• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last Of Us Game Informer Details [Audio Design Interview]

Massa

Games are perfected in iteration, and sequels can grow in scope and quality because of assets and technologies being put in place already. The whole media industry relies heavily on franchises. It would be a poor business decision to green light the game with no chance of a sequel.

"Games" are not usually as narrative driven as this one is said to be. That's the conflict here.

Ricky_R

Well, this generation's sony seems to focus on variety and quality for their first party output so i guess this project just fits. Plus new ips are also welcome and open more possibilities in the future. I,m glad they greenlighted this game, and hope new ips come from other first party studios. They will find their AAA game sooner or later.

I'm also glad they green lighted it. I just found it curious because they are one of Sony's Aces when it comes to sales and popularity this gen. Would've expected something more Uncharted-ish from them if Sony were pressuring them, which apparently is not the case.

Neiteio

The blood needs to be dark red. Too many games strive for realism and then muck it up with glowing neon red blood. Also, lots of flies around the corpses. It would be a nice touch, in the scene with Joel and Ellie around all the bodies presumably shot by the military, if they held their hands over their noses and mouths to block out the smell, much like how Drake auto-shielded his face from heat sources in Uncharted 2.

People getting insta-executed on the spot if found with signs of infection is fucked up. I bet that will make for some chilling moments, people begging for their lives, a gunshot, a gurgle, silence....

Sky_Blue

Neo Member
They are legitimate questions. One tells us whether this game is planned to be part of a larger overarching story, while the other question tells us whether there will be a multiplayer component, which is, y'know, kind of a big deal!

They are, but it always annoys me when people talk of sequels before the first game is even out, or in this case before anyone outside of a certain gaming publication has even seen the game in action.

On a similar note, the worst thing any dev can ever say about their game is "Actually, this game is just the first part of a trilogy." (I am aware of course that ND did not say this about Last of Us), if the first part fails, what happens to the rest of the story? What happens to the 'amazing' over-arching narrative then? Story-heavy games should always be designed to be self-contained and complete because your studio could be dead in the water before you get the chance to finish the series. See the debacle of Dyak and Too Human for an example of this (who aren't technically dead but are at least creatively bankrupt).

StuBurns

Banned
"Games" are not usually as narrative driven as this one is said to be. That's the conflict here.
The story doesn't have to be at all related, but the brand name has to be viable for iteration. It could be more like a BioShock/Final Fantasy style IP, where the games share some fundemental game design things, but are basically just exchanging a director's name with a franchise name. A better example might be CoD really, there are some 'sequels', but the sales aren't really affected by if the games are related or not.

prwxv3

I'm also glad they green lighted it. I just found it curious because they are one of Sony's Aces when it comes to sales and popularity this gen. Would've expected something more Uncharted-ish from them if Sony were pressuring them, which apparently they aren't.

Inb4 "Sony forced Naughtydog to make the first Uncharted like it is"

Anyway these details look great. I am kind of glad the infected are encountered less then humans. It could make encounters with them more special. And if they have multiple horrifying typs of infected that would make it more special as well.

Neiteio

They are, but it always annoys me when people talk of sequels before the first game is even out, or in this case before anyone outside of a certain gaming publication has even seen the game in action.

On a similar note, the worst thing any dev can ever say about their game is "Actually, this game is just the first part of a trilogy." (I am aware of course that ND did not say this about Last of Us), if the first part fails, what happens to the rest of the story? What happens to the 'amazing' over-arching narrative then? Story-heavy games should always be designed to be self-contained and complete because your studio could be dead in the water before you get the chance to finish the series. See the debacle of Dyak and Too Human for an example of this (who aren't technically dead but are at least creatively bankrupt).
Even though I may have sounded like I was calling you out, I agree. And frankly I'm happy to see this game is being made to stand all on its own.

Loudninja

I think the infected really will be a mystery they are no talking about them at all.

The world where the infected exist humans are the main enemies, I really like that.

Well, I wouldn't say that entirely.

Generally one game isn't a new IP that needs long term support and keeps the team busy for the near to mid term future.

I definitely believe that there will be sequels, but Bruce was trying to make the point that this story will be able to stand on its own. It isn't going to end as some expect where it obviously leads into a sequel. The sequel could star different characters in a completely different part of the country or world.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I definitely believe that there will be sequels, but Bruce was trying to make the point that this story will be able to stand on its own. It isn't going to end as some expect where it obviously leads into a sequel. The sequel could star different characters in a completely different part of the country or world.

Right, I agree there.

Plus, it's a bad idea to do that with a new IP regardless, since generally you don't know if you're guaranteed a sequel yet, given that games are quite expensive to make and sequels that aren't surefire bets are hard to get greenlit.

StuBurns

Banned
I wonder how much you will be fighting in this game. A big complaint about UC was Drake kills hundreds of people, and he's a murderer, but depicted as a loveable rogue. They've gone out of their way to say gun fights will be greatly reduced, and Joel is a get it done killer doing what he must. Seems like it might be a response to the UC criticisms.

At this point, I'm just very excited to see a gameplay trailer.

Massa

The story doesn't have to be at all related, but the brand name has to be viable for iteration. It could be more like a BioShock/Final Fantasy style IP, where the games share some fundemental game design things, but are basically just exchanging a director's name with a franchise name. A better example might be CoD really, there are some 'sequels', but the sales aren't really affected by if the games are related or not.

I don't believe they need to carry the name to a brand new game at all. For example Rockstar took a lot of lessons from GTA IV and applied to Red Dead Redemption, and they didn't need the GTA to sell millions and millions of copies (and it goes without saying that Red Dead Revolver had nothing to do with it). They wrote new characters, a new universe and used it in a different brand and it worked wonderfully.

If this game is about the developing relationship between two characters then it's really a story that doesn't lend itself into sequels, and restricting your future games to the same universe doesn't sound very compelling either.

StuBurns

Banned
I don't believe they need to carry the name to a brand new game at all. For example Rockstar took a lot of lessons from GTA IV and applied to Red Dead Redemption, and they didn't need the GTA to sell millions and millions of copies (and it goes without saying that Red Dead Revolver had nothing to do with it). They wrote new characters, a new universe and used it in a different brand and it worked wonderfully.

If this game is about the developing relationship between two characters then it's really a story that doesn't lend itself into sequels, and restricting your future games to the same universe doesn't sound very compelling either.
Rockstar is the brand name. I don't think Naughty Dog is, and I don't think Sony would risk finding out.

Dennis

Banned
Its the stated goal of all publishers everywhere to develop new IP into a franchise. This cannot possibly surprise anyone.

Most games fail commercially or just about break even so when something like Assassins Creed or Uncharted: Nathan Drake Mass Murder Simulator makes it big, its all hands on deck and pump out those sequels!

Sky_Blue

Neo Member
Its the stated goal of all publishers everywhere to develop new IP into a franchise. This cannot possibly surprise anyone.

Indeed, and that's something that's always bugged me - the way that a new announced game can't just be a 'game' it has to be an IP or in other words something they can endlessly milk with spin-offs, action figures, lunchboxes and even heaven forbid, movies.

I don't mean to sound bitter it's just that I've been playing games since the old days of the Spectrum in the 80's and this kind of nonsense was non-existant back then!

Really really excited about the limited ammo comment. If they can do a good job with the damage output and making you feel like one well placed shot can really make a difference than its going to add a whole new level of tension that I haven't felt in any game since RE-4

delta25

Banned
I think the infected really will be a mystery they are no talking about them at all.

The world where the infected exist humans are the main enemies, I really like that.

reality at its finest, and I agree it sounds fucking awesome.

Oh I cant wait for this game.

Neiteio

I wonder how much you will be fighting in this game. A big complaint about UC was Drake kills hundreds of people, and he's a murderer, but depicted as a loveable rogue. They've gone out of their way to say gun fights will be greatly reduced, and Joel is a get it done killer doing what he must. Seems like it might be a response to the UC criticisms.
The clash between Drake the cold-blooded killer and Drake the lovable everyman was the only off-putting aspect about UC2, even with the "dude it's a pulp" caveat. (It's handled a lot better in UC3, for what it's worth.) To take that level of characterization, and have it match with the gameplay this time (I.E. Joel is depicted as a brutal man -- and you play him as such) could make this a truly exceptional title in terms of storytelling. ND has had the character-building down pat for awhile now. It's just a matter of lining it up with the gameplay so there's no cognitive dissonance taking you out of the experience.

I'm really eager to see a gameplay trailer as well. The screens don't look too impressive, in and of themselves, but then again the same could be said for UC. The real magic is when you see it in motion, the leaves swaying, the dust sifting, lighting glinting and shimmering off of every surface. ND is god-like when it comes to environmental degradation/reclaimation, so to have a whole game based in such a setting should be something.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

With RDR they've been pretty public about intending to make more sequels to it. They even refer to it as the "Red Dead franchise" in all of their fiscal reports, including the newest.

They even talk about L.A. Noire as a new franchise, and that was in a fiscal call to investors.

Edit:

Their plan is also to add one new IP they can iterate on per year.

Gamasutra said:
From his viewpoint, the company is investing a great deal of time and resources to nurture and curate a broad portfolio of high-level AAA titles, diverse but all of the same notable quality. It may take time to introduce and strengthen franchises like Mafia 2, Red Dead Redemption or Borderlands within a publishing slate that years ago was almost solely dominated by GTA, but the company expects that over time, a range of high-quality original IP will deliver the revenue stability investors have been seeking.

"Every year we're going to try to introduce at least one new IP that we hope over the long term will work well for us," Lewis concludes.
Source: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...er_Year_But_High_Quality_Needs_Ample_Time.php

That's for Take-Two as a whole to note though, not just Rockstar.

Neiteio

With RDR they've been pretty public about intending to make more sequels to it.

They even talk about L.A. Noire as a new franchise.
Wait, they plan to make a sequel to Redemption?

What could they even do in such a game? RDR covered every Wild West trope as is.

it's really hard to visualize how the game will turn out, the little bit pieces of info we got is really not enough. I don't want to let my imagination run wild about what kind of game it is just in case I'll be disappointed since the final game won't be what I'm imagining in my head.

like we know it's limited ammo, but how limited is it, is it so limited that you'll play most of the game with melee, or enough ammo that you'll be shooting dudes in mots confrontation. Resident Evil 1 also have fairly limited ammo compared to other game at the time, but you still end up with enough ammo in the end.

how about location based damage? shoot leg to disable enemies, I really want that in the game, then we got comment about one shot kill. it shouldn't kill if you shot their hands or feet. we also got comment that enemy can be afraid when they're losing the upper hand, or can get angry if their friend is killed. well my imagination tend to run wild and I'm already hoping that when we shoot enemies in non lethal location, then that guy's friends may want to try help him and run away instead of keep coming to me. that kind of thing.

or how about the stealth, can we drag bodies now like in Metal Gear etc.

so excited, but I need a more concrete picture of how the game will play to tamper my expectation.

Neiteio

It's true, it would be weird from an immersion standpoint if my bullet knicked a guy's finger and he, well, died.

This is how it should be in an infected post-apocalyptic world. The infected are just animals, they're predictable, usually dumb and probably can't shoot back, and you know you can kill one without remorse or hesitation if you see one. The humans are exactly opposite and thats why way more dangerous than the infected.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Wait, they plan to make a sequel to Redemption?

What could they even do in such a game? RDR covered every Wild West trope as is.

Well, Jeronimo Barrea is pretty much right below the Housers in the Rockstar corporate structure, and insists they have a lot of ideas, so I'm sure they'll think of something.

Also went back and added some links and additional statements since I felt people might want some sources.

Loudninja

This is how it should be in an infected post-apocalyptic world. The infected are just animals, they're predictable, usually dumb and probably can't shoot back, and you know you can kill one without remorse or hesitation if you see one. The humans are exactly opposite and thats why way more dangerous than the infected.
Yeah loving the sound of this.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Would be hilarious if this game out Resident Evils (in regards to being a survival game) modern Resident Evil

You just have to play a few rounds of Left4Dead to know that. The Griefing... the Griefing^^

The new info sounds great. Thanks Nirolak for getting this info early. Looking forward to seeing more screenshots/art from GI.

Joel reminds me of John Marston from RDR; a guy with a shady past trying to some good.

KingK

The details sound so good. I just need to see one gameplay video/trailer and I'll be ready for a media blackout.

StuBurns

Banned
What release date did they speculate?

EDIT: oh, just the 'late' 2012 I guess? Not exactly specific. Although I doubt it's this year personally.

mclaren777

• Everyone swears constantly during combat, especially Ellie. Expect to hear "motherfuckers", "fuck", "fuck face", and other such terms as often as you do in Battlefield 3, or perhaps even more.

I'm out.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
-Everyone swears constantly during combat, especially Ellie. Expect to hear "motherfuckers", "fuck", "fuck face", and other such terms as often as you do in Battlefield 3, or perhaps even more.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see at all what this adds to the game. Seems ultimately pointless and a way to bring in the teen/dudebro crowd. It makes absolutely no sense.

It reminds me of when the Prince of Persia went from The Sands of Time to the ridiculous sequel with the Prince swearing for no reason to try and draw in the "hardcore" crowd.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see at all what this adds to the game. Seems ultimately pointless and a way to bring in the teen/dudebro crowd. It makes absolutely no sense.

It reminds me of when the Prince of Persia went from The Sands of Time to the ridiculous sequel with the Prince swearing for no reason to try and draw in the "hardcore" crowd.

If ND sees enough of an uproar against the cursing they could simply change it. I personally think it seems a little much.

Atruvius

I think it would feel off if there weren't any swearing. It's a horrible, violent world so of course there will be cursing.

Kinyou

-The AI and game dynamic is explained a bit more. They want it to be like No Country For Old Men, so a single bullet will kill, but you have very few bullets to give it a "realistic" feel to the setting. The AI also uses a "balance of power" system, where they will stay in cover and try to flank you if you have a gun, but if they see you only have a melee weapon, they will rush you and try to overwhelm you with numbers. They also react based on other events that are happening. They get angry when their friends die, they warn each other when in danger, and they get frightened when they've lost the upper hand. Also, during combat you can do things like hitting people with a heavy object such as a thrown brick, which will stun them for a bit and let you get some melee hits in with something like a wood plank. This can also happen between the two characters, with Ellie throwing the brick to let Joel move in with the plank.

-The game has health packs and it takes time to use them, so the added lethality of your weapons goes both ways. This is to encourage you to avoid direction confrontation as much as possible.
amazingoakzw.gif

It's mostly during combat and actually I'd expect it to feel a bit more realistic. Like when a character gets hit on the head and just yells: "Fuck, that hurts!"

I'm also glad they green lighted it. I just found it curious because they are one of Sony's Aces when it comes to sales and popularity this gen. Would've expected something more Uncharted-ish from them if Sony were pressuring them, which apparently is not the case.

What would be more 'Uncharted-ish'. I think this game is definitely capable of selling as well as uncharted (which didn't start that strongly really).

It has been explained in this thread why the swearing makes perfect sense.

Its not swearing that has me worried, its whether they can make it sound natural. If any of the dialogue writers from Uncharted are working on it, I can't see there being a problem

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_

How does it not make sense? You are in a savage zone fighting for your life, swearing is just another way to calm your nerves and relieve some stress

Top Bottom