• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| July 2017 | Princess, I've Seen the Way You Look At Me.

Oh, I don't have the fortitude to attempt to read everything. Of the older marvel series, I am reading Lee/Kirby's FF (which I am loving) and am attempting to read Lee/Ditko Spider-Man (but I have not gotten very far in that). I also plan to read the Thor run sometime.

Ah, I see! You have chosen wisely. I think there's a good reason why Marvel released Essential Volumes of the old works...
I think you'll be good reading just Fantastic Four and Spider-Man. Spider-Man is nearly flawless for 100 issues, or at least compared to the rest of the crap it was released alongside in comparison.

Phamit

YsFaEJz.png

Yeah, not even sure if I am continuing the main run. No way I am tracking down some event that seems to contain another run I dropped. (Detective Comics). But Nightwing was decent. Hmm.

The Event was Trash anyway, don't bother

Donnie, a tread in the OT might interest you...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1406650

Haha! Why did the OP do that! It's not a HB movie, but it is a creepy fish man story and Guy Davis did concept work on it, and of course Doug Jones so I see why someone might see that connection. It sounds really good though, from what I've read before it sounds a bit creature of the lagoon/ misunderstood love story kind of thing. Really looking forward to the trailer dropping!

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
It's actually a bit crazy how much that alien thing looks like Abe. Like, it honestly just looks like it's Abe that got a slight visual upgrade for a sequel, or something like that.

It's actually a bit crazy how much that alien thing looks like Abe. Like, it honestly just looks like it's Abe that got a slight visual upgrade for a sequel, or something like that.

Thats because Abe is best fishman! There's no going up from that,so you can only crib. Now I really want to see it haha the similarity is probably just a result of having the same talent involved.

Bii

Watched Spider-Man: Homecoming. It was good all around. Vulture was a fantastic baddie and I really like the cast diversity.

Messi, how long are you staying in the US?

I mean first the Grey is the the smallest of the four, and already that's something, it tells you that the guy isn't about physical confrontation. His outfit resembles a robe, and it's got gold on it, and again, that speaks to something, that evokes a religious leader of some kind, but more importantly it's a point of interest. It's things that catch your eye, and that make you wonder about the kind of dude he is.

Same for Killer Croc, beyond the fact that he's big and huge. There's the bare arms, and the orange lines in the outfit, all putting the emphasis on his musculature. You immediately get that he's physical, that he's come to fuck shit up.

I mean shit, you can even look at Corvus Glaive on the far left, and you see an older, leaner guy, whose clothes seem to be in tatters, and you kinda get instinctually that this is a guy who has been at it for a while. The weird spear even tells you that he's an expert at some kind of alien combat technique.

And, I'm not even saying that because I know those characters, this is just stuff that people can immediately infer from looking at them, which is what design is here for.

Meanwhile let's take a look at Proxima Midnight:
-Uh she's blue
-She's got a generic space armor, which doesn't even seem to have any kind of flair
-She's holding a spear

There isn't really any story that's being told, aside from, well this is a lady that fights in space with a spear.

Again, when I say "interesting", I just mean "that, in any way, tells or implies a story".

A number of these issues are rooted in her original design. What you see in Proxima Midnight is a fairly built - in relation to Ebony and Corvus - warrior. Given the spear and the armored left arm, she's a head-to-head combatant. She doesn't rely on brute strength alone though, unlike Black Dwarf. Her new armor design and the spear point to technological enhancements to her body, in stark contrast to Corvus' more fantasy style design.

You enjoyed her original design more than you enjoy her film one. That's cool. But let's not act like Black Dwarf and Ebony Maw are great designs that stand far beyond Proxima.

Aizo

Banned
Can I read Šejić's Suicide Squad #20 without any prior knowledge? And where does that storyline continue?

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
In case you wondering Monstress Vol 1 has sold 37,312 copies between July of last year and May. That's really good. The only two series that seem to sell better in trade form are Saga and Paper Girls. That one trade will probably fund the series for as long as they want to make it.

In case you wondering Monstress Vol 1 has sold 37,312 copies between July of last year and May. That's really good. The only two series that seem to sell better in trade form are Saga and Paper Girls. That one trade will probably fund the series for as long as they want to make it.

Good news. Hope they can keep it interesting for the long haul.

Didn't Seven to Eternity do well?

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Didn't Seven to Eternity do well?

It has done pretty good in trade. It came out in Feb though so it only has 4 months of data and Seven's first four months aren't quite as good as the first four months of Monstress.

Feb 2017: 8,911 (1st)
Mar 2017 1,929 (39th)
Apr 2017 2,013 (29th)
May 2017 1,785 (46th)

BUT Seven is selling way better in singles. Last two issues of Seven have sold 32k and 30k which is really good. The last two issues of Monstress both sold 16k which is still good for an Image title. Just not ridculously good like selling 30k+.

Messi

Can I read Šejić's Suicide Squad #20 without any prior knowledge? And where does that storyline continue?

Yup, a generation knowledge of the characters will help but you will be fine. Not to be funny but the storyline continues in #21. Also sejic is only on one issue if that's why you are buying it. He is currently on Aquaman for an arc.

Aizo

Banned
Yup, a generation knowledge of the characters will help but you will be fine. Not to be funny but the storyline continues in #21. Also sejic is only on one issue if that's why you are buying it. He is currently on Aquaman for an arc.
Ah. I misunderstood. I saw that it was described as "“FALSE FLAG” part one," and the next issue doesn't mention that arc, so I thought it was continued in other comics. I don't get it.

I'm aware of the Aquaman arc, though! I'll pick that up for sure at some point. I also know nothing about Aquaman, so weeeeeeeeeeee

Messi

Ah. I misunderstood. I saw that it was described as "“FALSE FLAG” part one," and the next issue doesn't mention that arc, so I thought it was continued in other comics. I don't get it.

I'm aware of the Aquaman arc, though! I'll pick that up for sure at some point. I also know nothing about Aquaman, so weeeeeeeeeeee

You'll be fine of you pick up his first issue of aquaman too.

It seems DC is big on defining the storylines during Rebirth. Most are listed as part one two three ect. Probably helps outsiders understand and follow along easier.

Why is Brubaker/Phillips' Incognito not on CMX? Where can I buy it digitally?

If I had to guess, that'll be something to do with it being an Icon book and that it hasn't received a rerelease by Image yet. I'm going to go ahead and assume Marvel hasn't put Icon stuff on Unlimited?

It's not that great imo. Not terrible either but when it came out it paled in comparison to Criminal for me significantly.

Aizo

Banned
Good to know. And yes, I had checked Marvel Unlimited, so I guess Icon stuff isn't on there.

Are any of Marvel's imprints really doing anything nowadays?

Top Bottom