• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog is 18 years old today. Lets look back, then forward. (no, 56k, no)

aurto511 said:
bwie1.jpg

Oh man, i had a comic book with this cover!

Or something really alike lol

iidesuyo

sonic3_knuckles.jpg

Why the hate for the Euro Sonic 3 cover? I always liked it :-/

As a kid, this poster hang in my room (not my photo though):

rel_sonicposter.jpg

I was soooo cool!!

I said this before but it oddly got ignored.

Most of us want Nintendo EAD Tokyo to get to work on a Sonic game. But they need to hire Artoon for the art direction and character designs, I mean look at Span Smasher:

Can you imagine how amazing Sonic would look in a world like that with such imaginative and colorful looking characters?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Firestorm said:
Oh god seeing all the screens all laid out like that really puts how far he's fallen into perspective.
Dammit.

I'm depressed now.
Hahahahaha.

;_;

I'm kind of torn. On one hand, I hate Artoon and think they've yet to do a really great game (though Yoshi's Island was alright), but on the other, Sonic Team has become such a gigantic failure that I'd rather take my chances with them if only because Oshima's there. :\

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Fuu said:
Does the person who did this has an online gallery?

I don't know. I don't remember where I found that art (it was probably on google image search) and never could find a source or a bigger version. :(

Google should just flat out buy TinEye and implement their image matching search so we wouldn't have this problem.

The original name of the file is "Green_Hill_Zone_by_UpaUpa.jpg".

Edit: And there we go:
http://upaupa.deviantart.com/

Interesting, dude is a fellow Brazillian and i didn't know that. :D

There's even a big, awesomer version of it. Sweet.

Gagaman

Xater said:
The Op is amazing. It starts awesome with fond memoeries and then gets progressively worse. :lol
Selecting the best bits of the old days and the worst bits of the new days is all rather convenient. How about replacing the old stuff with Sonic 2 game Gear's first boss, Sonic Labyrinth and the new days with Brawl and a day stage from Unleashed, you could make it look like things got better! :lol

Sonic 1 and 2 is where it's at. The series should have just stopped there as far as I'm concerned. Sonic got me into the Genesis which in turn introduced me to the glory that was Bill Walsh College Football. This one's for you Sonic, you blue thing.

Gamecocks625 said:
Sonic 1 and 2 is where it's at. The series should have just stopped there as far as I'm concerned. Sonic got me into the Genesis which in turn introduced me to the glory that was Bill Walsh College Football. This one's for you Sonic, you blue thing.

I can only assume you've never played Sonic 3&K...

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
The Experiment said:
I dunno.

People for whatever reason want plotlines in their platformers. Why? I have no idea but in a SMG2 thread, people seemed irked at the thought that storyline would be reduced to almost nothing.

Personally, I want plot the fuck away from games. If Sonic, Mario, whomever is in a jungle level first and an ice level second, as long as the gameplay is good, it's all good. I think storylines killed platformers or at least beat them down to the anemic state they are today, where the only thing carrying platformers is name recognition and even that is fading.

I wouldn't mind a Sonic 4 that would be 2.5D that essentially recycle Genesis gameplay ideas. Recycling might seem offensive but recycling Genesis gameplay ideas beats the hell out of beastiality, werehogs, and shooting shit up with a gun because you are just a gangsta like that.

This. Using your imagination is a good part of what made old games fun. Voices, tons of story, etc fuck up what didn't need any fixing.

I'm fine with having some basic plot so long as they don't keep trying to turn Sonic into serious business Final goddamn Fantasy as they've pretty much been doing since Adventure 2. It's a game about a blue Hedgehog that runs fast; I don't need fucking Evangelion.

Chao

I AM JOHN! said:
I'm fine with having some basic plot so long as they don't keep trying to turn Sonic into serious business Final goddamn Fantasy as they've pretty much been doing since Adventure 2. It's a game about a blue Hedgehog that runs fast; I don't need fucking Evangelion.

They did a pretty basic storyline in Sonic Unleashed... and fans complained too.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
drizzle said:
I want to run around in this environment.

Some of the topography could be pushed a bit more, but I like what they were going for.

Nikorasu said:
No way. The Spencer Nilsen soundtrack is way better and that is all there is to it. I can't believe Game Fan actually deducted 30 points from the Sonic CD score because they didn't like the Nilsen soundtrack. This guy is a brilliant composer and it's an injustice to his work that Game Fan actually deducted 30 points from the score of Sonic CD simply because his music replaced the original Japanese soundtrack.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Catalix said:
I want to run around in this environment.

Some of the topography could be pushed a bit more, but I like what they were going for.

The sad thing is that SEGA knows this, they just wont give it to us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHfUpBZ5DgU&hd=1

It's the only HD video of the Green Hill stage in Sonic Adventure 2 (running on a Dreamcast emulator for high resolution graphics). The original had the actual Green Hill Song (here's a link to it,the video quality is shitacular, but the gameplay is much better).

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
evilromero said:
No way. The Spencer Nilsen soundtrack is way better and that is all there is to it. I can't believe Game Fan actually deducted 30 points from the Sonic CD score because they didn't like the Nilsen soundtrack. This guy is a brilliant composer and it's an injustice to his work that Game Fan actually deducted 30 points from the score of Sonic CD simply because his music replaced the original Japanese soundtrack.

this

American tracks > Japanese tracks

Sanjuro

I still think Sonic 2 was the best game in the series by a large margin with the first title the only one remotely close.

Chao said:
They did a pretty basic storyline in Sonic Unleashed... and fans complained too.

Well, they introduced Chip... I personally find him to be the most annoying of any of Sonic's friends. It's like being followed by Charmy the Bee who doesn't shut up about food.

gwiz210

In case you didn't see it last year, Jun Senoue (guitarist of Crush 40, SA series composer) and Takenobu Mitsuyoshi (Mr. DAAAAYTOOONA himself!) made this video for Sonic's 17 birthday.

Kibbles

He's already graduated? 3 more years until that little blue guy will be drinking. *sniff* Time goes by so fast.

RagnarokX

Oh yes. Three years of pure awesome, fifteen of pure crap. How I miss the good ol' games.

28wmhwz.gif

Yes, the fifteen years had a couple of decent games, but not as good as the classics.

RagnarokX said:
Oh yes. Three years of pure awesome, fifteen of pure crap. How I miss the good ol' games.

28wmhwz.gif

Yes, the fifteen years had a couple of decent games, but not as good as the classics.

I dunno, man. I, personally, would put Sonic Rush Adventure up on the same plateau as the Sega Genesis games. It really is that good.

Sanjuro

jepjepjep said:
Really? Have you played Sonic CD?
I'm a huge Sonic fan. I've practically played every game. Besides the "Sonic Boom" intro, Sonic CD is looked back on a bit too fondly...however it's hardly a bad game.

I never liked Sonic 3 or Knuckles a great deal either. For myself that was the point of the franchise beginning to stale as well as the Game Gear/Master System versions as well past "Sonic 2".

orioto

Good Art™
First Sonic on Genesis was my first game, so much emotion !!!! I was so bad at videogames that i paid a friend with pins to make him finish it in front of me:lol

SanjuroTsubaki said:
I'm a huge Sonic fan. I've practically played every game. Besides the "Sonic Boom" intro, Sonic CD is looked back on a bit too fondly...however it's hardly a bad game.

I never liked Sonic 3 or Knuckles a great deal either. For myself that was the point of the franchise beginning to stale as well as the Game Gear/Master System versions as well past "Sonic 2".
I definitely agree re: Sonic CD. Just played it recently (on an actual Sega CD) and it's pretty fun, but far too easy. Some of the level designs are pretty mediocre. To me its a tier below Sonic 2 and 3.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I'm gonna play some Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection on 360 to celebrate the blue hedgehog's big day.

Gagaman

Sega1991 said:
I dunno, man. I, personally, would put Sonic Rush Adventure up on the same plateau as the Sega Genesis games. It really is that good.
Really, that good? I just won this on Ebay tonight just before I read this, funnily enough. Hoping to win the first Sonic Rush later too. Really LTTP on those.

Gagaman said:
Really, that good? I just won this on Ebay tonight just before I read this, funnily enough. Hoping to win the first Sonic Rush later too. Really LTTP on those.

The only real downside to Sonic Rush Adventure is that it has a little bit of the Sonic Unleashed thing where you need to collect XYZ before you can get to the next level. In the case of SRA, you need to get "materials" so Tails can build better boats. Depending on the ranks you get on levels, you will get different amounts of materials, and each level has a different material type.

But, at least for me, whenever Tails would need materials for something, it usually meant replaying a level once in order to get them.

The Original Sonic Rush is good, too, but it's a little janky (relies too much on memorization - Sonic Rush Adventure, thankfully, doesn't).

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
LTTP, but I just gave Sonic Megamix a whirl for the first time--on the genuine hardware. Smart move of the team making it a Sega CD game.

A little rough around the edges, but pretty fucking nice overall. Nice blend of old and new gameplay and stage design. I definitely prefer it over every 2D outing since the Genesis days, but that's not saying a whole lot. :p

Top Bottom