• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: Witcher 3 design doc has leaked, which contains spoilers for the ending

R1CHO

Alpha reached on February 16th.

I will use spoiler tags, but is not a spoiler, just the state of the game, sounds great.

There are a lot of interesting things in the docs.

M03 - Alpha (Feature Complete) - 16.02.2014

SUMMARY

Fully functioning, full-featured core version of the game with main path story and plot quests for all characters completed and implemented. Content is still being developed, but design and feature set are locked. No known blockers are present, but random crashes, functional and cosmetic bugs may still occur.

Platform

The entire game can be played without progression blocking issues on PC, XBONE and PS4 although performance is expected to be worse on consoles. On any platform performance should not directly affect or disable Alpha build review.

So, ALPHA means that:

●Design is locked and all features must be implemented, but not necessarily bug free.
●All placeholder content is in the game for anything that doesn’t have final assets (including cines, etc.).
●The entire game can be played without progression blocking issues on all platforms.

manual4

Banned
reading the documents, they probably only delayed the game because of player base on the next gen consoles, most of the things were done by feb

Zushin

I haven't played any of the Witcher games so this is probably a dumb question - isn't the series based on a series of novels and therefore the ending should already be known?

It's based off the books (characters and the likes), but the games are their own story I believe (I've only played the games, not read the books, so not 100% sure).

These docs don't contain anything story related other than a list of every quest in the game. Only one quest that is described in full detail, and it is only a side one.

EDIT: Or not?
Edit 2: Yeah that seems to be it. I was incorrect. A list of story variables is in there, and one main quest.

Name of file

W3 Flashbacks Finalboard Storybook.xlsx

Thanks. From that file, can we guess how many possible endings? Second game has around 36 possible ones. Oh someone please post the scheme of Witcher 2 ending. I just got the game and I need to know what to do. If there is one for the first, I don't mind it too.

Edit: NVM: http://guides.gamepressure.com/thewitcher2assassinsofkingschoices/guide.asp?ID=11663

-1815156015.jpg

I hope Witcher 3 endings' plan will be more complex and will use both the first and second games' choices.

aborath

Neo Member
Glad that I decided to download the zip. Didn't hit upon any major spoilers, and the POI file makes it seem like there'll be lots to do in the world. I avoided any character-related files, and the ending--of course.

For anyone on the edge, I'd recommend going ahead and grabbing it while it's still up. Just avoid the obvious spoilers (e.g., "W3 FLASHBACKS FINAL Storybook"). Gives some neat insight into how games are made.

Shinta

Banned
I've had a bunch of games spoiled on GAF in OT threads where everything was supposed to be spoiler tagged, months before release. So, just avoid the threads, if you want my advice.

RazorUK

Pilot, your Titan is ready, prepare for Titanbombs
Glad that I decided to download the zip. Didn't hit upon any major spoilers, and the POI file makes it seem like there'll be lots to do in the world. I avoided any character-related files, and the ending--of course.

For anyone on the edge, I'd recommend going ahead and grabbing it while it's still up. Just avoid the obvious spoilers (e.g., "W3 FLASHBACKS FINAL Storybook"). Gives some neat insight into how games are made.

Yeah I've downloaded the file from the ZippyShare and its very interesting, lots of cool stuff.
Do avoid any of the character-related stuff. I opened one of the files which has a list of the main characters. Obvious spoilers, silly me!

Okay so some clarification on the plot spoilers included in this. I dug through it a little bit and as far as I can tell only the major quest names are given.
I spoiled myself, but without context it really is irrelevant.

Fractal

Banned
Hm... hope this gets forgotten quickly, without causing too much damage. The next few days could be ugly if people go spoiler-happy...

Well, curiosity bested me. Not the first time it happens.

The good news is that it will very hard for some troll to spoil you. This isn't a movie where someone can say "the main character marries the blond girl and the butler is the assassin". There isn't a canon ending in first place here. There are different endings and they are truly different, not red/blue/green.

aborath

Neo Member
Hm... hope this gets forgotten quickly, without causing too much damage. The next few days could be ugly if people go spoiler-happy...

Honestly, there aren't any major bombs aside from the ending--which you'll have little or no context for--and characters. Other than those two items, the worst you'll get is some sidequests spoiled. It's not that big of a deal, I don't think. It's not as bad as the ME3 script leak.

kd-z

Man, that sucks for CDPR. I really hope the game is in no way harmed by this.

Also, the guy who did this is apparently working on leaking stuff from more games? What an asshole.

Astery

Well, I was expecting proper design docs leaked so I can see how they do things and I can improve my own design docs.

I returned disappointed, there's basically nothing other than production schedules and stuff that have little to do with actual designs, too little meat here.

Denton

Well, curiosity bested me. Not the first time it happens.

The good news is that it will very hard for some troll to spoil you. This isn't a movie where someone can say "the main character marries the blond girl and the butler is the assassin". There isn't a canon ending in first place here. There are different endings and they are truly different, not red/blue/green.

U mad ?!

Wait, so are there actual description of endings, like what happens in each to various characters etc ? Because that would suck. Can't believe you would just spoil yourself like this. Thankfully my curiosity is less powerful than my desire for unspoilt experience.

The spoilers don't seem that bad. Even looking at the ending list, it's either too vague or it is obvious things that make me go "well yeah of course."

U mad ?!

Wait, so are there actual description of endings, like what happens in each to various characters etc ? Because that would suck. Can't believe you would just spoil yourself like this. Thankfully my curiosity is less powerful than my desire for unspoilt experience.
It's nothing so specific. It's barely above looking at a list of event flags.

Phazon

U mad ?!

I carefully read and chose the specific docs to not spoil myself and only took a look at some descriptions about the current state of the game, some concept art, the bestiary for the art of the monsters and ignored everything that could possibly spoil me a lot. :p

li bur

So without spoiling anything, could you guys who have read the document please tell us whether this game story is the second coming of shakespeare or Mass effect 3?

So without spoiling anything, could you guys who have read the document please tell us whether this game story is the second coming of shakespeare or Mass effect 3?

There's nothing in here that speaks to the quality of the story one way or the other.

Radogol

Well, I was expecting proper design docs leaked so I can see how they do things and I can improve my own design docs.

I returned disappointed, there's basically nothing other than production schedules and stuff that have little to do with actual designs, too little meat here.

There's a full design document for a major quest in there but it's in Polish.

Well, The Witcher has books so anyone could spoil even further than that, no? I don't get how this could be bad themn

This takes place after the books. But nothing in there is a big deal when it comes to spoilers, most of it is stuff anyone who beat the Witcher 2 would expect. It's not something CDPR needs to worry about.

Ugh, the didnt deserve this, hope is nothing to major and they can continue without problems.

Well, The Witcher has books so anyone could spoil even further than that, no? I don't get how this could be bad themn

The books is the story before the game. Thats why so many people are recomending the books, because the important new characters to the games in TW3 appear in the books extensively (Yeneffer and Ciri).

Top Bottom