• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rose McGowan: Ben Affleck is Lying, he knew about Weinstein raping me and other women

jetsetrez

So how is Trump still allowed to be president?

All the while republicans (including Trump's dumbfuck son), are so gung-ho about pointing this out and concern-trolling liberal celebrities about why they aren't condemning it (which is just factually incorrect).. meanwhile nothing happens to the president of the fucking United States when he literally tells people he sexually harasses women..

All the while republicans (including Trump's dumbfuck son), are so gung-ho about pointing this out and concern-trolling liberal celebrities about why they aren't condemning it (which is just factually incorrect).. meanwhile nothing happens to the president of the fucking United States when he literally tells people he sexually harasses women..

Kellyanne is actually bitching how Hillary took 5 days to have a saying while it took Hillary 5 minutes to say about the shooting and NRA. She forgets Trump's a predator.

Aiii

So not worth it
I mean it is a thing. Especially early in ones career.

I mean just look at what Terry Crews said. He's not on the level of Ben, but he is well known. What happened to him only happened last year and he even didn't to speak out for those exact reasons.

It's shit that Ben knew. A lot of people knew. But I can't get mad at Ben for not saying anything after Rose told him. That's not his place especially if she didn't want it public.

It's kind of hard you know. Weinstein had all the power. Not just over the women, but over the men, too. You either didn't trash him publicly, or you were at great risk of being done in Hollywood. Ben Affleck and pretty much every actor/director was beholden to Weinstein's power over them.

And if the women aren't coming forward, how can they expect the men to do so in their stead? For one, it's not their place to oust someone else as a victim of rape. The only thing I blame Affleck for is his reaction, he should have been supportive and helped McGowan and the other women when they told him/he found out to report him. But even then, he's essentially telling her to potentially end her career and risking his own. That's hard.

When you have power like Weinstein had, well there's a reason he's been doing it for decades, all of Hollywood knew about it and yet nothing was ever revealed about it until now.

This is so fucking disgusting. If Quentin Tarantino knew about this shit and turned a blind eye it's going to destroy me.
9/10 chance everyone knew.
Not hard to believe considering how hard it is to speak out against abuse especially if it's systematic and the rationalizations people will go under to deflect responsibility and or guilt.

All of this is remarkably normal.

If you know someone who's been sexually harassed, you'd know it's not as simple as knowing giving you some kind of responsibility to speak out against it. Victims confide in you, and it's not your decision to make their story public.

It's still upsetting how this seems like one of those "secrets" everyone was in on. Weinstein's the focus now, but I'd probably be surprised to see how deep this casting couch rabbit hole of other producers and directors. A little over a month ago Joss Whedon's ex wife was talking about how he messed around her back with his staff, and there's been a lot of buzz around Bryan Singer for god knows how many years. I'm sure every single one of those people thought they were operating on a consensual 'you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours' basis. When you read some of the stories about Weinstein, they're full of references to how he thinks his proposals are "normal" and "how it works". When positions of power are involved like that, the line between consent, and pressure and intimidation can be real blurry. It's pretty much like the "implication" scene from Always Sunny.

Ozigizo

9/10 chance everyone knew, not hard to believe considering how hard it is to speak out against abuse especially if it's systematic and the rationalizations people will go under to deflect responsibility and nor guilt.

All of this is remarkably normal.

Without a doubt. A sexual predator who had the power to make or break your career, nobody was gonna say shit as long as money was involved.

Hollywood is an awful culture.

TDLink

If you know someone who's been sexually harassed, you'd know it's not as simple as knowing giving you some kind of responsibility to speak out against it. Victims confide in you, and it's not your decision to make their story public.

It's still upsetting how this seems like one of those "secrets" everyone was in on.

This is basically where I am on this right now. It's easy to froth at the mouth and be out for everyone's blood declaring they are guilty just by association, but this was definitely not an open secret as much as people think it was.

The "open secret" seems to have been they knew he was a lecherous creep who chased after women and they didn't much care since he took chances on a lot of films the big studios wouldn't.

It seems pretty clear most people were completely unaware of actual assault and rape. I mean you don't think someone like Meryl Streep would have spoken out before now if it was really so open?

I think there should still be evidence before someone's labeled as something, especially something as horrific and career ending as this. Obviously, Harvey is done. Some evidence has surfaced that Ben Affleck may be deserving of this wrath too. But it's certainly not because he didn't publicly talk about someone else's indiscretions he was made aware of -- there's a myriad of reasons people who did know the whole truth wouldn't have come forward.

I am sure the people who -actually- knew was an extremely small circle who probably did similar things. It already seems like Matt Damon and Russell Crowe were unintended casualties of people out for blood. I don't think we should be going on witch hunts with every major name in Hollywood. That's kind of assuming guilt rather than innocence. And despite whatever you hear, most people in Hollywood really aren't like this. The Harvey Weinsteins of the world are a minority. But you know, there's always a handful.

Ohh boy, if you think Tarantino is innocent in all this...

I totally wouldn't be surprised. Even moreso since he -is- in Harvey's inner circle. But again, it's one of those things where we should wait until some sort of evidence actually comes to light. Personally I've heard some crazy stories about Tarantino, but nothing remotely concerning sexual assault.

I like Rose, but what did you expect him to do? Is Ben Affleck somehow in a position of power to do anything about it?

What about all the others who knew but did nothing? Why is Affleck specifically an issue here.

I think it is apparent here that Weinstein had a great deal of power that meant you could publicly speak against him, but it'd destroy your career.

TDLink

What about all the others who knew but did nothing? Why is Affleck specifically an issue here.

I think it is apparent here that Weinstein had a great deal of power that meant you could publicly speak against him, but it'd destroy your career.

It wasn't going to destroy the career of people like Meryl Streep, Judi Dench, and George Clooney.

It's extremely more likely they just didn't know the whole truth and only knew he was lecherous (just as they've said).

Dead Man

The people in this thread saying oh Ben Affleck couldn’t say anything because he might not find work and couldn’t put bread on the table. What in the name of fuck are you talking about. That is the weakest excuse I’ve heard peddled by so many people at once in a while.

So you are holding all the Hollywood celebs to this level of behaviour?

Chindogg

Sexual deviants in Hollywood, who would've known?

I'm guessing it won't end with only Ben Affleck thrown in there.

Honestly it's not going to end Affleck or anyone who knew. Weinstein was one of the most powerful men in Hollywood up until very recently and everyone was afraid that he'd cripple their career for speaking out.

People forget that while actors have some clout, producers are the ones signing the paychecks. Weinstein is a vile, disgusting human being but there's a reason why he got away with it for so long with so many knowing about it.

DeathyBoy

Banned
It seems pretty clear most people were completely unaware of actual assault and rape. I mean you don't think someone like Meryl Streep would have spoken out before now if it was really so open?.

Can I stop you there.

You don't know Meryl Streep. You know the actress who goes in public and introduces a Joss Whedon speech on feminism. Joss who, years later, is revealed publically to have cheated on his wife with actresses he hired for his TV show.

My point is we don't know these people. They perform for us on screen, in interviews, and sporadically they spout politics or endorse charities. So saying "they'd speak out if they knew" implies familiarity which none of us have.

I know which of my friends would speak out on such a thing and which wouldn't, for Hollywood actors I'm guessing at best. Hence how Asia Argento signed the Polanski petition but was abused by Harvey - actors and actresses are more complex than their statements or perceptions suggest.

Affleck can be a drunk and a liar and a decent guy - these things are contradictory but humans aren't just simplistic concepts. Which makes guessing who knew/who did ridiculous because most people aren't that obvious.

Except Harvey. Dude screamed abusuve boss from every pore. Which made it an open secret his power protected.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Kellyanne is actually bitching how Hillary took 5 days to have a saying while it took Hillary 5 minutes to say about the shooting and NRA. She forgets Trump's a predator.
If anyone had balls they’d come out and say that whenever one of these surrogates tries to bring up Hillary or Obama response to this.

Foffy

Banned

Conservatives usually come out from bunkers to greet us back in reality when there's a real issue that they can blame others on.

They'll only come out when someone from the "other side" is at blame for ills they're likely at fault with, too..

KonradLaw

Wasn't Rose McGowan rumored to have gotten huge settlement for being silent? I hope Weinstein has at least enough sense to not go after her in court now.

Alienfan

So you are holding all the Hollywood celebs to this level of behaviour?

Not just Hollywood celebs, any of the victim's family members or partners. If you have any information relating to sexual assault you apparently have to make it public, with or without the victims blessings. I really don't get the outrage over Ben, if he didn't support the victim or was dismissive of their claims then that's a different story, but that doesn't sound like it's the case at all. He's supporting the victim after they've decided to go public, thats what anyone should do in this situation

Wasn't Rose McGowan rumored to have gotten huge settlement for being silent? I hope Weinstein has at least enough sense to not go after her in court now.

It's not a rumor, it's a thing that happened (her settlement, I don't know what the amount was), which I'm guessing is another part of why she wasn't willing to be so open about it until now.

Chindogg

Not just Hollywood celebs, any of the victim's family members or partners. If you have any information relating to sexual assault you apparently have to make it public, with or without the victims blessings. I really don't get the outrage over Ben, if he didn't support the victim or was dismissive of their claims then that's a different story, but that doesn't sound like it's the case at all.

Hoo boy nope nope nope.

Outing someone's victimhood publicly is arguably the worst things you can do as a human being. Completely violating their trust and potentially exposing them to further scrutiny.

That was pretty obvious sarcasm, I thought, given the following sentence.

Considering some of the responses here, it can be hard to tell sometimes.

Maridia

Hoo boy nope nope nope.

Outing someone's victimhood publicly is arguably the worst things you can do as a human being. Completely violating their trust and potentially exposing them to further scrutiny.

That was pretty obvious sarcasm, I thought, given the following sentence.

I feel so sorry for ms. McGowan and the other victims.

i do think that the vast majority of people in this world lack the fortitude to confront things like this head on, for a multitude of reasons. I also find it unlikely that anyone who has been in the workforce for a length of time hasn’t personally seen or heard something that was wrong and they chose to turn a blind eye to avoid falllout to themselves. At the end of the day few are going to risk themselves and their families over a third party, that is the rational, selfish decision.

Unfortunately it is more difficult to just be naive these days and say that McGowan and others are helping to change the consequences to shining light on these systemic issues when we have the White House.

TDLink

Can I stop you there.

You don't know Meryl Streep. You know the actress who goes in public and introduces a Joss Whedon speech on feminism. Joss who, years later, is revealed publically to have cheated on his wife with actresses he hired for his TV show.

My point is we don't know these people. They perform for us on screen, in interviews, and sporadically they spout politics or endorse charities. So saying "they'd speak out if they knew" implies familiarity which none of us have.

I know which of my friends would speak out on such a thing and which wouldn't, for Hollywood actors I'm guessing at best. Hence how Asia Argento signed the Polanski petition but was abused by Harvey - actors and actresses are more complex than their statements or perceptions suggest.

Affleck can be a drunk and a liar and a decent guy - these things are contradictory but humans aren't just simplistic concepts. Which makes guessing who knew/who did ridiculous because most people aren't that obvious.

Except Harvey. Dude screamed abusuve boss from every pore. Which made it an open secret his power protected.
I personally don't know what Meryl did or didn't know about Harvey's crimes. Or Joss's indiscretions.

Same way I don't know anything about you, or vice versa. I think that Meryl Streep, like any human, is a complicated person. But as a woman who is in no fear of being blacklisted in Hollywood for speaking out against a producer (a rare position, to be sure), I'd like to think she would if she knew literal rape was going on from a producer she worked with many times in the past.

Without knowing her personally, we can only take her at her word. Maybe she's lying, but why is that more likely than her telling the truth? I choose not to be cynical and instead believe she really is a good person who is using HER position of power to platform her beliefs. It's a bad look when someone she thought was helping a given cause in the past is revealed to be a true enemy of it, but you can't apply hindsight to a past action.

People want "everyone knew, it was an open secret" to be the truth, because it's a jucier story that way to say or imply that all these other people are implicitly guilty.

To turn it back on you: you're not in Hollywood (I'm assuming), how do you know it's an open secret?

Harvey Weinstein had a certain reputation that earned him public notoriety, but it certainly was not known by most people that it crossed the line into criminal acts like sexual assault. And I think it's ludicrous that everyone who ever happened to work in a movie he produced is suddenly brought into question "if they knew". Maybe some did, most almost certainly didn't. If Harvey went around acting this way to everyone and in front of everyone it WOULD be in the open. But it wasn't before. It's clear he specifically targeted his victims (which is even more vile and malicious).

All I'm saying is that we shouldn't be trying to figure out who knew or who didn't. Who could have come forward. It's all irrelevant unless those individuals too were guilty of his crimes. Knowing and not coming forward does not make them just as bad. And moreover, most almost certainly didn't know. I'm not a fan of trying to nail anybody and everybody to the post when they aren't even the perpetrator.

Maridia

I personally don't know what Meryl did or didn't know about Harvey's crimes. Or Joss's indiscretions.

Same way I don't know anything about you, or vice versa. I think that Meryl Streep, like any human, is a complicated person. But as a woman who is in no fear of being blacklisted in Hollywood for speaking out against a producer (a rare position, to be sure), I'd like to think she would if she knew literal rape was going on from a producer she worked with many times in the past.

Without knowing her personally, we can only take her at her word. Maybe she's lying, but why is that more likely than her telling the truth? I choose not to be cynical and instead believe she really is a good person who is using HER position of power to platform her beliefs. It's a bad look when someone she thought was helping a given cause in the past is revealed to be a true enemy of it, but you can't apply hindsight to a past action.

People want "everyone knew, it was an open secret" to be the truth, because it's a jucier story that way to say or imply that all these other people are implicitly guilty.

To turn it back on you: you're not in Hollywood (I'm assuming), how do you know it's an open secret?

Harvey Weinstein had a certain reputation that earned him public notoriety, but it certainly was not known by most people that it crossed the line into criminal acts like sexual assault. And I think it's ludicrous that everyone who ever happened to work in a movie he produced is suddenly brought into question "if they knew". Maybe some did, most almost certainly didn't. If Harvey went around acting this way to everyone and in front of everyone it WOULD be in the open. But it wasn't before. It's clear he specifically targeted his victims (which is even more vile and malicious).

All I'm saying is that we shouldn't be trying to figure out who knew or who didn't. Who could have come forward. It's all irrelevant unless those individuals too were guilty of his crimes. Knowing and not coming forward does not make them just as bad. And moreover, most almost certainly didn't know. I'm not a fan of trying to nail anybody and everybody to the post when they aren't even the perpetrator.

I agree with your conclusion, but I think it's important to note that being blacklisted isn't the only (or even primary) fear in play. Reading the New Yorker article, most people who could've come forward were/are just fucking terrified of his lawyers.

Also, I'm mystified that Joss Whedon cheating on his wife is being compared to this abomination in any way.

What was that one Tarantino qoute about how you can’t stick your dick in a video game system or something like that. I’ve heard a couple of different versions

Ushay

I like Rose, but what did you expect him to do? Is Ben Affleck somehow in a position of power to do anything about it?

This is what I think, if she had any sense she'd go to the authorities. Not fucking Ben Affleck. I don't understand where he comes into the equation of her rape? Was he directly responsible?

This has smear campaign written all over it. A finger pointing exercise.

BouncyFrag

I wonder if these millionaire actors who didn't have the courage to notify the authorities would be able to look all of the victims in the eye and explain why they stood by and did nothing in order to protect their career.

Lupercal

Banned
Honestly it's not going to end Affleck or anyone who knew. Weinstein was one of the most powerful men in Hollywood up until very recently and everyone was afraid that he'd cripple their career for speaking out.

People forget that while actors have some clout, producers are the ones signing the paychecks. Weinstein is a vile, disgusting human being but there's a reason why he got away with it for so long with so many knowing about it.

Well no, it won't end Affleck but I'd be surprised if only Affleck knew about it I meant. And if Weinstein is formally charged and set a courtdate I'd imagine he would spill all the beans if it meant keeping him out of jail.

This is what I think, if she had any sense she'd go to the authorities. Not fucking Ben Affleck. I don't understand where he comes into the equation of her rape? Was he directly responsible?

First of all, ugh.

Second of all, and it's been said before by other people in this thread, what she seems to be mad about here isn't that he didn't say/do something substantial then, but she feels like his statement now is making it seem like he didn't know what was going on, when she knows that he did.

Verelios

Yikes, you really went there?

The oscars are going to be super weird this year eh?

Anybody who hopes Tarantino didn't know about this, is kidding themselves. Wouldn't be surprised if he did the same shit. Dude is weird as fuck.

My thoughts exactly. Of all the people Tarantino would be the least surprising.

Because we had a big thread at GAF about it.

Even with my limited knowledge of the phrase I don't think people are even using it correctly.

Pixieking

Banned
Someone like Meryl Streep being totally blind to that, I don't believe it a second. That whole Polanski thing showed Hollywood's real, ugly face.

Based on what we know, it seems like Harvey's preferences were younger women, and women who were new to Hollywood. Which means he could easily have hidden his "true" self from Meryl, because she wasn't his type. Also, I'll post what George Clooney said again:

A lot of people are doing the “you had to know” thing right now, and yes, if you’re asking if I knew that someone who was very powerful had a tendency to hit on young, beautiful women, sure. But I had no idea that it had gone to the level of having to pay off eight women for their silence, and that these women were threatened and victimized. I’ve been talking with a lot of people about this, and I don’t know many people who knew of that.

A good bunch of people that I know would say, “Yeah, Harvey’s a dog” or “Harvey’s chasing girls,” but again, this is a very different kind of thing.

Top Bottom