• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star vs. the Forces of Evil |OT| I'm From Another Dimension

sinxtanx

so I randomly saw the sleepover episode with friends last thursday and now I've seen every episode

this is my kind of hyperactive

so I randomly saw the sleepover episode with friends last thursday and now I've seen every episode

this is my kind of hyperactive
Did you watch Running with Scissors? One of my personal favorite episodes.

Also, with lekmet definitely dead, who will replace him as the head of the magical council?
I vote H-poo!

sinxtanx

well I watched every episode so yeah

Marco got the mark of Hekapoo

speaking of Marco's girlfriends, I wonder what Jackie was doing while he ran off for weeks to another dimension seemingly without telling anyone

well I watched every episode so yeah

Marco got the mark of Hekapoo

speaking of Marco's girlfriends, I wonder what Jackie was doing while he ran off for weeks to another dimension seemingly without telling anyone

Lol, Marco didn't even tell his parents. He went to Mewni expecting to just give Star some food, I don't he was prepared for an extended stay.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Finished the latest episodes. It kind of bothers me that Star really didn't mature at all. I thought that's what they were leading up to with her trip with her mom. The solution to what was happening was a literal deus ex machina.

On the subject of Hekapoo, it's kind of annoying that Marco doesn't appear to be acting any different after that episode. I thought they were waiting for an action heavy story, but we got one, and nothing.

Opto

Banned
So to recap Toffee's plan up until this point:

stuff.

Let me know if I missed something.

Toffee's whole plan was pretty much out of pettiness. Losing his finger took away his status. Destroying the magical source of Mewni, killing Moon's daughter, and getting his finger back was all he needed to be satisfied. What he was going to do afterwards is anyone's guess.

Bonus art from a storyboard artist on tumbler
tumblr_ot66r7Xjca1r29wy9o1_500.jpg
tumblr_ot66r7Xjca1r29wy9o5_250.png
tumblr_ot66r7Xjca1r29wy9o6_250.png
http://hug-bees.tumblr.com/

zulux21

Toffee's whole plan was pretty much out of pettiness. Losing his finger took away his status. Destroying the magical source of Mewni, killing Moon's daughter, and getting his finger back was all he needed to be satisfied. What he was going to do afterwards is anyone's guess.

eh.

I am calling he is longer lived than humans and is actually a faithful servant of the evil queen.

in fact the whole mewnie and monster eat each other thing was created in order to start a rift to eventually allow toffee to get to the point to drive a future queen to the point of requesting the evil queen's help.

given the evil queen's list of spells, I imagine that soon after she revives she will somehow resurrect toffee.

that is my guess at least :p

Psxphile

Damn, should've expected Hug-Bees would have been sharing some neat behind-the-scens info.

I know this is probably a dumb question but was Star dead with Glossaryck? it seemed like he took her from the goopy water but there wasn't any surrounding them :0! Did she really drown and just ended up wherever Glossaryck was?
- Anonymous

I believe the BG art for that scene was labeled “Purgatory” so take from that what you will.
Is Star the Mew-siah?

Psxphile

Toffee...just wanted his finger back? And holy shit at him melting.

Because of Moon's magic he lost face in front of his army. To a classy guy like Toffee, losing the respect of those you deem beneath you is worse than 10,000 deaths. And befittingly, rather than go on a berserker rampage he decided to bide his time and plan for the future. He literally waited years until the magic wand was passed down from Moon to her heir before enacting his revenge: to corrupt the magical forces that fed that wand and end the Butterfly threat to the monster race forever more. To learn about how it works, and how to stop it from working for good. It wasn't enough for Toffee to just go and kill Moon. No, he had to break her. To steal her child away and leave her defeated and in complete anguish. It's what she deserved.

And also to get his finger back.
Dude's a sociopath.

Pretty sure he just wanted his finger back because that was how he was going to revive himself. He needed a piece or a seed of himself in order to grow his whole body back.

PSqueak

Banned
Damn, should've expected Hug-Bees would have been sharing some neat behind-the-scens info.

Is Star the Mew-siah?

Eh, i still don't think she was "dead", and neither is glossarick, isn't he pretty much the most powerful entity in the multiverse? Prolly was just a pocket dimension and they called it purgatory as an allegory.

Would be easier to digest than Star coming back to life for no reason.

Because of Moon's magic he lost face in front of his army. To a classy guy like Toffee, losing the respect of those you deem beneath you is worse than 10,000 deaths. And befittingly, rather than go on a berserker rampage he decided to bide his time and plan for the future. He literally waited years until the magic wand was passed down from Moon to her heir before enacting his revenge: to corrupt the magical forces that fed that wand and end the Butterfly threat to the monster race forever more. To learn about how it works, and how to stop it from working for good. It wasn't enough for Toffee to just go and kill Moon. No, he had to break her. To steal her child away and leave her defeated and in complete anguish. It's what she deserved.

And also to get his finger back.
Dude's a sociopath.

So Dexter if he didn't give a shit then :p

Disney XD youtube just uploaded a clip from a future Season 3 episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80czcfCpq9Y
EDIT: Mirror Link

might be a flashback

EDIT: new outfit for Star?
EDIT: higher res

And here i was gonna if she was going back to earth but it seems like that's a no
unless its an actual flashback

As for the video
i say flashback but hey

Ruflux

Neo Member
Hey, I'm just amazed I somehow managed to type in strangely twice without realizing it and not have the sentence completely fall apart as a result

I blame Satan.

Psxphile

Don't really like to bump threads without something significant to add but I thought this was interesting:

Looks like that guidebook did well enough to inspire a new "Stump Day" edition w/ a new cover. The contents will probably be mostly the same though I'm wondering what's going on with that pink hoodie (or costume?) Star's wearing there. And is that a birthday cake in the background? Relevant, since during one of the livechats Star's birthday was claimed to be on Stump Day which I guess is a Mewnian holiday?

Anyway, this new edition is said to be available on September 15th and exclusively on Barnes&Noble.com from what I'm seeing.

... wait, is *that* Stump Day???

EDIT: they added something new to the description

This special edition includes a 16-page ”Stump Day" mini-book, which once belonged to Star Butterfly and is filled with all-new art, song lyrics, and fun comments from a younger Star. Plus brand-new cover art!

Don't really like to bump threads without something significant to add but I thought this was interesting:

Looks like that guidebook did well enough to inspire a new "Stump Day" edition w/ a new cover. The contents will probably be mostly the same though I'm wondering what's going on with that pink hoodie (or costume?) Star's wearing there. And is that a birthday cake in the background? Relevant, since during one of the livechats Star's birthday was claimed to be on Stump Day which I guess is a Mewnian holiday?

Anyway, this new edition is said to be available on September 15th and exclusively on Barnes&Noble.com from what I'm seeing.

... wait, is *that* Stump Day???

I have to buy this version as well don't i?

Astral Dog

Just saw the last episodes í found the show charming specially Toffee he is so fancy shame he didn't appear more in the finale, that battle for meowni felt more like unconnected episodes than a real epic movie i think it could have been better.

Psxphile

Just saw the last episodes í found the show charming specially Toffee he is so fancy shame he didn't appear more in the finale, that battle for meowni felt more like unconnected episodes than a real epic movie i think it could have been better.

Well, they are unconnected episodes. Well, not unconnected since they're part of an overall story arc. Disney XD just spliced them together for the event and to them "movie" sounds better than "marathon of 7 or 8 episodes back-to-back".

Binged watched the entire show over the past week due to hearing hype. It was pretty good, but not amazing. I really liked the season 2 finale, the fight between moon and toffee was really cool and the drama with star and marco was handled well. Thats the type of stuff I was assuming the show was getting hype for.

Sadly there wasn't really a lot more of that after. I was hyped for the battle of mewni but left disappointed, it was dragged out too long with meandering episodes that just felt like delaying the final conflict and just quickly ended with a deus ex machinima from star. Didnt have the emotional heaviness I was expecting. I was hoping she'd have to solve the problem with some character development through a more interesting conflict, but it was just super magic stuff. Kinda loses the impact from any future threat when you know she can just go super saiyan and win. Not really interested in Eclipsa as a threat now.

Also, toffee's whole plan felt a little nonsensical, it reminded me of Zemo from Civil War, he seems like a genius smart villain when you look at him at the surface but when you think about his plan it relies on a bunch of wild assumptions like star finding his finger in the wand and releasing it, or Ludo finding the second half of the wand in the first place. If star had sent him anywhere else Toffee would have been screwed since the wand would just be sitting in the forest for who knows how long.

I did like the backstory with moon and eclispa though, that stuff was cool.

Still, the show had some good moments and I'll keep watching it in hopes we get more badass stuff like in the season 2 finale.

Also I fucking love this outro. Wish it was longer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFMM1jqtcBk

Johndoey

Banned
I was introduced to the shipping community before the show proper which was odd, but heck I can't complaint it's been a fun watch.

Malyse

Well there was that browser game...

This isn't Kingdom Hearts. Browser games don't count.

Seriously though, Steven Universe has the Light series, Gravity Falls had a (terrible) 3DS game, and Adventure Time is up to what? seven games now?

Tizoc

Just finished Season 3 and uh...
That was very fast.
What was Toffee's plan again? OK so he initially planned on destroying the Wand or Possessing it, and then he managed to find a way to be brought back to life and be whole and invincible.
What then? Was he going to do another war against the Mewnis?

PSqueak

Banned
Just finished Season 3 and uh...
That was very fast.
What was Toffee's plan again? OK so he initially planned on destroying the Wand or Possessing it, and then he managed to find a way to be brought back to life and be whole and invincible.
What then? Was he going to do another war against the Mewnis?

It's actually hinted through the 3 seasons

Historically, there is the fact that monsters were subjugated by the mewmans because magic gave them an advantage to slaughter them (as seen in the thanks giving parody episode), Toffee's end game was causing the fritz to eliminate access to magic and have the monsters at advantage to be able to reclaim their land (remember, the mewmans actually invaded the monsters' land and drove them away and stole their corn), the icing in the cake was getting his finger back as means to boost morale (given that last time the monsters surrendered as soon as they saw mewmans had the means to kill lizard folk) by showing monsters he was immortal again.

This here is pretty much garanteed was part of Toffee's plan, but there is also the theory that:

Toffee knew of Moon's deal with Eclipsa and all of this could also have the end game of completing the contract so Eclipsa, the monsters' greatest Ally, could come back.

Epcott

I just watched The Black Adder season 1 for the first time this week and finished yesterday. It occurred to me, Ludo is totally inspired by Edmund. Makes me love his character even more.

I just watched the first episode of this show. Maybe I'm really old but it feels crazy energetic compared to other kids cartoons. It's like there's no breather moment at all.

I liked it though. Really goofy animations. The locker hallway prancing from Star was great.

I just watched the first episode of this show. Maybe I'm really old but it feels crazy energetic compared to other kids cartoons. It's like there's no breather moment at all.

I liked it though. Really goofy animations. The locker hallway prancing from Star was great.
I would ask you to stick with it. The show's energy gets much more smooth farther into season 1 and especially season 2. Breathers and downtime become common and help balance out the energetic nature of the show.

If you think this is hectic, you should check out Mighty Magiswords. It's ridiculously fast-paced.

Psxphile

SVTFOE returns November 6th for a two-week episode bomb, Monday through Thursday.

promo

EDIT: according to reports I'm seeing, they're gonna air two episodes per day, with an hour-long mid-season finale 22-min episode double-billing on the last day

Top Bottom