• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone: Shadow Fall Multiplayer Runs at 960x1080 vertically interlaced

How did DF not catch this?

The day we actually ditch DF for comparisons and actually get someone, with proper knowledge about these things, and instead of writing long ass articles with a bunch of crap just give us bulletpoints and graphics with framerates and other relevant data, is going to be great.
But unfortunately, we're stuck with them.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
@EC, I dont understand

You said:

Proves how meaningless resolution is until someone tells people what it is

The purpose of resolution is to increase sharpness and clarity of an image. Folk playing Shadow Fall's multiplayer noted that the image quality appeared blurrier than normal for a native 1920x1080 resolution. They were unable to discern why, and due to statements from Sony were under the impression the blurriness was a product of bad anti-aliasing solutions (FXAA is a known culprit for image quality blur) instead of actual pixel resolution. Now they know it's the latter, not the former.

And since they had already noted that the image quality was blurry, and the reason for that image quality is resolution, then resolution is not "meaningless".

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
A "resolution doesn't matter as long at its fun" post for a PS4 game. The generation is truly doomed.

Everything I thought I knew was a lie.

iOL4D6upJBTdQ.gif

TheLight

This makes me feel like developers shouldn't accommodate to the cries for 60 fps or higher than 30 framerates. Gamers ask for it, Guirella attempts to deliver, resolution not high enough in turn, boom scandal.

I think they listened TOO much.

flkraven

What the hell is this? a subtle way of saying Sonygaf?

No. That is what you are seeing. I am saying the gaming community as a whole.

Titanfall's multiplayer resolution has been counted various times through the alpha and the beta. We have known it's resolution every step of the way. On the other hand, Sony has an exclusive first-person shooter of its own, one of its few first-party launch titles, yet it takes us 3.5 months to figure this out.

I just feel that so much focus has been centered on Microsoft where clearly some things are slipping by on the Sony side.

We need a direct feed non-promo shot of the MP. Seems like no one even bother with MP for this game cause it's really hard to find any.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
with so many sony insiders on this board, i'm surprised none of them caught wind of this.

The reason no one noticed is because the hight is still 1080 and it is sorta alternating parts of frames to give the effect of full 1080p. when you look at a game that is sub 1080p it has to be upscaled on both hight and width. Killzone isn't really doing any upscaling so the final outcome is something that looks 1080p but with something off about it. It makes perfect sense that no one noticed.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
with so many sony insiders on this board, i'm surprised none of them caught wind of this.

The weirdest part is that Leadbetter clearly talked to GG about this when he visited the studio and wrote the tech article on the game but didn't include it until today's article.

Someone wanna pixel count these?

5x1.png

7x1.png

Not sure if they are capture card or PS4 share button

1280X720

xb1 wins again

The weirdest part is that Leadbetter clearly talked to GG about this when he visited the studio and wrote the tech article on the game but didn't include it until today's article.

I have said this before, and I will say this again. Amateurs on this board, would do a better job noticing graphical techniques, resolution, etc... than DF does.

I wish. I haven't touched the MP yet, because single player other things, but I would happily take 30fps because that is Killzone's normal framerate if it allowed 1080p. I am absolutely serious about that. Especially since it doesn't seem to be locked at 60fps anyway.

Then again, Killzone 2 was the only MP FPS I ever really enjoyed, so maybe I'm just pining for that game again.
The multiplayer is really good. If you liked KZ2 you will like this (maybe not as much) and I agree I would like to have the native 1080 with 30fps. I dont think 60fps is needed for this game with how unstable it is at 60 anyway.

Pimpwerx

Doesn't MP normally look worse than SP in these games? I thought it was just normal. Had no idea it was upscaled. I see people calling it a blurry mess, but that's hardly true. It's blurrier than SP, but not jarring or anything. Pretty impressive for half resolution frames. But yeah, maybe people can stop talking about resolution now. It's really not the end of the world. PEACE.

Is there a console game out there that doesn't experience major drops? Never seen any mp game run at a constant framerate either.

Isn't an excuse, but seems par for the course.

Battlefield 4 has a lot more going on and it runs way better than KZ SF. Like someone said earlier, they probably made a last minute call to make it a 60 FPS game. they should have stuck with 30 FPS

HTupolev

The reason that pixel counters could have a hard time catching this is that the game uses temporal reprojection. The previous "960x1080" field is reprojected based on motion buffers and used in the next frame (alongside the current 960x1080 field), so in static imagery, you actually DO get a full 1920x1080 image. It's not "upscaled."

It just gets a bit flaky when the game is in motion. It's not going to look quite as clean as raw 1920x1080 renders, and of course things that don't get tracked nicely by the motion buffer (like small particles) and going to look like they've been shoved through an interlaced CRT.

Sort of a clever solution, and it arguably looks significantly cleaner most of the time than 720p-ballpark content, but I wouldn't personally call it "native 1080p."

Explains so much. I thought AA just turned to shit in multiplayer, much like how MLAA on ps3 varied wildly in results depending on implementation and the resources dedicated to it.

Shady shit, Guerrilla.

David___

Banned
eh? This is was most likely a rushed launch game. They could fix the resolution and the frame rate with a patch. I think they will fix one of two, let's wait :p
Just stings that after all of the hub-bub about resolution Sony/GG decided to stay silent during the whole thing.

This makes me feel like developers shouldn't accommodate to the cries for 60 fps or higher than 30 framerates. Gamers ask for it, Guirella attempts to deliver, resolution not high enough in turn, boom scandal.

Or maybe they could have lowered the bells and whistles a bit and actually pulled 60 fps off. Nintendo games were 60 fps, it's not like its some unreachable achievement. What they did is try to make shit look next gen fancy, safrificed performance, and lied about it.

kpaadet

No the point is you shouldn't accommodate the 1080p and/or 60fps crowd if you're only going to do it half-assed. Now Shadowfall MP is stuck between 1080p60fps reaching neither, GG only have themselves to blame.

VanWinkle

No. That is what you are seeing. I am saying the gaming community as a whole.

Titanfall's multiplayer resolution has been counted various times through the alpha and the beta. We have known it's resolution every step of the way. On the other hand, Sony has an exclusive first-person shooter of its own, one of its few first-party launch titles, yet it takes us 3.5 months to figure this out.

I just feel that so much focus has been centered on Microsoft where clearly some things are slipping by on the Sony side.

Resolution was counted because the developers and EA wouldn't say what the resolution was.

Someone wanna pixel count these?

5x1.png

7x1.png

Not sure if they are capture card or PS4 share button

Can't; those are 720p screenshots.

kz3.png

The res upscaling and interlacing is super obvious here. Like damn.

Since the interlacing occurs temporally, the artifacts appear some times as ghost dithered stuff from the previous frame. That must look really confusing in motion.

HORRORSHØW

I have to say, if this is really true, I will not buy another GG game for a long time if ever. I haven't touched the MP in the game, played SP and moved on to Don't Starve. There is no need to lie about resolution, or any details of your game for that matter. And since in the end it will all be revealed anyway it just makes you look stupid for doing it. I enjoyed the SP, but because of this I won't even bother looking at their new IP. It's time for companies to learn it's not good idea to lie to your customers. It might not matter much that I will not be buying their games, but I will feel good knowing that their next lie won't affect me.
i'm in agreement here. GG, and sony by extension, have lost some goodwill from me.

maneil99

kz3.png

Since the interlacing occurs temporally, the artifacts appear some times as ghost dithered stuff from the previous frame. That must look really confusing in motion.

That looks awful. Ew.

People thinking it was an AA issue doesnt negate the fact that the resolution was the issue and somehow it went unnoticed.

Most people can't tell the exact difference in pixels but they knew something is wrong .
They will see a image and say this look blurry it can't be 1080p but they believe GG and went with AA instead .
Point being people were able to tell you something is wrong just like normal people do but they don't know the reason why until you tell them .
The lesson here would be people should trust there self instead of the devs when they though it was upscale .

Just stings that after all of the hub-bub about resolution Sony/GG decided to stay silent during the whole thing.

who cares honestly? The game bombed hard. barely 3000 people playing it at any given time. last thing GG needs is more bad publicity after the reviews. i guess they just moved to the new ip

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
who cares honestly? The game bombed hard. barely 3000 people playing it at any given time. last thing GG needs is more bad publicity after the reviews. i guess they just moved to the new ip

Game didn't bomb in sales. It sold well over 2 million by now.

PBY

Banned
The game didn't bomb. I thought it sucked, but it sold well. Bet there are a lot of people like me who bought it off launch hype and haven't touched it in a while.

BPoole

What's with all these whack as resolutions on current gen consoles? Titanfall at 792p, The Order 1866 at 1920x800 and Killzone at 960x1080.

Zeppeli

Banned
LOL needs a beanie to make it truly current affairs :p

ps3ud0 8)
why do you sign your posts with your username and an emoticon

I wonder if this would look any better with a 1080i TV?

Top Bottom