• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

At least thirteen dead as van hits crowds in Barcelona

h1nch

Ugh, heartbreaking to see this happen to one of the great cities on this planet.

When I was there I stayed mere blocks from La Rambla.

Still not canceling my October Eurotrip, you terrorist fucks.

Audioboxer

Good analysis.

I think most people can get together on the male stats. They're hard to ignore. I know the details around why they get radicalised will be debated, as I've had people debate me before saying martyrdom isn't a thing in Islam. It's always about who is preaching what though, and we have generations of history as to how vocal voices or powerful voices can use religion and passages in books to radicalize and encourage ways of thinking. The Bible belt in America to this day still uses the Bible to try and fight against anything LGBT or women's rights. Whereas everyone probably knows of some Christian women who are fierce advocates for LGBT and women's rights. The point there being yes, there is always loads of examples of reasonable, kind and caring religious people.

The fundamentalists use religion and religious texts as their tools in spreading their hate and ideologies. It's the men, often younger ones, who the routinely seem to get caught up in believing it all. Or should I say acting on it. Maybe some women do believe it all too, but why aren't they acting out like the men do? Well, some could probably point out when it comes to the most dangerous ideologies most seem to be built by men for men. The women are routinely abused the worst under the worst ideologies. Again, male power tripping and reaching for control over everything in their paths.

As for what do we do? Well I think most Governments and intelligence services already know and think a lot of the above. They are trying to focus on ways to either help educate young men, or if need be target them to stop them acting out. All they would need to do is look at their own watch lists and how they will probably be majority male. The white supremacists and Neo-Nazis in America are a bit more open in their displays, and we all know if you look through pictures from their events it's still nearly exclusively males.

mrkgoo

Well obviously no, that would be cruel. But the fear that terrorism causes in people who will visit place X in a few months is irrational and the probability of a attack happening is still relatively low, as morbid as it sounds, but people who are not affected by this directly should not put their life on hold because of it.

Most statistical posts here are aimed towards concerned people fearing they will die during their vacation.

part of it comes from the ability to not put yourself in such situations where the worry may be warranted.

For example, people get killed crossing the road every day. Doesn't mean you should ignore accident prone areas, walk across busy intersections without care, or even walk across any road without care.

condolences to the victims and their families.

so they fucked up the second attack by flipping the vehicle and getting blasted by police. They practice their attack on PUBG?

seriously though glad the second one was stopped, i'm travelling their next week.

mario_O

Another terror attack in Cambrils, also in Catalonia. Apparently police shot five terrorist: four dead and one wounded. Terrorist were wearing explosives vests, and ran over five people with a vehicle, two of them are in critical condition.

Vehicles and pedestrians do not mix. Still do not understand how or why barricades or retractable bollards are not installed in popular tourist areas. Seems like a no brainer and the technology a;ready exist. They also do not have to look intrusive either.

Audioboxer

Vehicles and pedestrians do not mix. Still do not understand how or why barricades or retractable pontoons are not installed in popular tourist areas. Seems like a no brainer and the technology a;ready exist. They also do not have to look intrusive either.

It costs a fair bit of money to set them up across all cities. I think it's also a sad scene of the times that everyone needs reminded when they congregate in social and public areas that all these eyesore concrete blocks and things are there because their society is getting attacked.

That's not me saying I don't support them being in place. If they can save lives or prevent attacks it's a no brainer. It is just sad to see them have to go up in 2017, and yes, taxpayer money has to get diverted from other "more important" things to terrorism.

Another terror attack in Cambrils, also in Catalonia. Apparently police shot five terrorist: four dead and one wounded. Terrorist were wearing explosives vests, and ran over five people with a vehicle, two of them are in critical condition.

Shit, really? I've been too busy writing feelings above than following the news. Different terrorist cell or linked to earlier?

Edit: On BBC http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-40971004

Vehicles and pedestrians do not mix. Still do not understand how or why barricades or retractable bollards are not installed in popular tourist areas. Seems like a no brainer and the technology a;ready exist. They also do not have to look intrusive either.

You still need to be able to deliver goods to all those shops and restaurants

mario_O

Shit, really? I've been too busy writing feelings above than following the news. Different terrorist cell or linked to earlier?

I don't know. But I imagine it's all linked. It looks like a big op was planned. There was also a huge gas explosion yesterday, also linked to the terrorists. Possibly something went wrong and the terrorists blew themselves up.
It could've been much much worse. Thank god.

Isotropy

AI vehicles cannot happen soon enough. I say this on the assumption that hacking then would be beyond these human garbage dumps.

Zyae

It's important to remember that isis doesn't plan this stuff in some big apparatus. People get radicalized commit these acts than isis claims responsibility. It's a fear tactic

AI vehicles cannot happen soon enough. I say this on the assumption that hacking then would be beyond these human garbage dumps.

Sadly it won't help with trucks and vans because blue collar workers would never be up for AI cars. They go for cheap affordable vans and cars you can easily rent without ID.

That's why most of this happens, because they're always renting them for "business" sadly doing it this way is the easiest possible way ever and the cheapest for them. It's fucked up at how easy they can achieve what they want without little to no planning needed.

Isotropy

Sadly it won't help with trucks and vans because blue collar workers would never be up for AI cars. They go for cheap affordable vans and cars you can easily rent without ID.

That's why most of this happens, because they're always renting them for "business" sadly doing it this way is the easiest possible way ever and the cheapest for them. It's fucked up at how easy they can achieve what they want without little to no planning needed.

When I say "can't come soon enough", I'm referring to the inevitable future where it is actually no longer legal for a human to drive a dangerous vehicle. It won't happen soon, but it will happen. And we'll be much safer.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
But pretending it didn't happen wasn't?

What's your point? This is what happens with death in general. People move on, except for the closest to the person who died. It's not about pretending it didn't happen. I find it fascinating that you read a post that was well intended (read it again while taking a step back) and you thought "I must act superior and snarky about it". Well congrats on your internet points I guess.

Crazy there was another attack and this thread stayed cold for hours.
GAF has its priorities and Spain being attacked twice ain't one of them.

Kain

So, to summarize:

- Explosion in Alcanar, Tarragona (100 km away from BCN approximately) on wednesday, the first reports said it was a drug lab and some gas container exploded by accident. One dead, one injured. I remember hearing it in the news and not give it much thought. They were in fact fabricating bombs.

- A rented van rammed pedestrians in what's the biggest, more crowded street in BCN, at its core. The terrorist that did it escaped and he's still at large. 13 dead, 100 injured, mostly tourists.

- A second van confiscated in Vic (50 kms away from BCN), no explosives.

- Some guy ran over the cops on a police control in the outskirts of BCN. I think they killed the guy but I'm not sure he was related to this.

- A car with five terrorists tried to emulate the attack in BCN in Cambrils, hugely tourist place in Tarragona (100 km away from BCN). They injured 5 people but the police killed all five of them. Luckily this attack was stopped as these guys had the bombs.

- Now a train has been stopped in Garraf (20 km away from BCN) by order of the police, so there might be something going on now.

LQX

Terrible, condolences. In hindsight, N.Y.C putting up barriers and banning vehicles in certain areas was a great move though many bitched at the time.

So, to summarize:

- Explosion in Alcanar, Tarragona (100 km away from BCN approximately) on wednesday, the first reports said it was a drug lab and some gas container exploded by accident. One dead, one injured. I remember hearing it in the news and not give it much thought. They were in fact fabricating bombs.

- A rented van rammed pedestrians in what's the biggest, more crowded street in BCN, at its core. The terrorist that did it escaped and he's still at large. 13 dead, 100 injured, mostly tourists.

- A second van confiscated in Vic (50 kms away from BCN), no explosives.

- Some guy ran over the cops on a police control in the outskirts of BCN. I think they killed the guy but I'm not sure he was related to this.

- A car with five terrorists tried to emulate the attack in BCN in Cambrils, hugely tourist place in Tarragona (100 km away from BCN). They injured 5 people but the police killed all five of them. Luckily this attack was stopped as these guys had the bombs.

- Now a train has been stopped in Garraf (20 km away from BCN) by order of the police, so there might be something going on now.

Thank you, the coverage from local media is so shit...almost as they don't care. Maybe to not worry us because our government is not able to make some damn barricades on our biggest shopping streets, where I have to go to work btw. Think it's gross negligence to not have them now.

Cappa

Banned
Terrible, condolences. In hindsight, N.Y.C putting up barriers and banning vehicles in certain areas was a great move though many bitched at the time.
Barcelona also has its center heavily restricted with barriers in certain places.

Also many parts of Spain do have these automatic bollards that only people who are residents can make go down and/or if you ring and are a delivery person someone let's you in.

Protection in heavy pedestrian areas,at least in spain, is there but it's impossible to stop these things unless you completely restrict traffic which is near impossible even though certain cities like Valencia have made the center heavily traffic restricted(to the iré of many residents)
It's still pretty early in Europe, I suspect most people are asleep.
Yep when I fell asleep last night I saw none of this on Spanish news.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Anything that happens in the US, which is understandable given the amount of posters that are from there

Besides the fact that there are much more Americans on this forum and that what happens in US especially these days is more important to them, the second attack was reported during the night in Europe, so a lot of Europeans read about it in the morning. Still, there is a new thread about it even so.

My sister was in Cambrils this time last week on holiday.

This morning she posted an image of her 10 year old daughter, with some buildings in the background. Behind those buildings is where the second event took place.

Frightening.

Keasar

Fucking hell.
I had only heard about one casualty before I had to sleep yesterday and hoped that it wouldn't go higher. 13 people dead.

I read that luckily a second attack was stopped in another Spanish city.

My condolences to Spain. :(

RSP

My brother is in Barcalona atm. He was nowhere near the attack fortunately. That gave me quite the scare for a couple of minutes.

RIP

Ferr986

WTF at Cambrils attacks, that's close to where I live. Thanks god no one but the terrorists died. Hope shit doesn't escalate further :(

Patrick S.

Banned
Daesh craves attention. It's a hugely touristic country and Barcelona even more so. This serves as a propaganda amplifier and sends their message to countless countries and their citizens.

They also haven't forgotten that Spain, through Aznar's representation, was a firm supporter of the Iraq war. That has marked Spain as target ever since.

Galava

El País said:
Según las primeras investigaciones la célula terrorista que ha perpetrado los dos atentados la compondrían 12 personas, cinco muertos (los de Cambrils) y otros tres ya detenidos, faltarian 4 por tanto, incluido el conductor.

They seem to be a terrorist group/cell of 12 people.
5 killed
3 detained
Another 4 are still out there (this includes the driver)

RangerX

Banned
I'm surprised at how few pages this thread has. I guess people are just tired of negative news. I hope they catch the man who was driving the van before he's able to get out of the country.

Why should we accept it as the new norm?

Probably was said because it's very hard to tackle.

IRA or ETA who are trying to either reunite their land or become separate. The climate has changed for these organisations generally and more so since 911. IS is about taking over the world.

Top Bottom