• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Guardians |OT5| Is HaloGAF irrelevant now?

Fuchsdh

I disagree here - I think both OSTs had standout tracks and themes. Halo 4 had To Galaxy, Awakening, Revival and Halo 5 had Osiris Suite (Acts 1 and 3 babyyy), Ascension, Light is Green.

I will say though, there are tracks here that remind me of John Williams music, primarily because Gordy loves using brass, something Halo music hasn't really had before. No wonder why he did the Star Wars Battlefront soundtrack :)

Needs more flutes.

Also, Williams uses relatively sparing percussion over all. When he does it's more striking by its relative rarity.

belushy

Banned
Talked with Sketch on twitter and he said there is no Halo 5 Forge update on the horizon that he knows of.

But remember 343 is totes focused on supporting H5F, guys.

Talked with Sketch on twitter and he said there is no Halo 5 Forge update on the horizon that he knows of.

But remember 343 is totes focused on supporting H5F, guys.
You're referring to the Win. 10 game, right?
Just playing it earlier today and it managed to crash twice and continue to have poor performance even on a system that surpasses the recommended requirements.

The port is really, really poorly done.

belushy

Banned
You're referring to the Win. 10 game, right?
Just playing it earlier today and it managed to crash twice and continue to have poor performance even on a system that surpasses the recommended requirements.

The port is really, really poorly done.

Yeah sorry should have specified.

It crashes, the mouse aiming is still not fixed (though they tried claiming it was in the custom browser update lol) and a great many other issues. But yet weirdly, using an Xbox One controller has smoother aiming than playing on the Xbox. -_- Funniest thing about all of it is that 343 didn't even develop it, it was outsource(hahahaha) to Skybox Labs and now its up to them when shit gets done, if it ever gets done.

Yeah sorry should have specified.

It crashes, the mouse aiming is still not fixed (though they tried claiming it was in the custom browser update lol) and a great many other issues. But yet weirdly, using an Xbox One controller has smoother aiming than playing on the Xbox. -_- Funniest thing about all of it is that 343 didn't even develop it, it was outsource(hahahaha) to Skybox Labs and now its up to them when shit gets done, if it ever gets done.
Yeah, the entire port is borked and the community, especially for a free Halo game, is pathetically small.

It's really unfortunate too considering it's the version of the game that's the most accessible to me since I'm very reluctant to install 100+ GB on my Xbox One again just to get my H5 fix.

At the end of the day, it's free which makes it hard for me to complain too much but the port is just so terrible that it's hard not to.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Thanks for the thoughts, squad. The good news is that the swelling has gone down substantially and that I have full mobility in everything but my pinky and ring fingers. The bad news is that the tendons in those two fingers are incredibly tender and he advised me to not do anything too forceful with them for about 2-3 weeks or until I can make a fist without it hurting. I'll probably give it a few days and then see how it feels using a controller.

Yeah, we're gonna have to drop you from the company.
i dont even know if you're in the spartan company, but get well soon

Madness

Thanks for the thoughts, squad. The good news is that the swelling has gone down substantially and that I have full mobility in everything but my pinky and ring fingers. The bad news is that the tendons in those two fingers are incredibly tender and he advised me to not do anything too forceful with them for about 2-3 weeks or until I can make a fist without it hurting. I'll probably give it a few days and then see how it feels using a controller.

RIP the Diamond in SWAT. Come join me in Silver aka Garbage tier when you recover.

If you know how to log into your modem from a browser you can resolve 90% of Comcast related issues. Even out of date firmware and their 'reset signals' they send to your modem can be resolved on your end by logging in, navigating to the advanced settings, and performing a reset on the modem. You can check for firmware updates as well. Just an FYI for the future.

Thanks for the heads-up, but this one was definitely on its way out anyway, so it was worth upgrading.

If you loved the first, then this sequel is very satisfying.
Nice, looking forward to it. That's good to hear since a lot of sequels feel unnecessary for what should be one-off hits.
You'll be back better, faster, stronger.
Just gonna mention once again that the soundtracks for Spartan Assault and Spartan Strike are really good and original.

Thanks for listening.
Still waiting on that Spartan Strike Xbox One release, Stinkles. Pliss n ty.

njean777

Don't know if this is a good place to ask this. I pre ordered halo wars 2 ultimate edition on the Xbox and I cannot figure out how to get Halo Wars DE at all. It says it downloaded but it is only 10.2mb and I know that the game cannot be that small.. so what is up with this?

Don't know if this is a good place to ask this. I pre ordered halo wars 2 ultimate edition on the Xbox and I cannot figure out how to get Halo Wars DE at all. It says it downloaded but it is only 10.2mb and I know that the game cannot be that small.. so what is up with this?
You'll be emailed a code within 7-10 days of your pre-order that will give you full access to the game. It will be sent directly to your Xbox messages.

mo60

Does the party matching csr change apply to all arena playlists, including social, BTB etc? That and an FPS fix for forge maps might bring me back to this game on a consistent basis.

From what I heard that won't be happening for halo 5.

Speaking of the CSR system I'm struggling to stay in gold this season in Team Arena.

I'm a platinum player if I play enough, gold otherwise.

So I'm gold a lot :p

I tend to wind up Plat in Slayer and SWAT, Gold in Arena. I dislike Ranked playlists, though, so I tend to just solo queue into Social.

Like I would reach gold one in like a match or two and I end up losing the next match and I'm back to silver 6.

I haven't played Ranked in a while. I was under the impression that you couldn't drop out of your tier. You could derank within it (i.e., Plat 3 to Plat 2), but not outright fall from Plat into Gold. Did that change recently?

I tend to wind up Plat in Slayer and SWAT, Gold in Arena. I dislike Ranked playlists, though, so I tend to just solo queue into Social.

I haven't played Ranked in a while. I was under the impression that you couldn't drop out of your tier. You could derank within it (i.e., Plat 3 to Plat 2), but not outright fall from Plat into Gold. Did that change recently?
It's been that way for a few months now

5630a8eeb42735e4598b41019537a007.png

#ForTheCompany

Madness

5630a8eeb42735e4598b41019537a007.png

#ForTheCompany

I think people should play a few matches of SWAT and do nothing but spartan charges. Plus you can get a lot of first strike medals, reversals etc. I think Marine kills will be a tough one as people have stopped playing Warzone normal as much. They need to have a Marine firefight wave or something. Assassinations is another big one.

mo60

I usually get a few reversals and first strikes every day I play Halo 5. I been trying to play more warzone lately to complete some spartan company commendations.

Also this is one of the closest strongholds match I have ever played in team arena. My team almost lost the match at one point but we came back to win by one point.
Screenshot-Original.png

I think marine kills isn't as big an issue. We just need folks to play WZ. Getting 15-25 marine kills per game is basically the norm for me lately, so assuming even a decent fraction of the company plays a couple WZ matches per week (or more, obviously), 1000 marines per week shouldn't be that hard.

Of course, people have to actually play, which is always the issue.

Trup1aya

We need to kill over 13,000 marines, this will never happen... Sorry to be a negative Nancy but we won't get there.

Marines aren't that bad. the big culprits for me are still SCs and Assassinations, since they are so situational. I'm not sure why, but about half of my assassination attempts register as backsmacks.

I'll kill 3 marines anytime I solo push a base. And a bunch more anytime I'm in a flying vehicle. Onetime I was inside the enemy home base when they locked it back down- killed 16 marines before they seemingly stopped respawning.

Semi-lurker reporting in. I had what must've been a thirty Marine kill WZ game the other day, I just kept pushing bases and they were easy pickings. If you find yourself on top of an armory you can just watch them respawn constantly inside and pick them off from the hole in the roof.

Haruko

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Hu_rCDBbAE

A new machine, angry chief. A player who was selected as alpha zombi can operate MC Machine.

Known issues
Sometimes, MC Machine floats in the air and looses balance. In that case, survivors have to shoot power core that is located top of head to win.
Playing recorded films remarkably lowers frame rate.

Map : MC machine
Game mode : MC machine
Gamertag : TOKETAKE

and my favorite youtube comment:
"Even this guy could get lights on both sides of the helmet smh"

Fuchsdh

Marines aren't that bad. the big culprits for me are still SCs and Assassinations, since they are so situational. I'm not sure why, but about half of my assassination attempts register as backsmacks.

I'll kill 3 marines anytime I solo push a base. And a bunch more anytime I'm in a flying vehicle. Onetime I was inside the enemy home base when they locked it back down- killed 16 marines before they seemingly stopped respawning.

Yeah it's weird. It felt like in Reach and Halo 4 I'd do assassinations all the time when I meant to do back smacks, and now in 5 I do regular beatdowns when I'm trying to do assassinations.

wwm0nkey

So on my Facebook trending section there was an article about how the physical copies of Halo Wars 2 were canned. Obviously later on they go on to say PC physical, but man 343 you really should have said something a LONG time ago because this will lead to some confusion i this article continues to trend.

Madness

Yeah it's weird. It felt like in Reach and Halo 4 I'd do assassinations all the time when I meant to do back smacks, and now in 5 I do regular beatdowns when I'm trying to do assassinations.

I also feel like close quarters combat unaware is very rare in H5. The radar, the autos, the unlimited sprint. Very hard to do assassinations, I find I get more back smacks as they try to evade and thrust away or I am usually sprinting and would prefer to spartan charge rather than assassinate.

TCKaos

I hope Atriox survives Halo Wars 2 because The Banished might be the most compelling piece of post-war lore that the franchise has. Atriox certainly seems as though he has the ability to coerce the remnants of Jul 'Mdama's Covenant into joining the Banished given that they would both be politically opposed to 'Vadam controlled Sangelios.

Also, as of late there's been a terrible habit of killing off the main antagonistic forces of the franchise without any payoff. Just for comparison:

Sesa 'Refumee: Two mission miniature saga devoted to chasing him down, ending with a personal fight with him.

Prophet of Regret: He assaults Earth, you take a mission to repel borders in orbit, two missions to defend New Mombassa, two missions to chase him across Delta Halo ultimately ending with you punching him in the fucking face.

Tartarus: Spend two levels chasing him to Delta Halo's control room and then kill him yourself in order to prevent him from activating Delta Halo and killing all life that exists.

Brute Chieftan in Sierra 117: Chief gets constantly harassed all level by a single Brute Chieftan, whom you find out has captured your B team, giving you a personal stake in his death. You kill him yourself.

Prophet of Truth: You literally chase this fucker over the entire game through New Mombassa to the Ark. You fight climactic battles to prevent him from reaching the cartographer and the control room, but ultimately fail. You have the largest battle in the franchise so that you can kick his door down and take the elevator to the top floor penthouse that he plans on ending the universe from. You fight alongside the flood to clear a series of long hallways until you find Truth, and the Arbiter kills him with his own hands, giving a satisfying ending to his narrative arc.

Gravemind: After meeting this asshole three years ago, you're finally given an opportunity to do what you wish you could have done then and fuck his house up. You kick his door in, save your bestie that he kidnapped that you've been missing all game, and drag your ass up all thirty thousand floors of the pyramid to the control room, shooting a billion fucking dudes, where you set off the biggest bomb in the universe by killing the most annoying asshole in the entire franchise right after he kills your other bestie (RIP Johnson). Then you get in your car with your alien bestie (or four ghosts or whatever) and get the fuck out of there in the most tense race against time in the franchise.

The Didact: Your great-great grandpa that has force powers and hates all of humanity for some vague reason that your great-great grandma tried to explain to you through several short films or whatever. He's a bad dude, or so you're told. You chase him down over the course of several missions in a pretty epic chase, but you push him off of a bridge, killing your best friend in the process (RIP). Secretly, he lived, and your other best friends help you kill him later when no one (and I mean NO ONE) is watching. It's poorly drawn, and you and your friends don't like to talk about it.

Gek 'Lhar: Some nerd you don't know finds him and kills him in a movie you don't have anything to do with. He's a bad dude, or so you're told, but he gets bodied by a couple of scrubs.

Parg Vol: An easter egg about a game nobody played. He's a bad dude, or so you're told. You and your anonymous internet friends kill him because he exists. No one gets anything out of it because you're not tied to him in any narrative fashion.

Jul 'Mdama: The antagonist of Spartan-Ops. He's a bad dude, or so you're told. He's killed by Fireteam Osiris, who notably has nothing to do with him, unlike Fireteam Majestic or Fireteam Crimson (this probably was way more satisfying when Buck was Thorne). You fight your way through a room of unrelated enemies to get to the location of Catherine Halsey, but casually run into 'Mdama and effortlessly dance all over him and his squad. He's killed in a cutscene for a mission that he wasn't the objective of by a group that has nothing to do with him, ending the war once and for all.

The Warden Eternal (A): Cortana's beta orbiter. He's a bad dude, or so you're told. Defends his lady's chivalry while looking spooky and making silly noises. You fight him as Fireteam Osiris and have no idea what he is or why he exists.

The Warden Eternal (B): Cortana's beta orbiter. He's a bad dude, or so you're told. Defends his lady's chivalry while looking spooky and making silly noises. You fight him as Blue Team and think he's being a creep towards Cortana.

The Warden Eternal (C): Cortana's beta orbiter. He's a bad dude, or so you're told. Defends his lady's chivalry while looking spooky and making silly noises. You fight him on Sanghelios as Fireteam Osiris and wonder how he's there, and why the Didact didn't use the same technology to get his ship to Earth faster.

The Warden Eternal (D): Cortana's beta orbiter. He's a bad dude, or so you're told. Defends his lady's chivalry while looking spooky and making silly noises. You fight him on Genisis as Fireteam Osiris in a tank and are really fucking bored of the fact that he exists and seemingly has no narrative agency of his own.

The Warden Eternal (E): Cortana's beta orbiter. He's a bad dude, or so you're told. Defends his lady's chivalry while looking spooky and making silly noises. You fight him on Genisis as Fireteam Osiris at the same time as The Warden Eternal (F).

The Warden Eternal (F): Cortana's beta orbiter. He's a bad dude, or so you're told. Defends his lady's chivalry while looking spooky and making silly noises.You fight him on Genisis as Fireteam Osiris at the same time as The Warden Eternal (E).

The Warden Eternal (G): Cortana's beta orbiter. He's a bad dude, or so you're told. Defends his lady's chivalry while looking spooky and making silly noises. You fight him on Genisis as Blue Team so you can get to Cortana. You fight him alongside The Warden Eternal (H) and The Warden Eternal (I). After this he vanishes for no adequately explained reason. Probably because everyone is so fucking done with him by now.

The Warden Eternal (H): Cortana's beta orbiter. He's a bad dude, or so you're told. Defends his lady's chivalry while looking spooky and making silly noises. You fight him on Genisis as Blue Team so you can get to Cortana. You fight him alongside The Warden Eternal (G) and The Warden Eternal (I). After this he vanishes for no adequately explained reason. Probably because everyone is so fucking done with him by now.

The Warden Eternal (I): Cortana's beta orbiter. He's a bad dude, or so you're told. Defends his lady's chivalry while looking spooky and making silly noises. You fight him on Genisis as Blue Team so you can get to Cortana. You fight him alongside The Warden Eternal (G) and The Warden Eternal (H). After this he vanishes for no adequately explained reason. Probably because everyone is so fucking done with him by now.

FyreWulff

This could quite literally be due to going from 30 fps to 60fps. The polling rate for the controls has increased, so you'll have to hold the button longer through multiple pollings to have it detected as a held button. Reach/4 had to err more on "held" due to a lower polling rate.

Cranster

Banned
The Didact: Your great-great grandpa that has force powers and hates all of humanity for some vague reason that your great-great grandma tried to explain to you through several short films or whatever. He's a bad dude, or so you're told. You chase him down over the course of several missions in a pretty epic chase, but you push him off of a bridge, killing your best friend in the process (RIP). Secretly, he lived, and your other best friends help you kill him later when no one (and I mean NO ONE) is watching. It's poorly drawn, and you and your friends don't like to talk about it.
The Didact is not dead.

Top Bottom