• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crackdown 3 delayed to Spring 2018

sam12

But Phil Spencer is still excited for X y'all

" I looked at the current list of games doing work for X, exceeded what I thought we'd see. Partners are really supporting."

-Phil Spencer

Rodelero

Going to go against the grain here...ms canceling a major first party title and delaying another huge first party title shows they have some quality control and care about the end product.

Without mentioning names there are a few major first party titles from another console that could of done with a bullet or more time in the oven.

Are you trying to suggest that Microsoft have released games in a more finished state this generation than Sony? That is simply untrue. Hell, in the last twelve months alone Microsoft have shipped at least two hilariously broken exclusives (Recore and Halo Wars 2).

I hope that Crackdown has been delayed to ensure the quality of the end product, but there is literally no reason to believe that is why it has been delayed. Going by the examples of Recore and Halo Wars 2, it's much easier to surmise that Crackdown 3 isn't coming out in November because it is almost unplayable. It's possible Microsoft has had a change of heart, but when their most recent exclusives imply the opposite of what you're saying, you're simply partaking in wishful thinking.

I'm actually happy Crackdown isn't releasing in November only to get swamped by the rush of mega franchises, but nothing about this news is encouraging.

I don't think we can tout stuff like PUBG until the day it is out given what this topic is about

Also lmfao @ MS quality control, MCC is the most broken game of this generation and still isn't fixed. It was the most broken game I have ever played in my life at launch.

It honestly didn't look like a game that would showcase the X1X so I don't see the big deal. Not having exclusives sucks, but I've got so many games in my backlog that are getting the 4k patch it should be enough by early 2018. Til then, Sony is punching out more than enough exclusives for my liking.

Wait why the hate on Recore? It was a decent mid tier game.

I guess it looks worse in the spotlight with the lack of games, but it was fun.

X1 in general has felt weird in the game quality department. Even some of the highlights like Sunset OD and in a smaller way Quantum Break felt off.

X1 in general has felt weird in the game quality department. Even some of the highlights like Sunset OD and in a smaller way Quantum Break felt off.
Recore is a great game many just haven't played it. I hope the rerelease fix some problems

Are you trying to suggest that Microsoft have released games in a more finished state this generation than Sony? That is simply untrue. Hell, in the last twelve months alone Microsoft have shipped at least two hilariously broken exclusives (Recore and Halo Wars 2).

I hope that Crackdown has been delayed to ensure the quality of the end product, but there is literally no reason to believe that is why it has been delayed. Going by the examples of Recore and Halo Wars 2, it's much easier to surmise that Crackdown 3 isn't coming out in November because it is almost unplayable. It's possible Microsoft has had a change of heart, but when their most recent exclusives imply the opposite of what you're saying, you're simply partaking in wishful thinking.

I'm actually happy Crackdown isn't releasing in November only to get swamped by the rush of mega franchises, but nothing about this news is encouraging.

How was Halo Wars 2 "hilariously broken"?

The money they have given crackdown is probably extremely high now. Compared that to having just let scalebound and fable be finished and released and have had more exclusives to their name, seems like a bad move.

Agreed. Could have funded a lot in lieu of throwing cash at multiple studios just to get CD3 out the door.

I know people have made PS3 comparisons before, but four years into the life of the PS3 we were starting to get some really good stuff. As of right now, that isn't on the horizon for the Xbox One. Maybe next year looks better on paper, but 2017 looked solid this time last year too.

I think where Microsoft is having trouble is with trying to turn their gaming into a service. Gaming in general is heading in that direction, but while Sony still invests in good single player experiences (also Nintendo's bread and butter), Microsoft has abandoned that model for AAA entirely and in lieu of those titles they've failed to produce compelling titles of other varieties. The Xbox could have really used Destiny and should have listened if/when Bungie pitched it, for example.

They should put together a behind the scenes / dev diary look at the multiplayer. Give fans at least something to go at, and show that it is still alive and well.

It's amazing how hopeless MS have been this gen with exclusives. I guess they blew their budget on Kinect 2 and the TV division. Note to Microsoft - if you ever reach the heights of the 360 again, don't get cocky and try to re-introduce Kinect 3. It wont work, again.

Listonosh

Yeah but for me, it will be my primary console from here on out for 3rd parties so its still worth it. Destiny2, battlefront2 and assassins creed im all buying on Xbox X and im sure a lot of other people will do the same.

Why do you think this? Because of a more powerful console? Unless they already have an Xbox One and want a more powerful Xbox One, I don't see a whole lot of PS4/Pro owners buying an entirely new and expensive system, for third party games that, as of now at least according to Digital Foundry, don't even run at full 4k on that system.

Can't say I was impressed by what I've seen of Crackdown at E3, but I kept telling myself that maybe once I play it, it'll all come together. One of those "plays much better than it demos" situations. Bummed that it won't be making the launch of the XBO X

Why do you think this? Because of a more powerful console? Unless they already have an Xbox One and want a more powerful Xbox One, I don't see a whole lot of PS4/Pro owners buying an entirely new and expensive system, for third party games that, as of now at least according to Digital Foundry, don't even run at full 4k on that system.

I think he is talking about the gamers who will make the switch from One S to One X and have a PS4/Pro. I will be in that boat and agree that my mulitplats will go to the X for the remainder of the gen just like they went to PS4 the past 4 years.

Here's the context of that article: https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/844691056830509056

7EoHC6jJQKiNGpsgi8qsuQ.png

It seems clearly that "launch games" here means new titles.
On the contrary, to me that reads like Phil PR deflection where he's really talking about having "patches" for their released games.

Sjefen

3 big titles delayed to 2018, this doesnt look to good for MS. Sales are already taking a hit in the US, their strongest market. Cant imagine how the sales in the rest of the world is...

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Good, let it cook for another year or two. This game has been a development mess so far it seems with four cooks in the kitchen. It clearly did not look ready after that abysmal E3 showing.

KingV

Agreed. I can't even exactly explain it, other than they all had a sort amateurish quality to them that's hard to pinpoint.

Raide

...Or it could just cause them to give up entirely. "Pressure" doesn't seem to phase these guys all that much.

Yeah, that could be the case. With a new system coming out very soon, I don't see them dropping that quickly but who knows!

watdaeff4

I'm sorry, but ReCore wasn't "hilariously broken." Not by any means. Yes the game had some bugs, but it wasn't awful and I played it day 1. There was only one area that I had to restart the game. I can't speak for Halo Wars 2.

I still think that this delay is due to them trying to find more ways to add GaaS aspects/MT's.

Vinc

Serious question: What can MS accomplish with Crackdown 3 in 6 months to make it better?

Fix a tonnn of issues. It's highly unlikely they'll make actual big design changes, of course, but it's a huge amount of time for spit n' polish.

It was literally an incomplete game. That they then harmed by trying to spread out the content that existed to disguise its incompleteness.

00ich

On the contrary, to me that reads like Phil PR deflection where he's really talking about having "patches" for their released games.

Compared to good patches for this winter's third-party games that won't change much regarding the demand. Hard to imagine there will be much buzz about old games in the holiday season. Old patches are similar to backward compatibility for a regular console launch.

Assassins Creed, Star Wars Battlefront and Call of Duty will drive the console.

I'll list the exclusive first party games coming for my new Xbox One X this winter:

Who needs those if they have the best version of all AAA holiday titles?

Crackdown would't have moved consoles.

jelly

Serious question: What can MS accomplish with Crackdown 3 in 6 months to make it better?

Well, we saw only a few things in their demos. Where was the transforming cars, the agency tower as an example. Maybe they could get the game to 60fps although perhaps unlikely for open world but it would be a feather in their cap if they managed it. The draw in was pretty horrific so that's one aspect I hope to see improved and more sandbox options.

Yeah but for me, it will be my primary console from here on out for 3rd parties so its still worth it. Destiny2, battlefront2 and assassins creed im all buying on Xbox X and im sure a lot of other people will do the same.

A lot of other people already have a primary console which can play all the games you listed, as well as God of War, Uncharted and many more. It's called the PS4 (Pro).

KORNdoggy

Assassins Creed, Star Wars Battlefront and Call of Duty will drive the console.

2 of which partnered with sony, as is fifa and destiny. those games won't be driving any sales but sony's. especially if they bundle them up. MS want people to buy their new tech and the only thing they have to persuade them is forza.

00ich

2 of which partnered with sony, as is fifa and destiny. those games won't be driving any sales but sony's. especially if they bundle them up. MS want people to buy their new tech and the only thing they have to persuade them is forza.

Yikes, that's a pretty bad.

A lot of other people already have a primary console which can play all the games you listed, as well as God of War, Uncharted and many more. It's called the PS4 (Pro).

It's naïve to think people won't buy the newest and most powerful console to play AAA titles. I'm sure PS4 moved plenty of consoles for this reason.

Exclusive do help if you are a one console gamer, though.

Cartho

They can not release it next to Call of Duty, Battlefront 2, Mario Odyssey, Assassins Creed, Destiny 2 etc. There are some huge hitters coming out this autumn, huge multiplayer games with a long shelf life. We all saw how Titanfall 2 got utterly crucified in terms of sales when it launched and that had a genuinely superb single player mode. Crackdown 3 could get utterly swamped and be forgotten before Christmas. MS won't want that. Better to give it another few months of polish and release it in a quieter window.

Pif

Banned
I think this was a smart move. Fall is packed with the 3rd party stuff.

Delaying it to 2018 will make for a good timming against Sony's early year line up.

MilkyJoe

It's naïve to think people won't buy the newest and most powerful console to play AAA titles. I'm sure PS4 moved plenty of consoles for this reason.

Exclusive do help if you are a one console gamer, though.

It did. People I know that switched did so for that reason. Sure wasn't the launch games. I only didn't because of the controller.

The best place to play the biggest games.

For enthusiasts, this might be a big deal, not Joe Bloggs who is holding off for a cheap Black Friday deal but thats not who the X is for. You know that, right?

Top Bottom