• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Sonic Mania PS4/XO/Switch Full Analysis

-shadow-

Only thing I've noticed on the Switch that's a bit odd is that the Home menu takes multiple seconds to pop up. It's a real weird little problem since the game jumps back and forth between the moment the game actually pauses and where you are a few seconds later. Other than that Switch port seems solid...

Neoxon

Hopefully the framerate issues for the Switch version's special stages are rectified in a later update (along with the delayed Home/Capture inputs).

Haven't watched the video yet but by default there's a blurry filter applied on the game.

Yeah, it's not nearest neighbour so it just sucks. The video seems to cover that it seems.

Also, seems like John agrees with me: 4k mode was important for Pro, to avoid shitty upscale. Pixel perfect. <3

weekev

Banned
Nice work John, not sure the digs aimed at Nintendo towards the end were necessary but good bit of analysis not including that.

Hopefully the framerate issues for the Switch version's special stages are rectified in a later update (along with the delayed Home/Capture inputs).

I didn't even notice those dips in the bonus stages when playing. They're pretty minor but yeah, I hope a patch can make the framerate perfect.

Nice work John, not sure the digs aimed at Nintendo towards the end were necessary but good bit of analysis not including that.

The digs were mostly justified.

RK128

Great work! Pleased to hear the game runs well across all platforms. Had a very good experience so far with the PS4 (Base) version :).

Your digs at Nintendo are somewhat justified regarding the music for New Yoshi's Island and NSMB...don't like those soundtracks very much personally. AM2R I'm in full agreement, but it's somewhat understandable due to Samus Returns being a thing on 3DS next month.

VeeP

All versions are mostly equal.

PS4 Pro has 4K support.

Switch has some slowdown in the 3D levels, hopefully it's patched.

Overall beautiful game, and great job DF, like always.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I know, I know...the inner Sega fan couldn't resist re-igniting the Nintendo vs Sega war (even though I love them both).

Hey, at least Mario Odyssey has an incredible soundtrack as well.

Wasn't expecting PS4 Pro support.

Now I'm debating that over Switch. How big of a visual difference does it actually make on a 4k TV, given its emulating the look of a Genesis game?

RK128

Did this come out for Vita as well?

Technically, it IS out on Vita, as you can play it through Vita via PS4 remote play...like what I'm doing. If it means anything, it controls wonderfully on Vita in remote play (direct connection) and image quality shines on Vita.

Edit: I only meant that you can play it on Vita via remote play. There is no currently released Vita version.

I know, I know...the inner Sega fan couldn't resist re-igniting the Nintendo vs Sega war (even though I love them both).

Hey, at least Mario Odyssey has an incredible soundtrack as well.

I don't appreciate the shade you threw at the Crash music. &#128545;&#128545;&#128545;

dark10x

What's that ugly scaling ? Why everything looks so smothed on the DF video ?
YouTube destroyed the video. Here's a shot taken from the original source file (before uploading).

0U1c.jpg

Damn, so it looks like my current XBO issues are isolated to me.
How peculiar.
What issue are you seeing? Haven't run into any problems on Xbox.

I don't appreciate the shade you threw at the Crash music. &#55357;&#56865;&#55357;&#56865;&#55357;&#56865;
Ha ha, sorry, I'm not a big Crash music fan (love the games, though) but, after spending more time with it, I think the Remaster versions are worse.

Gotta go to work right now, but is there really a difference between PS4 Pro and Switch versions? I can't imagine 4K would really add much to a 16 bit game but ya never know

I might have made a huge mistake going with Switch

Gotta go to work right now, but is there really a difference between PS4 Pro and Switch versions? I can't imagine 4K would really add much to a 16 bit game but ya never know

The only real difference is that the Pro version supports 4K. There are some problems with the Switch version, namely some dips in the special stages and an oddly long home load time that were confirmed to be bugs by Whitehead that didn't appear in QA before release.

dark10x

It does make a different *IF* you have a 4K TV as it means perfectly sharp pixels that line up with your TV's pixel grid.

It's not explicitly stated in the video, but I assume switch docked is 1080p and undocked 720p?
That's right.

John, are you absolutely positive that the 16-bit trilogy did not feature true, overlapping parallax layers? Because in S3K that sure looks like what it is doing to me in several zones. Take a look at the foliage behind the background tree layer in Mushroom Hill for instance.

Granted, it might just be some really clever trick and not "true" parallax, but the end result is for all intents and purposes the same.
It's a very clever trick. That's all.

Each plane has a high and low value that can be used to achieve some interesting results as you see there. So, yeah, you could get something similar at points.

What you can't do is have multiple flat planes with completely unique bitmaps scrolling in front of one another as we see in Mania. That's the big difference. Mania features a lot of large, detailed planes intersecting with one another in ways that wouldn't work on the MD.

Geg

The only differences seem to be 4K on the Pro and also the Switch version seems to fluctuate between 50 and 60 fps during certain bonus stages

Guess Who

Banned
"This is a game that embodies pure joy to the highest degree" - slap that quote on a physical release box imo

John, are you absolutely positive that the 16-bit trilogy did not feature true, overlapping parallax layers? Because in S3K that sure looks like what it is doing to me in several zones. Take a look at the foliage behind the background tree layer in Mushroom Hill for instance.

Granted, it might just be some really clever trick and not "true" parallax, but the end result is for all intents and purposes the same.

John is correct, but some of the post-Sonic 1 games employ animated tiles in the background that animate based on screen position (basically, it mathematically shifts pixels in the tiles left/right and redraws them constantly) to create the illusion of real parallax.

VanWinkle

Gives me some added respect for it. It seems to make a lot of subtle but important improvements to the visuals compared to early Sonic games.

DF is pretty reliable, and while I was excited for the game before, I'm now simply more confident in that excitement.

Opted for the Switch version so the whole family can play it. Probably going to grab it on another platform too, just a question of the S or the 4. Either way, I don't have a 4k TV, so it won't *really* make a difference.

Thanks for putting this together. Going to point some friends to it too.

Top Bottom