• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TERA |OT| F2P starting in February! Were you expecting a parade?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's really difficult to fight the instinct to dodge everything.

jiien

It's really difficult to fight the instinct to dodge everything.

I agree. I'm not much of a tank myself. If you want to practice, what I've been doing is pretending I'm the tank. Since I'm almost always behind and offcenter of the BAM, I can see everything it's doing, so I dodge through all of the ground pound/swipes, and hit through the rest. Obviously not really getting hit at all, but it gives you a feel for how often you should use the dodges, and on which attacks to use them.

I definitely vastly prefer my warrior in a DPS role though. The mobility makes it a great fun to play as I can dash in and out of melee range with any number of attacks. I suspect that the teleport I get soon will make this my favorite class ever in all MMOs.

NeOak

Sorry if this has already been asked. I am pondering jumping in on this. How soloable is this game? Is it more or less like WoW where you can get to max solo with any class, just need groups for dungeons/group quests?

Same, but with the extra that you also need a group to tackle BAMs early on. Or, you could solo it too. Your choice.

Switters

Does anyone know if the digital download comes with a PDF manual? Or if there's anywhere to download or view it online?

I looked but nothing came up. Thanks.

arimanius

Got my warrior to 23 last night. Grouped up with a Lancer to do the Basilisks and it was so frustrating at the beginning.

We kept dying and I couldn't get my dodge down when they would do the turning swipe attack. Finally got it semi down but my up time on the mob was no where near optimal, but we were able to kill them very slowly. Then a priest showed up and frustrating became fun and we kicked their butt from here to lumbertown.

It got me thinking. Since this isn't the traditional combat mmorpg, I honestly don't know if I have the skill to play a warrior. The next thing I need to do is BoL and I'm not really looking forward to it. I hate being the weak link in a party.

Got my warrior to 23 last night. Grouped up with a Lancer to do the Basilisks and it was so frustrating at the beginning.

We kept dying and I couldn't get my dodge down when they would do the turning swipe attack. Finally got it semi down but my up time on the mob was no where near optimal, but we were able to kill them very slowly. Then a priest showed up and frustrating became fun and we kicked their butt from here to lumbertown.

It got me thinking. Since this isn't the traditional combat mmorpg, I honestly don't know if I have the skill to play a warrior. The next thing I need to do is BoL and I'm not really looking forward to it. I hate being the weak link in a party.

Once you've learned the enemies attack patterns it really is just a case of reading their moves and avoiding any damage - there will always be some AoE attack that manages to hit you though lol

In your team the Lancer needs to be drawing the aggro anyway, so you will have more room for error

BoL isn't too hard, I finished it as a duo (Lanc/Sorc) so you shouldn't struggle too much

It's all about glyphs and finding the right skill rotation for your character. Do a bunch of BoL's to get it down and then you will be pleasantly surprised. This game has a very steep learning curve, as do most classes.

Slacker

Did my first SM run last night (28 mystic). I love how this game really demands skill from its players to be successful. I've had runs where I've barely had to touch the lancer, and others where I have to babysit his ass the whole way (last night was the latter).

Made arrangements for the kids to go elsewhere all day tomorrow. Time to catch up with the rest of the guild on VoT. (I'm Streblo - aka Mr. AFK). :) PvPers come join us as soon as you can. It's a small guild but it's a great group of players.

Warrior tanking in Tera has been THE most fun thing I have ever done in an mmo.
Hold threat and use your own skill to not take damage? Count me in!
So far I've solo'd every BAM I've come across except those spider egg guys. Their attacks are quite quick so they are tuff to get a read on. But if Darksouls taught me anything it was this simple lesson, "If you can hurt it you can kill it".

2San

Warrior tanking in Tera has been THE most fun thing I have ever done in an mmo.
Hold threat and use your own skill to not take damage? Count me in!
So far I've solo'd every BAM I've come across except those spider egg guys. Their attacks are quite quick so they are tuff to get a read on. But if Darksouls taught me anything it was this simple lesson, "If you can hurt it you can kill it".
I think the biggest problem with a Warrior tank is with the high level instances, you don't have time to learn there. You need to play great on your first try, otherwise your party will hate you for it. Though I'm pretty sure when party matching Warriors get seen as DD's.

Because you're gonna keep the item until the next tier, so it's a waste of money to kill something 5% faster for 10 hours tops

I don't find it a waste. I'm not grinding dungeons for golds and getting every piece of gear to +6 but I will use what I have available. I keep all the gear drops and rewards I get to use as enchantment fodder while selling the rest that are not of equal tier. The only money I spend is on Alkahest. The higher level of enchantment you are able to reach, the longer the gear will last you and it gives you a pretty large advantage in PVP (and PVE) encounters.

It has been much easier for me to get to +6 than during beta, so I assumed they made it easier after adding the higher enchantment tiers and Alkahest but maybe I've just been lucky...

We're in Believe, same guild name as that of the Dragonfall GAF guild. Recruitment is open. We've only 35 members (some of which are alts), and we're not really actively advertising to get more members. It keeps the guild personal and close knit. You're more than welcome to join us. Just search for Believe and apply, and someone will get you in.

Smaller, well organized guilds, can be just as effective as a 300 member zerg guild. For any GAF players interested in PVP, don't let the large membership numbers of Dragonfall lure you away from one of the most fun MMO experiences you could possibly have.

everyone need to buy an aggression crystal just for fun ^_^

This is a staple in my inventory.

I quest in a small party that has been static from about 39-48 and since I'm with an Archer and a Priest, my Berserker does all the tanking. It's actually pretty effective.

arimanius

Once you've learned the enemies attack patterns it really is just a case of reading their moves and avoiding any damage - there will always be some AoE attack that manages to hit you though lol

In your team the Lancer needs to be drawing the aggro anyway, so you will have more room for error

BoL isn't too hard, I finished it as a duo (Lanc/Sorc) so you shouldn't struggle too much

Once I learned the pattern it did become a bit easier. Never party with a lancer so I don't know how good he was. He died a couple of times and I would just dodge the mob or use smoke aggressor until he got back.

Good to hear BoL isn't to hard. Going to try to get a group this weekend. Maybe try the dungeon finder.

It's all about glyphs and finding the right skill rotation for your character. Do a bunch of BoL's to get it down and then you will be pleasantly surprised. This game has a very steep learning curve, as do most classes.

It was fun after the priest showed up and my risk of dying got a lot lower. I'll have to check on the glyphs. The only one I have right now is the one that adds the chance to stun on our default attack.

This is a staple in my inventory.

I quest in a small party that has been static from about 39-48 and since I'm with an Archer and a Priest, my Berserker does all the tanking. It's actually pretty effective.

i like it because it pulls mob and bams to you confusing the shit out of the lancer/warrior LOL. CR Was great when i was getting chased and they didn't know why xD

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Man, I forgot about the crystals breaking on death. I had a huge stream of deaths at one point when I was in an area slightly higher than my level...I had some bro crystals, too.

That whole experience encouraged me to start leveling alchemy. :p

the members currently in the BELIEVE guild on dragonfall are very mature. dont let the amount of them distract you

To be honest, the only thing I wish us Believe members did was talk and group more. NEED MORE GROUPING! ;)

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Just killed my first BAM, solo. What a rush! Dodging around, waiting on health potion cooldowns, etc. I was down to 119hp or so left at one point. So much fun!

VPKpl.jpg

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Just killed my first BAM, solo. What a rush! Dodging around, waiting on health potion cooldowns, etc. I was down to 119hp or so left at one point. So much fun!

Solo BAM hunting is a blast. I enjoy it for BAMs a few levels below me since, as a Lancer, I have poo DPS. Great work though! That BAM is a rough one at a low level to solo (those electric shock attacks are annoying...).

Solo BAM hunting is a blast. I enjoy it for BAMs a few levels below me since, as a Lancer, I have poo DPS. Great work though! That BAM is a rough one at a low level to solo (those electric shock attacks are annoying...).

yep. when you are down. they just spam their shockballs at you. Didn't have enough time to get back up.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Yeah when they go shock-mode it's rough. I just arrived in this area for the first time ever this morning, and didn't even know the Kumas were BAMs. I go over there, see them roaming, and realize that they are. So this was my first real BAM fight. I loved it!

I figured out that when they get really pissed is when the shock mode happens, and they get somewhat faster so as a Slayer it was just better to run around them in a circle and wait for the shock mode to wear off. Otherwise, I kept my MP up by slashing him and using one of my shouts, and dodged between his legs after using Knockdown or Whirlwind. If I felt like I had enough time, I would Overhand Strike. I constantly kept a speed potion on me, and used my health pots as well when needed. I got down to red-blinking health twice, both times were caused by me not having the MP to dodge. I'll know better next time to take it a bit slower.

And yes, I agree, this area (and post level 20, for that matter) is where the game has really started clicking for me. My Slayer feels like a bad ass.

I don't plan on renewing my sub. Combat is fun and the world is pretty at times but I think on the whole I'm done with the MMO genre, wish I realized that during the headstart event. lol. If anything this game is serving a good purpose in wasting time waiting for Diablo 3.

Been watching a bit of Tera livestreaming and it does look like a lot of fun. Much more interactive than the traditional MMOs.

I'm wondering how similar this game is to Vindictus, if at all?

Really interested but it's so close to D3 and GW2.

oktarb

Don't tell anyone I know but I have an admission to make.

I created a Popori Mystic. I made him look like an otter/ferret. he's named Odder. I love him. The harvesting animation alone makes me smile. I thought they were stupid. I would create my Amani demon lords and mock these furry critters. I was wrong.

Been watching a bit of Tera livestreaming and it does look like a lot of fun. Much more interactive than the traditional MMOs.

I'm wondering how similar this game is to Vindictus, if at all?

Really interested but it's so close to D3 and GW2.

I've not played much of Vindictus but from what I did play, they're both action based but the similarities end there really. Vindictus is more like an instanced dungeon crawler whereas Tera has a full explorable world. The combat in both is fast paced but Vindictus is much more steeped in action whereas Tera does keep some more traditional MMORPG elements with hotkeys and such, but does a lot to set it apart from the rest.
Tera is the more polished of the two, by far

I'd have to let someone else divulge on the details, I've really not played much of Vindictus

Peterthumpa

I would love to get a test key too. Bought a new rig and I'm willing to buy the game if it runs well and looks as good as in those screens being posted here.

Thanks!

dc89

On the edge about getting this. I played in 1 of the beta's and found it really fun also I need something to play instead of rotating MW3 & LoL.

Not sure if it'd hold my interest and none of my friends will be getting it. Not sure what to do!

I think the biggest problem with a Warrior tank is with the high level instances, you don't have time to learn there. You need to play great on your first try, otherwise your party will hate you for it. Though I'm pretty sure when party matching Warriors get seen as DD's.

They are seen as dps so I'll just have to group with people in the guild. And as far as not making a mistake that's what I like about it. Gives me a sense of actually doing something. I was a raid leader in WoW and I can't tell you how many times I just wanted to control all 25 toons at once so I could make sure people were not messing up. As a warrior I feel I have alot of control over the outcome of the fight, even more so than a lancer. (Granted I haven't played a lancer yet so this opinion may be off in left field)
I just love that if I'm good enough (which I feel I am) I can avoid almost all of what the mob throws at me.

T.O.P

Banned
Had to select the Samael server for pvp

BTW the CE items that you have to claim in game, are like forever there? like, you can use them with every character you create?

Account Items
Items listed in the "Account Items" tab of the Item Claim can be redeemed on every character you create on your game account. If you decide to make an alt on a different server to play with some friends, you will still be able to show off your lion mount!

found it

Visceir

I guess it's a bit more important in pvp servers where your survivability depends from the higher level :D

I've actually gotten ganked very rarely, maybe 4 - 5 times during the time I've leveled...its really easy to avoid it and I've barely done any pvp :(. I've been thinking it might be fun to level as an outlaw in a small group while wiping out everyone else who crossed our path.

Top Bottom