• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks Durango specs: x64 8-core CPU @1.6GHz, 8GB DDR3 + 32MB ESRAM, 50GB 6x BD...

fixuis

Don't expect something drastic like 2 TF or more RAM. The numbers that we are looking at right now are on the optimistic side. The best case scenario for me is IF Sony can hit the 1.843 TF number alongside 192 GB/S RAM with a nonbloated OS.

I'm not expect miracles, but final devkits are supposed to come soon. I'm sure some folks here will pipe in at that time.

Weren't final devkits for ps4 supposed to come out this upcoming summer? Or has that changed now and they are coming out sooner?

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=498008 (Final kits this summer in title?)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I just wanted to clear the air. I know specs, and I've seen papers. This is the extent of my 'leakage'. I am not going to endorse either system as a work horse or the victor. Developers have averted doing any comparisons when pressed.

One dev, posting in this thread right now, has told me, he is amazed at how much the Orbis kit is improving. Proelite knows who I am talking about. If you want to play with bones, there it is. He is not making a single comparison to Durango.

In either case, third parties will develop for the lowest common denominator, this is a fact GAF needs to respect. I know some members get their dick's wet by knowing one machine is significantly more powerful, but all that does is lower the ceiling for third party tech. In the end, we all lose.

BTW no one has answered, has Karak managed to produce a single solitary fact since his initial cry for attention?

Appreciate your directness.

Not sure I agree on the third party side though. If both machines are close, then business pressure will push them to make games look on oar (they don't want to lose sales to 'inferior' ports). But if he machines have discrete idiosyncrasies that can be relatively easily tapped, then I don't see why you wouldn't exploit them. Eg (simplistic example) 60fps on orbis vs 30fos on Durango, or higher quality textures on Durango vs orbis. Assuming they also develop for PC, those assets would be available anyway.

I don't see it as a bad thing if each console develops its own personality and style of games. Would also make it useful for multi console owners to choose which platform to buy Multiplatform games on, based in their personal preferences.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
First gen games will be worse on second gen xb3?*

*if, as the poster you replied to implied, Microsoft take out the chip down the line.

Well it was idle speculation. But assumes they wouldn't remove it.

If they were going to remove it down the line it'd be be as isolated as possible on the motherboard and in the general architecture to make it easy to strip out.

AzaK

I have a question. For XBox fans, if Durango proves to be 'lesser than ' Orbis, as in DF comparisons show that Orbis is obviously superior, will any of you really not buy Durango? Same goes for PS fans. I imagine that even if people are crying over the rumoured specs now, it won't really cause a platform shift.

It sounds like both machines will be grunty as fuck compared to today's consoles and games will look a lot better. Then it's up to developers to make good ones.

Reiko

Banned
I really don't think we'll be seeing 60fps and 30fps multiplats anytime soon, unless the ports are borked.

If it targets 60fps, it targets 60fps.

missile

When I saw the "data move engines" I was going to post speculation that it was basically a fancy DMA controller, which everyone else seems to think, too. It is a basic function but I think if you're going to have some kind of fast scratchpad memory it helps a lot as you don't have to involve the CPU in copying the memory around (you can typically do this asynchronously and do something else while the memory is being copied). It's also possible that it might be able to do some basic manipulation on the data while it is being copied (for example, convert from one format to another, or do scatter/gather type stuff). ...
This. Hopefully! It would speed-up a lot of very sophisticated algorithms.

derFeef

I have a question. For XBox fans, if Durango proves to be 'lesser than ' Orbis, as in DF comparisons show that Orbis is obviously superior, will any of you really not buy Durango? Same goes for PS fans. I imagine that even if people are crying over the rumoured specs now, it won't really cause a platform shift.

It sounds like both machines will be grunty as fuck compared to today's consoles and games will look a lot better. Then it's up to developers to make good ones.

That only applies to people who do not care about first party games. I enjoy MS first party more than Sonys, so I will get both machines for sure. If Orbis is indeed stronger, it will only show in first party games anyway and if it turns out to get the better ports, then it will be my console of choice for 3rd party console games too.

AzaK

That only applies to people who do not care about first party games. I enjoy MS first party more than Sonys, so I will get both machines for sure. If Orbis is indeed stronger, it will only show in first party games anyway and if it turns out to get the better ports, then it will be my console of choice for 3rd party console games too.
I guess I was trying to assert that a lot if us have our platform biases and first party games plays a role, therefore we shouldn't get too worked up over what's better because in the end it won't matter too much. Maybe I'm wrong.

Bad news....
Not really because we will get far superior looking games no matter what. We're looking at a low threshold miles above what we have now.

If Wii U becomes a platform for devs to put their third party games on (yes I know that it's more likely Wii U will be left out) then I doubt they will not tap some of the power of Orbis/Durango.

Snubbers

This is pretty much what I am thinking too! Forza/Halo/Gears on one side, GT/Killzone/Uncharted on the other for me.. I couldn't live with 1 console this gen, and I doubt I will next gen..

However, I sense this gen that the choice between consoles being so close was very fragile, and things like multi-plat general superiority, and all the XBL niceties helped a sizeable chunk of people come down on the 360 side of things when you wayed it all up.

If Sony offer XGC and other XBL niceties for free, and the Multi-plats are visibly that bit better, and they release at the same time, I just wonder if that'll lead to a sizeable sway over to Sony..

I know you can't predict what will happen, as the market seems to be almost unpredicatable, but I'd hate to see the aftermath if MS lost considerably market share from this gen..

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Reiko said:
I really don't think we'll be seeing 60fps and 30fps multiplats anytime soon, unless the ports are borked. If it targets 60fps, it targets 60fps.
I think people suggest it'd be like PC ports getting a "free" fps upgrade.
Traditionally that kind of jump has required (at least)doubling of all resources, not just your shader throughput, but it did happen in a few multiplat games with XBox1 getting ~60 over PS2 and GC getting ~30. Given that rumors are saying 2 cpus are basically the same, I doubt there's much chance of that though.

Anyway this generation might end up more amusing than last one - we're more PC like then ever, yet we're also seeing some pretty old-school 90's style additions in there. Consoles are not much fun without that kinda stuff.

There's no way publishers will allow such major differences between console versions of a Sony/MS multiplatform game. Developers strive for platform parity because they know they'll generate a lot of bad will if one version is clearly inferior. Minor differences that will only be detected by the hardcore, sure. Major ones like 30 fps/60 fps, no effing way.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
There's no way publishers will allow such major differences between console versions of a Sony/MS multiplatform game. Developers strive for platform parity because they know they'll generate a lot of bad will if one version is clearly inferior. Minor differences that will only be detected by the hardcore, sure. Major ones like 30 fps/60 fps, no effing way.

disagree. If competitors start leveraging clear advantages in one platform over the other, they have to follow to be competitive.

I don't get why there is this idea of some conspiracy of equality going on.

Reiko

Banned

Max Payne 1 on Xbox was 60fps while the PS2 version was 30fps with framedrops.

True.

Still doesn't calm people down. All the 'secret sauce' talk is because people are afraid that Durango 3rd parties will be inferior.

If two plattforms like the Xbox 360 and the PS3 are regarded as having the same power, you are right. But when it's obvious that one plattform is considerably stronger, then of course they will use this power. If this power difference is true, they would have to implement an artificial framerate limitation because games would automatically run better, because of the similar architecture. And then PS4 users would be angry why their version looks exactly like the version for a weaker system (again, if those rumors are true).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Gemüsepizza;46785824 said:
If two plattforms like the Xbox 360 and the PS3 are regarded as having the same power, you are right. But when it's obvious that one plattform is considerably stronger, then of course they will use this power. If this power difference is true, they would have to implement an artificial framerate limitation because games would automatically run better, because of the similar architecture. And then PS4 users would be angry why their version looks exactly like the version for a weaker system (again, if those rumors are true).

or higher res textures for Durango, if more ram helps - just for balance ;)

let me get this straight..

so, it's a fact Orbis is more powerful than Durango, or it's just wishful thinking?

how much powerful were PS3 suppossed to be than 360 at the start of this gen?

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Gemüsepizza;46785824 said:

Someone had a nice big slice of delusion for breakfast.

stryke

so, it's a fact Orbis is more powerful than Durango, or it's just wishful thinking?

Right now it's just a discussion on a hypothetical situation if one console were to be more powerful enough that disparity in quality of multiplats is warranted.

There are rumors that PS4 has 50% more processing power and 3x faster RAM (but less of it). But some claim Microsoft can mitigate this difference with some "secret" technology.

Explain why GTA3 on Xbox was 30fps and PS2 was 30fps.

You are aware that the framerate does not necessarily has to be twice as high for a version to look considerably better? There are other areas, where devs can improve. The architecture between Xbox and PS2 was very different, of course the game did not run suddenly with higher framerates after simply porting the code. But the GTA3 version for Xbox was also of course better because of the more powerful hardware:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-retro-face-off-grand-theft-auto-3

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Reiko said:
Explain why GTA3 on Xbox was 30fps and PS2 was 30fps.
IIRC GTAs were heavily CPU bound (PS2 struggled in 20s more often than not), and XBox versions did get higher framerate, but not high enough to hit 60.
The fact XBox ports were 2? years late also meant a lot less effort/time was spent on those, reducing the chances of any significant upgrades.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

This the only two options we get?

Right now the rumoured specs, interpreted simplistically using only basic measures of ram bandwidth, CPU and GPU speed, give the advantage to orbis.

But there is apparently a lot of optimisation in the Durango architecture which should mean they are actually very close to each other in what you'll see on screen.

So - neither fact nor wishful thinking, just limited interpretation of limited information based on limited rumour :)

If Orbis is way more powerful, they'll use these resources for "easy" things like higher res, more AA/AF, better framerate. I think assets will be the same for multiplat titles.

Snubbers

How does the Wii-U fit in to that idea?

I think if there is a sizeable difference, I can see some aspects (assets) being largely the same, but framerate/resolution/AA are all things that are compromised between versions in this gen, As long as developers get the most out of each, that's all the console manufacturers can expect IMO..

It may boil down to the PC-esque having one console on 'medium' settings, the other on 'high'.. one may hit 60fps, the other drop to 30-40, or any other combination of factors..

oldergamer

I don't know what people don't think the difference might just be made up by not underclocking the CPU's on Durango. If they are really using the same CPU's but more, what if it's just a case that they are planning to raise the clock speed in the final kits? certainly happened with the 360 dev kits to an extent.

jaosobno

Why do people assume this? It's not like devs are getting 100 percent out of PCs now.

How can they ever hope to get 100% in a market where there is unseen hardware fragmentation with thousands upon thousands of different hardware combinations?

It's not like they can code to the metal on PC or optimize for specific hardware combination while shafting everybody else.

I don't know what people don't think the difference might just be made up by not underclocking the CPU's on Durango. If they are really using the same CPU's but more, what if it's just a case that they are planning to raise the clock speed in the final kits? certainly happened with the 360 dev kits to an extent.

It's possible, but unlikely. Clock speeds tend go down, not up... but it really depends on how hot things end up running.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Has this been posted?

Xbox 720 will just be called 'Xbox'
, to be hub for X-Surface 7-inch tablet and more

Microsoft is working with AMD on the central and graphics processors. The CPU will be 8-core, as previously rumoured, although each core will be running at 1.9GHz instead of the 1.6GHz reported. The rumours on the graphics trip were true, being an 800MHz GPU. "One benchmark used internally has been a custom build Watch Dogs E3 demo which runs at 55-60fps with only five cores at 100 per cent," we were told.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/49454/xbox-720-called-xbox-x-surface

Probably BS and they're just echoing the previous rumors.

Reiko

Banned
I can't wait for the lazy next gen PC ports....min requirements should be funny...

Start here. Crysis 3

Minimum System Operating Requirements for PC:
• Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8
• DirectX 11 graphics card with 1Gb Video RAM
• Dual core CPU
• 2GB Memory (3GB on Vista)
• Example 1 (Nvidia/Intel):
• Nvidia GTS 450
• Intel Core2 Duo 2.4 Ghz (E6600)
• Example 2 (AMD):
• AMD Radeon HD5770
• AMD Athlon64 X2 2.7 Ghz (5200+)

Recommended System Operating Requirements for PC:
• DirectX 11 graphics card with 1GB Video RAM
• Quad core GPU
• 4GB Memory
• Nvidia GTX 560
• Intel Core i3-530
• Example 2 (AMD):
• AMD Radeon HD5870
• AMD Phenom II X2 565

Hi-Performance PC Specifications:
• Latest DirectX 11 graphics card
• Latest quad core CPU
• 8GB Memory
• NVidia GTX 680
• Intel Core i7-2600k
• Example 2 (AMD):
• AMD Radeon HD7970
• AMD Bulldozer FX4150

deadlast

So look and feel wise we are expecting a repeat of this gen for multiplatform game. How does the amount of ram affect the size of the game world and number of players on screen (ie 16 players vs 32 players).

jaosobno

If one machine offers visibly better performance than the other one, I would buy that console, but then again, I'm not in love with either of the brands.

If performance turns out to be a wash then service (Live/PSN) and 1st party offerings would be primary deciding factor for me and in that case my answer would probably be PS4 (IMO, PSN+ offers much more value for money than Gold Live and Sony's 1st party offerings are unmatched in quality).

Acheteedo

If Orbis is way more powerful, they'll use these resources for "easy" things like higher res, more AA/AF, better framerate. I think assets will be the same for multiplat titles.

If that's the case, and the DS4 is finally brought into modern day design, then I'm jumping ship.

Top Bottom