 tap for the day

White House: Generates $200 and 20xp every 12 hours, Costs $7700
Pros: Only need to tap twice per day, Small building, has the best money generated per square inch of space taken up ratio
Cons: most expensive building. Takes 19 days to earn back initial cost

Personally, I think the Blue house is the best. You get a return on your initial investment quicker and 8 hours is not a burden time wise. Normally, you'll just tap once when you wake up, once mid day, and again right before you go to bed. Works good if you're sending all your characters on 8 hour tasks as well.

I have a blue house farm that spans two square wide and runs the entire length of the map and it makes about $105k per day. Initially, I had a much smaller farm of around 56 houses and it made $25k/day early on which was very helpful.

Some people say "farming takes away the fun" and "makes your town look like crap" but to each his own. Do what you want. You can always get rid of it later and make a nice town after you've made $3,000,000 for the Giant Magnifying glass.

Free 10 doughnuts?: Make Homer play with his MyPad and while he is playing it, tap him repeatedly. You will get 10 doughnuts. Sorry, only works once

Update: GAF Origin names! Add a fellow gaffer and tap on their stuffs!

apreckless515
bruisedbanana
CostcoLawGrad
Demonxeno
EntropiaWoW
gooooooomba
HigXx
LamonsterZone
Leonsito
MightyFlub
paradox1321
QuigleyMcShine
rataplein315
Sarainha
scottnak
SerebiiJoe
ShirouAmakusa
snowhawk
Spiderduff
tccolb
Vargas52
vinceswall87
vmadore
willconquer93
XiaNaphryz
eliza0224
Katgirl_aireen
SpidertheMad
Undoingduck
Kobolt_Mustard
wiprunner75
krae_man965
demolitio
alexand72
s29j85
AleeN634
Vyerx
BodySystemLars
uhhhkris
ShirouAmakusa
BatDanKnight
Hoagmaster23
gaTrebU
afs25
Flipadelfia
grinderius
Wagg1
IIDeathCubeKII
[/QUOTE]

SmokyDave

Good idea, man. I've put a silly amount of time into my virtual Springfield and now I have somewhere to confess that fact.

(No farming either, I don't get down like that).

-Horizon-

I am definitely tapped out, but still playing lol. Got all the Halloween stuff.
Sad I missed out on a few prizes from last years Halloween and the Snake Whacking thing this year.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
This game is fun at first, but after a while there is just way too much to tap and it starts feeling like a chore.

We're talking 20+ minutes daily of nothing but mashing the screen because there are so many buildings and jobs to collect on.

Edit: Yes, it's EA. it uses an Origin login.

Atlantic

I've been playing this for quite a while now. I don't think I would have lasted through the initial run if it didn't have the Simpson's coat of paint.

It started out as a 2 or 3 minute escape and now taking care of the whole shebang can take up to 15 or 20. I should check on 'em now actually.

Also, I can't wait for the halloween event to end. Performance really took a hit.

krae_man

it was kinda neat for a bit, but after my town was deleted 3 times, i quit.

How? I thought the town gets uploaded to Origin and saved in the cloud?

This game is fun at first, but after a while there is just way too much to tap and it starts feeling like a chore.

We're talking 20+ minutes daily of nothing but mashing the screen because there are so many buildings and jobs to collect on.

They need a "Money bomb" that works like the ghost bomb.

kilongs

One of my main problems with the game is that the premium currency (doughnuts) are harder to get without spending real money.

Happy Street provides a much better system of providing multiple ways to collect its premium currency (Flooz).

I've been playing everyday for about a year and half now. My town is huge and neatly organized. No shame.

But I do have shame for spending about $60 on IAPs in that period...

HigXx

Thank you for finally creating this thread! Been playing since February and haven't really stopped!

Add me if you want: HigXx

Leonsito

Nice!

I'm on level 36 and with exp for another two more, update dammit!

But I fear I might not get to the last Halloween reward :(

If anyone wants to add me: Leonsito

Skyzard

Banned

I played the first one and that's basically what it was like for me too. Worse than Tiny Tower in that aspect (feeling like a chore). Comedy was surprisingly decent though.

I really miss the Simpsons but in a fully fledged video game.

jred2k

I've played this game in spurts. I'll get really in to it for a few weeks and then I never want to even look at it for like 6 months. I thought about getting back in to it for the Halloween event, but I just couldn't bring myself to download it again. My biggest gripe with the game is that its so hard to design a town to look nice. I find you can't zoom out far enough to position the big things easily and the small stuff like benches and lampposts are incredibly finicky as well.

I am in awe of just how much money this game generates. If it was available in a non-mobile form I'd probably still be really in to it.

mackattk

I am in awe of just how much money this game generates. If it was available in a non-mobile form I'd probably still be really in to it.

I would love to see how much money this game makes (along with Candy Crush) each month. It is always in the top slots for top grossing games.

I played this game for about a month when it came out, but haven't touched it since then.

jred2k

I would love to see how much money this game makes (along with Candy Crush) each month. It is always in the top slots for top grossing games.

I played this game for about a month when it came out, but haven't touched it since then.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=706287

The Simpsons™: Tapped Out eclipsed $100 million* in life-to-date digital net revenue, and has been in the top 20 iPhone grossing games in the U.S. for all but 12 days, since launching in August 2012.

I'd be willing to bet that those 12 days it wasn't in the top were probably days around when it launched when they were having really bad connection issues.

Cyport

Got to Level 20 I think till my town got deleted, thankfully never brought doughnuts but Origin sucks with this. My friends also randomly had their town deleted

Fixed1979

I think I'm somewhere around lvl 31 or 32 in this, haven't spent a cent and really don't plan on it. It got a little tedious when I had so many characters and then I gave up for awhile when Krusty Land got added. I usually jump on once a day now though, playing on a Nexus 10.

I'll add my origin ID once I can confirm what it is...

I downloaded this ready to ridicule its horrible F2P shenanigans and soulless use of the Simpsons brand.

That was, like, a year ago. I have a problem.

Though, both testament to my resilience and the game's morality I've yet to spend a penny and my towns pretty huge. Terrified to know just how much time I've sunk into the damn thing though.

Carl

I downloaded this a while ago, played it for 10 mins got bored and deleted it.

Should I give it another go?

krae_man

How frequently is everyone sending their characters out on tasks?

When I first started, I was doing hourly, but then I switched to 4 hours when my character count got too big. Now I have around 50 characters and I decided to move to 24 hour tasks.

How frequently is everyone sending their characters out on tasks?

When I first started, I was doing hourly, but then I switched to 4 hours when my character count got too big. Now I have around 50 characters and I decided to move to 24 hour tasks.

24 all the time

epmode

I've reread the first two posts a few times and I'm having trouble understanding why anyone on GAF would want to play this game. It sounds like everything wrong with modern mobile games.

Kabuto

I was wondering if anyone on GAF played this. The Halloween update is great after I added a ton of people on the official Tapped Out forums, but if you don't have a lot of people coming to your town, it isn't that great.

If anyone wants to add me: Donaldduck287

add me = bruisedbanana

For a long assed time I played this game on a 3rd gen ipad and as the game got bigger and bigger performance really dragged.

Got an iPhone 5s a few weeks ago and am pleased to see that this phone handles the game with ease. Miss the big screen though.

Pepto

Banned
I have been playing the game for a few months now and I still like it.

I still have tons of things to build and I'm currently grinding the 10000 goo for that last Halloween reward.

My tag is massproduction if you would like to add me.

I like the idea of building your own little Springfield, but it sounds like it quickly shows itself to be a total (Principal) Skinner box.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Feel free to add me, my Origin ID is: XiaNaphryz

I've reread the first two posts a few times and I'm having trouble understanding why anyone on GAF would want to play this game. It sounds like everything wrong with modern mobile games.

Simpsons nostalgia more than anything plus the building out the town bit, and you can play fine without purchasing anything if you don't mind waiting. For games like this, you can do what you need to do once per day and be done with it. So it's fine in those 5-15 minute chunks.

tensuke

Downloading it now, don't know Origin ID but I'm guessing that's the only way we can add friends?

Edit: okay, origin is Zalyster.

Top Bottom