• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| An Enemy-Pounding Funfest

Chris_C

Photobucket killed OP images.

Also, I think a better title would have been "Skyrim meets God of War", in order to get curious folks to have a look... it's also a really good summary of the game.

-Mikey-

This sucks! Have to choose between playing the game or watching Day 9. Guess I'll have to take a break from the game to MAYBE eat food and watch Day 9.

shaowebb

Photobucket killed OP images.

Also, I think a better title would have been "Skyrim meets God of War", in order to get curious folks to have a look... it's also a really good summary of the game.

This. I think that kind of title would draw in a lot of casuals who have given up on Western RPG's like I had until this game showed up. Putting it out there that plainly that there is a major RPG world to explore with exciting combat to sink your teeth into would really be a good idea.

EDIT: Oh hey the title changed to "An enemy pounding funfest". Not bad. Avoids negative brand associations folks might throw at Reckoning had they gone with Skyrim meets God of War idea. Thats good. I'd hate for them to think this was dude bro Skyrim with quick time events instead of what it is.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if there'll be an option to toggle the enemy name and health bar? I don't like how it appears right over the enemy sometimes. Makes it look cluttered (like this). I'd much rather have it off to the side or something, or at the very least, able to hide it.

I liked the old title...
I didn't get the old title, and part of me thinks this new one is some sort of stealth troll. A generic-sounding title to match those who were calling the game "generic" in the demo thread. :\

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if there'll be an option to toggle the enemy name and health bar? I don't like how it appears right over the enemy sometimes. Makes it look cluttered (like this). I'd much rather have it off to the side or something, or at the very least, able to hide it.

I didn't get the old title, and part of me thinks this new one is some sort of stealth troll. A generic-sounding title to match those who were calling the game "generic" in the demo thread. :\

It's a quote from Krazee Ken.

Kingdoms of Amalur:Reckoning|OT| A Bloody Sock...To The God Damned Face

shaowebb

Snagged the Warden. It was either this or Avenger for me, but my playthroughs pretty much showcased me acting more like a Warden with my tendency to swap between melee and long range so often. I'm assuming the critical hits to weak points refers to back stabs which is my biggest stealth joy.

Wallach

Am sad :( images crapped out after I had left. Won't be using photobucket for much again. Did not know it was shit like this

It's not that bad, but this is a high traffic site. Your bandwidth got mauled with that many images being accessed so many times.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Am sad :( images crapped out after I had left. Won't be using photobucket for much again. Did not know it was shit like this

All I ever see when someone links photobucket is "bandwidth limit reached"

Dead Man

Just played the demo, really enjoyed it, but damn it was clunky on my old pos laptop. I think it will have to wait until I get a new computer.

Muskweeto

Just played the demo, really enjoyed it, but damn it was clunky on my old pos laptop. I think it will have to wait until I get a new computer.

Yeah, my gaming pc crapped out on me about a month ago, it runs ok on my laptop, but I have to turn most settings down lower than I'd like to.

I'll be getting the PS3 version which looks good in the demo and knowing they fixed some things just means it'll look better.

I'll probably still end up buying the pc version too after I have the money to build a new computer with the i7 compatible motherboard I recently got.

It's probably been asked already but is there a way to lock on enemies in the final code? I realize there's some kind of soft lock on in the demo but it doesn't quite do it for me as I played through Dark Souls just recently. Would make the game significantly better for my taste.

CTE

Just paid for my preorder yesterday. Downloaded the demo and played through it but dismissed it too quick. Read that 60 page demo thread and tried it again. Haven't looked back since.

Should erase the demo today. Keep myself from burning out on the intro before I even get it.

This great info, though. I must admit I'm just getting into RPG style games(hybrids and pure) so all the info contained in this thread is of great help to me. Thanks. Makes creating my character less of a crap shoot. I think I'll go mage warrior.

Playing with the abilities calculator, Im completely torn now on what I'd like my secondary weapon to be. Primary will be the faeblades(or daggers, my put points in both in case I get a great pair of daggers while playing), but dont know if I want to stick with finesse and go bow, or grab something out of the magic side, either the chakrams or the staff. Choices, choices.

Also, and im sure this information is somewhere, but how does the save system work? Can I manually save anywhere? Can I have multiple save profiles so I can create and play with multiple builds? Just curious as every game seems to do it differently.

Klyka

Banned
Playing with the abilities calculator, Im completely torn now on what I'd like my secondary weapon to be. Primary will be the faeblades(or daggers, my put points in both in case I get a great pair of daggers while playing), but dont know if I want to stick with finesse and go bow, or grab something out of the magic side, either the chakrams or the staff. Choices, choices.

Also, and im sure this information is somewhere, but how does the save system work? Can I manually save anywhere? Can I have multiple save profiles so I can create and play with multiple builds? Just curious as every game seems to do it differently.

You can manually save anywhere at any time. There are also quicksaves/quickload.

Cheech

Avoids negative brand associations folks might throw at Reckoning had they gone with Skyrim meets God of War idea. Thats good. I'd hate for them to think this was dude bro Skyrim with quick time events instead of what it is.

Yeah, it should be "Fable meets Chocobo Dungeon 2".

Just kidding. But this game reminds me of Fable above all else. I don't see any Skyrim or God of War DNA in this thing.

Yeah, it should be "Fable meets Chocobo Dungeon 2".

Just kidding. But this game reminds me of Fable above all else. I don't see any Skyrim or God of War DNA in this thing.

Yep, it's like Peter Molyneux, but without all the lies (or hyperbole if you're giving him the benefit of the doubt).

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| Papyrus! Rolling papyrus

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| You know you want me, baby

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| Cowabunga

Kingdoms Of Amalur: Reckoning |OT| Taxed Enough Already

Oh, that Ken Rolston.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Photobucket needs to be banned. The amount of bandwidth reserved for hotlinked images is minuscule when aligned with the amount of traffic GAF threads receive.

Edit: Not punishable, but banned, a la Tinypic. Sorry, got my wires crossed for a split second there. :p

ParityBit

There is no loot gathering in either Skyrim or God of War. So you have to add Diablo to the list also. Then again, it's not like Skyrim did anything major new, so you could say Skyrim is like Fallout with the perk system .... We could do this all day.

gogojira

Excellent OT, minus the whole broken image thing. :p Can't believe this game is coming out Tuesday, I really need to wrap up Skyrim so I can dedicate my gaming time to Amalur.

I always entertain the idea of going down various paths for my character, but inevitably I'll end up doing some form of bow shooting, dual-wielding path. Based on what people are seeing in the skill trees, is a build with a long sword and bow a viable path? I'm guessing that would take me down the might/finesse fate line.

Then again, those faeblades are pretty bad ass.

scy

So I decided to take a look at Might/Finesse:

Blademaster 56 Might / 67 Finesse

Since the Destiny bonus is Piercing AND Ranged damage, feels right to get Dagger/Faeblade + Longbow. Get to use the Poison synergy I like from Finesse/Sorcery and we get to add Might's stun synergy. That said, I'm worried about casting costs here since Quake + Aftershock is 96 Mana to get the stun off component off. -70% from sustained abilities really hurts it there and I'm only looking at 1/5 Quake (5/5 Aftershock feels necessary to max out Stun% ... plus it's hard to move up the tree without it).

Active Skills:
Shield Bash
Quake
Harpoon
Technically, Shadow Flare is in the build I guess.

Sustained:
Battle Frenzy (-30%)
Envenomed Edge (-25%)
Blade Honing (-15%)

On another note, why is Envenomed Edge more upkeep than Blade Honing? :/

moop1167

Anyone know if there is gear, um, geared toward hybrid type classes? In the demo it seemed that there were three distinct types for each path, with appropriate bonuses. If I decide to go sorcery/might, should I expect gear with high armor with bonus HP and mana? I don't really know how it works.

jkoch

I've seen several people on other forums say that Reckoning "feels like Dragon Age 2." Do any of you think that it does? To me, these people either have no sense of nuance or they're just trying to pan Reckoning by comparing it to a bad game.

Macstorm

Anyone know if there is gear, um, geared toward hybrid type classes? In the demo it seemed that there were three distinct types for each path, with appropriate bonuses. If I decide to go sorcery/might, should I expect gear with high armor with bonus HP and mana? I don't really know how it works.

I don't know about armor sets, but you can mix and match and be fine. Best of both worlds. Find an awesome robe? Use it. Get some sweet armor? Swap it out. I'm doing a perfect jack-of-all-trades build, so I can use anything.

Top Bottom