• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DARKSIDERS |OT| More like Zelda than God of War

Ardorx said:
THQ isn't exactly kings of marketing. In reality, I wonder if they can even afford a big Marketing budget considering a lot of their top tier games didn't get much attention.

Red Faction Guerrilla had a big marketing campaign. They played ads for a whole month during baseball and wrestling. THQ can market Darksiders.

DieH@rd

Banned
ZealousD said:
Both the 360 and PS3 versions are basically ported from the PC, and Vigil even had a dedicated team to working on the PS3 version.

I really want PC version.

Also, thumbs up for thread name change. :D We are gonna make this game profitable, just with this thread alone. :)

Looks really cool. I'm already way more interested in this than any of the other 3rd person action/adventure stuff out there on the horizon, save GOW 3.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
ZealousD said:
Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness
Warcraft II: Beyond the Dark Portal
Perfect Dark
Eternal Darkness
Dark Age of Camelot
Thief: The Dark Project
Dark Cloud
Dark Forces
Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror
Games titled "Dark [X]" have an uphill battle for me. For a dev to decide upon such an unremarkable name that will do nothing to stand out on a shelf, it makes me wonder what other poor decisions they've made. =p

half-joking

panda21

how reliable are those magazines giving the high scores? i never even heard of the UK magazines...

isnt gamepro the one that gave t.hawk ride a high score?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
panda21 said:
how reliable are those magazines giving the high scores? i never even heard of the UK magazines...

Play Magazine is totally not reliable. The only one I personally checked was 360 Gamer, which seemed to score pretty typically. I'll probably remove the bulk of those scores once the website embargo ends.

isnt gamepro the one that gave t.hawk ride a high score?

I think the US branch did, but the GamePro in the OP is the German branch.

ZealousD

THIS IS YOUR LAST SUPPER

lastsupper.gif

dang the more i see of it the better it looks!

might make the venture into the shady parts of los angeles to pick this up tomorrow (if the shop has it!)

Tokubetsu

ZealousD said:
Another review from the UK show "PLAYR".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXl1yAoWwK0

Lots of footage from the beginning of the game, little spoilerish.

They gave it a 9.5, and they deducated that .5 for a lack of multiplayer. *rolleyes*

I've actually noticed a huge trend in the last year where friends on my XBL friends list and a handful of actual friends too will immediately go from "day one sale!" to "rental" if a game doesn't have multiplayer. Yes, it's very fucking sad and heartbreaking.

Jube3

Tokubetsu said:
I've actually noticed a huge trend in the last where friends on my XBL friends list and a handful of actual friends too wil immediately go from "day one sale!" to "rental" if a game doesn't have multiplayer. Yes, it's very fucking sad and heartbreaking.

I think thats aimed at me :lol

KevinCow

Banned
Tokubetsu said:
I've actually noticed a huge trend in the last where friends on my XBL friends list and a handful of actual friends too wil immediately go from "day one sale!" to "rental" if a game doesn't have multiplayer. Yes, it's very fucking sad and heartbreaking.

Just look at the Splinter Cell Conviction thread.

Jube3

Tokubetsu said:
"Does DarkSiders have multiplayer?"

I was curious! I just spent a billion dollars on christmas and Steam isnt exactly helping with their daily mugging of my wallet haha.

I am part of that crowd though, I dont necessarily have a strict no MP no sale mindset but it is hard for me since Im not into replaying games once I beat them (very rarely) so most of the single player games I buy are RPG's, indies, or long single player games.

I am still very interested in darksiders, depending on how long it is I may pick it up snag it off gamefly.

Tokubetsu

Jube3 said:
I was curious! I just spent a billion dollars on christmas and Steam isnt exactly helping with their daily mugging of my wallet haha.

I am part of that crowd though, I dont necessarily have a strict no MP no sale mindset but it is hard for me since Im not into replaying games once I beat them (very rarely) so most of the single player games I buy are RPG's, indies, or long single player games.

I am still very interested in darksiders, depending on how long it is I may pick it up snag it off gamefly.

Fuck it. Go pre-order right now. WHAT HAVE YOU GOT TO LOSE?!?!

KevinCow

Banned
_tetsuo_ said:
Thats completely different

No it isn't. It's the exact same thing he's talking about: people finding out a game doesn't have a multiplayer component and going from "DAY ONE!" to "FUCK THIS GAME!"

Future _tetsuo_ said:
But previous Splinter Cell games had this feature, so they're removing something and that's why it's different!

Yeah, you know, I can see being disappointed that a feature didn't make it into the game. But that doesn't change the fact that it's still people changing their minds from "DAY ONE!" to "FUCK THIS GAME!" because of the lack of a multiplayer feature.

Mind

Neo Member
I really need a SP game so now and then. All the competition makes relaxing while playing none excisting. My girlfriend hates the fact that I can't pauze the game while in MP. Coop is a different story tho. It would be cool to unlock coop after playing through the game once so that you know the story.

Amir0x

Banned
KevinCow said:
No it isn't. It's the exact same thing he's talking about: people finding out a game doesn't have a multiplayer component and going from "DAY ONE!" to "FUCK THIS GAME!"

Spies vs. Mercs was a highly successful multiplayer mode that literally was one of the most enjoyable aspects of the Splinter Cell game when it came out. I can completely understand why it would drop from Day One for these people. It was far more fun than the Splinter Cell singleplayer even. It is a dramatic drop in value for people, including me.

Old Splinter Cell had rad single player AND this great multiplayer mode; new Splinter Cell has this rad single player and a new multiplayer mode that sounds fucking lame. Big drop in value, particularly when you gotta spend $60 now.

I personally am hesitant to buy it on day one now, since any developer willing to drop Spies vs. Mercs must not have a particularly good grip on the good aspects of the franchise anyway.

Ricker

There`s a few things I dislike that I saw in that PlayR review,that I stopped watching because of spoilers,like a timer for certain battles??? and the annoying ``B`` button floating in the air a long time,but QTE are unfortunatly the norm in all games for now,but everything else looks awesome,still getting this next week.

Amir0x said:
I personally am hesitant to buy it on day one now, since any developer willing to drop Spies vs. Mercs must not have a particularly good grip on the good aspects of the franchise anyway.

They're probably saving it for the sequel, or the DLC.

The preoder comic was awesome!!!!!!!!! Wish I could have gotten two somehow. The story seems extremely fleshed out. Please oh please let this be good!!!

ZealousD

We've got a score from GameInformer, but the full review isn't up yet, just their usual breakdown.

http://gameinformer.com/games/darksiders/b/ps3/default.aspx

8.5|10

Concept:
Puzzles and combat take center stage in an adventure that openly worships Zelda and God of War

Graphics:
The character and demon designs are cool, in contrast with the bland world

Sound:
War’s voice actor lays on the Velveeta, but the remainder of the cast (Mark Hamill!) and soundtrack is good

Playability:
The controls make sense, combat flows mostly without error, and the assortment of Zelda-esque goodies are tapped to create awesome puzzles

Entertainment:
The plot doesn’t lead you along, but the gameplay and puzzles do. Definitely worth a play

Replay:
Moderately Low

ZealousD

KevinCow said:
So does that mean the review embargo is up?

GameInformer is still a print magazine. I imagine websites are still on embargo.

xaosslug

Amir0x said:
pretty sure they specifically said they had no plans to release Spies vs. Mercs DLC

'due to the high demand we are releasing a spies vs. mercs multi-player DLC for only ____ MS points!!!' etc, etc. :lol

This game looks really great.

I'll be picking up Bayonetta on Jan.5th, so this is gonna hafta wait a week or so.

But the rest of January is crowded as well, right? What else is a must-buy in Jan?

I know Mass Effect comes out near the end of the month, what else is there?

in january from what i can remember you have darksiders, bayonetta (which i have no interest in), mass effect 2, the capcom Vs. game on Wii, dark void (i dont know about this one).

then you have bioshock 2 and dantes inferno coming out in early february so it is going to be a crowded beginning of the year.

i know a lot of the companies out there said they were going to try better to spread out their releases and so far it seems like they are going to do that. i can't ever recall seeing this many great games within the first few months of the year

FrenchMovieTheme said:
in january from what i can remember you have darksiders, bayonetta (which i have no interest in), mass effect 2, the capcom Vs. game on Wii, dark void (i dont know about this one).

then you have bioshock 2 and dantes inferno coming out in early february so it is going to be a crowded beginning of the year.

i know a lot of the companies out there said they were going to try better to spread out their releases and so far it seems like they are going to do that. i can't ever recall seeing this many great games within the first few months of the year
No More Heroes 2 also comes out late January (The day after ME2!).

ZealousD

You've also got No More Heroes 2 and Army of Two 40th Day this month as well.

george_us

I'm watching more videos of this and, shit, it's looking pretty awesome. I may go see if any of the Best Buys have broken street date for this like Bayonetta. I've been hankering for an action/adventure and this is looking to be right up my ally.

glaurung

Gave up and pre-ordered the PS3 EU version from zavvi for about £35.

Would have gotten it even cheaper through more shady online stores, but I do not wish to risk it.

panda21

ZealousD said:
First web review from GameVortex. 95%

http://www.gamevortex.com/gamevortex/soft_rev.php/4893/darksiders-xbox-360.html

A quick glance through their reviews show that they have higher scores than average. However, they are counted as an accredited review outlet on GameRankings.

is the embargo really 5th January, the day its released? seems a bit silly given the time of year and that no one has heard of it

i guess the PR plan when this happens is to only have good reviews before release day and catch a few people early from that, then when the proper reviews come out the nerds (ie us) will buy it anyway. doesn't show much faith in the game though :S

Didnt the same thing happen with batman?

Anyways ive not pre ordered but I have loads of Gamestation vouchers from x-mas so ill probably end up paying over the odds for it on release :lol

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Wow. What an OP. What a thread.
I just finished reading everything, and was basically in the same boat as Amir0x, only 3 days behind him. Hmmm? Zelda? MUST BUY.

Stepped out during my lunch break a little while ago to preorder this (PS3) and Bayonetta (360) at my local GS, after noticing that GS.com/EB.com no longer list the comic/art book as a preorder bonus.

Magically, I walked out $10 poorer but with the last Darksiders comic/art book and Bayonetta poster that GS received for the purposes of preorder incentives!

Very lucky! And now I'm very excited!
I think my anticipation for this one is above Bayonetta, though!

mjc

The art book is pretty awesome but the binding on my copy was loose from the cover when I got it. Might have to dap some gorilla glue over the binding to reconnect it.

I still can't get over how shitty the art style, lighting and just all around lack of visual polish are.

This might be one of the first games that although might be fun as hell, I pass on due to the technical side being done so horribly wrong.

I truly believe these threads are a blessing and a curse. I, for one, think they are a blessing and my wife/wallet think they are a curse. This wasn't even a blip on my radar, read the thread yesterday, looked into the game, and now Im sitting here with the artbook and the game preordered for Tuesday. Looks great!

I'm really happy to see alot of people coming on board to this game thanks to this thread. I've been awaiting this game for a LONG time so I simply can't wait to get my hands on it. I almost feel lucky for you more recently on board folk, didn't have to endure the painful wait! Yet War is coming... very, very soon!

I am mildly excited about this game but none of the videos I have seen so far have completely sold me. Is there a specific video you guys recommend that gives a really good feel for the game?

Top Bottom