• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

I prefer to get singleplayer games on the PC if its an actual good port. Damn you R* for not releasing Red Dead on the PC. I can only imagine the mods that would've been made for that game. Look at GTA4 on the PC with those graphic mods.

And I'm sure there will be some dedicated people for Amalur that will make some mods for this game.

Nista

Achievements for me. It's stupid, I know, but I love them. I can handle worse graphics, seeing as my PC isn't too hot.

There's Steam achievements, but I know those don't feel as real to me as a console platinum. Probably since everyone is so anti-social on Steam comparatively.

My pcs are also tending towards the not so hot scale as well. I need to win that new laptop.

Curt Schilling is going to be at the MA midnight launch.

SOMEONE PLEASE BUY THE COLLECTORS, AND MAKE CURT THROW FASTBALLS AT THE TROLL STATUE UNTIL IT EXPLODES.

ReaperXL7

Alright well, other then the invisable middle portion of the first post with the system requirements, and map stuff. The OT is fixed :)

PMed a mod to find out whats going on with that portion though, I just can't figure out why that one piece is not showing while everything else is.

scy

I would second ditching the poison synergy for the most part. The build just seems a lot better when you drop envenomed edge (Other than 1 point to move up that tree) and stick with Blade Honing/Battle Frenzy as your sustained. then you have Quake, Smoke bomb, Frost Trap all of which can stun.

Without Envenomed Edge, you really don't have much Poison Synergy barring Alchemy use (and/or Poison Elemental weapons, if they exist; I assumed no since EE feels silly if you can just poison coat weapons via Alchemy or find Poison weapons). EE feels kind of like a requirement for good synergy with Mysterious Toxins.

Rough Stun/Finesse Might Build

This is what I was potentially looking at. Quake, Smoke Bomb, Frost Trap, Shadow Flare, Shield Charge, Relentless Assault. A lot of actives but other than Quake fairly mana efficient... and shadow flare + quake while having mysterious toxins seems pretty effective aoe. I just don't see the need for envenomed edge to apply the poison effect.

Maxed out Quake is 114 Mana to use with a base pool of around 75 available at level 40 with no +Mana equipment. You actually cannot use it in that build without approximately +80/+55% Mana from equipment which is why I went 1 Quake/5 Aftershock for the 96 Mana cost (+30 Mana/+20%). Even then, this is a fairly mana starved build in general since RA is a constant spam if you want it up for the no-flinch status at 50 Mana a pop and then there's the 71 Mana per Smoke Bomb so that's why I decided to drop Quake from one of the builds and focus more on X button to win.

Also, I think there's zero reason for more than 1 point in Bloodlust. 1 point is +4.4 HP/swing on average and 5 points is +6 HP during the 20s window of Relentless Assault. Not really a good investment, pesonally, for those four points vs topping off some of the 4/5 skills in the build and the one point of Power Strike.

That build is of course very dagger centric so it's a little different than what you might want (Don't care for the faeblades at all myself) but it seems like fun.

Just one weapon, though? Feels a little odd to run a single weapon build, especially when you run into needing about five points to spend on it or Shadow Flare. Either way, Dagger/Faeblade are interchangeable in the build as far as point distribution is concerned.

I'm still likely to just be rolling my staff/chakram Champion though, the lure of huge crits may not be enough for me.

Finesse/Sorcery is the build I'll be going anyway, I just wanted to look at Might/Finesse since I don't think anyone's really talked about it. It's surprising how much there actually is in the build, though. I wrote it off as seemingly uninteresting but there's a lot to get out of it.

im thinking if the camera is the biggest problem on this game, which i don't see any other complaints, it's shaping up to be a great game i think

ced

im thinking if the camera is the biggest problem on this game, which i don't see any other complaints, it's shaping up to be a great game i think

They have stated on their official forums that they are adding in some options for the camera, just not sure if that's going to be in the retail or a later patch. That was my only big issue with the demo, so I'm sold now. I just hope it's a day 1 patch.

Hey, everyone. This is my first post! I've been lurking forever and finally decided to sign up and make this the first OT I've posted in. I'm very much looking forward to this game. it's been on the radar for awhile and the demo confirmed how bad ass I figured it would be. I've got two copies preordered, one on Xbox 360 and the other on PS3, and will be picking them up day one, hour one. \m/ Hopefully everyone has some fun!

Hambone

Holy shit. Seriously? I avoided the game because I assumed the revamped the PC combat system. This is a huge revelation to me. I might actually play DA2 now.

I could of swore that DA2, on the PC lost the isometric camera view, and played more like a direct port of the console version.

Khezu

I could of swore that DA2, on the PC lost the isometric camera view, and played more like a direct port of the console version.

Uh, it did sort of, you can still zoom out, just not as much as DA:O, unless someone modded it to work like DAO

Macmanus

Rats. Isometric view is what I wanted. I played the first one almost entirely top down like BG2. Gave you an clear view of the battlefield.

I'm trying to stay level-headed about this and not get too hyped before I actually play the final product, but it's getting tough.

I love build theorycraft, but I can't get myself to look at a calculator. Since the game isn't an MMO, no one is going to be negatively affected by my bullshit build experiments, so I'm expecting to go completely nuts with different builds in separate playthroughs.

spirity

New Nvidia beta drivers (295.51) have an sli profile for Reckoning. Just a heads up. No mention of any optimisations.

moop1167

Rats. Isometric view is what I wanted. I played the first one almost entirely top down like BG2. Gave you an clear view of the battlefield.

Yeah there isn't the iso camera but in terms of combat nothing is really changed. You still auto-attack, and select abilities on the quickbar like in the first. The only other difference is that it's faster and more showy.

But enough about DA2... Kingdoms of Amalur puts it to shame. I took off Wednesday. Is that bad? Whatever, I am probably leaving my job soon and have a ton of sick/vacation time.

After so many years of lurking, countless of games where I could have decided to finally join GAF and talk about them. Kingdoms of Amalur is the game where I finally managed myself to join here.

Onward to the game. I can not wait for this. I can only imagine how people may feel when they have been waiting for longer then a year or more. I am quite in luck that it has only been a few months.

Well if there is no chance of getting hit during a dodge then the rogue destiny with +30% defense during dodge doesn't make much sense. Perhaps some later enemies/bosses/skills are large AoEs or something like that.

Even in the demo, you can get hit out of a dodge if you dodge in a bad direction. This isn't that hard, since the dodge is both fast and reasonably large. The easiest enemy to see this with are the wolves, where you pretty much have to dodge their lunge to the side or they'll still hit you.

Hey, everyone. This is my first post! I've been lurking forever and finally decided to sign up and make this the first OT I've posted in. I'm very much looking forward to this game. it's been on the radar for awhile and the demo confirmed how bad ass I figured it would be. I've got two copies preordered, one on Xbox 360 and the other on PS3, and will be picking them up day one, hour one. \m/ Hopefully everyone has some fun!

After so many years of lurking, countless of games where I could have decided to finally join GAF and talk about them. Kingdoms of Amalur is the game where I finally managed myself to join here.

Onward to the game. I can not wait for this. I can only imagine how people may feel when they have been waiting for longer then a year or more. I am quite in luck that it has only been a few months.
Cool, welcome to the wonderful world of GAF!

dab0ne

Ok maybe i missed it in the OP's post but do you get anything for pre-ordering on steam? I know you get the "Day One DLC" but do you get any weapons or armor or anything? I saw you get some Team Fortress stuff but I don't play team fortress.

I'm curios how long a waiting period to get an account for you new GAFers? Welcome btw.

Seemed like mine took only a couple of weeks once I added a school email account. Tried over a year ago with my hotmail account and I'm still waiting for that invite XD

I just learned who R.A Salvatore was because of Reckoning, so i decided to grab Icewind Trilogy, The Dark Elf Trilogy, and the legacy of Drow books. I wanted to see what all this fuss with Drizzt was about.

theDeeDubs

I just learned who R.A Salvatore was because of Reckoning, so i decided to grab Icewind Trilogy, The Dark Elf Trilogy, and the legacy of Drow books. I wanted to see what all this fuss with Drizzt was about.

They're all great, but I enjoyed the Legacy books the most.

Curt Schilling / Gehrig38 said:

As a Red Sox fan, and as a registered Republican... Curt, c'mon man, you've just doomed your game in the annals of NeoGaf. Hopefully you've rescinded any belief in God, it's your only hope to maintain gaf cred.

ANYWAY.

Downloaded the demo, haven't played it yet... but I'm kind of interested in this. I really wanted to hate 38 Studios first project because I assumed it'd be an Everquest clone, but the developer creds on this game have me interested, and the bits about how much writing went into it. My interest is piqued.

Oh man, my account just got validated, I just want to say that I have played the Demo, I am going to play this game, and that the fact that mages don't have to be weak until mid-game, and can play a very fun meele is A BIG step in the right direction for RPGs.

To the makers of this game, Great job, and good luck.

Hawk269

Cause he has an awesome 50" OLED tv hooked up to his PS3, and a really comfy couch with a beer fridge sitting next to it?

That's the only reason I can imagine. :)

That is why real gamers hook up their gaming rigs to big screen 3d-HDTV's! I game with a wireless keyboard and mouse from my comfy sofa and for the games that support it I use a wireless 360 controller. It basically like playing a NEXT GEN console today!!

alazz

The demo combat was underwhelming, especially coming out of Skyward Sword and The Witcher 2, until I started intertwining skills along with the basic attack. Then it clicked. Sort of like a more cRPG Diablo. It's not really profound and it's a little clunky, but it's really fun. Definitely not as button mashy as I originally pegged it. Very good groundwork for future titles.

Your character seems a bit overpowered against each individual enemy and the enemy groups don't really gank you. I don't remember if they "took turns" to attack, but it never felt like any individual enemy posed more of a threat than the whole, or I was never going out of my way to draw or eliminate a specific enemy first. I kind of expected the enemies to coordinate attacks, or at the very least spam shit. Group composition didn't seem to complex or complementary. I assume the groups get more advanced, but I'm disappointed the demo didn't include anything of the sort.

Are there any pre-order discount deals going on?

I'm curios how long a waiting period to get an account for you new GAFers? Welcome btw.

About five or six months for me. Long wait. (Like you name, man.)

I can’t believe I’m saying this, but this may actually be my first day one purchase for a long, long time.

I don’t like DLC. I don’t mind the additional expenditure - I’ve got more disposable income now than I ever have - but I’m very much with Nintendo on the whole buying the complete experience thing. I really hate it when a piece of DLC comes out a few months after I’ve completed a game, giving me the choice of missing out on something I might well have enjoyed, playing a couple of hours of (mostly average) add-on straight away or forcing myself to slog through a replay of the whole game so that I can experience the new material in context.

Nowadays, I never rush out to buy any game that’s likely to be awash with DLC in the near future and I tend to wait for the complete / game of the year / whatever editions. I haven’t played Dragon Age II yet, I’m waiting for Sid Meier to stop mucking about with Civ V, I’m expecting to play Skyrim some time towards the end of 2013 and I doubt I’ll be going anywhere near Mass Effect 3 for just as long.

But... I really admire the talents involved in the making of this game, I thoroughly enjoyed the demo and I love the design philosophy that I’ve seen expressed. I’m seriously tempted to break my self-imposed rule of the last three years or so and put a pre-order in. Hell, if the collector’s edition had been available in the UK I might even have gone for that.

(Won’t be buying any DLC that comes along though)

_machine

Oh man, my account just got validated, I just want to say that I have played the Demo, I am going to play this game, and that the fact that mages don't have to be weak until mid-game, and can play a very fun meele is A BIG step in the right direction for RPGs.

Heh, you're not the only, just got mine activated after waiting nearly 7 months.

Back on topic, finally pre-ordered the game even though I've barely got the time to play anything and I've barely scratched the surface with Skyrim, I really wanted to support Curt and 38 Studios for their amazing work and keeping in touch with the community. Really hope that Joe has some good news regarding the draw distance though, it annoyed the hell out of me in the demo.

The demo combat was underwhelming, especially coming out of Skyward Sword and The Witcher 2, until I started intertwining skills along with the basic attack. Then it clicked. Sort of like a more cRPG Diablo. It's not really profound and it's a little clunky, but it's really fun. Definitely not as button mashy as I originally pegged it. Very good groundwork for future titles.

Your character seems a bit overpowered against each individual enemy and the enemy groups don't really gank you. I don't remember if they "took turns" to attack, but it never felt like any individual enemy posed more of a threat than the whole, or I was never going out of my way to draw or eliminate a specific enemy first. I kind of expected the enemies to coordinate attacks, or at the very least spam shit. Group composition didn't seem to complex or complementary. I assume the groups get more advanced, but I'm disappointed the demo didn't include anything of the sort.

Are there any pre-order discount deals going on?

About five or six months for me. Long wait. (Like you name, man.)

Its been stated by the weekly previews from IGN that the game get harder later on. Just not so much in the beginning and you will get killed just trying to button mash.

5 or 6 months, possibly more, i've been lurking for years though.

Really? Huh strange since mine took about a month.

Yay! Long time lurkers turned Junior Members galore! What better way to celebrate a first post than by showing support towards a wonderful new IP and developer. Anyways, got the game and Future Press guide all preordered and Tuesday can't come any sooner.

My body is ready.

Amir0x

Banned
I sort of thought the demo was neat, not quite sure if it's a day one purchase for me... but since I'm just dusting out the last of my 2011 games, and there was nothing much released in January worth anyone's time, I might bite.

Calvinpewpewpew

Neo Member
I sort of thought the demo was neat, not quite sure if it's a day one purchase for me... but since I'm just dusting out the last of my 2011 games, and there was nothing much released in January worth anyone's time, I might bite.

No FF13-2 for you of all people Amir0x?

Amir0x

Banned
No FF13-2 for you of all people Amir0x?

it's the first time I've ever not purchased a FF game on day one. but i'll get it eventually, just when it is price reduced to two cents.

Anyone say how meaty Kingdoms of Amalur is? Are we getting an ultra replayable multiple choice 16 hour RPG, or a long, more directed 30~40 hour RPG?

Klyka

Banned
it's the first time I've ever not purchased a FF game on day one. but i'll get it eventually, just when it is price reduced to two cents.

Anyone say how meaty Kingdoms of Amalur is? Are we getting an ultra replayable multiple choice 16 hour RPG, or a long, more directed 30~40 hour RPG?

According to most, we are getting a 30-40 hour main quest and a 100+ full game.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Ok maybe i missed it in the OP's post but do you get anything for pre-ordering on steam? I know you get the "Day One DLC" but do you get any weapons or armor or anything? I saw you get some Team Fortress stuff but I don't play team fortress.

Nah I think the Team Fortress hats are all for the Steam preorder.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

Think more along the lines of 100 hour quest filled open world RPG.

It has more in common with Elder Scrolls and WoW than it does with the RPGs you're probably thinking of.

Amir0x

Banned
Think more along the lines of 100 hour quest filled open world RPG.

It has more in common with Elder Scrolls and WoW than it does with the RPGs you're probably thinking of.

It seemed kinda...guided in the demo. And I realize demos are demos, but since I don't like to spoil RPGs I haven't done much research.

But that's good to hear. Those are my favorite type of RPGs.

erragal

It's not really either of those. Think more 50-150 hour ARPG with a quest structure that is most similar to MMO's. It has that quasi-open world feel but not quite to the complete freeform scale of an Elder Scrolls game. From what I understand there are secrets to be found and places to explore but you'll do it within each 'hub' area as opposed to just meandering around the entire world.

Replayability is probably light for most people since everything can be completed in one playthrough and there is very flexible respeccing. Overall the game systems seem quite well designed with a lot of layers to character customization; you even get the non-combat skills of an open world game and you definitely cannot have all of them at once.

It seemed kinda...guided in the demo. And I realize demos are demos, but since I don't like to spoil RPGs I haven't done much research.

But that's good to hear. Those are my favorite type of RPGs.

I assume you mean the first portion of the demo. That's the only part of the demo where you're specifically guided. After that you go where you want and do what you want. For me personally, the tutorial was a major turnoff.

Top Bottom