• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Press Previews

KU_

So the wife just decided she wants a Wii U. Anyone have best guesses on what are the odds of being able to walk into a Best Buy Sunday morning and grabbing one? I've never bought a console on day one.

I'm going to try midnight at my Wal-Mart. If that doesn't work, Target is the first to open on Sunday morning at 8 A.M., followed by Best Buy and Gamestop at 11 A.M.

any info yet on parental controls? Eg if I download ZombieU, I don't want my kids' accounts to be able to access it.

Have you gone insane..? :Oo

It's your duty as a responsible parent to train your children how to survive a zombie apocalypse. If you restrict your children from such things I'm going to inform Social Services!!!

Well since there is no OT I guess I'll post these here if thats okay. (Since this thread has kinda become the OT anyway lol)

I make really lame videos, but decided to do a WiiU Countdown for a week leading up to the launch of the WiiU. I will post stuff like my favorite Wii memories and YouTube News episodes on my two launch games. After the countdown I'll post a video of me getting it.

WiiU Countdown - 7 Days Remain - Introduction - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTiUswipmvk

6 Days Remain - Wii Memories - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty-myG_vs50

5 Days Remain - Top 10 Wii Games (So Far) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG7fXUcykWc

New video each day until 11/17. The video where I get the system will come when I get a chance. Hope you enjoy them if you watch them.

Anywayz: All these WiiU previews are awesome. I need to stop spoiling things though. Already looked at the WiiU Soundtrack, first level of ZombiU, etc. I need to stop...keep em coming.

Like I say in my video: OH MY GAWD! ONLY FIVE MORE DAYS UNTIL WIIU! (I did that for one of the days atleast.)

Meh...I really don't feel hyped for this. Really the only reason I'm buying it at launch is to get the expanse out've the way since I know its a Nintendo system and I will want its games way before a price drop happens. Well...a NSMB game is enough for me. Those always gets me.

Hobby

I don't know where they're getting this info from (says a foreign site, but I have no clue which), but Inside Games are reporting that it's rumored that 400k units are prepared for launch in North America. Not only that, but according to a comparative investigation between Wii and Wii U's pre order situation at stores, Wii U has a 50% to 100% increase in pre orders over Wii. Take with a grain of salt.

http://www.inside-games.jp/article/2012/11/14/61355.html

Bah, terrible battery life and can't REALLY play while charging? That sounds awful. Will wait for improved hardware. I'll see what solutions people have 3 years from now when the hardware has hopefully been lowered in price to where it should have been at launch.

antonz

I don't know where they're getting this info from (says a foreign site, but I have no clue which), but Inside Games are reporting that it's rumored that 400k units are prepared for launch in North America. Not only that, but according to a comparative investigation between Wii and Wii U's pre order situation at stores, Wii U has a 50% to 100% increase in pre orders over Wii. Take with a grain of salt.

http://www.inside-games.jp/article/2012/11/14/61355.html

Its hard to say what launch inventory is like. NOA is claiming to have more ready than Wii Launch which means more than 476k. I could believe preorders being much higher though because people dont want that 2006 repeat

tenchir

Bah, terrible battery life and can't REALLY play while charging? That sounds awful. Will wait for improved hardware. I'll see what solutions people have 3 years from now when the hardware has hopefully been lowered in price to where it should have been at launch.

You could still play with the gamepad while it is still charging, where did you get the idea it wouldn't? How else do else do you think the gamepad on the kiosk demo stations can last throughout the day?

Its hard to say what launch inventory is like. NOA is claiming to have more ready than Wii Launch which means more than 476k. I could believe preorders being much higher though because people dont want that 2006 repeat
Also in 2006 their coming off the GameCube. Now their coming off the Wii.

AndTAR

So the Game Pad video does in fact have minor compression artifacts, according to the GiantBomb podcast.. Interesting. They did claim it was on the verge of nitpicking, though.

cajunator

Banned
I liked what I saw on the gamepad during the Rayman demo.
Nice and clear and crisp.
Had a huge grin as I was playing it.
Couldnt help it really.

So the Game Pad video does in fact have minor compression artifacts, according to the GiantBomb podcast.. Interesting. They did claim it was on the verge of nitpicking, though.
Basically said it was when viewing text but very very slight. Unless you know what your looking for our you won't notice. Forensic evidence really.

braves01

Banned
I turned it off a while ago they were sucking the life out of my hype *waap waap*

After giving NSMB U flak for its music and creativity in general, Brad seemed more positive than I thought he'd be, especially considering the system's essentially gimped right now since there are no online features.

.la1n

ACIII is HUD-less on the TV if you play with both screens.

Nice.

That's actually pretty awesome and look forward to other games using it. Would be really nice in games like Dishonored. I have held off on purchasing ACIII so I may bite when I pick up a Wii U next year.

Spazznid

If only those games were actually good

:(

Wow, cl-ass-y.

Guess I can't comment though, I'm probably not high enough on your list to have one of them "opinions"...

Can't wait for my Wii U, however and the HUD-less idea is what made deciding on getting ME3 and ACIII for the Wii U even though I ALREADY have/will have them on PC, even harder...

Double-dip WANT!

Anth0ny

You could still play with the gamepad while it is still charging, where did you get the idea it wouldn't? How else do else do you think the gamepad on the kiosk demo stations can last throughout the day?

I don't have a convenient outlet anywhere near my HDTV.

I wish they'd just release a wired controller or something. I get that it wouldn't work so well with the asynchronous gameplay but... ugh. That battery life is pathetic.

Hoping most games support the Pro controller, but I'm 99% sure first party Nintendo games outside Smash Bros won't.

Told you guys :p

mj1108

If the Rayman demo is anything to go by, finding any compression is really nitpicking. The screen during the demo looked fantastic.

Kandinsky

How is not having the hud on the TV nice or even good, I really hope multiplatform games just stick a nice logo on the gamepad if not using off tv play.

Iceblade

Do we know yet if the Pro controller transmits data via the cord when charging on USB? Or does it only accept a charge and transmit all data wirelessly?

Effect

ACIII is HUD-less on the TV if you play with both screens.

Nice.

That is actually pretty cool.

Ugh. This is crazy. Even knowing the issues AC3 could possibly (patch or no patch) have I keep going back and forth on picking up. Didn't realize my interest in it was this high. :(

Downhome

Well since there is no OT I guess I'll post these here if thats okay. (Since this thread has kinda become the OT anyway lol)

I make really lame videos, but decided to do a WiiU Countdown for a week leading up to the launch of the WiiU. I will post stuff like my favorite Wii memories and YouTube News episodes on my two launch games. After the countdown I'll post a video of me getting it.

WiiU Countdown - 7 Days Remain - Introduction - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTiUswipmvk

6 Days Remain - Wii Memories - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty-myG_vs50

5 Days Remain - Top 10 Wii Games (So Far) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MG7fXUcykWc

New video each day until 11/17. The video where I get the system will come when I get a chance. Hope you enjoy them if you watch them.

Anywayz: All these WiiU previews are awesome. I need to stop spoiling things though. Already looked at the WiiU Soundtrack, first level of ZombiU, etc. I need to stop...keep em coming.

Like I say in my video: OH MY GAWD! ONLY FIVE MORE DAYS UNTIL WIIU! (I did that for one of the days atleast.)

Meh...I really don't feel hyped for this. Really the only reason I'm buying it at launch is to get the expanse out've the way since I know its a Nintendo system and I will want its games way before a price drop happens. Well...a NSMB game is enough for me. Those always gets me.

Son of a bitch.

How is it that more people aren't talking about this YT channel!?

Wow, cl-ass-y.

Guess I can't comment though, I'm probably not high enough on your list to have one of them "opinions"...

hahaha - seriously what the actual fuck? Don't take it out on me if your insecure about your own tastes. Am not sure what the hell I said otherwise that could insult you so.

Not played Tekken in years but I think what their doing is a lot of fun.

Okay, what I meant to say was, "Those games are actually good."
Forgot to assert my opinion as fact.
Please forgive me.

...wha-...
I was more referring to you 'high opinions' malarkey. I don't really care if someone says IMO or not - but yeah I've no idea what your going on about now but oh wells.

Spazznid

hahaha - seriously what the actual fuck? Don't take it out on me if your insecure about your own tastes. Am not sure what the hell I said otherwise that could insult you so.

Okay, what I meant to say was, "Those games are actually good."
Forgot to assert my opinion as fact.
Please forgive me.

this is kinda funny read

SPOILER on Nintendo Land Zelda warning :3

10 Things About the Wii U That We’re Loving Or Hating
http://kotaku.com/5960459/10-things-about-the-wii-u-that-were-loving-or-hating

The Length of the Cords
Seriously. The Wii U GamePad charge cord and the charge cord for the Pro Controller both easily reach from my wall or console to my couch. Eight-foot cords! I think I'll be using that Pro Controller cord on my PS3 the next time my DualShock is running low on juice.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Yay.

How is not having the hud on the TV nice or even good, I really hope multiplatform games just stick a nice logo on the gamepad if not using off tv play.

The less hud the better in most cases IMHO. Outside of stuff like in the MP games, or in Halo 4, where some of the hud stuff makes sense and adds to the immersion, I find get in the way. Being able to push off the HUD stuff to the gamepad is awesome IMHO.

tha_devil

We could film an unboxing video too, but skipped the unboxing part and examined console & GamePad, then compared them to older Nintendo consoles and handhelds (N64, Gamecube, GB Micro, Wiimote, 3DS, etc):

http://www.gamereactor.es/noticias/40181/V%EDdeo%3A+Wii+U+vs+Gamecube+vs+N64/

I found it amazing L & R looks almost the same as N64 buttons :)

How the hell are we supposed to play any SERIOUS racing game, when you cant dose gass/brakes (ie a game like forza or gt).

zroid

Banned
I'm not a "serious" racing gamer, so don't murder me if this suggestion is offensively bad, but is there a particular reason the right analogue stick couldn't be used in place of a trigger?

jet1911

I'm not a "serious" racing gamer, so don't murder me if this suggestion is offensively bad, but is there a particular reason the right analogue stick couldn't be used in place of a trigger?

It can but then you loose the capacity to look around with the right stick.

Top Bottom