• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy V out now for iOS.

Vamphuntr

All skills and spells now have an icon. Stuff like kick, cover and focus for instance have a unique icon but there is also an icon for blue magic (not sure if this was in the gba version). As such, if you have never played the game before and have no idea if the enemy is using a blue magic or not, now you can know since there is an icon next to it while the monster abilities don't have one. ie Goblin Punch has a blue magic icon next to it when cast by goblins.

No ATB for spell charging. Light orange -> bar is charging, Dark orange -> bar is full and you have yet to input a command, Green-> Command is waiting to be executed.

EDIT : And yeah, Diagonal walking/free walking isn't good for this game. I don't know the exact term since I'm not a dev but that game was build with a step by step approach regarding how you move around the world. Like you are stepping on invisible tiles to move and you can't moves outside of the tiles. The world is build as such that you will always be positioned properly to enter doors and stairs and that you can't get stuck in alcoves. With a full analog controls it becomes hard to go down stairs or enter doors since walls aren't always flat but you are also moving outside of the "invisble tiles". As such it's possible to be not positioned to enter door or stairs properly and get stuck against walls that aren't flat.

The Ship graveyard is annoying because of this since sometimes it's tricky to get on a pole.

I buy this, then all of a sudden decide to play FF4 ios lol. This always happens! Still dont get why people dislike the ds version. So nicely balanced and I love the look. It feels like a bizarro world where SE made FF games on n64.

I do fucking hate how SE has these dumb borders on the side for both games though. No issue with actual borders, but make them no distraction black, not this crap that makes it obvious that they couldn't bother making it work at the right aspect ratio for iphone 5.

bluemax

Banned
All skills and spells now have an icon. Stuff like kick, cover and focus for instance have a unique icon but there is also an icon for blue magic (not sure if this was in the gba version). As such, if you have never played the game before and have no idea if the enemy is using a blue magic or not, now you can know since there is an icon next to it while the monster abilities don't have one. ie Goblin Punch has a blue magic icon next to it when cast by goblins.

No ATB for spell charging. Light orange -> bar is charging, Dark orange -> bar is full and you have yet to input a command, Green-> Command is waiting to be executed.

EDIT : And yeah, Diagonal walking/free walking isn't good for this game. I don't know the exact term since I'm not a dev but that game was build with a step by step approach regarding how you move around the world. Like you are stepping on invisible tiles to move and you can't moves outside of the tiles. The world is build as such that you will always be positioned properly to enter doors and stairs and that you can't get stuck in alcoves. With a full analog controls it becomes hard to go down stairs or enter doors since walls aren't always flat but you are also moving outside of the "invisble tiles". As such it's possible to be not positioned to enter door or stairs properly and get stuck against walls that aren't flat.

The Ship graveyard is annoying because of this since sometimes it's tricky to get on a pole.

That's because the game was built around 4 way, tile based movement. Everything is designed with this in mind, so making it 8 way movement can cause things to get screwy.

Noema

I buy this, then all of a sudden decide to play FF4 ios lol. This always happens! Still dont get why people dislike the ds version. So nicely balanced and I love the look. It feels like a bizarro world where SE made FF games on n64.

I love FFIV DS. It's a reinterpretation of the game, and I like your take on it as a bizarro parallel FFIV that existed in a different continuity with Square making N64 games.

I guess some purists were dissapointed because it's so different from the original FFIV, but we have the GBA version for that (warts and all). But I rather prefer FFIV DS to the dumbed down PSP version, as pretty as that one might be.

Goli

I don't know what's going on lol. Got to first town. Now what :/

It's been a while since I've been stuck in a game this early.

You have to go to the big house in the middle of the town to get a key to open the gates to the canal.

Anyway, apparently the game's doing really well! It's currently the second top grossing app (first spot is Puzzle and Dragons) in Japan, and the best selling game, it did peak as the best selling app and top grossing one at some point though. Elsewhere it hasn't managed to get to number one, but it is within the top 100 best selling apps as well as the top grossing ones in several countries. The game seems to be selling specially well in the eastern countries of Asia like Taiwan or South Korea.

oooh got it! I can already kinda see the appeal of grinding out jobs for abilities. The story is pure nonsense though. I assume you unlock more classes later too? Is it only through story reasoning, or can classes promote through leveling 1 class to get another class, or 'drops' from bosses?

Goli

oooh got it! I can already kinda see the appeal of grinding out jobs for abilities. The story is pure nonsense though. I assume you unlock more classes later too? Is it only through story reasoning, or can classes promote through leveling 1 class to get another class, or 'drops' from bosses?

You only get new jobs by going through the storyline, but each job does get new abilities as you increase its job level. The fun thing is mixing the abilities you learn with jobs that wouldn't be able to use them otherwise, like having a monk capable of casting black magic for example.

KiTA

Oh, heh, I need to stop refreshing the Google Play store. The Android release is in a few months.

Wow, scrolling's getting pretty choppy on large maps like towns. Playing on an iPad Mini. This isn't encouraging.

Update this, S-E. Do better if you're gonna charge $16.

Goli

So I'm pretty far into the game, up to
the merged world
and I'm pleased with it.
The monster sprites are seriously gorgeous, better than FFIVCC IMO, and the character sprites have grown on me. In fact, they seem like a more natural evolution of the 16-bit FF games than the ones in FFI/II & IVCC, those feel like something a little different now that I look at them, though that's not a bad thing either.

The game also seems to be getting more publicity than any other SE iOS game too, for example the game has actual displays in Japan:
BGxFm4zCMAEEYy5.jpg:large

as well as online ads in sites like Famitsu:
The game still appears to be selling well too, specially in Japan, Taiwan and Hong Kong.

BriBri

I figure this is the thread to ask: I need help in killing Neo Exdeath. He keeps exterminating my poor little warriors:(

Link Man

Banned
I figure this is the thread to ask: I need help in killing Neo Exdeath. He keeps exterminating my poor little warriors:(

-Shell and Haste help a lot.
-Focus on killing the lower front portion first, as that is what casts Almagest. Also, the rear portion casts Meteor, but can be taken out by Odin (when spawned from the Magic Lamp).
-If one piece is left alone, it gains all attacks of the other four pieces. Therefore, try to go for a balanced approach in taking out the last two pieces.
-Also, a chemist can double everybody's HP (!Mix Dragon Fang and Elixir), which is useful.

Good luck!

BriBri

-Focus on killing the lower front portion first, as that is what casts Almagest. Also, the rear portion casts Meteor, but can be taken out by Odin (when spawned from the Magic Lamp).
-If one piece is left alone, it gains all attacks of the other four pieces. Therefore, try to go for a balanced approach in taking out the last two pieces.
-Also, a chemist can double everybody's HP (!Mix Dragon Fang and Elixir), which is useful.

Good luck!
Thanks Link Man! I'll try again tomorrow. I'm determined to kill him as this is the only Nintendo mainline FF I haven't beat yet!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just bought it and despite all the bitching I think the port is fine. Backdrops and monsters look great, and even the character sprites are crisp and clean. Don't really find any of it unappealing or offensive. The Amano portraits do confuse when compared to the character sprites, but I like the inclusion nonetheless.

It's probably not the remake/port people want, but its certainly more palpable in person than any of the previous screens give off in the thread. I am happy to try out the Four Job Fiesta without tracking down a GBA and a copy of the game.

Playing on a Mini and still early in so I'm not too sure about any slowdown comments in larger zones, haven't gotten far enough in yet.

Ourobolus

Banned

Good luck!

Don't forget you can Break/Shoat/Catoblepas the bottom part.

Goli

Just bought it and despite all the bitching I think the port is fine. Backdrops and monsters look great, and even the character sprites are crisp and clean. Don't really find any of it unappealing or offensive. The Amano portraits do confuse when compared to the character sprites, but I like the inclusion nonetheless.

It's probably not the remake/port people want, but its certainly more palpable in person than any of the previous screens give off in the thread. I am happy to try out the Four Job Fiesta without tracking down a GBA and a copy of the game.

Playing on a Mini and still early in so I'm not too sure about any slowdown comments in larger zones, haven't gotten far enough in yet.

Playing on a 4S and I have experienced "slowdown", though I wouldn't really call it that... it's more like the game skips a few frames in some areas (I recall Karwen had this).

quick question... does it matter which is which? like do the characters have 'base stats' or will they all have the same stats if they are all the same jobs?

Link Man

Banned
quick question... does it matter which is which? like do the characters have 'base stats' or will they all have the same stats if they are all the same jobs?

The princesses have better magic, and Bartz has better strength, I believe. But it's a tiny difference in comparison to job-specific stat bonuses.

I guess it came off a bit ranty when I posted it the other night, but it's very noticeable on my Mini in towns. It can actually be a bit jarring.

It just makes the port seem poorly coded. I can live with the somewhat uninspired visual update, but at least make it a solid port performance-wise if you're charging $16 for it.

Also I'm beginning to want an option to turn off 8-way movement.

VertPin

ibicim2Nf44Fw7.PNG

Look at those meteor tiles.
None of them are even remotely close to matching up.

Did they even TRY?

LOOOOL. Glad I didn't buy this. Will continue my grind fest in FFIV to get to 99. SE, when you remake a known masterpiece, please actually update it. I'd rather play the ps1 version.

Why do people actually give them money for this kind of crap

"Oh hey, they released this remake but clearly took the easy route for a cash grab and made the game look like crap and used this terribly unfitting font again! DAY 1 PURCHASE"

PKrockin

ibicim2Nf44Fw7.PNG

Look at those meteor tiles.
None of them are even remotely close to matching up.

Did they even TRY?
Hot damn, before I read the text in your post I honestly thought someone had photoshopped that character in and I was staring at it wondering what the joke was. Talk about conflicting art style.

Why do people actually give them money for this kind of crap

"Oh hey, they released this remake but clearly took the easy route for a cash grab and made the game look like crap and used this terribly unfitting font again! DAY 1 PURCHASE"

The sad thing is, it probably did have some effort put into it... but probably by new hires or interns... with questionable tastes in visuals.

The sad thing though is this is quite possible the last time we will ever see a remake/update of FF5.

Silvawuff

At least there's a pattern of SE dropping the price of past iOS releases when a new one comes out...so when VI launches eventually, this one will probably drop to a more reasonable price for its quality.

Goli

So today I finally beat this. I have to say I'm quite pleased with this version, I just wish the characters' sprites were drawn at a higher resolution but I guess they had to stick with what we got in order for it to support 3GS iPhones. Besides that I did experience some weird moments where it became a little choppy in a few towns for seemingly no reason at all, but otherwise everything's good. Also, the monster sprites are so incredibly gorgeous! I took pictures of the final boss for the curious here and here.
Bahamut's sprite is probably the best one in the series so far too:
Something that caught my attention during the credits was this:
So not only did Kazuko Shibuya re-do all the character sprites but apparently she handled the whole game's art direction (for this version, I don't know about the original one). So if anyone's unhappy with how it looks, you know who to blame. Personally I think the game looks fine, but it definitely could have looked better had they left out compatibility for older iOS devices.

I still have the extra dungeon/Enuo to beat, and I have 46 out of 96 achievements unlocked. I honestly can't imagine what the 50 achievements I've yet to get have you do since I've already done pretty much everything, but oh well.

JeTmAn81

I have been playing through the Android version of this and really enjoying it. I don't understand why everyone hates the art style so much, I like it just fine.

Cathcart

Bought this last year but just got around to playing it recently.

So Liquid Flame is kicking my butt. I think it could be because I keep switching jobs around to try them out so most of them are still level 1 or 2. My party is at level 14 and it seems like I just get one shot a lot. I guess I should grind up a bit? What's a good level to be at for that fight?

Link Man

Banned
Bought this last year but just got around to playing it recently.

So Liquid Flame is kicking my butt. I think it could be because I keep switching jobs around to try them out so most of them are still level 1 or 2. My party is at level 14 and it seems like I just get one shot a lot. I guess I should grind up a bit? What's a good level to be at for that fight?

No need to level, really, just pace yourself. The boss counters after every time you hit, so heal after the counters. If you need a few turns to heal, let it stay in its tornado form; it will only heal itself with fire, and that form will quickly run out of MP. Also, equipping ice rods will boost the effectiveness of Ice spells, so equip those if you're using mages.

Top Bottom