• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amy Schumer insisted Netflix pay her the same as Chris Rock or Dave Chappelle

Dre3001

Most important thing in this article is that Chris Rock has a special coming out. When was his last special? 10 years ago??

Never scared is an absolute classic.

With that said as far as Amy Schumer, if the views she pulled on Netflix justify the $20 million I don't see why anyone could be against her getting a raise.

The entertainment business as a whole is based on how much revenue you can bring in not based on actual talent. Some of the highest paid actors in Hollywood are nowhere close to being the best actors/ actresses in the industry.

daemissary

Can't hate on that hustle. Good on her, regardless of what you or I think about her talent in comparison.

Exactly, she knows that Netflix would rather pay her another couple million than take the chance of a PR hit in this political climate. Even if she is a horrible comedian who steals jokes, I gotta respect the business savvy.

Absolutely good for her.

She was in a position to negotiate, she did, and she profited. That's a good thing for her and for other comedians -- women and men -- who follow.

Stencil

Yooo... I'm all for gender equality, but talent is a much different thing. I think with Chapelle & Chris Rock, having been successful in the comedy realm much longer than Schumer, it obviously makes sense they'd be paid more.

Good on her for asking, though.

Acidote

Who are you talking to? Do you understand what happened here?

I understand that she is as (or even more) profitable for Netflix as Chapelle or Rock, and so she wanted to be paid the same. And she got it, (and got it rightfully) because she had the negotiationg power at that moment.

I still believe she's not good and Netflix should hire a better female comedian than her to pay those 20M and substitute her IF there's not enough market for the two of them.

Aselith

I understand that she is as (or even more) profitable for Netflix as Chapelle or Rock, and so she wanted to be paid the same. And she got it, (and got it rightfully) because she had the negotiationg power at that moment.

I still believe she's not good and Netflix should hire a better female comedian than her to pay those 20M and substitute her IF there's not enough market for the two of them.

Contracts aren't really a tag team thing

Maximus.

Yooo... I'm all for gender equality, but talent is a much different thing. I think with Chapelle & Chris Rock, having been successful in the comedy realm much longer than Schumer, it obviously makes sense they'd be paid more.

Good on her for asking, though.

Agreed. Has nothing to do with race, gender or anything in that regard, to me it is all about the comedy and consistency.

Agreed. Has nothing to do with race, gender or anything in that regard, to me it is all about the comedy and consistency.

It has nothing to do with how funny you are, though. Nor does it matter how long you've been doing it, how successful you've been in the past, etc. Really, nothing at all. (I mean, sure, in theory that matters, as it would tend to contribute to demand for your next offering, but if you're going to talk about your own subjective view, it doesn't matter.) If she attracts a comparable number of eyeballs [in the right demographic groups], then she is in a position to command comparable pay.

The upshot is that if Rock, Chappelle, or any other comedian can make a claim that they actually do attract more views than Schumer, their payday on their next special just got bigger. So they win, too.

Sheroking

If the viewership numbers are comparable here: Completely agree and she deserved that.

Otherwise, it's facile to bring up income inequality and claim she deserved the same money.

Schumer is fucking lucky she even got 11 million.

That's way above her shitty level of comedy compared to Chapelle and Rock
This over and over..
Gender equality is one thing,but she's actually a lot worse than chapelle and quite worse than rock..
Sigh..

iammeiam

Netflix and imdb ratings tend to disagree with that statement. And they disagree A LOT.

Totally non-biased reviews assuredly reflecting the opinion of every single person on earth.

Like, I get that Schumer's legacy is unlikely to touch Chappelle's or Rock's, but it seems a bit of a stretch to point at brigaded reviews as proof nobody finds her funny. Her show was popular, Trainwreck was successful, her tour was successful, her book was successful, etc. Her long-term relevance is questionable, but 2016 was a year in which many people spent many dollars on her comedy.

Doesn't matter if she's as good as Dave or Chris. All that matters is how many eyeballs she's drawing if the level of promotion is the same. If her audience on Netflix is just as big as theirs, then by all means, give her that payday.

Still not even close to being on their level. Chappelle's humour has been nothing but quality in all forms of his comedic career.

I did not find her to be funny at all. Thought I was the only one, then I saw that other people agreed with me. If she feels that her less than mediocre output is worth as much as Chris Rock and/or Dave Chappelle, then so be it, I suppose.

Zane Farus

Neo Member
She shouldn't even have a special on Netflix for stealing jokes. Any comedian male or female that steals jokes should be expelled.

I am for more female comedians and for them getting paid their due and they are severely underpaid but joke stealers don't deserve a cent.

Socreges

Banned
If the viewership numbers are comparable here: Completely agree and she deserved that.

Otherwise, it's facile to bring up income inequality and claim she deserved the same money.
Agreed

And if she approached Netflix in that way, and renegotiated successfully, I wonder what their considerations were. Particularly if the alternative was 'major female comedian walks after Netflix refuses to pay same as male comedians'. You'd spend whatever you need to make that not happen

That said, I don't find it too difficult to believe that she does bring in similar numbers and merited the money...

Staf

Yeah, on second thought. If she have the same number of viewers as Rock and Chappelle. Then good for her, she should have same pay!

mashoutposse

Ante Up
I as an ordinary consumer would not pay the same to see Amy if they were all doing local shows. I may be an anomaly as I'd be surprised if this decision wasn't at least in part (if not entirely) data-driven. Happy she asked and got it; hope it backs out for Netflix.

Whatever happened to Dane Cook anyways? Wasnt my type of humor but wasnt he the biggest comedian at one point?

Still does comedy shows from time to time. People think the joke stealing killed him but he and C.K buried that hatchet quick. If anything hurt him it was when his stepbrother was embezzling cash from him. That hurt him a lot emotionally and he stopped doing comedy for a bit IIRC. And of course in this day and age, if you're not constantly making content then you get forgotten fast.

Dadasch

Amy Schumer is not funny though...like at all.
I think it's a disgrace that she's getting paid so much money. Pay Equality is a good thing, but in showbiz you have to consider the draw you're generating among the viewers, thus it's absolutely justified that Chappelle has a higher salary.

RedRum

Banned
There's a 26 minute video of her stealing jokes. Why pay someone who needs to steal shit the same as greats? And we're not even talking about it being because she's a woman. She's literally not even near Chris and Dave's level.

TAD

How dare she successfully negotiate! Doesn't she realize she's not as good as Chappelle and Rock?!!?
I wouldn't say quality is really the sticking point here, when was the last Chapelle or Chris Rock stand up special? These are big comeback shows from comedians that have been around for 20-25 years,is it really surprising that they're getting more? Schumer has every right to ask for more but in my eyes Netflix also had every right to say no.

Sony

Nintendo
Is that the horrible, joke stealing comedian? Her Netflix special was the biggest insult to stand-up comedy I have ever seen. The only insitance where I saw someone as unfunny as Schumer on stage was when Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino took the mic at Donald Trump's Roast, but at least that guy doesn't call himself a comedian. And now she has allegedly has the audacity to ask the same compensation as Chris Rock and Dave Chapelle?

I hope all of you are equally supportive of adam sandler when he signs his next 100mn deal with netflix.
Good hustle and all that.

What are you talking about, Adam Sandler gets shat on every possible opportunity..?

RedRum

Banned
Reading back in the thread, I am really confused here. There's no ifs, ands, or buts about her blatantly stealing to get ahead. Yet a staggering amount of people are cheering her on. Why?

DocSeuss

Reading back in the thread, I am really confused here. There's no ifs, ands, or buts about her blatantly stealing to get ahead. Yet a staggering amount of people are cheering her on. Why?

So, there's like two things at play here.

On one hand, she's a morally decrepit joke-stealing thief with no sense of comedic timing who tends to ruin the jokes she steals.

On the other hand, she's a woman who negotiated to be paid as much as men.

Both of these things are true. A lot of people just happen to care more about the latter than the former. My reaction's a lot more like that Larry David "ehnh" gif. On one hand, awful comedians don't deserve to be paid well. On the other hand, people shouldn't be paid less just because of their gender. My personal bias being against her as an awful comedian has me kinda wishing she got paid less because she's an awful comedian, but some people see her being paid less as exclusively about gender discrimination.

I think people care more about societal injustice than individual injustice, which is why it's being seen more as a victory for women (many) than a victory for a joke thief (individual). But I mean, this only works if she had previously been paid less than other people because of her gender, and I personally don't know anything about that, so I can't comment. For all I know, she walked in and went "I want to be paid as much as your most profitable comedians" and Netflix was like "yeah sure okay" without even offering her a figure. I dunno.

Good on her for negotiating a better paycheque. Its great that she pulled it off. Though on the point some posters are bring up.

An actor or comedian's pay is not determined by purely objective qualities. Even if her shows were pulling in the exact same viewing figures and ratings, that does not mean she is guaranteed the same pay. These deals don't exist in a vacuum and as such are based on how much of a career they have, and what sort of pulling power they have.

For instance, here are the salaries for some of the actors in Age of Ultron:

Robert Downey Jr. - $40 million

Scarlett Johansson - $20 million

Chris Evans - $6.9 million

Jeremy Renner - $6.1 million

Chris Hemsworth - $5.4 million

Robert Downey Jr. and Scarlett Johansson can demand so much, because they have long careers behind them, and probably a daily flood of movie offers. Their pay checks are the price for their time, not just their objective talent. Hollywood is a ladder and they are higher on it than their co-stars, and as such can demand a better pay check.

Going back to Amy Schumer, kudos to her for trying and having it pay off for her. She just managed to jump up a rung on the ladder.

RedRum

Banned
So, there's like two things at play here.

On one hand, she's a morally decrepit joke-stealing thief with no sense of comedic timing who tends to ruin the jokes she steals.

On the other hand, she's a woman who negotiated to be paid as much as men.

Both of these things are true. A lot of people just happen to care more about the latter than the former. My reaction's a lot more like that Larry David "ehnh" gif. On one hand, awful comedians don't deserve to be paid well. On the other hand, people shouldn't be paid less just because of their gender. My personal bias being against her as an awful comedian has me kinda wishing she got paid less because she's an awful comedian, but some people see her being paid less as exclusively about gender discrimination.

I think people care more about societal injustice than individual injustice, which is why it's being seen more as a victory for women (many) than a victory for a joke thief (individual). But I mean, this only works if she had previously been paid less than other people because of her gender, and I personally don't know anything about that, so I can't comment. For all I know, she walked in and went "I want to be paid as much as your most profitable comedians" and Netflix was like "yeah sure okay" without even offering her a figure. I dunno.

Damn good post, Doc.

I understand what you're saying. I have no issues whatsoever if a woman wants to be paid just as much as a man. However, I feel like rewarding someone like Amy takes the pack out of whatever punch that can be gained with trying to find equality against inequality. Especially when I find it difficult to ignore what she's done, not just once but many times.

It doesn't matter if I'm a man or woman, but if I stole my coworker's work and used it to put myself on equal footing with that coworker who is clearly a much better worker than me, should I be cheered for trying to do whatever is necessary to be equal with my coworker? Especially if it's completely wrong?

bunbun777

She should have been paid more actually since she not only brings her own material but showcases so many others in her own unique style.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Seems like she's taking advantage of gender equality issues, basically threatening to cause a controversy to get more than she might be worth. If she was a man doing exactly what she does, would she get paid as much as these guys? If not, neither should she just because she's a woman. If yes, then she should.

Certain people on GAF are always so bothered by women asking for more money. Even when Robin Wright, an excellent actress, asked for the same pay as Spacey, people were taken aback by it.

Seems like she's taking advantage of gender equality issues, basically threatening to cause a controversy to get more than she might be worth. If she was a man doing exactly what she does, would she get paid as much as these guys? If not, neither should she just because she's a woman. If yes, then she should.

Or maybe she just wanted comparable pay

Newline

I mean not really, she successfully neogotiated more money and the reaction here is basically lol she shouldn't have gotten it
If you get paid top dollar you should really expect to be scrutinised for being paid top dollar. It's great that she managed to negotiate, im all for that. Whether it was a good deal is another thing entirely.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
I wish I got paid a 10th of what Amy is getting.

Top Bottom