• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Milo Yiannopoulos' "Free Speech Week" At Berkeley Falls Apart, Organizers Say

Let's be clear here: there has been no obstruction to this event except the organizers' failure to go through the minimal steps to book venues and speakers.

One might almost think it was announced by Milo in the hope that there would be massive threat of violent opposition and then he could cancel it and blame liberal violence. That has not happened.

http://www.npr.org/2017/09/22/55242...ree-speech-week-at-berkeley-is-causing-a-stir

https://wonkette.com/623287/milos-f...e-fire-but-not-the-garbage-fire-he-dreamed-of

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
A little info in the OP might be helpful. From the NPR article:

"Free Speech Week," a four-day, right-wing rally at the University of California, Berkeley, has been called off, student organizers of the event tell member station KQED.

The event fell apart after the co-organizers — The Berkeley Patriot, an online publication, and Yiannopoulos — failed to confirm the guest list and book multiple indoor venues on campus.

Boem

I feel like the end of the NPR article gets it right completely:

"It's become a center of far-right speech because the far-right has taken the tactic — and Milo Yiannopoulos being the prime example — of essentially trolling people who wouldn't want to hear it — and that's what this is," Sepulvado said. "When I talked to Berkeley Patriot, and I said, you know, 'What is the academic value of having Ann Coulter or Milo Yiannopoulos speak on campus?' They say there isn't any. They are the first to acknowledge that there is no academic value."

They're trying to use these events as political rallies, not for academic purposes.

Then it shouldn't be reported on at all, right?
That it fizzled out on its own? That's newsworthy. The fact it was ever going to happen put a lot of folks on edge - you don't just ignore a going story after its been established.

Just as reporting that a hurricane won't be making landfall as expected, you don't leave stuff like that hanging.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
You know these guys would be scary if they weren't complete and utter fuck ups.

I'm not trying to be snarky, but why is this is a story if it just fell apart on its own?

As well as what others have pointed out I also think it's important to document and highlight the fact that the far-right are not a viable functioning group and show people who might consider supporting that kind of mindset that they should not be counted on as a legitimate power for anything.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Then it shouldn't be reported on at all, right?

Eh? The event was announced, fell apart, featured controversial racist alt-righters trying to drum up controversy in the public sphere. It's news. I'm not sure why you'd think it wouldn't be. I'm no fan of giving Milo airtime even in print, but it's absolutely newsworthy.

And I enjoy seeing the idiot fail and seeing his "movement" slink off into the shadows because they realized the world isn't 4-chan.

Well the Berkeley Patriot, by their account, hasn't exactly been treated fairly by the university. From their account, they tried to follow protocol, but the university wasn't following up with them. That's the take away from the following video for those of you who refuse to give videos on milo's youtube channel views.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn5Xgak1zzA

Sounds like they didn't receive the level of "outrage" they were hoping for, and just called it off.

Milo just doesn't pull the same crowd sizes like he did in the past.

Edit: I also think both school administrations and students at Berkeley have learned how to handle these situations.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
So wait, which is it - did they mess up, or did they get stonewalled by the University until they gave up?

There’s a big difference between what happened with Ben Shapiro and what’s going on with Ann and Milo...it’s like nobody cares about them anymore

Plumbob

Well the Berkeley Patriot, by their account, hasn't exactly been treated fairly by the university. From their account, they tried to follow protocol, but the university wasn't following up with them. That's the take away from the following video for those of you who refuse to give videos on milo's youtube channel views.

Campus resources are limited.

If Berkeley Patriot wants
  • More space for events on campus
  • More administrative capacity
  • More campus security and other event support resources

they should think about the public policy stances of their idols more carefully.

Boem

I don't really understand the "they didn't get the outrage they were hoping for" comments here? Because the article states that professors and students circulated letters to not attend classes and to stay home during the event to protest hate speech. There were people protesting this already.

I'm obviously not trying to take Milo's side here btw, I just don't think that take is quite right.

Armaros

On the Media speculated that they likely intended for it to be canceled so that they can play the censorship victim card.

Only problem with that is they are so unorganized doing so, by putting out annoucements of quest speakers that have not confirmed anything and conflicting statements between Milos group and the student group.

I don't really understand the "they didn't get the outrage they were hoping for" comments here? Because the article states that professors and students circulated letters to not attend classes and stay home during the event to protest hate speech. There were people protesting this already.

I'm obviously not trying to take Milo's side here btw, I just don't think that take is quite right.

Well if the protest was to stay home and just not go to class, then yeah, the student organization wouldn't be getting the outrage they were looking for. As it is, this just looks like incompetent management.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I don't really understand the "they didn't get the outrage they were hoping for" comments here? Because the article states that professors and students circulated letters to not attend classes and stay home during the event to protest hate speech. There were people protesting this already.

More like it wasn't a media circus that drew national attention and "outrage". These types never cared about the professors and students in the first place, they wanted the national stage by using the university. They were hoping Antifa or some other group would make a big enough stink to get all eyes on them and their agenda. That didn't happen.

I'm not trying to be snarky, but why is this is a story if it just fell apart on its own?

Are you sure you're not trying to be snarky? Because I'm struggling to think of why you think a high profile event like this being called off isn't newsworthy regardless of the reason why it was called off.

I don't really understand the "they didn't get the outrage they were hoping for" comments here? Because the article states that professors and students circulated letters to not attend classes and to stay home during the event to protest hate speech. There were people protesting this already.

The type of outrage they were looking for was for people to show up and cause chaos/violence/conflict. Not exactly the attention they were getting (a more peaceful version).

Thankfully, it looks like their incompetence was the demise of this specific event. And who knows what would have happened had it actually took place (I'm sure some idiots would show up to give the trolls exactly what they want).

You don't see how circulating an internal letters to miss class isn't as enticing as students doing something else that would have cause national attention and allow alt-right neo nazis to point their finger and say, "Look at the violent Left"?

Nafai1123

Banned

small-violin.gif

Why won’t he stop moving his head in wild motions!?!

On a more serious note, why you would believe anything that this creep says?

Only problem with that is they are so unorganized doing so, by putting out annoucements of quest speakers that have not confirmed anything and conflicting statements between Milos group and the student group.
That could be by design. They blew right through some booking deadlines, too, and some of the guests said they were never even asked whether they would appear (Steve Bannon, while he didn't comment, has a schedule on that day that would require him to be in DC in the morning and Berkeley in the evening if he were to attend). All the while, they played up that Berkeley liberals were trying to find a way to stop their event.

My thought about it is this: if the event actually happens, they get what? A few dozen attendees? Maybe a couple hundred if they're lucky? But if the event seems like it's just on the cusp and then gets canceled, then, well, they get free publicity and even their own GAF thread to discuss it.

Good to hear! Wish the Milo event at my school got cancelled but at least its in doors at Halloween night so only boring stupid republicans will stick around that time.

Good to hear! Wish the Milo event at my school got cancelled but at least its in doors at Halloween night so only boring stupid republicans will stick around that time.

Do you guys generally party hard on Halloween? Where I live Halloween has this bizarre duality, split between kids going from house to house all night, and the 20-40 year old group getting down at all of the bars running drink specials until 3:00am.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
It's hard to believe with the number of twitter followers he has. Look at the number of likes on this one alone.

Liking a tweet and showing your face in civilization (with attendant repercussions and consequences) are two different things. especially for teenagers whose entire political ambition is that they just really want the right to yell the n-word.

Armaros

That could be by design. They blew right through some booking deadlines, too, and some of the guests said they were never even asked whether they would appear (Steve Bannon, while he didn't comment, has a schedule on that day that would require him to be in DC in the morning and Berkeley in the evening if he were to attend). All the while, they played up that Berkeley liberals were trying to find a way to stop their event.

My thought about it is this: if the event actually happens, they get what? A few dozen attendees? Maybe a couple hundred if they're lucky? But if the event seems like it's just on the cusp and then gets canceled, then, well, they get free publicity and even their own GAF thread to discuss it.

The idea was to get influence 'moderates' and pull out a 'both sides' argument about violent protests and etc.

Problem is that all of these issues give Berkeley a easy way out to dump Milo and prevent violence from occurring.

Top Bottom