• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA's VP Söderlund on the Switch: "...didn’t get the concept, I was puzzled by it..."

Pokemaniac

What I find interesting is that the Switch's success in retrospect both validates exactly what Nintendo was trying to do with Wii U and underlines what a massive misfire in execution that entire product was.

Off screen play was by far the least interesting use of the gamepad, though. It's why I'm still disappointed the Switch is a hybrid with a single screen. The increased awkwardness with the map and super jumping in Splatoon 2 is a perfect example of how games will have to make sacrifices to go back to only having one screen.

What's not to get? It's a handheld that you can dock.
That's selling it short or to be more precise... that's selling the Joycon short.

Thanks to them the functionality of the device extends beyond the "handheld with TV out" that detractors love to pigeon hole the device in. No wonder the EA executive didn't get it at first, since he comes from a company dead set in a model and like minded gamers don't "get it" also after the device has been out for months.

There are a tiny handful of games that actually benefited from a second screen in a meaningful way. Splatoon was one of them, hence one of the few that also didn't allow for offscreen play. I think if you asked people what their favorite feature of the Wii U was it would be off screen play, not second screen play. Overwhelmingly.
Nintendo and Ubisoft games that were designed with second screen in mind did add something tangible to the experience.

im sure if Nintendo made the Gamepad a slick device like the Switch the Wii U would have faired significantly better, no Wii levels, but certainly beyond GameCube.

Nintendo greed bite them in the ass again with that one.

Off screen play was by far the least interesting use of the gamepad, though. It's why I'm still disappointed the Switch is a hybrid with a single screen. The increased awkwardness with the map and super jumping in Splatoon 2 is a perfect example of how games will have to make sacrifices to go back to only having one screen.

There are a tiny handful of games that actually benefited from a second screen in a meaningful way. Splatoon was one of them, hence one of the few that also didn't allow for offscreen play. I think if you asked people what their favorite feature of the Wii U was it would be off screen play, not second screen play. Overwhelmingly.

Mael

I'm not looking forward to Etryan Odyssey...

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The Switch is the evolution of the Wii U. You still have the "gamepad", only now the guts of the console are inside of it. The tether has been cut and you have the freedom Wii U lacked.

Pokemaniac

There are a tiny handful of games that actually benefited from a second screen in a meaningful way. Splatoon was one of them, hence one of the few that also didn't allow for offscreen play.

Handheld series are going to be hit much harder by this. I mean, stuff like Pokémon or Mystery Dungeon or Etrian Odyssey got tons of benefit from having two screens.

Also you're ignoring more minor examples like pretty much everything that put the map and inventory on the GamePad. BoTW's UI even looks like it was probably designed for that originally.

trixx

too bad too little games utilised the second screen functionality well. Mario Maker, Splatoon, Pikmin 3 and Nintendo Land are probably the headliners. If there we're more games that used the second screen as well as those titles I'd agree. I do think that Splatoon 1 map implementation is better than 2. Mario Maker they can work around.

And going with the handheld you can dock idea seems pretty puzzling after the immense success of the Vita and the Wii U.

The context is important. I find it humorous how many people are like "Duh" now, when back then it was questioned given the performance of handhelds and the Wii U.

Is a handheld guys.

A portable console is a handheld.

It is amazing that this needs to be pointed out to people still.

Plum

Videogame VP does not understand appeal of console, 4 year old son does.

Hm.

It's the classic case where a concept a literal 4 year old can understand is over-complicated by adults to the point where it's non-understandable. You see it here quite a lot:

"But what about the Vita and Wii U?"
"It's a portable you can dock!"
"No, it's a console you can take anywhere!"
"It's too big to be a handheld!"
"Its too weak to be a console!"

Pokemaniac

too bad too little games utilised the second screen functionality well. Mario Maker, Splatoon, Pikmin 3 and Nintendo Land are probably the headliners. If there we're more games that used the second screen as well as those titles I'd agree. I do think that Splatoon 1 map implementation is better than 2. Mario Maker they can work around.

DS and 3DS games alone more than justified the dual screen format.

Wii U just tried to bring that concept the console space, but was rejected by people who didn't understand just how much benefit dual screens had.

Effect

this thread is going to be filled with people being like "what's not to get" as if we didn't have months of posts of people ask "but what *is* the switch" after it was revealed

Those people should be mocked too. It's a very simple concept and if people still didn't get, people that claim to be gamers and follow the industry, that's on them and they're the ones with the problem.

Is a handheld guys.

A portable console is a handheld.

It is amazing that this needs to be pointed out to people still.
It's amazing that people still don't understand the concept when this was thoroughly explained when the Switch was just an Eurogamer rumor.

A person can buy a Switch and never used it as a handheld device, this is the difference the Joycon make. Switch is a product like 2 in 1s, Transformables, etc. Why people fail top accept this is beyond reason.

It can go farther than that. Say, even if a users opts to play it as a portable console it doesn't need to be used as a handheld.

trixx

DS and 3DS games alone more than justified the dual screen format.

but ds and 3ds concepts don't translate as well with the wii u. You can switch easily from top and bottom screens. Wii U you have to look down at the gamepad most times then look up at your t.v. Compare Kirby Canvas Curse to Kirby and the Rainbow Curse. The original is brilliant, the sequel while good just didn't translate as well

One of the best uses of second screen games on the wii u is Luigi's Ghost Mansion because it gives a completely new perspective than the players on the t.v. Some games it works, for other not so much.

kiuo

It's the evolution of the arm how we play games.

I don't have the Switch, but I LOVE the idea. A handheld you can connect to your TV, a console you can bring out anywhere. Switch inherited the Wii and DS philosophies, which is impressive by itself.

Or this

FSS4Yad.jpg

jman2050

Yeah the Wii U concept was a continuation of the DS concept, not what they did with Switch. It was meant to have a second screen using touch for gameplay ideas based around that. Off tv play kind of became a by product of that but it was really not the concept of the Wii U.

I tend to believe the opposite. I think the goal from the start was untethering the console from the TV but either because of technical unfeasibility or not being fully committed to the design they came up with this weird compromise and tried to push the second screen business instead.

KodaRuss

I was really not sure about it either when I saw the reveal. I love mine now though. You can trust Nintendo to surprise people.

Renekton

I don't get it myself.

It's not very portable. Yet to achieve what portability it has, it becomes underpowered and underfeatured as a living room console.

I just don't understand its success.

I don't get it myself.

It's not very portable. Yet to achieve what portability it has, it becomes underpowered and underfeatured as a living room console.

I just don't understand its success.
Not very portable how exactly?

Is a tablet not portable?

3DS XL?

Ponn

Banned
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I guess everybody in the West was really doubting the portable aspect of the Switch.

Hell no. I was saying it was going to be big when the first rumors of it actually being a hybrid started to surface. And i'm not even a big Nintendo fan. I love my Vita still and yes it flopped but it really showed me how great having a powerful console as a portable was and the potential of it if done right. People really underestimate the demographics of adult gamers who grew up and now have kids and also those that want to play Zelda on the toilet.

As many in this thread have pointed out they feel it's a console that be portable for a couple hours, is proving the point of the EA VP

no, it's not. Switch's versatility is half the point to its design and that owners define their use of the console with different terms that ultimately mean the same thing doesn't suggest that they're confused by the concept at all

Top Bottom