• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True System Sellers. What systems have you bought for ONE game?

Genesis - Jurassic Park
Super NES - Hook
Sega CD - Cliffhanger
Playstation 1 - Kileak the DNA imperative(It had perrrty screenshots)
Saturn - Panzer Dragoon
N64 - Mario 64
PS2 - SSX
PS3 - The eventual release of MGS4.
360 - Gears

shaowebb

Switched from saving up for a YEAR for a SNES to switching to buying a Genesis after 15 minutes in Toys'R'Us as a kid playing Golden Axe and Sonic the Hedgehog.

Bought a 360 for Culdcept Saga
Bought an XBOX for DOA 3

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
NES for Mario Bros.. not Super Mario
SNES for Street Fighter 2.. although i did rent the system for Super Mario World
Gameboy for Tetris
A computer with VGA support for Wolfenstein 3D
A 386 for Doom
A 486 for Rise of the Triad (got it because i wanted to run it in fullscreen :lol)
A Pentium II for Starcraft
A 3dfx Voodoo card for Quake 2

JKBii

I bought the Wii for Twilight Princess. I bought the DS for Super Mario 64 DS and I've been waiting for a new 3D platformer from Nintendo on that system ever since. I bought the Gamecube for Super Smash Bros Melee and I bought the N64 because I was impressed with Super Mario 64 and Mario Party although strangely I never actually owned either game.

Zophar

Gamecube for Wind Waker
Xbox for Fable (ugh)
Dreamcast for Marvel VS Capcom 2
360 for Oblivion
Wii for Mario Galaxy
Saturn for Virtua Fighter 2

Wizman23

Banned
I just bought a DS for Scribblenauts....it better be good! I was duped into buying a PS3 because of the massive jack off fest for MGS4 here on GAF and returned the game after Act 2. I did enjoy KZ2, and am looking forward to Uncharted 2.

dekjo

Jive Turkey said:
Nothing. A system needs a decent library before I'll consider a purchase. The closest thing I've done would be buying any Nintendo system for the Nintendo games.

Same here, except that only lasted through N64. Haven't bought any Nintendo systems since.

yukonrye

N64 - Mario 64
PSX - FFVII
PS2 - FFX
Wii - Mario Galaxy
DS - New York Times Crossword
PS3 - FFXIII (haven't bought the system yet though)

Ocho

Maybe I'll get dissed for this, but I bought an xbox to play Halo 2.

What? I'm a competitive whore, MLG was garnering a lot of attention I had to jump in.

(In the end, got pwned in Halo and got back to good ol' CS and PC games)

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Bought my 360 for Dead Rising.

My mate bought his for Bomberman, of all things. It was all he played for a good month or so.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
said it before, say it again

bought any system that comes with a power cable (handhelds not included)

I've never bought a console for one game really.

I bought the PS2 cause I had a PS1 and I wanted all my franchises like Twisted metal, Syphon Filter, GT and MGS back. I bought an Xbox because it was different from the PS2 and I could get all the multiplats on it. Also for the potential of Live and Shooter games. It was also a graphical powerhouse.

I usually buy a system because I love games, and thats what you need to play them. There will always be exclusive games so if you have the money and the time, you will be satisfied with any console imo.

Zeona

Neo Member
I bought a PS3 for MGS4 (bundle), thats the only time I purchased a console because of a single game I wanted to play. my other console purchases were also mainly for a certain game but the rest of the library was interesting enough to factor into the decision, which wasnt the case with the PS3 (I play most multiplat titles on my 360).

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Number 2 said:
NES for Mario Bros.. not Super Mario
SNES for Street Fighter 2.. although i did rent the system for Super Mario World
Gameboy for Tetris
A computer with VGA support for Wolfenstein 3D
A 386 for Doom
A 486 for Rise of the Triad (got it because i wanted to run it in fullscreen :lol)
A Pentium II for Starcraft
A 3dfx Voodoo card for Quake 2

Haha, flashback! I bought mine for Q2Test, I remember the coloured lights when you start the first level blew my tiny mind. I was a bit let down when they dialed them down for the retail build... I still remember that awful CLUNK-click of the card cutting in for the first time and me praying it was meant to do that. Mem'ries...

zweifuss

It's interesting if you think about it though, we aren't really buying the systems for one game only. We know there are more games coming out that will eventually justify the cost of the system. If we were truly buying a system for ONE game only, you'd be essentially paying $300-400 for a single game, which is a ripoff. But come to think about it, there are probably people out there that have wii and just wii sports, and that's it. Probably some more controllers too so their friends can play, but they have in essence paid $250+ for a system and a tech demo.

Struct09

N64 for Super Mario 64, and Wii for Twilight Princess. Otherwise I don't typically buy systems right at launch and wait for a few games I'm interested in to come out.

scotcheggz

SNES - Super mario world

PSone - Destruction Derby and Tekken

PS2 - Gran Turismo 3

Dreamcast - Soul Caliber (so so so awesome) & sega bass fishing (lol)

PS3 - Heavenly Sword (!!! I'd been out of console gaming for a while when my PS2 broke and played mostly just FFXI. When I saw the TV ad for HS I couldn't believe how awesome it looked, bought one a week later)

360 - Gears 1&2

GBA - Megaman Zero Series
Dreamcast - All the Capcom Fighters
N64 - Zelda OOT
PSP - Crisis Core
DS - Jump Ultimate Stars
Wii - Brawl/Mario Kart
360 - Halo 3
PS3 - Bluray/Metal Gear

PSX - Destruction Derby because my PC was too lame and it looked sooo good.

N64 - Super Mario 64 what else? Fabulous game!

Dreamcast - Sonic Adventure the Killer whale scene at the beginning, just fucking epic

PS2 - No game in particular, just had to have it and the games at launch sucked anyway :lol

Xbox- Halo
shooter heaven

Gamecube - hmm nothing in particular

PS3 - Motorstorm best arcade Racer in this gen until MS2 of course

Xbox 360 - Gears of War

Oneself

A list thread!!

N64 at launch for Mario 64 (and then KI Gold)
PSP near launch for Ridge Racer among others (and the fact that it was fuck awesome)
PS3 day one for Resistance among others
PS2 day one for Tekken Tag, SSX and Timesplitters
PSone for Tekken 2 and so much more
Saturn for Virtua Fighter 2 and more
I bought a Game Gear back in the days for NBA JAM and SOR2
ATARI7800/NES/SNES/GENESIS were bought by my parents/older brother back in the days.. but we asked for a NES because of Super Mario Bros. Pole Position 2 and Enduro were Atari's system sellers... we wanted a SNES for Mario Paint, Mario World and Mario Kart... and a Genesis for Gunstar, Sonic, Streets of Rage ...

Aztec_82

I bought a PS2 just so I could play WWF Smackdown Just Bring it!
I got an Xbox 360 just so I could play Splinter Cell Double Agent. And a PS3 for Metal Gear Solid 4 (I got the MSG4 bundle, the one with Old Snake all over the PS3 box).

Spasm

PS3 - Shadow of the Colossus. I had not planned on buying a PS3 till the day they announced PS2 upscaling/smoothing.

atom631

Neo Member
I've owned every system ever except neo geo(wasn't paying 200 for a game) and wii(sick of all things nintendo at this point in my life).

The only system I actually bought for a specific game was the DS and that was for chrono trigger. I missed playing it back in the day and I wasn't missing it again.

Other than that, I'm just a video game whore and need every system even if there aren't any games for it when I buy it.

I bought a PS1 because of FFVIII and Megaman X4
I bought a PS2 because of FFX
I bought a PS3 because of FFXIII/VsXIII and MGS4
I bought a Genesis because of Sonic 1, 2 and 3
I bought a DS because of Phoenix Wright series

Vinci

Danish
Nearly every relative in my family bought a Wii for Wii Sports. The remaining ones bought it for Wii Fit. They have needed nothing else to appease them.

No, I'm not being serious. Most of them own over half a dozen games at this point.

Personally, I've only done this once that I can remember. Purchased a SNES for Super Mario World.

zweifuss said:
It's interesting if you think about it though, we aren't really buying the systems for one game only. We know there are more games coming out that will eventually justify the cost of the system. If we were truly buying a system for ONE game only, you'd be essentially paying $300-400 for a single game, which is a ripoff. But come to think about it, there are probably people out there that have wii and just wii sports, and that's it. Probably some more controllers too so their friends can play, but they have in essence paid $250+ for a system and a tech demo.
If Animal Crossing never came out, I wouldn't own a Gamecube plain and simple. Sure, I eventually picked up Eternal Darkness and Sunshine and I got Smash last year from a friend who was moving away, but I did in fact buy it with the intention of only owning that one game. Though at the time I got the Gamecube, they were less expensive than what they launched at, I don't remember exactly how much.

If I ever get a Wii, it'll probably be because of one game too.

Tycho_b

PSX - Tekken
DC - Soul Calibur
PS2 - GT3
X360 - Gears
PS3 - Killzone 2

Soul Calibur - the game of all times compared to its competition when it was released (for me)

Monocle

Super Nintendo - Super Mario Bros.
N64 - Mario Kart 64
Playstation - Tekken 3
Playstation 2 - Tekken Tag Tournament
Xbox - Halo
Xbox 360 - Halo 3
Gamecube - Super Smash Bros. Melee
Wii - Super Smash Bros. Brawl

And soon... DS - Scribblenauts.

Yeah.

Tenks

PS2 -- GTA 3

I really don't know why people are listing virtually every single console they've bought. I'm sure it was a number of factors that decided on that purchase. GTA3 is really the only game that I went over to my friend's house, played it, went out the next day and got a PS2 + GTA3. Luckily for me PS2 is the greatest console ever so it was a wise purchase.

Malio

I bought a 360 for 'Tales of Vesperia' and the promise of more great RPG's!

I'm so happy with this exlusive, it's really validated my 360 purch...

oh, wait.

FU microsoft.

Mrbob

I bought a Gamecube for Resident Evil 4.

Other than that, I really can't say I have purchased other systems for one game only.

egocrata

Banned
DS for Nintendogs.

To be more precise, got the second DS for Nintendogs, so my then girlfriend, now wife left my DS alone. One of the reasons why we have had four DS (two fats, two lites) and we will probably get two DSi.

Damn you, Nintendo.

In other news, I got a PS3 for Rock Band and GTA4. I would have gotten a 360, but my wife wanted BluRay.

chewydogg

After playing Halo for 5 mins. on my brother's Xbox, I knew I was going to buy one.

I'll eventually buy a PS3 for The Last Guardian.

Top Bottom