• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dispute over whether DotA2 has passed LoL in the west; LoL 500k concurrent US+EU

Gowans

Dota 2 passes League of Legends as most played PC game in the West

DFC says usage of both titles far surpasses World of Warcraft

In the first quarter of 2013, Valve Software's Dota 2 passed Riot Games' League of Legends as the most played "core" PC title, according to a report from DFC Intelligence. The report covers PC gaming in North America and Europe based on the DFC Intelligence PC Game Meter service, which combines data from multiple sources, including real-time stats from Xfire's 23 million users. Usage of League of Legends and Dota 2 far surpassed that of the next title in line, Blizzard Entertainment's World of Warcraft. The popularity of both titles shows the continuing strength of the free-to-play MOBA genre.

"Usage of League of Legends has been steady the past year and surprisingly the huge success of Dota 2 did not seem to cut into its popularity as much as would be expected," said DFC analyst Jeremy Miller.

For the quarter, combined usage of the top 20 PC games was up 22 percent compared to the first quarter of 2012, and up 8 percent compared to the fourth quarter of 2012.

"The past year has seen numerous blockbuster PC games that have really helped drive usage. This includes among others Diablo III, Guild Wars 2, Battlefield 3, Minecraft, World of Tanks and Valve's Counter-Strike series," added DFC analyst David Cole.

The PC Game Meter service does not measure usage of casual or browser-based titles.

Source: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-04-10-dota-2-passes-league-of-legends-as-most-played-pc-game

UPDATE:

Updated: LoL’s Still The Biggest MOBA In Town

Update: Riot have poured cold water on DFC’s somewhat dubious report, asserting that they see over 500,000 concurrent LoL players in the US and Europe alone (as opposed to Dota 2′s 300,000 odd globally). Riot tell me that DFC “is in the process of pulling their press release promoting this report.” So LoL very much remains king of MOBA castle, whichever angle you look at it from.

An invite-only sequel to a free Warcraft mod is how the West was won. That’s the claim, anyway, but so long as Valve keeps its internal figures locked up there’s no entirely reliable way of knowing exactly who’s playing what in PC-land. League of Legends has, of late, been hailed the most-played PC game in the the Western World, but the DFC Intelligence PC Game Meter (via GamesIndustry) has used assorted surveys (primarily of Xfire’s apparent 23m users) and magick to determine that Valve’s Dota 2 has now overtaken it. A victory for Valve – except LoL is actually far, far bigger than that.

Today’s report doesn’t seem to gel with LoL dev Riot’s recent claim to have over 5m concurrent players globally, as opposed to what Steam’s own graphs suggest (and recently averaged by a Reddit user) is a peak of 300,000 for Dota 2.

The discrepancy is because both of those are global figures – LoL appears to have much more take-up in the East than Dota 2 does. If DFC’s estimates are correct however, Dota 2 is now top dog in this side of the planet. Which is impressive for a game that’s technically still in beta (or at least ‘early access), but ultimately pales into something like insignificance compared to LoL’s global standing. The Riot MOBA’s concurrent user count even outdoes the total Steam concurrent usercount (which hovers around 4.9m) by a nose. I’m a bit scared.

DFC also say that both Dota 2 and LoL are now way ahead of one-time king of PC, World of Warcraft. Bring on Blizzard All-Stars, I guess, and we’ll see which way this particular cookie will crumble next.

Source: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/04/10/anything-you-can-do-dota-2-lol-are-both-the-biggest/

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
No it hasn't. The numbers just plain don't add up. LoL has 5 million PCU worldwide and Dota has 300k PCU, and I highly doubt the east makes up 94% of LoL's playerbase.

Also that report cites Xfire, lol.

Forkball

GabeNewell.jpg

"Oh, you wanted something else?"

Holden

No it hasn't. The numbers just plain don't add up. LoL has 5 million PCU worldwide and Dota has 300k PCU, and I highly doubt the east makes up 94% of LoL's playerbase.

as much as i love dota, this is true...

But i think it will surpass it easy once its out in china t.t

Detox

I doubt it their sources aren't really disclosed. They can easily tally the dota users with steam stats but what are they using for LoL? Xfire? That isn't going to be an accurate representation of their users.

Sophia

Yeah my bullshit detector went off while reading the OP. Didn't LoL exceed like 1.5 million players daily?

I should try a MOBA one day. Honestly, the community scares me.

The best way to learn is to get a team of like-minded people and go at it. Perhaps ask around on the community side.

Gowans

I'm highly sceptical of this claim.

Yeah it's a stretch gamesindustry.biz are normally pretty solid but I can't see how the numbers would stretch yet, momentum wise Dota 2 has it tho, but if you just look at the streaming views on Twitch LoL is still on top.

danmaku

I should try a MOBA one day. Honestly, the community scares me.

It's not as bad as people say, if you played an online FPS before you have a good idea of the kind of assholes you can meet. The big difference is that games are longer so if you find idiots you can mute them but you still have to play with them for 30-40 minutes. In an FPS you usually just disconnect and change server.

Darryl

Banned
i'm highly skeptical of this. i'll believe it after the official release.

The best way to learn is to get a team of like-minded people and go at it. Perhaps ask around on the community side.

should really just jump head-first into the game and learn the rules yourself first because it's a bitch to teach players all of the basic stuff like laning and last-hitting. it's not common sense stuff.

Unless the #'s are just insane in China/Korea/SEA, the 5m concurrent for LoL vs the 350k or so concurrent for DotA makes me think this is unlikely.

Fivefold

Banned
This was just a matter of time.

Riot's stats are from the same source btw, so if this is BS so are their claims of a billion accounts.

Raxus

Maybe this because they give the game out like candy. After all I only have 20 billion copies to give away in my inventory.

Edit: Darn it Rex!

marrec

Banned
Hrm, maybe they're measuring total hours in DOTA and LoL?

I could see DOTA clocking in say, 8 hours per player per week while LoL may clock less.

Of course, they didn't really elaborate in the article... and LoL is obviously still bigger.

Fivefold

Banned
Not buying it for a second.

Maybe there are some measures along which Dota 2 > League, like hours played per week per registered account. But when it comes to total concurrent players, or total hours played, League > Dota 2.

Couple of weeks ago, League had 5 million concurrent players, whereas Dota 2's record of concurrent players in-game is 500k, if I recall correctly.

So that's a factor of 10.

marrec

Banned
Not buying it for a second.

Maybe there are some measures along which Dota 2 > League, like hours played per week per registered account. But when it comes to total concurrent players, or total hours played, League > Dota 2.

Couple of weeks ago, League had 5 million concurrent players, whereas Dota 2's record of concurrent players in-game is 500k, if I recall correctly.

So that's a factor of 10.

That's where I'm thinking they came up with this metric.

Top Bottom