• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft needs more exclusives throughout the year

Basically my Facebook on this matter

"I hope they improve on first party stuff"

"It's fine, everything is fine"

"Well you can always get better can't you?"

"What?? Everything is fine, calm down"

https://twitter.com/jeffgrubb/status/897970592275550210

Microsoft Studios retail output by year 2006 - 2017:
06: 4
07: 13
08: 11
09: 7
10: 11
11: 8
12: 10
13: 7
14: 7
15: 7
16: 5
17: 3

Graphed:

TpCcjPx.png

Very illuminating... Clearly shows the pivot in focus that MS' Kinect and casual gamer obsession caused. Amusing enough is that for most of last gen, so many Xbox gamers refused to admit a decline in first party core game investment within MS. Now, MS has reached a point where even the most ardent MS/Xbox fan cannot deny a problem.

It really is bizarre. They definitely need to get on this ASAP before losing all relevance

I'll quote what I posted earlier in the thread:

This gen, the XB1's initial poor performance combined with the latter-gen PS3 success Sony enjoyed, means that less third parties would be willing to forgo the Playstation audience and sign exclusive games for the Xbox One; especially with significantly higher development and publishing budgets this gen.

All last gen, MS should have been fostering close exclusive development relationships with third party developers (small and large) as well as building up their internal studio roster. They actually did invest in the former with devs like Remedy and smaller devs like "The Maw" devs, but when Kinect hit it big they seemed to abandon that strategy and go all in chasing the casual gamer.

Now they're paying for it, since it's a much more expensive game to try building up third party exclusive dev relationships and first party dev studios this gen. The financial risks are much higher now with developing new IP, even with seasoned talented existing studios. Trying to do that with newly formed studios with little experience and without any tried and tested studio game engine codebase/tools, the risks might end up being much too great for MS to gamble on, especially considering their current market position. Even trying to leverage old back-catalog IP with a newly formed studio can be a huge gamble... one that has the potential to bring both financial failure as well as damage to the IP itself... just look at EA with ME:A.

So, if we're ok to have a debate with no insults or swearing and calling people names (not that you have) then fine let's have one

now that the Switch is out and a huge success and the PS4 momentum doesn't seem to be slowing down I don't see MS getting many more if any #1 hardwares in the NPD

Good points, but initially XBox sales were good and since you speak of the SWITCH what In-House exclusives that aren't Wii Ports. has the Switch got coming this year, other than Mario I can't think of anything from NCL. Looking 3rd at party support, it's dire too. but no issues from you or this board ?

MS didn't "allow" anything. EA bought the developer & the IP
It allowed the developer and the IP to go to EA. Bioware a corp that worked wonders on the XBox platform with Jade, Mass Effect, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.

Contrast that to SONY, in how were quick they to pick up Guerrilla studios and its another poor example of MS showing any sign of getting more IP and building its Studios portfolio , even in the 360 era.

. Imagine if MS had kept Bungie on board but allowed them to make Destiny as a pet project; they would have Halo as a massive FPS franchise and then Destiny as this huge new IP
:). Spot on it was a cock up and a move done in the 360 era, do you see what I'm getting at?.

it closed down various In-House studios like Indie, Essemble, and Fasta"
Makers of the Amped series (which MS also killed) . Its closed down a hell of lot more studios than it opened even in the 360 era.

Again, this was Capcom's decision, not MS's.

If MS was serious it was bid for total exclusivity, it did and allowed a game which displayed ONLY ON XBOX to go the PS3, it's then main rival. You hadly see SONY allow the same to happen now or with the PS3

and saw no need for the Phantom Dust In-House studio

Phantom Dust came out at the end of the XBox and rather than expand and build up this great studio for the 360, it closed it down. Again in the 360 era and not showing a BIG push or focus on In-House teams or getting IP ONLY FOR XBOX.

I think the main thing is that in the OG Xbox and pre-Kinect 360 they seemed hungry to win

I agree and that's my point, with Kinect and already massive 360 sales MS thought they have done it and done enough. They got arrogant and cocky and expected to win this gen in the USA. All the issues MS have now , were all there boiling up mid way through the 360 life. All the time while SONY was buying the likes of Media Molecule, Sucker Punch, and Guerrilla getting ever more IP and developers to call it own.

Hell SONY didn't even charge for online play, used dictated servers, while MS was charging for P2P and even closing down Online for the OG XBox (which really peed me off). And sorry Phil Spencer was made Head of XBox in 2014, not 2008. So just over 3 years, still l early and I think he main early main focus was to get the XBox the best platform to develop for and make the best looking games., which MS have done with the One X But he's now got the hard task of building up the IP and making developers, to want actually develop on the One X.

Basically my Facebook on this matter

"I hope they improve on first party stuff"

"It's fine, everything is fine"

"Well you can always get better can't you?"

"What?? Everything is fine, calm down"

I really don't get that mindset honestly. Xbox is what I consider my "primary" platform, so I always have plenty to play on it thanks to third parties. That being said, I'd be crazy if I said I didn't want them to have a ton of worthwhile first-party games as well.

I think the biggest thing for some people is the talking point of saying "Xbox has no games". People who really like Xbox seem to think that's some kind of personal attack instead of just the hyperbolic norm when it comes to these discussions. Of course that doesn't mean that there's literally nothing to play, but some people (on both sides) treat it that way.

I really don't get that mindset honestly. Xbox is what I consider my "primary" platform, so I always have plenty to play on it thanks to third parties. That being said, I'd be crazy if I said I didn't want them to have a ton of worthwhile first-party games as well.

I think the biggest thing for some people is the talking point of saying "Xbox has no games". People who really like Xbox seem to think that's some kind of personal attack instead of just the hyperbolic norm when it comes to these discussions. Of course that doesn't mean that there's literally nothing to play, but some people (on both sides) treat it that way.

Yeah I agree. What irks me a little is I know friends who have been fans for years getting shit for wanting to see them do better. I wouldn't blame them for not bothering in future. I'm fine with differences of opinion but I do find it odd that suggestions such as "maybe some more variety and of a higher quality from first party" is snarled at when such a thing would benefit them as a gamer.

So, if we're ok to have a debate with no insults or swearing and calling people names (not that you have) then fine let's have one

I'm not sure what names have been called. You've spread a lot of misinformation in this topic, and the comment you replied to in post 1690 was calling your comments bullshit, which was not untrue and not a personal attack.

Good points, but initially XBox sales were good and since you speak of the SWITCH what In-House exclusives that aren't Wii Ports. has the Switch got coming this year, other than Mario I can't think of anything from NCL. Looking 3rd at party support, it's dire too. but no issues from you or this board ?

Breath of the Wild
Splatoon 2
Mario Galaxy
ARMS
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Mario x Rabbids

Probably others I've forgotten that aren't old ports. At least two major GotY contenders there, assuming Mario will be up to its usual standard.

And as for the Switch's third-party support, we all know it's not as important to Nintendo as it is to Xbox and PlayStation. They've paved their own way these past five generations, and unarguably for the last three gens (Wii, Wii U, Switch), so they're judged to a different standard. If Nintendo's first-party software was anaemic as MS's is right now, then they would have big problems.

Makers of the Amped series (which MS also killed) . Its closed down a hell of lot more studios than it opened even in the 360 era.

MS sold the Amped and Top Spin IPs to Take Two when they closed their XSN sports division in the OG Xbox days, including the developer Indie Built. Offloading the studios & IP probably wasn't a good idea, but the closure can hardly be blamed on MS.

If MS was serious it was bid for total exclusivity, it did and allowed a game which displayed ONLY ON XBOX to go the PS3, it's then main rival. You hadly see SONY allow the same to happen now or with the PS3

Sure, but paying a publisher big bucks for exclusivity on a whole series doesn't seem like a good use of budget as opposed to building in-house IPs, and as I said in my previous post, their (highly effective) strategy last gen was getting the first instalment in a series as exclusive and then being the lead platform for sequels.

I agree and that's my point, with Kinect and already massive 360 sales MS thought they have done it and done enough. They got arrogant and cocky and expected to win this gen in the USA. All the issues MS have now , were all there boiling up mid way through the 360 life. All the time while SONY was buying the likes of Media Molecule, Sucker Punch, and Guerrilla getting ever more IP and developers to call it own.

I've just given you a bunch of examples of new studios that were opened last gen. Do you not see the difference in, for example, last gen closing down 5 studios and opening/buying 5 new ones, vs. this gen closing down 4 studios and opening/buying zero new ones? You seem so desperate to level these false equivalencies of Xbox now vs. Xbox last gen, but even so that doesn't make their current situation any better.

And sorry Phil Spencer was made Head of XBox in 2014, not 2008. So just over 3 years,

As I said, Phil Spencer was in charge of first-party development studios from 2008 - 2014, after which he was promoted to head of Xbox.

still l early and I think he main early main focus was to get the XBox the best platform to develop for and make the best looking games., which MS have done with the One X But he's now got the hard task of building up the IP and making developers, to want actually develop on the One X.

Developers will want to develop for the Xbox One if MS is paying them. It's how work-for-hire devs get by.

Rellik

That is what I consider to be one of their biggest missteps. Their biggest competitor was at their most vulnerable and they didn't take advantage of it to prepare for the future.

To be fair, what could they do? They'd have to eliminate Europe off the map to even begin to touch Sony.

People around me don't even call them consoles. They call them PlayStations. And I'm in Microsoft's best EU region.

To be fair, what could they do? They'd have to eliminate Europe off the map to even begin to touch Sony.

People around me don't even call them consoles. They call them PlayStations. And I'm in Microsoft's best EU region.
I was speaking more in terms of building partnerships and laying the groundwork for long term software. Maybe a key studio acquisition. Things of that nature.

They still probably wouldn't be on par with Sony but it may have been a better scenario than where they are now.

Edit - Consider what MS did with Japanese devs/pubs last gen. They were able to convince them to come to Xbox because of the position Sony was in. It didn't work out in the long run but MS put in effort to capitalize on Sony's mistakes. They should have done that on a larger scale back then to reap the fruit now.

Their biggest competitor was at their most vulnerable and they didn't take advantage of it to prepare for the future.

Failure to prepare for the future is a cultural thing with Microsoft. See their mobile efforts, see them allowing Google to encroach and take over education in the US with ChromeOS and cloud-based productivity tools.

Fukuzatsu

Of course it would be crazy to say it has no games, because it has games. It has Halo, Forza, Gears, ReCore, Killer Instinct, Sunset Overdrive (in addition to third parties).

The thing about "oh it's fine, I've got tons of 3rd-parties to play" is, if you weren't concerned about first-party output at all why did you buy the system that was more expensive and ran 3rd-party games worse out of the gate (at least until the announcement and/or release of XOX)? Did you like the controller just that much? Are all your friends on Xbox? Are you very invested in BC? There's plausible reasons, but they're all quite removed from the system's specifications and what games are available on it.

I think the road back to something that resembles a solid line up begins with one thing for MS.

A big, single player focus Fable that sets out to be on the level with the Witcher 3. That is worth the investment, returns a once popular IP back to glory, and builds good will with xbox fans both current and estranged from the 360 era.

That right there is the ticket.

If it takes years, announce it, stick with it, oversee it like a mother hawk, and provide constant dev diaries, concept art, and a slow build up of excitement.

I think the road back to something that resembles a solid line up begins with one thing for MS.

A big, single player focus Fable that sets out to be on the level with the Witcher 3. That is worth the investment, returns a once popular IP back to glory, and builds good will with xbox fans both current and estranged from the 360 era.

That right there is the ticket.

If it takes years, announce it, stick with it, oversee it like a mother hawk, and provide constant dev diaries, concept art, and a slow build up of excitement.

I personally think a new IP would be best. Think how exciting and revitalising for a console's line-up something like Splatoon or Horizon has been. MS needs a big hit like this.

Failing that though, bringing back a dormant IP like Fable or Perfect Dark would be the next best thing. Either way, they need some big new releases that they can build into franchises, and I personally think the opposite in that they should announce whatever they've got with as little time between release as they can. Like, announcing a game at E3 for an October release would be amazing, and they could have a concerted 3-4 month marketing cycle.

I personally think a new IP would be best. Think how exciting and revitalising for a console's line-up something like Splatoon or Horizon has been. MS needs a big hit like this.

Failing that though, bringing back a dormant IP like Fable or Perfect Dark would be the next best thing. Either way, they need some big new releases that they can build into franchises, and I personally think the opposite in that they should announce whatever they've got with as little time between release as they can. Like, announcing a game at E3 for an October release would be amazing, and they could have a concerted 3-4 month marketing cycle.

I could go with that too. I think they can focus on GaaS for as many titles as they want but, for the sake of confidence and goodwill, they need to make a portfolio single player big game. While it may not make as much in the long run compared to a MP bonanza, it would instill a lot of faith in certain circles of gamers to the ecosystem.

Rymuth

There are plenty of ways and some straight out of Sony's book, without resorting to launch exclusivity, in case your first party is floundering

- Offer to take the localization costs off the developer (like Sony did with Yakuza 5 etc)
- Offer to publish the game and take on the marketing costs (like Sony with Ni-oh etc)

Not only does it make the Developers happy to have higher profit margins, it fosters a good relationship and ensures more collaborations down the line. As of yet, most MS collabs have ended up soured. An Insomniac Rep on GAF said they wanted SO on PC (heck, put it on W10 store) but MS just doesn't want that to happen.

Boy do I disagree about that. I'm never really sure what people mean, but I find the Playstation ecosystem so much simpler / easier to use. It's essentially a complete reversal from last gen, to me.

For someone like me, I invested a lot in 360 and to see all my stuff carry over to One, that's a lot of money I'm leaving behind if I go with another console.

Vinc

For someone like me, I invested a lot in 360 and to see all my stuff carry over to One, that's a lot of money I'm leaving behind if I go with another console.

I definitely get that, but I mean I've done that with every generation up to now, I just keep old consoles. BC is great though, and I'm sure we'll see it as standard going forward. But I was specifically disagreeing about the ecosystem.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The further you get into Spencer era as the head of Xbox the number of games keep dropping.

He's focusing on games though.

I'm sure he is heavily focused on starting to invest in amazing launch titles for XB2 which is why we are seeing a drop in XB1 titles

..phew, kept a straight face through that

Chitown B

Also, to your point about 360-era Xbox exclusives, at the start of last gen. MS enjoyed a metric crap ton of essentially "de facto" exclusives, due the difficulty of programming for the Cell causing a lot of devs and publishers to simply forgo PS3 development.

or if they did to PS3 ports, they were almost always worse.

Which is why it's odd now because X1 is basically Windows 10. Should be even easier.

I definitely get that, but I mean I've done that with every generation up to now, I just keep old consoles. BC is great though, and I'm sure we'll see it as standard going forward. But I was specifically disagreeing about the ecosystem.

It also includes Windows 10's ecosystem. It's all under the same umbrella.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
I'm sure he is heavily focused on starting to invest in amazing launch titles for XB2 which is why we are seeing a drop in XB1 titles

..phew, kept a straight face through that

I actually think this is probably true. Which does next to fuck all for us this generation.

Boy do I disagree about that. I'm never really sure what people mean, but I find the Playstation ecosystem so much simpler / easier to use. It's essentially a complete reversal from last gen, to me.

Do you think "ecosystem" means "user interface"?

Crayon

Phil Spencer is a true politician. I can't believe people still blindly follow this man

For some of their hardcore fans the particular know ind pr and outreach they do is a big draw to the brand. They're always winning according to Phil, greenburg, Nelson, etc.

Phil is better than Don, but I always saw him as the substitute teacher taking over for the teacher that got fired. He's awesome for a week and then you realize why he's a substitute.

Phil Spencer is a true politician. I can't believe people still blindly follow this man

What exactly is he supposed to do? Release it in its current condition and he'll get ripped or delay it to make it better, and he gets ripped.

Considering they have practically nothing this holiday and still didnt "force it out" just to have something big with the new console i think says a lot about what to expect from now on. Hes ready and willing to delay important games from its holiday season to "get it right". Yes, lets rip him for that..... some people man.

watdaeff4

Meh, IMO both have their merits and drawbacks. Neither is that much better than the other.

Vinc

I actually think this is probably true. Which does next to fuck all for us this generation.

Do you think "ecosystem" means "user interface"?

No, but it's part of it. I find PS+ to be a better service, I like the PS4's user interface far more, I like the way the store and its web implementation work far more on PS4.

How would you precisely define the "Xbox ecosystem"?

No, but it's part of it. I find PS+ to be a better service, I like the PS4's user interface far more, I like the way the store and its web implementation work far more on PS4.

Everything is linked to the UI. Everything. If the UI sucks, the whole system usability and services will suck.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.

The UI is the front end to the ecosystem, not part of the ecosystem itself. It's the enabler.

The ecosystem in my view is the online infrastructure, the availability and accessibility of my games, the options with which to buy or rent, the support for those games etc.

I'm not sure what names have been called. You've spread a lot of misinformation in this topic, and the comment you replied to in post 1690 was calling your comments bullshit, which was not untrue and not a personal attack.

Breath of the Wild
Splatoon 2
Mario Galaxy
ARMS
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Mario x Rabbids

Did you even take the time to read, what I said? I said that weren't Wii U ports (of which Splatoon, Zelda, Xenoblades are) and up coming (not already out) and also In-House!.
So again other than Mario, nothing. Just like MS with Forza 7. One In-House game, upcoming this year from either MS or NCL, MS might even have 2 if Sea Of thieves can hit its date.

And if you're going to list the likes of 3rd party then MS does also have Cuphead or the likes of Ori and the blind forest II coming out . But hey lets just have a go at MS, while NCL get away with it, despite not better In-House support for the coming year and lame 3rd party support.

watdaeff4

Did you even take the time to read, what I said? I said that weren't Wii U ports (of which Splatoon, Zelda, Xenoblades are) and coming (not already out) and In-House from NCL (Nintendo)
So again other than Mario, nothing. Just like MS with Forza 7. One In-House game, upcoming this year from either MS or NCL, MS might even have 2 if Sea Of thieves can hit its date.

Ok.

Splatoon and Xenoblades aren't WiiU ports. They are sequels. ARMS is a new IP. You are awful at this argument

Of course it would be crazy to say it has no games, because it has games. It has Halo, Forza, Gears, ReCore, Killer Instinct, Sunset Overdrive (in addition to third parties).

The thing about "oh it's fine, I've got tons of 3rd-parties to play" is, if you weren't concerned about first-party output at all why did you buy the system that was more expensive and ran 3rd-party games worse out of the gate (at least until the announcement and/or release of XOX)? Did you like the controller just that much? Are all your friends on Xbox? Are you very invested in BC? There's plausible reasons, but they're all quite removed from the system's specifications and what games are available on it.

I mean, I literally bought an Xbox expecting Gears/Halo/Forza in terms of first party output and not much else. The other reasons you mentioned are why I personally prefer Xbox as well. My PS4 is exclusively used for the titles that I can only get on that platform.

Did you even take the time to read, what I said? I said that weren't Wii U ports (of which Splatoon, Zelda, Xenoblades are) and up coming (not already out) and also In-House!.

And if you're going to list the likes of 3rd party then MS does also have Cuphead or the likes of Ori and the blind forest II coming out . But hey lets just have a go at MS, while NCL get away with it, despite not better In-House support for the coming year and lame 3rd party support.

I'm sure you're trolling at this point. Splatoon 2 and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 are not ports. Zelda is a grey area, but it was simultaneously with the Wii U SKU and the Switch version was likely factored into development some time ago.

Keep moving goalposts though.

Ok.

Splatoon and Xenoblades aren't WiiU ports. They are sequels. ARMS is a new IP. You are awful at this argument

I own a Switch to make out that Splatoon is nothing more than a Port with a few extra's is laughable. Zelda Port, Mario Kart port and wow get one new IP, even MS can give us one new IP with Sea of Thieves. Other than Mario no new In-House game from NCL this year.

So again other than Mario, nothing. Just like MS with Forza 7. One In-House game, upcoming this year from either
MS or NCL, MS might even have 2 if Sea Of thieves can hit its date.

Honest question...are you trying to wind up people deliberately or are you really that misinformed?

I'm sure you're trolling at this point. Splatoon 2 and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 are not ports. Zelda is a grey area, but it was simultaneously with the Wii U SKU and the Switch version was likely factored into development some time ago.

Trolling is when you don't own the hardware or games in question, I do. Now let's be clear Splatoon is nothing more than a port with a few extra's through in, no different for the endless remasters the XBox One or PS4 gets, it's hardly a true sequel and more like a Special Edtion

Zelda is a port and so is Mario 8 and there's nothing coming from NCL other than Mario this year. Even hopeless MS is on course to ship 2 In-House games this year, or at the very least one. Then factor in 3rd party support: Destiny II, Wolfenstein 2 Assassins Creed Origins Ect (none of which the Switch is getting) So I say the Switch is far worse

Top Bottom