• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James Comey: Protests disrupt speech to Howard students

Slayven

I understand the history that the FBI and black people have in the past but can anyone tell me what Comey did specifically towards the black community? Honest question.
he complained that videoing is making it hard for police to do their job

Yes, lets only have people speak who make us feel all happy and roses on the inside?

What the fuck is up with y'all in this thread. This is NOT nearly like having a Milo come speak.

Perhaps a worthwhile dialogue could be had?

edit - the post by africanus puts this in much better context.

This is an HBCU, the students know america doesn't value them. Context

No, his organization is. The FBI giving $100k to Black people is like a rapist buying his victim dinner afterwards. All is forgiven right?

Hoover was a piece of shit, but can we really make the argument that the FBI of today is anywhere near as hostile to black Americans as they were in the past? They aren't where they should be, but compared to local police departments the difference is stark. They actually go (or went thanks to Trump) after white supremacists and have stopped many racially motivated attacks.

Esiquio

I will say, this is one situation where I'm not sure what the protest achieved. I'm all for protests and civil disobediance to gain attention towards a cause. But Comey, the former head of the FBI being able to speak to HBCU could have been an interesting moment. I don't know what his speech was going to be about, but what's the harm in listening to it, even if it's 100% wrong and hogwash? If the speech was wrong, THEN protest.

I could be way off base here, though, so feel free to shit on me if this reasoning doesn't fly.

You seem to not be aware of all the protests at schools for the past several years here in America. There isn't a genuine interest in conversation in many of those cases, just name-calling and shutting the other side down via noise and shaming. Even if the protests are "righteous", what else is accomplished in a lot of those instances besides maybe a headline that reads differently to each side, with nothing real changed?

Daryl Davis has done far more for his communities than those who protest, but have nothing to offer beyond simple anger and shouting, "fuck him, fuck this, fuck that". I hope one day that anger can be transformed to a desire to effect real change in their personal sphere of influence. That said, Davis is a saint with limitless patience, definitely a tough thing to emulate.

rambis

Banned
The FBI has done tremendous damage to Black Americans that they have yet to recover from. Hoovers COINTELPRO targeted Malcolm X, Martin Luther King, and The Black Panthers- who were all killed or incarcerated. It would be like inviting neonazis to speak at Jewish colleges. Fuck the school administration for this.
Im sorry this is beyond idiotic. Do they show up to every event Obama is speaking at to protest? You know the President did once have slaves.

It's upsetting how much hero worship people on the left are throwing toward what are, essentially, the top cops in the country in our intelligence communities.

"Straight Outta Compton is one of my favorite movies and I want to name my first born after James Comey."

#theresistance is in love with this dude. Good on the protestors.
......Comey is a lifetime R. Most Dems blame him soley for Hillary losing the election. Are you all just throwing shit to see what sticks?

I'm glad I disassociated myself with BLM a while ago. This is counter productive to progress.

Cyframe

"The director of the F.B.I. reignited the factious debate over a so-called “Ferguson effect” on Wednesday, saying that he believed less aggressive policing was driving an alarming spike in murders in many cities.

James Comey, the director, said that while he could offer no statistical proof, he believed after speaking with a number of police officials that a “viral video effect” — with officers wary of confronting suspects for fear of ending up on a video — “could well be at the heart” of a spike in violent crime in some cities.

“There’s a perception that police are less likely to do the marginal additional policing that suppresses crime — the getting out of your car at 2 in the morning and saying to a group of guys, ‘Hey, what are you doing here?’” he told reporters." - New York Times

Why are people wading into this topic saying listen to the other side when they haven't done their due diligence, which is just typing in "james comey police" into a search engine.

Xe4

Banned
Hoover was a piece of shit, but can we really make the arargument that the FBI of today is anywhere near as hostile to black Americans as they were in the past? They aren't where they should be, but compared to local police departments the difference is stark. They actually go (or went thanks to Trump) after white supremacists and have stopped many racially motivated attacks.
Not to mention the FBI has sucessfully interviewed in numerous local police departments. My city is an example of that, going from one of the worst police departments in the country in terms of police brutality incidents/capita to a much better organization thanks to the FBI stepping in and making them get their shit together.

The FBI has done some bullshit. Even in recent years. No doubt about that. But they've also done a ton of good too.

joe2187

Banned
You seem to not be aware of all the protests at schools for the past several years here in America. There isn't a genuine interest in conversation in many of those cases, just name-calling and shutting the other side down via noise and shaming. Even if the protests are "righteous", what else is accomplished in a lot of those instances besides maybe a headline that reads differently to each side, with nothing real changed?

Daryl Davis has done far more for his communities than those who protest, but have nothing to offer beyond simple anger and shouting, "fuck him, fuck this, fuck that". I hope one day that anger can be transformed to a desire to effect real change in their personal sphere of influence. That said, Davis is a saint with limitless patience, definitely a tough thing to emulate.

At this point Daryl Davis is going to become a Verb

"This mother fucker just pulled a Daryl Davis......Again? really fuck that guy"

Valhelm

contribute something
Did Comey actually address any of their issues in his speech?

The article doesn't really detail anything he said.

I don't think it matters. He led the most oppressive domestic institution in the US for several years, and he needs to carry that mark even if he stands against Trump.

It's upsetting how much hero worship people on the left are throwing toward what are, essentially, the top cops in the country in our intelligence communities.

"Straight Outta Compton is one of my favorite movies and I want to name my first born after James Comey."

#theresistance is in love with this dude. Good on the protestors.

That's how I feel too. They're shady bastards and deserve nothing. Quadruple that for the CIA.

Why should Blacks have to be friends with those that kill them or allow other people to kill them?

Slayven

Fuckign shameful that this dude is used to bludgeon black people. The dude told black leaders to suck dick. Literally.

Dude is 2 steps away from being David Clarke

Cyan

Banned
Let me add some context as a student.

The Group: HUResist is a student activist group on campus that started earlier this year (I actually missed their founding meeting by 15 minutes, went to get food). They try to tap into the veins of earlier Howard University protests against the administration. In the current era, they dislike and protest against our administrations’ cozying up to the Trump administration, and our president Wayne Frederick’s general mismanagement, perceived or real, of Howard University. This isn’t their first protest, as earlier this year there were various sit ins and demonstrations.

The Person: James Comey has been hired for a seminar series (I believe 5 in total) by Howard University. He was also brought on to speak as the opening speaker for Howard’s 150th commencement speech and convocation for the new year. This is displeasing given the FBI’s antiblack policies both in the past and during his term as FBI director.

The Event: As stated earlier, convocation is essentially a huge event on campus, and typically a major speaker comes each year. The choice of Comey this year was panned by multiple students, especially HU Resist, given the events of the past year involving him and of the FBI in general. The 150th anniversary was just icing on the cake. Students have classes off from 10-1, allowing for more people to show up.

Thank you, this is very helpful where the news articles I've seen haven't really been. For a convocation speech (which I'm assuming is meant to be inspiring and motivating for incoming students) at an HBCU, I would think you'd want to avoid inviting this kind of speaker.

It sounds like Howard's President was invited to address the FBI while Comey was in charge there, so maybe he feels like this is reciprocal or something. But I don't see why you'd give him the convocation.

Esiquio

The Group: HUResist is a student activist group on campus that started earlier this year (I actually missed their founding meeting by 15 minutes, went to get food). They try to tap into the veins of earlier Howard University protests against the administration. In the current era, they dislike and protest against our administrations’ cozying up to the Trump administration, and our president Wayne Frederick’s general mismanagement, perceived or real, of Howard University. This isn’t their first protest, as earlier this year there were various sit ins and demonstrations.

The Person: James Comey has been hired for a seminar series (I believe 5 in total) by Howard University. He was also brought on to speak as the opening speaker for Howard’s 150th commencement speech and convocation for the new year. This is displeasing given the FBI’s antiblack policies both in the past and during his term as FBI director.

The Event: As stated earlier, convocation is essentially a huge event on campus, and typically a major speaker comes each year. The choice of Comey this year was panned by multiple students, especially HU Resist, given the events of the past year involving him and of the FBI in general. The 150th anniversary was just icing on the cake. Students have classes off from 10-1, allowing for more people to show up.

This is a very good post that gives great context to the situation, thanks for that. Do you think that there will be any quality conversations that could result in Howard's new relationship with Comey, that could possibly effect change in policies or attitudes? I'm curious what Howard's admins hoped to achieve with Comey, but I hope it is for those things.

No, his organization is. The FBI giving $100k to Black people is like a rapist buying his victim dinner afterwards. All is forgiven right?

That money is from James Comey, personally. And no, I can't agree that him giving his personal salary is the equivalent of buying his rape victim (Howard University), dinner (a scholarship).

I think he made the institutions he served better by serving, but he sought leadership positions in institutions that historically support a white supremacist system and took specific actions against the black community. Inviting him to be the keynote speaker for the 150th opening convocation ceremony was dumb.

rambis

Banned

Can you enlighten me on the "FBI's antiblack practices" during his term?

Yep, still not sure how to feel about this.

Comey has never been the easiest guy to love and has plenty of positions I'm totally against. He was the FBI director and the FBI has a history of racist policing. However, right now he's the cornerstone in a case to bring down maybe the most shameful president in living memory, who has even greater potential for causing harm to minorities in the United States.

Clearly, inviting him to speak at convocation was not wise, but I'm not sure shouting him down is the best thing either. A more discussion focused venue would be interesting though.

Edit:
Should have grilled him...not shouted him down. This is an opportunity to at least hold him accountable for some of the stuff he was responsible for as head of the FBI...

Esiquio

Why should Blacks have to be friends with those that kill them or allow other people to kill them?

When did anyone say that black people HAVE TO be friends with those that hate them? That is that mans choice, his path. It's not meant for everyone. If people want to protest, then fine. I just personally think that the way he is going about things, in his way, has caused real change with those he knows. He said that something around 60 KKK members had left their ranks because of him. And that is a positive thing, but again, not the path for everyone.

Fuckign shameful that this dude is used to bludgeon black people. The dude told black leaders to suck dick. Literally.

Dude is 2 steps away from being David Clarke

Did you think that my post was "bludgeoning" black people? I'm confused what you mean by this.

Should have grilled him...not shouted him down. This is an opportunity to at least hold him accountable for some of the stuff he was responsible for as head of the FBI...

conpfreak

Protest Comey for that dumbass letter.

Made a nothing burger a mountain when he put that dumb shit out 11 days before gametime.

I truly believe that letter is what killed Hillary. Comey got us in this fucking mess 100%

I honestly don't believe that's what compelled this protest from this group. This was an attention grab. I can't think of any specific actions targeting black people taken by Comey while he was the FBI director, other than the announcement before election day helping Trump get elected, that can't be reflected on the Obama administration as a whole.

slit

You can protest Comey for anything. He is one of the reasons for everything that has happened since late last year and even before that really. Seems like some have given him some sort of free pass just because his relationship with Trump went sour.

Futureman

I feel neutral to negative about Comey. Do people like him here?

I'm confused why people on here are saying the left is in love with him... my general sense is people borderline hate him because of what happened a week before the 2016 election. He gained a bit of cred standing up to Trump but really... everyone should be standing up against Trump.

Slayven

When did anyone say that black people HAVE TO be friends with those that hate them? That is that mans choice, his path. It's not meant for everyone. If people want to protest, then fine. I just personally think that the way he is going about things, in his way, has caused real change with those he knows. He said that something around 60 KKK members had left their ranks because of him. And that is a positive thing, but again, not the path for everyone.

Did you think that my post was "bludgeoning" black people? I'm confused what you mean by this.

You saying a guy that said this
http://www.thedailybeast.com/kkk-do...ashes-with-blm-activists-in-film-during-qanda

During the documentary, he pays a visit to Baltimore where he sits down with a pair of Black Lives Matter Activists—Kwame Rose, a 21-year-old college dropout who famously called out Geraldo Rivera on national television, and Tariq Toure, a poet and writer. Both are influential community organizers and activists who played sizeable roles in their city's protests following the death of Freddie Gray while in police custody.

In the film, the trio sat down at a Baltimore bar for a chat. Thing get heated when the two young men question why Davis has spent the past thirty years trying to get white people to overcome their racism instead of helping his own people.

”What does that do for people?" Rose asks of Davis in the film. ”Infiltrating the Klan ain't freeing your people." He added, ”Befriending a white person who doesn't have to go through the struggles of you, me... that's not an accomplishment. That's a new friend. That's somebody you can call."

”And this is coming from a dropout," Davis shoots back, condescendingly.

”You don't tell Steve Jobs he ain't successful. He don't have no college degree. Bill Gates ain't got no college degree," Rose replies. ”Neither does Monica Lewinsky," says Davis. ”OK, shit, and what?" Rose says. ”She's giving blowjobs in the White House and doing whatever she was doing..." ”...Well, maybe you could give Obama a blowjob and make a lot of money, too," interrupts Davis.

Did more for black people? Some of those KKK he "claim" to convert was at Charlotteville waving guns at black people.

So miss shouting down black people by bludgeoning someone that is trying to be one of the good ones

And I like the patience you bragged about Davis displayed in the exchange

Cyframe

Why don't you go talk to the KKK? Come back and tell me how that goes.

Bringing him up when Black college students are protesting a man against videotaping police is more than reasonable only serves to undercut them. Whether you intended that or not, bringing up someone with very very minor results as an example is outlandish.

Do you think Black people as a whole haven't been respectful since we were brought over here? That our attitudes prevented white slavers from having empathy? Black people are more than nice enough and people choose racism more often than not. That's not our problem.

I wish people would stop bringing this man up. Just stop.

because this:
just screams "why can't black folks be more like daryl, the good one" effectively taking the responsibility of fixing the problem out of white peoples hands.

Guevara

Seems like a wasted opportunity. I thought it was quite a coup Howard got Comey and I'm sure his public policy course would be excellent. I really don't think we want to go down the road of thinking hosting a public figure is the same as endorsing them.

Someone bringing up Daryl "I'mma shout down at black people with my KKK friends because I look like Uncle Ruckus" Davis? Someone needs to leave and think about their life.

Oh I'm black and I know black history so don't just assume I'm some ignorant person who doesn't know any better.
My bad for assuming things about you then. I just disagree that this is a case of whiny college liberals though.
It would be silly to blame Comey for those things.

Blaming him for policies under his tenure? Fair game. For instance, repeatedly alleging that BLM and others were discouraging police from doing their jobs. For all the other current policies that disproportionately target minority groups? All fair. Which, it sounds like is what the protesters were raising.
I am not blaming Comey for that. Yes ultimately he is responsible for the decisions he made during his tenure. I just find it distasteful/tone deaf to have an FBI director speak at an HBCU.
I agree that a lot of what the FBI did was fucked. Really fucked. But Nazi's systematically murdered six million Jewish people. It's a disengenuous comparison and you know it.
I didn't have the Holocaust in mind when I posted. That didn't happen overnight, there were plenty of steps and human rights violations the Jewish people endured leading up to that. Malcolm X even made the comparison when he called out the U.S. for allowing the police to use Gestapo tactics in the Black community.
Hoover was a piece of shit, but can we really make the argument that the FBI of today is anywhere near as hostile to black Americans as they were in the past? They aren't where they should be, but compared to local police departments the difference is stark. They actually go (or went thanks to Trump) after white supremacists and have stopped many racially motivated attacks.
The FBI is better but that's not saying much. They still put out anti-Black rhetoric during Comey's tenure, this is still the same bureau, and Black America has yet to recover from COINTELPRO. Set us back a few generations easily. Shit, some places still never properly recovered from the riots that ensued after MLKs murder. I'm sure some folks in Howard's Administration were alive for this. It's a very tone deaf booking due to the past and present.

Africanus

Duh fuck, all the people you could invite to celebrate black people and education, you pick the former head slave catcher?
Yeah...

Thank you, this is very helpful where the news articles I've seen haven't really been. For a convocation speech (which I'm assuming is meant to be inspiring and motivating for incoming students) at an HBCU, I would think you'd want to avoid inviting this kind of speaker.

It sounds like Howard's President was invited to address the FBI while Comey was in charge there, so maybe he feels like this is reciprocal or something. But I don't see why you'd give him the convocation.

Typically they choose better speakers, you are right on the money for the purpose. I at first assumed the seminar series would be the only speaking events Comey would be doing.

This is a very good post that gives great context to the situation, thanks for that. Do you think that there will be any quality conversations that could result in Howard's new relationship with Comey, that could possibly effect change in policies or attitudes? I'm curious what Howard's admins hoped to achieve with Comey, but I hope it is for those things.

That money is from James Comey, personally. And no, I can't agree that him giving his personal salary is the equivalent of buying his rape victim (Howard University), dinner (a scholarship).

I’ll add a bit more perspective on this. In a meeting the HU president had with student leaders of various orgs on campus earlier this year (I was in it), he spoke of his desire to have HU work better with what he referred to as different perspectives. He was alluding to an event in which the 3 campus Republicans were made to feel unwelcome simply for being Republican. He also mentioned how Howard has to be more inclusive partially because we receive federal funding (which explained why he went and met Trump and Betsy Devos, both of which weren’t received well on campus, to the point that HURESIST set up chalk messages all around campus, one even stating “Welcome to Trump’s Plantation: Overseer Wayne Frederick” on the main yard during tour week) that constitutes a good amount of our total funding.

That being in context might explain why he would invite Comey, a Republican and controversial figure.

The Kree

Banned
Anybody holding up Daryl Davis as some kind of white knight of tolerance and acceptance at this point is basically telling black people to start fellating klansmen.

kirblar

I'm confused why people on here are saying the left is in love with him... my general sense is people borderline hate him because of what happened a week before the 2016 election. He gained a bit of cred standing up to Trump but really... everyone should be standing up against Trump.
He's a well-intentioned guy who seems to actually have a solid base of ethics (see: the Ashcroft thing in the Bush admin) but is completely clueless when it comes to public-facing politics. Apparently something similar to the Comey letter was proposed earlier in the Obama admin and they shot him down. He's complicated.

Protesting the FBI makes sense to me, Comey less so. Giving him that speaking spot was probably not the wisest choice given the history but there really shouldn't be an issue with him teaching.

rambis

Banned
People are seriously baffled as to why students at an HBCU would be upset by a former FBI director at a convocation. Wow. http://www.salon.com/2016/10/20/fbi...surveillance-of-black-lives-matter-activists/

Piss poor allies lol
What is this proving?

Yes, if you start a large nation wide organization, they will likely come under the FBI's radar at some point. Especially considering there have been a number of acts of violence and destruction by people claiming to be BLM. Unless you have some wrongful arrrests or something to point to, this is nothing.

This are some piss poor excuses to justify whats looks to be a very misguided protest.

andthebeatgoeson

James Comey is to black Americans what Nazi's are to Jews. That's what you're saying, okay.
Oh, money. Then that makes everything okay. When's Trump coming?

What is this proving?

Yes, if you start a large nation wide organization, they will likely come under the FBI's radar at some point. Especially considering there have been a number of acts of violence and destruction by people claiming to be BLM.

This are some piss poor excuses to justify whats looks to be a very misguided protest.[/QUOTE
Dude, that bolded sentence is all sorts of wrong. Comey is tone death and like Spicey a lot of people won't celebrate just because Trump fucked him over.

Let's not forget his letter release and timing to the candidate most supported by Howard.

Comey has a ton of reasons to be criticized.

Xe4

Banned
I didn't have the Holocaust in mind when I posted. That didn't happen overnight, there were plenty of steps and human rights violations the Jewish people endured leading up to that. Malcolm X even made the comparison when he called out the U.S. for allowing the police to use Gestapo tactics in the Black community.
I agree with pretty much everything in this post. But when you're comparing pretty much any group to Nazi's you should be aware of the full weight of that comparison.It's impossible to ignore the holocaust when discussing Nazi's because other people won't be, and for good reason.

By making unequal comparisons you end up reducing the severity of the crimes both groups purpetrated. People will also be distracted by the comparison over other points you may be making.

Lunar15

Quick question: Was this just a speech or was there ever going to be a point where Comey took questions from the student body?

rambis

Banned
Oh, money. Then that makes everything okay. When's Trump coming?

What is this proving?

Yes, if you start a large nation wide organization, they will likely come under the FBI's radar at some point. Especially considering there have been a number of acts of violence and destruction by people claiming to be BLM.

This are some piss poor excuses to justify whats looks to be a very misguided protest.
Dude, that bolded sentence is all sorts of wrong. Comey is tone death and like Spicey a lot of people won't celebrate just because Trump fucked him over.

Let's not forget his letter release and timing to the candidate most supported by Howard.

Comey has a ton of reasons to be criticized.
How is it wrong? And I've asked for three posts now what Comey has specifically done to deserve this and nobody is able to point to anything.

And now you've taken it all the way back to "but he gave Trump the election" when just a few posts ago he was the "left's hero".

You talk about tone deaf but we literally have people shouting "they love* to be black" like Comey is an ex grand wizard or something

Bleh...

Lunar15

Just a speech, he was the opening speaker.

Got it.

Shame: that would have been potentially interesting. As it stands, the fact that the university thought that getting James Comey would have been a great idea just comes off as completely tone-deaf.

I agree with pretty much everything in this post. But when you're comparing pretty much any group to Nazi's you should be aware of the full weight of that comparison.

It's impossible to ignore the holocaust when discussing Nazi's because other people won't be. By making unequal comparisons you end up reducing the severity of the crimes both groups purpotrated. People will also be distracted by the comparison over other points you may be making.
I understand. I overshot it with the comparison. I'm just ignorant to world history and can't think of a 1:1 comparison when it comes to the situation of Blacks in America. We are always told to get over the past and forgive our enemies, even though they continue to violate our human rights. People tend to not take Black issues and our history here as serious as it is so Godwin's law becomes a temptation.

Has he, now? Really?

I'd love to hear all about how Lord Daryl Davis, the new civil rights god of Black People, has done more for black communities than Black Lives matter has. Please. Tell me everything you know about both groups.

Getting really fucking tired of this guy being namedfropped in EVERY fucking thread involving black folks.

Has Daryl Davis convinced California State University to forfeit $30M in private prison investments? Did Daryl Davis make Whole Foods stop using wage slave prison labor? Did Daryl Davis have 3 corrupt US police departments become subject to Federal probes for Civil Rights abuses? Did Daryl Davis bring attention worldwide to the State sanctioned violence that still runs deep in modern day America?

People are hilarious. Now we have a bastardized MLK and Daryl Davis as right-wing Pokemons to argue against.

Top Bottom