• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT3 | Playing with our sticks while petting Jaguars!

I swear the DMV is the worst expirence on the face of the planet. I've been here for an hour just trying to get new plates.

Yes it is. When I bought my corolla which didn't have a title (a mistake I'll never make again), there were several times I spend like 2 hours waiting just to see someone for 5 minutes that told me I didn't have the right paperwork, or I still needed something else.

I've started going to 3rd party dmv's, which cost more, but I've never had to wait more than 5 minutes. Only problem is they can only do simple stuff like title transfer, registration and stuff like that.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Hey, AutoGAF! I come to this thread seeking advice from people who knows way more about cars than I do (which is probably 90% of people on GAF, whether they visit this thread or not).

Sometime in the next 6-12 months, I am planning to get a different car. I currently drive a 2011 Scion xB that I've had for almost six years. It has been a good car, and there is a lot to like about it. It's reliable, it's comfortable for front and back seat passengers (I'm 6'3" and can sit comfortably in back with the front seat pushed back as far as it goes), and has lots of room. I also think it has the most perfect ride height of any vehicle I've ever driven. However, it's a little noisy, pretty weak, and nothing to write home about in terms of amenities.

What I am looking for in my next car:

• Decent amount of power. I don't drive very fast, but it's nice to have the option when I need it. V6 would be lovely.
  • Sedan (would prefer to avoid SUVs) that can comfortably seat four tall people.
  • Something that can be considered a luxury car. Quiet interior, nice stereo, etc. (my wife has air conditioned seats in her car and that is kind of a must-have feature for me now).
  • AWD would be VERY nice, but not a requirement.
  • Maintenance that won't break the bank.
  • I would prefer to buy used.

All the cars I've ever owned that were worth a damn were Japanese cars that were assembled in Japan (Scion xB, Scion tC, Honda del Sol, Subaru Impreza) so I would tend to lean that way, but I am open to any and all suggestions.

Budget: ~$30K. Is it foolish to expect all of the above for this price? I honestly have no idea.

Thanks very much in advance for any recommendations.

Hey, AutoGAF! I come to this thread seeking advice from people who knows way more about cars than I do (which is probably 90% of people on GAF, whether they visit this thread or not).

Sometime in the next 6-12 months, I am planning to get a different car. I currently drive a 2011 Scion xB that I've had for almost six years. It has been a good car, and there is a lot to like about it. It's reliable, it's comfortable for front and back seat passengers (I'm 6'3" and can sit comfortably in back with the front seat pushed back as far as it goes), and has lots of room. I also think it has the most perfect ride height of any vehicle I've ever driven. However, it's a little noisy, pretty weak, and nothing to write home about in terms of amenities.

• Decent amount of power. I don't drive very fast, but it's nice to have the option when I need it. V6 would be lovely.
  • Sedan (would prefer to avoid SUVs) that can comfortably seat four tall people.
  • Something that can be considered a luxury car. Quiet interior, nice stereo, etc. (my wife has air conditioned seats in her car and that is kind of a must-have feature for me now).

All the cars I've ever owned that were worth a damn were Japanese cars that were assembled in Japan (Scion xB, Scion tC, Honda del Sol, Subaru Impreza) so I would tend to lean that way, but I am open to any and all suggestions.

Budget: ~$30K. Is it foolish to expect all of the above for this price? I honestly have no idea.

I think an AWD v6 2016 q50 should be in the 30k-35k price range?

SliChillax

Just came across this thread on reddit and I don't know whether I should cry or laugh.

https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/comments/5z8msa/sti_serie_hyperblue_owner_came_home_to_find_his/

So basically this guy, Greg, lives with a roommate and he owns an STI Wrx. Roommate brings in a homeless person to sleep in the Greg's bed (as if it couldn't get any worse), homeless person steals Greg's Wrx while roommate is sleeping and runs a red light getting t-boned by a mini van. Here's what I don't understand, why is there a gofundme campaign? Wasn't the car insured? Greg's roommate and the homeless person are at fault here, why should people donate money? Roommate better pay for everything the insurance doesn't cover.

Zyzyxxz

Yeah, the Levante is a knock off of the Infiniti FX/QX70 for sure.

True story. Last week I was going out with my wife and remarked that "you know, the Maserati SUV has been out for almost a whole year and we've yet to see one?" etc. etc. A few hours later, one passes by and I simply said "I knew that would happen! What are the chances?" But in person, the rear end looks like a lifted Subaru WRX hatchback. Even the profile all the way to the C-pillar shape. 3G Impreza Hatch, folks.

The biggest pieces of the interior: center console, vents, and screen make up 90% of the interior though, and make the Infiniti look 10x more modern and up to date than the old ass interior of the GLA. The bits Infiniti kept are the best bits, so I don't see that being an issue.

Oh gawd that GLA interior is atrocious, I've never had any reason to sit in one and if I had a friend that owned one I would never see that friend so this is the first time I've seen what it looks like.

Just came across this thread on reddit and I don't know whether I should cry or laugh.

https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/comments/5z8msa/sti_serie_hyperblue_owner_came_home_to_find_his/

So basically this guy, Greg, lives with a roommate and he owns an STI Wrx. Roommate brings in a homeless person to sleep in the Greg's bed (as if it couldn't get any worse), homeless person steals Greg's Wrx while roommate is sleeping and runs a red light getting t-boned by a mini van. Here's what I don't understand, why is there a gofundme campaign? Wasn't the car insured? Greg's roommate and the homeless person are at fault here, why should people donate money? Roommate better pay for everything the insurance doesn't cover.

Insurance might not be paying market rate?

Maybe the roommate doesn't have insurance?

The guy just might be pulling a fast one for some quick cash?

friday

If you want a new car then I would say go look at Mazda 6's. I don't know what kind of luxury options they have, but I would say it fits most of your requirements.

If you are also looking at used cars then I would say Lexus has quite a few nice cars in the 30k price range.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I swear the DMV is the worst expirence on the face of the planet. I've been here for an hour just trying to get new plates.

In Central FL, our DMVs do appointments and also give you tickets with a time to come back. So if you don't have an apt, you grab a ticket and it'll say come back at 4:30. So you go home or go to work and return later. Pretty neat.

In Central FL, our DMVs do appointments and also give you tickets with a time to come back. So if you don't have an apt, you grab a ticket and it'll say come back at 4:30. So you go home or go to work and return later. Pretty neat.

I wish VA would adopt this system. You wait in line until someone gives you a ticket with a number, and then you sit and wait until someone feels like doing their job. Its the worst.

I don't think I'll be going ND right away, it's just too much money rn and I wouldn't be able to afford it until next year. Probably will buy an older one for now.

Join the NB club! Its such a great car.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?

KS does this as well. After living in MO my whole life, I was blown away by how easy the DMV was here.

I can check-in on my PHONE. It tells me there's a 50 min wait. I leave my house 30 minutes later, and when I arrive there's only one person in front of me.

Didn't mean to, but found myself driving in snow today in the Hellcat. :-/ Only about half an inch accumulated, but it wasn't as bad as I expected. Shitty, yes... but so long as you go slow and are very methodical, it's fine in city traffic. Definitely wouldn't get on it, though.

friday

I don't think I'll be going ND right away, it's just too much money rn and I wouldn't be able to afford it until next year. Probably will buy an older one for now.

NB's and NC's are real cheap right now. Good NC's can be had for 6-10k easily. I just sold my other NB for $3,500. The NA's are actually the worst deal right now unless you specifically want that old school styling.

I think a Mazda 6 will fit the bill nicely. If you want a car that drives and handles well, has a mad amount of value for the price, and has pretty good reliability (I know what Consumer Report says about Mazda vs. Toyota/Lexus, but I personally have not known anyone with Mazdas that have given them problems after driving for 5-10+ years the same model). The quality of the interior feels much higher than you'd expect for the price range as well. You can easily get a nicely optioned one for less than $30K easy.

If you want a more normal answer, the Toyota Camry is another great car that I think most people will recommend you. You can find a nice SE model or higher trim for sub-$30K as well.

If you're in the used market, try looking up both of the above or get a nicely used Lexus IS300 or IS series for $30K-ish.

Shadoken

A used IS300/350 would do you good. Try to get one with the premium audio system ( I forget the name , Levinson or something). I was in a friends car and it was amazing. Interior is really good as well , only gripe would be the weird mouse controller for the infotainment system.

ascii42

A used IS300 would do you good. Try to get one with the premium audio system ( I forget the name , Levinson or something). I was in a friends car and it was amazing. Interior is really good as well , only gripe would be the weird mouse controller for the infotainment system.

IS is probably too small for 4 tall people. If so, perhaps the ES or GS would be better.

Accord V6 Touring.

Smokey

Car washed

New brakes

Hit free way. Put car in sport mode. Use paddle shifters .

Fukaaaaaaaaaaa new car!! Devil won't get me no sir!!!

IS is probably too small for 4 tall people. If so, perhaps the ES or GS would be better.

That may very well be true, but finding a relatively new-ish and slightly used ES and GS for sub-$30K will be tough. The IS isn't bad for taller people either, if it's not a long road trip or something, then someone who's 6'-ish will be fine for a period of time.

Fuuuu. Just ordered a set from tirerack for my ranger YESTERDAY.

they do em every march and october. usually like $100 off orders of $450. they purposely sell them in sets of 2 or sets of 4 so if you want to buy 4 at once, its best to make two orders of 2 to get $200 off.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
they do em every march and october. usually like $100 off orders of $450. they purposely sell them in sets of 2 or sets of 4 so if you want to buy 4 at once, its best to make two orders of 2 to get $200 off.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll hold off for this sale next time I need a set.

v1lla21

NB's and NC's are real cheap right now. Good NC's can be had for 6-10k easily. I just sold my other NB for $3,500. The NA's are actually the worst deal right now unless you specifically want that old school styling.
Nice. I'll probably go with a NB as to not spend much money unless I find a really good deal on a newer one.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
So just how fast is the standard Alfa Romeo Giulia?

1/4 mile: 13.6 @ 104MPH. 0-60: 5.0 seconds.

Umm, that's pretty fucking quick for a 2.0 base car...It's the fastest car in its class, and it's also RWD. I believe it also may be one of the cheapest.

Pinewood

Umm, that's pretty fucking quick for a 2.0 base car...It's the fastest car in its class, and it's also RWD. I believe it also may be one of the cheapest.
Is that the base base model or the Veloce spec?

burgerdog

California lets you set up appointments online. It's hard not to show up with a smug ass face when you see 50 people in there waiting and you go to the front of the line as soon as you get there.

negitoro7

What's the best product for removing water spots on windows? Have a leak in my garage that I've neglected to patch up and the car has paid the price for it in the form of water spots that are deeply embedded :/

Those are awesome numbers.

I finally stopped by a Chrysler Fiat dealer last weekend to take a look at the new Alfa Romeo Giulia's. I personally think they look great and unique. I was surprised a friend I brought along didn't like them. He's not a car enthusiast or anything, but he wasn't impressed by the car's design or anything. If anything, he liked the Alfa Romeo 4C's a little more.

I'm curious if only car enthusiasts like us are the only ones interested in the Alfa Romeo Giulia's... Hopefully sales take off and Alfa stays in the US. I was listening to Consumer Report's Car Talk #111 and they just took the new Alfa Romeo Giulia for a spin and they love it, but they also mention that reliability may be an issue that people will stay away from Alfa for.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Those are awesome numbers.

I finally stopped by a Chrysler Fiat dealer last weekend to take a look at the new Alfa Romeo Giulia's. I personally think they look great and unique. I was surprised a friend I brought along didn't like them. He's not a car enthusiast or anything, but he wasn't impressed by the car's design or anything. If anything, he liked the Alfa Romeo 4C's a little more.

I'm curious if only car enthusiasts like us are the only ones interested in the Alfa Romeo Giulia's... Hopefully sales take off and Alfa stays in the US. I was listening to Consumer Report's Car Talk #111 and they just took the new Alfa Romeo Giulia for a spin and they love it, but they also mention that reliability may be an issue that people will stay away from Alfa for.

It should have a market of older enthusiasts and younger buyers who can't quite afford loaded Audis and Jags.

The (historical) reliability issue will be a real drag for older buyers who remember but enthusiasts will know that the components are solid.

It should have a market of older enthusiasts and younger buyers who can't quite afford loaded Audis and Jags.

The (historical) reliability issue will be a real drag for older buyers who remember but enthusiasts will know that the components are solid.

I don't know, it's a very competitive market for the luxury sedan. I personally think the prices for the Audi A4, Alfa Romeo Giulia, Jaguar XE, Mercedes C300, BMW 3 series are all about the same. The differences in price between them well relatively evenly equipped aren't as big of a difference to scare a buyer off one way or the other. I think it comes down to personal preference among brand, styling, and options at that point as well as discounts from a dealer.

I'm not really sure if the Alfa Romeo Giulia will stand out seeing as how I haven't seen anyone drive it out on the streets since it's release yet in the Bay Area. I've seen a few Alfa Romeo 4C's in the last few months, so I'm hoping to see the Giulias driving around. They're gorgeous.

If I were to personally buy one of these luxury sedans, I may actually go for the Jaguar XE instead. But that's because I like its styling and brand more.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I don't know, it's a very competitive market for the luxury sedan. I personally think the prices for the Audi A4, Alfa Romeo Giulia, Jaguar XE, Mercedes C300, BMW 3 series are all about the same. The differences in price between them well relatively evenly equipped aren't as big of a difference to scare a buyer off one way or the other. I think it comes down to personal preference among brand, styling, and options at that point as well as discounts from a dealer.

I'm not really sure if the Alfa Romeo Giulia will stand out seeing as how I haven't seen anyone drive it out on the streets since it's release yet in the Bay Area. I've seen a few Alfa Romeo 4C's in the last few months, so I'm hoping to see the Giulias driving around. They're gorgeous.

If I were to personally buy one of these luxury sedans, I may actually go for the Jaguar XE instead. But that's because I like its styling and brand more.

I haven't seen a single Giulia on the road. To be honest, it didn't even hit me till reading these posts that this car is actually on the road.

No manual, no buy for me. That said, if their long-term reliability holds up, I would very likely consider it for my next car.

In ~three years, I know I'll need a 4dr sedan - but I'll still want something fun. Right now the BMW M3 is the most likely candidate - but who knows what I'll want in 2020.

Top Bottom