• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest 7: Fragments of the Forgotten Past |OT| Roman numerals are hard

Aeana

1SebCGM.png

lDLEAQZ.png

Title: Dragon Quest 7: Fragments of the Forgotten Past
Developer: Arte Piazza / Square Enix
Publisher: Nintendo
System: Nintendo 3DS
Genre: RPG
Release: September 16, 2016 - retail/eShop

Official site: http://dragonquest7.nintendo.com/ - visit this for more in-depth information. There's no real reason to recreate it in this post when they've done such a good job.

Dragon Quest 7 was originally released for the PlayStation in August, 2000. It was the only main Dragon Quest game released during that era, and it had a long and storied development which included at least one platform jump, originally being developed for the N64. The resulting game became infamous in many circles for its dated look and sheer daunting length, but is remembered fondly by the majority of fans for its interesting take on time travel, massive amount of content, and memorable vignettes and locations.

VziDZDR.png

AcScdNM.png
  • Recreated in full 3D.
  • Over-the-shoulder third-person battle perspective to appease cosmicblizzard.
  • Class changing system with unique outfits for each character/class.
  • Fragment locating services such as a fragment detector that marks the tablet fragments on your map, and a new companion who can give you hints about shard locations at any time.
  • Visible encounters similar to Dragon Quest 9, with a fully redesigned world map to accommodate them.
  • The Monster Meadow and The Haven sidequests have been expanded significantly to take advantage of StreetPass. You can also form parties of monsters at the monster park and take them into dungeons to find treasures.

VneHLQz.png

HobbyConsolas - 9.2/10 (Spanish)
NintendoWorldReport - 9/10
Cubed3 - 9/10
Lazy Gamer - 9/10
NintendoLife - 9/10
Attack of the Fan Boy - 9/10
CzechGamer - 9/10
Gameblog.fr - 9/10 (French)
Gearburn - 9/10
Destructoid - 8.5/10
Meristation - 8.5/10 (Spanish)
Everyeye - 8.5/10 (Italian)
PCGames - 8.5/10 (German)
Multiplayer.it - 8.5/10 (Italian)
SpazioGames - 8.5/10 (Italian)
iDigitalTimes - 8/10
TheSixthAxis - 8/10
Nintendo Insider - 8/10
XGN - 8/10 (Dutch)
Godisageek - 8/10
Gamereactor.se - 8/10 (Swedish)
Spieletester - 8/10 (German)
The Games Machine - 8/10 (Italian)
Zwame - 8/10 (Portuguese)
IGN - 7.7/10
JeuxVideo - 7.5/10 (French)
BeyondPixels.at - 7.4/10 (German)
IGN Italia - 7.4/10 (Italian)
Paste Magazine - 7.2/10
App Trigger - 6.5/10
Expert Reviews - 6/10
Ars Technica - No score
AGM-Magazine.de - No score (German)
Gamespot - Review in progress
USGamer - Review in progress

dSIaDKw.png

YMVJB85.jpg
gPksRTU.jpg
QuccxC3.jpg

SAcE98L.jpg
hjebggr.jpg
izFOgnG.jpg

p4zSsiT.jpg
UxyjPCa.jpg
btI2Zqa.jpg

Kaname

Amazon shipped mine today, can't wait to ruin the start of this semester with some good old DQ :D
Speaking of which, are there some suggested guides to follow or is it better to do a blind run? (first time playing this chapter).

zroid

Banned
Going to start this as soon as I finish Tokyo Mirage which should be this weekend. Knowing the pace I play games at, it'll probably last me mid way through 2017.

chekhonte

I kind of want to give this game another go. I tried it out around the year 2000 and burned out on it pretty quickly but I was burning out on RPGs then and think I can attribute it to that.

Great OT, thank you Aeana!

Once again living right next to an Amazon warehouse is backfiring on me. They know they can ship it out at the last possible second and I'll get it on release day. Kudos to everyone who got it early, enjoy!

Taruranto

I'm disappointed, should have used a DQVIII pic for the OP!

Right now my 3DS is busy with another long ass jRPG, so I can't start it, dang.

Karu

So ready! Can't wait to jump into my first DQ. Tipped my toe into the first one on Android, but wouldn't call that a complete experience, heh.

AmyS

On Friday, I'll get VII as well as IX. I'm also going to get a copy of Dragon Warrior VII for PS1 on ebay.

The only Dragon Quest game I haven't played / beaten despite having Dragon Warrior VII on the psone.

Super excited for my copy to show up. I polished up my collection of Metallic Monsters Gallery slimes in anticipation.

Just gotta finish V on iOS and then I'm going to move onto this. I'm pretty excited, but honestly a little intimidated by the class changes.

Excited for this, it's my first real DQ game (other than DQ Heroes).

This morning, Amazon decided to change my delivery date to Tuesday, so now I'll get it at BB. Glad I have the GCU membership.

jdevil99

And so it begins, just having the OT up is giving me the feels. Praying this does well sales wise to help keep the localized DQ game train running full steam.

aravuus

Should be getting my copy tomorrow. Don't think I've ever been this excited to play a Dragon Quest game! Although it might have to wait, if I get that darn Cold Steel 2 soon.

I was so excited for this until I played Trails of Cold Steel 2, now I don't know if anything could even compare to that so my hype has largely died. I'll still try to get into it but don't think its something I'm going to be able to do very easily. CS2 is just that good.

I had 3 copies of this pre-ordered by Amazon

Today I found out i was a victim of identity theft. They've closed my debit card. Which means my preorder is going to bounce.

I have no way of buying a copy now... much less 3 copies

mjc

My other problem is finishing up TitS...and then I have to decide if I wanna jump into SC before DQVII. Goddamn.

Refyref

It's almost here! So close! I have it pre-loaded, it should unlock around the time I come back from work tomorrow. Maybe even before I head back home, and I'll be able to play it on the train.

Psxphile

My main focus right now will be on completing Trails of Cold Steel II and considering my glacial pacing when it comes to playing jRPGs these days it's going to be a while before I get around to Dragon Quest. Nevertheless, my copy is 'preparing to ship' as we speak.

Hopefully when I *do* crack it open I'll be able to finish it before Persona 5 rears its head.

MegalonJJ

Banned
Have this preordered but need to get a new 3DS xl console, the UK prices are still so steep though.

Edit: blue new 3ds xl arriving tomorrow :D

I was so excited for this until I played Trails of Cold Steel 2, now I don't know if anything could even compare to that so my hype has largely died. I'll still try to get into it but don't think its something I'm going to be able to do very easily. CS2 is just that good.

Is it? I'm just 5 hours or so into Cold Steel 1 and it's not really doing much for me. It kind of reminds me of Persona 4, only with much less interesting style and characters.

Does it suddenly get better a couple chapters in?

I haven't played DWVII since ~2000-01, but I feel pretty confident in saying that it has my favorite story/world progression system in any JRPG. Hard to muster the will to sit down for super long RPGs these days, but reeeeaaally considering grabbing this.

Aeana

Is it? I'm just 5 hours or so into Cold Steel 1 and it's not really doing much for me. It kind of reminds me of Persona 4, only with much less interesting style and characters.

Does it suddenly get better a couple chapters in?

Cold Steel 2 is dramatically better than the first game. But you need the first game's story to get anything out of 2.

jackal27

Banned
SO HYPED YOU GUYS.

Dragon Quest is my favorite series ever and I haven't gotten a new one for my handheld in 4 years!!

If you like RPGs, buy this game!

mrlion

So having all those improvements on the game, fragment detector, visible encounters and whatnot, is the game still more than 100 hours?

Oxx

Hopefully Streetpass isn't completely dead, but the lack of Fire Emblem hits doesn't really fill me with confidence.

DaddyDonuts

Neo Member
Just finished IV, played V and VIII last year. Aaand just found a used copy of VI at my local indie game store for $19. So pumped for this! I'm late to the party on Dragon Quest but already love it real hard.

Top Bottom